The Daily for Thursday Dec 3, 2020

richwmn

today is National Roof over Your Head Day, Make a Gift Day, and International Day of Persons With Disabilities

I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Meal suggestion for today - Cheesy Beef Empanadas

Drink of the Day - Caramel Apple Martini

Wine of the day - Colene Clemens Pinot Noir Chehalem Mountains Dopp Creek vintage 2014

at Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam destination Sint Eustatius eta 12/11

at Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Northwest Providence Channel
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Panama Canal eta 12/3

Bonaire Anchorage
Oosterdam

Gibraltar West Anchorage
Noordam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Southampton GB
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

1203World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  A sad day for people without roofs over their heads, a great day for gift giving, and a salute to the alternate abilities some people offer.  Love the quote, but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Carrot and Orange Bisque, Ribbon Zucchini Risotto, and a Butterscotch Sundae, as served on the Prinsendam December 3, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Me and my brother

The nursing home on Vict0riann’s street

durangoscots, her niece, and niece’s daughter on the November 29 death of her niece’s husband.

Dismomx5's niece-nurse turning covid-positive

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dimentia

Mary229's sister with cancer

Ine with DH facing cardiac surgery

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Cat Shepard on a getaway to the Keys and sending us photos

Happy belated birthday USN59-79

Welcome Jan Swartz

Mamaofami’s grandson Covid negative

Vaccinations starting in UK

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

I am thankful to have a roof over my head.  I am knitting hats to donate to our local schools.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, I think I'll get some beef out of the freezer.

The drink sounds sweet and yummy.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List, and a cheer to everyone with a reason to celebrate.

Take care.   Stay safe.

• Like 11

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Let us all be grateful for our roofs over our heads and our ability to make a gift.  We all have a lot to be thankful for.  A big cheer for those whose abilities are different than ours.

I love that quote and the meal sounds good too.  I’m not sure about the drink of the day.  I’ll wait for summer’s description.

It poured again last night - as if we didn’t have enough rain.  There are streets in the city that are closed due to flooding.  

71A207B1-8FA4-4663-9B4C-A31ACAD745E1.thumb.jpeg.056ee052f06d6e6d88e33a5d17c935f0.jpeg

Thankfully our little town is fine.

All the talk about advent calendars made me sad I didn’t have one this year:

96435936-B832-424C-9500-3FE642A893B6.jpeg.48b7665d8d6c4e91d8db672d2741c0b4.jpeg

In these turbulent times, this has never been so true:

2A346F70-AEE1-4830-A2DE-76B66479506F.thumb.jpeg.547ac0525da1c6f4283323a68c02ae5c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a big toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday, everyone!!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 20

A great group of days to celebrate today.  We especially need a sound roof over our heads now with the cold, rain and snow settling in this winter.  

@kazuI love your photo additions today.  Too funny!

Today's stockings are ones I made for two grandsons.  As I said yesterday, their Mom loves the village scenes.  I enjoyed making these stockings a lot because they reminded me of the Colonial Williamsburg buildings.  In the 1990's we lived in Williamsburg and I made many intricate cross stitch pieces showcasing the beautiful buildings in Colonial Williamsburg.  

enhance

• Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We are thankful every day for a roof over our heads, and admire the strength of people with disabilities. 

@puppycanducruiseI love hearing that you're also knitting toques for children; since retirement, I've knitted and donated over a thousand to students in underprivileged areas of our city.  I'm currently working on a large batch that will go to a men's shelter, so I guess I'm in on the "Make A Gift Day".

@kazuI thoroughly enjoy the funnies you share, keep them coming!

I've never had a beef empanada, and am not fond of Roy's alternate suggestion, so I think I'll go to the "ice cave" and bring out something for dinner.  I'll give it a lovely French flair and call it La Surprise de Ice Cave.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

Good morning.  Cable went out last night and I lost track of time.  Very blessed to have a roof over our heads.  It's 47 here in mid-south Florida.  I've been making gifts, and think of people with disabilities when the weather get cold.

Chuckled at the quote and the meal sound delicious.

Caramel Apple Martini:

Ingredients. 2 ounces Apple Cider. 2 ounces Caramel Vodka. 1 ounce Butterscotch Schnapps. Sliced fresh apple caramel, and / or cinnamon sugar for garnish.

