Moving on.......Luxury Cruises: from boom to bust? Channel 4

Harry Peterson

Just a heads up for what looks to be an interesting programme, and maybe an interesting discussion topic, far away from the B word:

Channel 4 Sunday, 20. December • 20:00 - 21:00

Cruising: From Boom to Bust

Documentary

Kate Quilton examines how ocean travel was transformed from a simple journey to a luxurious holiday in itself. Once the preserve of the wealthy, in the 1980s and 1990s the cruise industry became one of the most extraordinary boom stories, making luxury affordable to the masses. Then Covid shut the industry down. Joined by experts, Kate explores the boom years, the challenges and disasters that rocked the industry, and also considers the post-pandemic future.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Hmmmm - dreading the lockdown similarity to a whale!!

We are all in the same boat with that problem. Clothes shrinking and no sea spray to blame it on.

Look forward to seeing you in the flesh so to speak.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I certainly hope it will be interesting since I was interviewed for 3 hours a couple of weeks back for this. I was told it would be a positive programme.

Looking forward to watching now that I know one of our friends is on the program.

Graham.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I certainly hope it will be interesting since I was interviewed for 3 hours a couple of weeks back for this. I was told it would be a positive programme.

17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ooh... We have a star amongst us... 🌟

Andy 

Any chance of an autograph ?  Asking for a friend :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let's hope this programme isn't just the usual cruise bashing stuff. Things are bad but it could be that the epidemic will bring about a lot of change for the better.

I hope so. I need to be back at sea again being pampered by all those lovely P&O staff.

PS - does it cover tipping?😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks, will watch that.  Do you know life has continued with us pretty much as normal.  I'm the same weight I always was, still walk the dog, still go to work part time.  So apart from wearing a mask and social distancing, and not having friends over, everything is still the same.🙂

Edited by jeanlyon

On 12/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, jeanlyon said:

Thanks, will watch that.  Do you know life has continued with us pretty much as normal.  I'm the same weight I always was, still walk the dog, still go to work part time.  So apart from wearing a mask and social distancing, and not having friends over, everything is still the same.🙂

I suspect that it is pretty much the same for most people.  The only things that have changed is that we don't have friends or family round nor do we visit them, I haven't been bowling even though it is outdoors the leagues have been suspended.  I have met up once a week for a walk and socially distanced coffee with one of my friends who lives alone because she has no family so relies on friends.  I hadn't realised before this how much we rely on family for support before this and how much more difficult life is for people who are truly alone.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I suspect that it is pretty much the same for most people.  The only things that have changed is that we don't have friends or family round nor do we visit them, I haven't been bowling even though it is outdoors the leagues have been suspended.  I have met up once a week for a walk and socially distanced coffee with one of my friends who lives alone because she has no family so relies on friends.  I hadn't realised before this how much we rely on family for support before this and how much more difficult life is for people who are truly alone.

In lots of ways I am fortunate because no one from my close family has suffered with covid but for me life has changed a lot.I have only seen my son once this year and my twin once.I haven't seen my other sister at all and have only seen my Mum a couple of times(probably because they are scattered in different parts of the country)Although I have seen my daughter and grandsons more frequently they have only come inside our house twice because my daughter is worried about me catching covid,.I am missing my weekly activities (Zumba, book Club and various Church groups)and also missing meeting up with most friends,having been on walks with a couple.I am also missing going into town, regular 'lunches out!-we are in Tier 3) and of course I am missing cruising!!I realise I have not done as much as some others because I am in the 'shielded' group but I can't wait to get back to my 'normal'

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Host Sharon said:

Well I think whoever you spoke too was lying. Nothing but negativity and another big nail in the coffin of cruising especially those that were considering cruising for the first time.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well I think whoever you spoke too was lying. Nothing but negativity and another big nail in the coffin of cruising especially those that were considering cruising for the first time.

Lots of ex-entertainers having their say

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Royal Caribbean have recently said they are relying on their loyal C&A loyalty members to book their cabins and are offering double loyalty points on every cruise.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Caribbean have recently said they are relying on their loyal C&A loyalty members to book their cabins and are offering double loyalty points on every cruise.

Possibly because they know they cannot rely on new cruise passengers for the future.

• Like 2

We didn't recognise the magic of a cruise on this programme. It dwelt more on those cruise lines that like to have huge ships with all the bells and whistles as if this is all that a cruise is now. And to say that a cruise is about the ship not the destination ---- for us that is just complete rubbish.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Possibly because they know they cannot rely on new cruise passengers for the future.

They have a few interesting cruises to/from Athens for 2022, but we won't be booking in case 2021 gets cancelled. Double loyalty points won't swing it. Gary was interesting on Sunday brunch. We look forward to watching him on Iona next year.

I think they probably misled some of those they interviewed who obviously loved cruising e'g Sharon and some former entertainers/photographers etc by thinking it was going to be a positive programme but I felt they over emphasized the negatives of not paying taxes, environmental damage, poor staff conditions etc without mentioning that the newer ships would be more environmently friendly, cruiselines were trying to reduce plastic etc and generally crew were treated fairly- no mention of the effort by P and O and Cunard to repatriate lots of the crew etc.Very disappointing.I wonder what Host Sharon thought of the programme??

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think they probably misled some of those they interviewed who obviously loved cruising e'g Sharon and some former entertainers/photographers etc by thinking it was going to be a positive programme but I felt they over emphasized the negatives of not paying taxes, environmental damage, poor staff conditions etc without mentioning that the newer ships would be more environmently friendly, cruiselines were trying to reduce plastic etc and generally crew were treated fairly- no mention of the effort by P and O and Cunard to repatriate lots of the crew etc.Very disappointing.I wonder what Host Sharon thought of the programme??

give some one a stage   ............... and they're  an editors dream  

It was interesting I thought, glad to know the conclusion was the industry won’t be going bust.

I watched it and deleted it before reading this thread, so which one was Sharon?

I couldn’t work out where the photographer and his wife were being filmed, so glad at the end it showed they were on a narrow boat because I could see the port hole and was thinking it was a funny cruise ship cabin.

• Like 1