Is this what we were waiting for?

Bgcruising

Well, that requires everyone on the ship, pax and crew, to be vaccinated.  And, the CDC also states that even vaccinated people should follow existing travel restrictions, and so not sure whether being on a cruise ship would constitute "travel" or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mredandchis said:

Ok basically this would mean if everyone was vaccinated on board then it would be cruise like normal. BUT if the ship docks at any port of call then we would have the restriction while there? 

Pretty much. I don't see how it would be so hard to vaccinate some tour guides etc. For limited approved excursions just to get us going again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Pretty much. I don't see how it would be so hard to vaccinate some tour guides etc. For limited approved excursions just to get us going again.

AMEN brother or sister.  I am sitting on ready and rocking on go,  Got my 2nd today and now have to wait 2 weeks.  

No, they will wait for a certain percentage of the population to be vacinnated.

We here in New South Wales  Australia, haven't had a case now for over 52 days, the vacinne started rolling out a fortnight ago. Frontline workers, the aged being the first. We have just got to 80000 that have vacinnated, still 25.1 million to go..

Why should the front line workers (yes they do a great job)& especially the elderly who have been vacinnated be able to cruise before someone like me under 50 healthy & the last group to be vacinnated. 

My better half is a RN & has had her first shot. Be able to cruise before the main population..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gtalum said:

What about the children?  No vaccine has been approved for children yet.

Is Carnival going to be willing to effectively ban children from its ships?

that is my fear. My DD is turning 18 in February but we are cruising New Years when she is till 17.  no word on her vaccine.  She is 4th in her HS class and wanted a cruise for her graduation gift. I don't want to tell her no. 

11 minutes ago, gtalum said:

What about the children?  No vaccine has been approved for children yet.

Is Carnival going to be willing to effectively ban children from its ships?

If when they restart and vaccines aren't available for certain age groups yet, I could see the requirement (again, if they do require vaccines) being only for 16+ people.  The same as how photo ID is required for 16+ to board the ship, but not for kids younger than that.  

I don't think they would ban children as families are a big part of their guests.  Maybe a line like Princess or HAL could restart with only vaccinated 16+ people, but the 4 big family lines likely couldn't swing it.  Like imagine Disney cruises only being 16 and older?  I know there are some adults crazy about Disney stuff, but could they really get enough adult only parties to sail with?

6 minutes ago, stellarose said:

that is my fear. My DD is turning 18 in February but we are cruising New Years when she is till 17.  no word on her vaccine.  She is 4th in her HS class and wanted a cruise for her graduation gift. I don't want to tell her no. 

I know she's probably not eligible yet for it, but the Pfizer vaccine is approved for 16+ right now so there should be no reason she can't be fully vaccinated by next January.  Last I heard, everyone who wants it should be able to be vaccinated by the end of May at the rate we are going.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Freckle53 said:

If when they restart and vaccines aren't available for certain age groups yet, I could see the requirement (again, if they do require vaccines) being only for 16+ people.  The same as how photo ID is required for 16+ to board the ship, but not for kids younger than that.  

I don't think they would ban children as families are a big part of their guests.  Maybe a line like Princess or HAL could restart with only vaccinated 16+ people, but the 4 big family lines likely couldn't swing it.  Like imagine Disney cruises only being 16 and older?  I know there are some adults crazy about Disney stuff, but could they really get enough adult only parties to sail with?

I tend to agree that Carnival (and likely as you noted the other big 3 family-oriented lines) can't afford to ban kids, but if kids are on the ship unvaccinated they might as well not have a vaccination requirement at all.

I am vaccinated, and my wife is trying to get vaccinated, so I'm certainly not opposed to it.  I just don't see how it's feasible for them as a requirement.

Schools are reopening despite there not being a vaccine yet approved for under 16 year olds. That would seem to say there is a safe way to proceed with children aboard as long as all adults are fully vaccinated.

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Schools are reopening despite there not being a vaccine yet approved for under 16 year olds. That would seem to say there is a safe way to proceed with children aboard as long as all adults are fully vaccinated.

Perhaps.

I would argue that school is a necessity, and cruising is not.  That's the same reason why flights have never been stopped.

I have health issues that put me at high risk (which is why I got the vaccine already), but we put our kids back in school last August.  Blocking in-person school attendance anywhere after last spring was a mistake.

And please forgive me for being argumentative.  I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate.  I hope to cruise again, but not likely until next year.

Edited by gtalum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

The Pfizer vaccine is authorized for ages 16 and up, so that should allow your daughter to get vaccinated when it becomes available to her.

• Like 1

When cruising restarts, for those unvaccinated (including children) they could require a PCR test 72 hrs prior to sailing, and then a rapid at the port. It will be the decision of the those wanting to cruise, if they want to do this.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, while they are still testing vaccines for children, my adult children told me they plan to get their children vaccinated. I was happy to hear that. Sure, we may all need a vaccination each year but it is less of an issue than having the full illness. DH and my vaccines all done two weeks ago.😉😁

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gtalum said:

Perhaps.

I would argue that school is a necessity, and cruising is not.  That's the same reason why flights have never been stopped.

I have health issues that put me at high risk (which is why I got the vaccine already), but we put our kids back in school last August.  Blocking in-person school attendance anywhere after last spring was a mistake.

And please forgive me for being argumentative.  I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate.  I hope to cruise again, but not likely until next year.

No need to ask for forgiveness.

Of course children are losing a lot more by no in person schooling than any of us are losing by not being able to cruise. I was just pointing out that there are ways to get things done when I said we are as a nation are sending children back to school. (Actually at the elementary school where my DW teaches, they are half in attendance  and half virtual with students alternating weeks. And at present they are beginning to bring the students in some grades totally back.)

3 hours ago, Freckle53 said:

Like imagine Disney cruises only being 16 and older?  I know there are some adults crazy about Disney stuff, but could they really get enough adult only parties to sail with?

You'd be surprised... This comes up a lot (well before Covid) and there are a whole lot of Disney nuts like me who would pay double just to sail Disney without kids all over the place. 😁 Not that DCL would ever have sailings like that, but it would be awesome!

• Like 2

I read on another board that Royal Caribbean's new sailings from Israel will be for vaccinated adults as well as children with a negative PCR test. 

2 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

...there are a whole lot of Disney nuts like me who would pay double just to sail Disney without kids all over the place. 

I wonder if Disney could indeed find enough "Disney nuts" to fill up an adults only cruise, specially at double their current prices, which are already grossly over inflated as they are. I need to check with my local "Disney nut" friends and ask them this question. They're the kind of people who will gladly eat ramen noodles for a year just to afford a Disney cruise. 

Here in MN we now have an outbreak in at least 15 counties. The main source is a covid variant which is spreading through sports teams and groups of school age children who are taking it home to "share" it with family. One county has been asked to stop all school and group sports, but response has not been total. Point being, unvaccinated kids are capable of spreading this stuff quite effectively. Granted if all adults on cruise are fully vaccinated it would be safer, but not 100%. And, there have been a number of kids with serious reactions.