Jacqui your picture made me laugh out loud.  Wine and coffee, the staple of life.

Prayers for our care list, especially for those with upcoming surgery's.

Celebration our other list, especially the vaccinations beginning.

Booked a 23 Mediterranean cruise leaving Civitavecchia a day or two ago for October.  Hope things are ready by then.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 15

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a cold and sunny day here in SE PA. Supposed to get rain on Saturday.

Two years ago today, I flew to Rome for 1 night precruise stay before boarding the Nieuw Statendam on her premiere voyage. Hard to believe it was 2 years ago. It was a great crossing with many CC friends onboard.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

@rafinmdneed to add rjbean4 to our prayer list. She posted on another thread of losing her Mom in October.

• Like 11

Happy Day to you Rich. Thank you for the Daily.   

Today is make a gift day and I'll tell you my story. In Montana we were invited to yearly gift exchange. You had to make it or bake it and it was a secret Santa. I made an afghan. Other gifts were bottled herring, whiskey in a maple syrup jug, a skinning knife, knitted wool socks, dried trout, a box of fresh kindling and many canning jars, cookies and candies. Very unique Christmas and not to be forgotten!

Good morning to my friends and sisters on the Daily. Looks like our prayer list is growing again.

@StLouisCruisers those stockings are just beautiful. Do you start with an empty slate and directions? I have never made cross stitch, but admire the work of others.

I started building Sophie's tree house last night. Just need to add the ladder and put it near a window so she can watch the birdies. She's a busy girl. Then will continue with my Christmas cards, put the roast on and have an easy day.

Take care, sending prayers and blessings out to all who need them.

OOPS, nearly forgot. Our vaccines are due in Texas the week of Dec 14th. Wondering how long they will take to get distributed.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@rafinmdneed to add rjbean4 to our prayer list. She posted on another thread of losing her Mom in October

Noted.  This will be just one day since the list is getting pretty long and the death was in October.  I had to look and she was one of the major contributors to the Kindergirl thread.

Roy

• Like 8

@Seasick Sailoryou asked if I started with an empty slate and directions when making a Christmas stocking.  Yes!  I purchase a stocking kit from Dimensions and prefer their "Gold Collection" because they are the most beautiful and detailed.  The kits come with the Aida cloth, threads (in many colors), felt for the backing, a needle, wool yarn to make the hanger loop and instructions with an alphabet to use for putting names on it.   The first thing I do is apply masking tape around the edges of the Aida cloth to help prevent raveling.  Then I fold the fabric in half and in half again and place a pin to locate the center of the cloth.  Put the Aida cloth into my wooden stretcher frame, and then locate the very center of the stocking on the instructions page.  They aid you in this by placing an arrow at the top and side of the pattern and where those two lines intersect is where you begin.  Each color and stitch has its own colored icon (like a red heart or a black star) so you just follow the pattern by starting in the middle and working outward.  I agree it's a time consuming and detail oriented project, but I couldn't knit a hat, scarf or sweater to save my life, so I admire those who have that skill.  That's why it's so much fun to get together with other cruisers and work on our projects together on sea days.  I exclaim over their knitting projects and they do the same over mine.  There is a lot of talent out there!

Here are some photos of a kit I've used, and the unfinished stocking I made from it.  You can see it is on a rectangular piece of Aida cloth and it has no name yet.  Since you don't know how long the name will be and how much space it will take you can't finish any cross stitching in that area until the name is completed.

enhance

enhance

That is probably my favorite stocking I've made.  It has tinier stitches (18 count per inch) so looks more textured.  I really love that snowman!  His scarf was so hard to stitch but easier than knitting one!  One of the hardest things to do was make that gold rope on the toy sack and stitch it on there properly. 

Dozens of people stopped each day to comment on that stocking while working on it on a cruise -- even men who rarely stopped to chat with the knitters and stitchers.  The men loved it just as much as the ladies.

