The Daily for Thursday Feb 25, 2021

richwmn

9 minutes ago, Divi said:

“Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” is the reason for my first post. Our eldest grandchild is in her 3rd year of Chemical Engineering. Her Dad (DS) and Grandad (DH) are looking forward to presenting her with her iron ring when she graduates. 

I read this thread every morning and appreciate the pictures, recipes, memes and information shared. Mostly though it’s the caring and kindness that shines through.

I do have one complaint this morning, sorry, and that is that I don’t want to read any more comments about your snow disappearing. Ours will be around until April! 🙄😀

Well hello there, Divi! Hope to see more posts from you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

we seem to be missing a quote

How about this -

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

I changed the procedure I use for generating the report, and forgot to add the quote. I'll fix it for tomorrow.

• Like 22
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

How about this -

I changed the procedure I use for generating the report, and forgot to add the quote. I'll fix it for tomorrow.

Excellent words of wisdom! And as always, thank you for even caring!

• Like 11

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

How about this -

LOL Rich 🙂.  That quote is a good one! 

No worries on the quote missing.  We appreciate all you do to keep the Daily a fun place to come to. 👍 

• Like 13

Beautiful morning here in Georgetown. It should be in the high 50s today. The weather shows the next five out of six days will have rain but that is okay because the lowest will only be in the 40s so should not have any freezing rain, thank goodness.

Rich thank you for adding the quote of the day and for making our Daily complete. Thank you for watching over us and letting us know where our dam ships are. Roy you are in my prayers. I have a feeling everything will work out fine and you'll be able to play the piano again (if you have played a piano, LOL)

Summer that cocktail picture looks like someone has already imbibed!

My sisters: I am fine from my 2nd shot. A tiny bit tender this morning but all is good. There was no wait in the Ballroom.  I walked in, showed my golden ticket was directed down a rope line and all 4 nurses were waiting and waving. So thankful. I was able to get home in plenty of time to join in our street happy hour.

Blessings, Prayers, and Cheers!

Joy

• Like 20

Not a fan of pistols, but love chocolate-covered peanuts. My birthday cake is long gone and now we're trying to cut back on the sweets. 😞  The drink today looks good, but I prefer a vodka martini. And the champagne -- wonderful!

44 minutes ago, Divi said:

“Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” is the reason for my first post. Our eldest grandchild is in her 3rd year of Chemical Engineering. Her Dad (DS) and Grandad (DH) are looking forward to presenting her with her iron ring when she graduates. 

Welcome, Divi!  My son graduated with his industrial engineering degree a few years back. While in school I think many times he would have preferred being in a school or program that required less hard work, but he realizes the payback now that he's graduated and has a great job. (He also would have preferred more girls in his classes!)

And now, as I'm starting to get my info together for income tax prep, I'm sure all of us in the US will be happy to remember that on today's date the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which permitted a federal income tax, went into effect. So, yay for that. 

Taxes : assholedesign

• Like 19
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Holy moley, I'm so late I'm on Page 2!  I had one of those nights when if it wasn't weird dreams, it was that the room was too hot, or too cold.  LOL  

I'm sure I was half asleep when I first read the days to celebrate and thought it was "Pistol Parents" which I promptly googled.  The response was "not found".  Then I put on my glasses and re-read pistol patents.  To quote Emily Letilla from SNL, "never mind."  Love chocolate covered peanuts, but don't have any on hand - DH likes them on road trips.  Our friend's daughter became an engineer and is delighted with her choice of profession.

There's so much to like about today - the drink of the day sounds good because I like gin & tonic, and love scotch, so to combine the two?  Yes!  The wine sounds like something you could eat, with all the fruits.  And the meal of the day is something I should really make because I haven't used our InstaPot for a while.  The only thing I don't have on hand are artichoke hearts, but that can be fixed with a quick grocery run.  I think that's just what we'll have for dinner tonight, a quick meal with the addition of spaghetti or buttered noodles and we're done.  And wine.

Happy Heavenly birthday to George Harrison.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask (s).  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. I can certainly relate to chocolate covered peanuts since Goobers were my favorite movie snack. Can’t even fathom how long it’s been since we were in a movie. I Algren, diamonds are forever, but maybe not just in a drink.

Sorry to our new poster, but I’m thrilled that some of our snow has melted and there’s no more in next week’s forecast.

I have my zoom book club this morning. It’s the first time I haven’t finished the book. I fall asleep over it every night. 

Stay well and safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 19

Good  morning  to  all. Our  snow  is  melting  quite  nicely  and  my  dog  walks  have  improved  in  distance. Crossing  the  streets  had  been  rather  hazardous  due  to  poor  snow  removal. Thank  you  to  everyone  for  the  pictures,recipes  and  words  of  wisdom. I  think  I  will  try the  recipe  today with  my  slow  cooker.