• Like 20

Good morning all.  Definitely good days to celebrate.  I will have to pass on the menu and drink.   @StLouis Cruiserthose stockings are amazing and I hope they will be treasured.  I made felt stockings for DH and I when we were first married, nothing in comparison to yours but I can't throw them out!  Off to the hair stylist and then home to finish addressing cards.  My best to those n Roy's lists and thanks again to the contributors to our thread.  

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Seasick Sailoryou asked if I started with an empty slate and directions when making a Christmas stocking.  Yes!  I purchase a stocking kit from Dimensions and prefer their "Gold Collection" because they are the most beautiful and detailed.  The kits come with the Aida cloth, threads (in many colors), felt for the backing, a needle, wool yarn to make the hanger loop and instructions with an alphabet to use for putting names on it.   The first thing I do is apply masking tape around the edges of the Aida cloth to help prevent raveling.  Then I fold the fabric in half and in half again and place a pin to locate the center of the cloth.  Put the Aida cloth into my wooden stretcher frame, and then locate the very center of the stocking on the instructions page.  They aid you in this by placing an arrow at the top and side of the pattern and where those two lines intersect is where you begin.  Each color and stitch has its own colored icon (like a red heart or a black star) so you just follow the pattern by starting in the middle and working outward.  I agree it's a time consuming and detail oriented project, but I couldn't knit a hat, scarf or sweater to save my life, so I admire those who have that skill.  That's why it's so much fun to get together with other cruisers and work on our projects together on sea days.  I exclaim over their knitting projects and they do the same over mine.  There is a lot of talent out there!

Here are some photos of a kit I've used, and the unfinished stocking I made from it.  You can see it is on a rectangular piece of Aida cloth and it has no name yet.  Since you don't know how long the name will be and how much space it will take you can't finish any cross stitching in that area until the name is completed.

enhance

enhance

That is probably my favorite stocking I've made.  It has tinier stitches (18 count per inch) so looks more textured.  I really love that snowman!  His scarf was so hard to stitch but easier than knitting one!  One of the hardest things to do was make that gold rope on the toy sack and stitch it on there properly. 

Dozens of people stopped each day to comment on that stocking while working on it on a cruise -- even men who rarely stopped to chat with the knitters and stitchers.  The men loved it just as much as the ladies.

I've done some cross-stitch  but prefer embroidery - but both are labor intensive. I do crochet to relax. I can knit but I'm not good at it, so it can frustrate me. 😄

These are great and I'm sure the recipients love them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

enhance

enhance

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

enhance

enhance

You are making me think I might want to pick xxx stitch up again. Not sure if I finally donated the stocking I was working to the scholarship fund. It was 80% done.  I fondly remember watching my friend’s Mom do xx stitch as a traditional Scandinavian craft in the 60s. That was before it became popular. We would go to Thumbelina’s in Solvang so she could get the materials. She was Norwegian. I realized when we were in Norway how much she had exposed us to Norwegian culture. 😁

• Like 9

Thanks for the information, Rich. The meals sounds good, but I don't have any ground beef on hand, so it will have to wait. I think I might like to try the drink of the day.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

All the talk about advent calendars made me sad I didn’t have one this year:

96435936-B832-424C-9500-3FE642A893B6.jpeg.48b7665d8d6c4e91d8db672d2741c0b4.jpeg

Kazu, my daughter sent this video earlier this week. She and I have the conversation every year. She's 29.

While Alexa tells me it is 'mostly cloudy', the sun is shining bright on the snow. Last night was so clear that the moon lit up the night with the shadows of the trees on the snow....so beautiful! 

The COVID outbreak in the city is growing, and our province will likely be moving several areas to more restricted colour zone.

Sending prayers to those on Roy's list, and to those that need them. Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask. 😷

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Good morning all my fellow Dailyites, and thank you to Rich and Roy, and everyone for all the good stuff!  I have a real, live, doctor's appointment today for my 80-year old driving license.  And tomorrow I see the ophthalmologist about my acute angles!  I have a feeling cataract surgery is in my future... 

The hummingbirds are so funny.  Yesterday I found a little male inspecting the Christmas lights (he was very interested in the red ones), and a female trying to get in the front window to the sparkly wreath!  We have been bringing in the feeders at night and they are always sitting there waiting for their breakfast in the morning.  They are spoiled children!

• Like 12