OK, my  "pistol" story:  I  worked  in  a  hospital  in  the  Bronx in  a  dubious  neighborhood  and  came  to  work in  the  dark  each  morning. It  was  a  great  job  with  wonderful  experiences  and  my  first  time in  :management.   It  was  also  the  eighties  in  NY  and  the  city  was NOT  safe. At  all. One  of  my  coworkers  was  worried  about  me  coming  in  from  the  parking  lot  alone. He  showed  up  at  work  one  day  with a "ladies  pistol". For  me! Just  looking  at  it  made  me  nervous  and  I  didn't  want  him  to  get  in  trouble  for  bringing  it  in  the  facility. I  let  him  leave  at  lunchtime  to  return  his "gift" to  another  location. I  thanked  him  for  his  concern  but told  him  I  would  probably  injure  myself  in  some  way ....I  never  told  anyone  about  it  except  my  family.  We  all  survived.

Terry

• Like 19

Good morning all!

As always, you had me at chocolate.  Love the quote, and happy heavenly birthday to George Harrison.  At one time I had all the Beatles' birthdays memorized.  And sadly now there are only 2 left, George and John left us way too soon.  I saw them in concert when I was 14 --- oh my, I can still hear the screaming. 😄

Will pass on the meal, even though it looks very good. We've had too many lately that are similar -- no idea what will be on the table tonight. 🙂  

Yesterday was the first time in a year that we didn't have to wear our masks when visiting the grandsons because we got our 2nd shots.  Red letter day!  Overnights will be coming soon, it's been too long. 

• Like 16

Mitzi is an engineer! She got her degree from the U of MN in electrical engineering and had a long career in military avionics and medical device manufacturing (pacemakers and leads). 

Here is some wildlife in Cabo from her 2005 retirement cruise. We didn't go into town to partake in alternative forms of wild life...

385547208_DSC02658(2).thumb.JPG.18b8c1b2570ca5639b6351a3a5c4a096.JPG

DSC02669.thumb.JPG.9c17a6fd65badc88b843b71e87441596.JPG

• Like 20

Happy to report that the day after the second jab the reaction is less than the first one; just a little tender if I rub the arm.  That was the Moderna type.  Now I feel safe to get a haircut.  Getting tired of the Albert Einstein or Boris Johnson look.  I usually get my hair cut on the local Navy base.  You can describe the cut you want by numbers: 1 is shortest, 2 about a quarter inch, etc.  Usually order number 1 on the sides and number 2 on the top.

Ray

• Like 22

Good morning from a very windy southwest Arizona.  After a high yesterday of 83F, we’re back in the upper 60s.

I like chocolate covered peanuts, but don’t remember the last time I had any.  My FIL was and DH is a mechanical engineer.  Our oldest DD and SIL are electrical engineers.

We’ll pass on the meal suggestion since it’s similar to the chicken cacciatore we had recently.  Since we have some of the sauce and veggies left from the cacciatore, I think I cook a couple of thighs I have thawing, and add them to the sauce tonight.

@Divi Welcome to posting on the daily.

@rafinmd  It must be a relief to have your next appointment and CT scan scheduled.  I agree with what someone said yesterday that your doctor doesn’t think it’s an emergency.  And thank you for the picture of @erewhon since it is always nice to have a face to go with a name.

Lenda

• Like 17

Good morning, all and thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies.  Roy, we will be thinking of you on March 9.  It's on the calendar!

I got up early today (I hate alarms so I just ask my guardian angel to wake me up at the chosen time, he doesn't have a watch so he keeps waking me up all night!) and went to the grocery store.  Cost-of-living rises definitely, I used to figure around $100, now it always seems to be around $200!  Next week will involve a trip to Costco, that will be a biggie!

We should hear on Monday about the next round of vaccinations in BC.  I have a feeling we will be waiting until April...  (over 80's).  My grandmother was American - can I come down there and get my jab?  The rollout seems to be going so much better in the States.   At least our Dr. Bonnie is recruiting dentists and other medical staff to begin to get organized.

Everyone stay safe - wear your masks and avoid Canada!

PS I prefer chocolate-covered raisins to peanuts.  I will put that on my list for Costco.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 18

Good morning and thanks all!  DH choked on the Blanc de Blanc prices and then looked at the ratings!  Sounds wonderful Ann!  
Roy, so glad things are moving forward and you have a date, the waiting is so tough!  
I will toast engineers,  I hung out a lot in University with them and even had a desk in the faculty!  DD’s hubby is one!  
Ray,  DH calls it high and tight!  He has the longest hair of his life.   We will wait until our vaccines too!  
My zoom book club did an interesting  book,  American Dirt.  
stay safe! 
a local beach scene...

6F8617E3-2900-4B10-AC7F-69E5E47D59F3.jpeg

• Like 19