CDC still advises vs non-essential trvl even if vaccinated

hcat

Todays online news blurbs

The CDC has released new guidelines for people who are fully vaccinated, but one thing that isn't changing is health officials are still urging against travel.

some  have disagreed and Airlines are apparently pushing back.

It appears this position by CDC does not bode well for cruising...

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

It appears this position by CDC does not bode well for cruising...

I agree, we're not going anywhere anytime soon. I was dismayed to read their guidelines.  I'm still driving down to GA in a couple of weeks.  😉

Airlines pushing back is futile. The CDC isn't going to encourage travel during a pandemic. Numbers are just now returning to late October levels. Definitely an improvement over the massive holiday spike but that is still not good. There's also valid concern that rushed easing of guidelines and spring travel lead to another spike. 

If you've ever paid attention to CDC guidance on travel, even prior to COVID, you know they always take a risk-adverse stance. 

• Like 7

Good grief.....cases are dropping like a rock in my area...

Fayette County GA....

Three days short of the one-year anniversary of the first reported Covid-19 case in Fayette County, the county’s 2-week infection rate of new cases has dropped to 5.3% after a January high of 15.3%.

Fayette’s 5.3% 2-week rate is within shouting distance of the 5% mark, considered a significant marker for the point in a pandemic when control measures and natural causes are producing consistent declines in new infections. A “pandemic” changes to “endemic” when Covid is still present in the population but no longer increasing beyond the 5% rate of confirmed new cases.

"If you've ever paid attention to CDC guidance on travel, even prior to COVID, you know they always take a risk-adverse stance. "   Very True.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

I feel as if I should copy and paste this on every one of these threads.

First, the CDC’s backbone is medical -MDs and PhDs with a strong clinical bent. They think of their advice very much like medical advice from your physician on a huge scale. Medical advice, especially lacking empiric evidence or years of practical experience, is by nature very conservative.

Second, from their perspective, cruising is about the worst possible activity one could engage in - involves travel, often international, mixing with hundreds of people not from your household in an indoor space, many of the people you are encountering are from high risk groups and there is eating (no masks) and worse drinking! Get my point? Cruising will be the very last activity released.  I would not be overly surprised if the CDC did not keep restrictions on cruising from US ports until WHO declares the pandemic over and/or we go through another entire winter season, just to judge how durable is the immunity from vaccines and disease.

They might allow cruising with all the restrictions- social distancing, reduced capacity, masking, vaccinations - but that might be with reluctance. Airlines have a lot more political pull to exert influence externally on CDC.

I think at this point, more realistically, RCL might restart from a foreign port (Caribbean or Mexico), and Americans fly in.

• Like 13

I am still hopeful they will say domestic travel is ok later in the spring or early summer as more people are vaccinated.

The UK is allowing domestic cruises for English residents starting May 17th.  https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/uk-domestic-cruises-given-may-17-green-light

The problem is the US doesnt allow domestic cruising. 

Edited by Crazy planning mom

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The CDC continues its undying hate for the cruising industry.  Not a surprise.

I understand why you and many others on CC feel this way.  But why would the CDC hate any industry?  The CDC is a collection of scientists, medical professionals, as well as politicians and government bureaucrats.   This diverse collection of opinions had the definite idea that cruise ships were putting people at high risk of being exposed to a pandemic virus.  And that was the definite case a year ago when the industry was shut down.  People and crews were stranded at sea.  A lot of deaths too.  But now they are being very conservative in recommending what to open and when as vaccines (and better therapies and procedures) have emerged over a relatively short time.  I might be in the minority here but I do not see this as hate of the cruise industry.   Just continued caution.  And I am cautious too.  I don't plan to cruise until ships are certified vaccinated. Both passengers and crew.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

I feel as if I should copy and paste this on every one of these threads.

First, the CDC’s backbone is medical -MDs and PhDs with a strong clinical bent. They think of their advice very much like medical advice from your physician on a huge scale. Medical advice, especially lacking empiric evidence or years of practical experience, is by nature very conservative.

Second, from their perspective, cruising is about the worst possible activity one could engage in - involves travel, often international, mixing with hundreds of people not from your household in an indoor space, many of the people you are encountering are from high risk groups and there is eating (no masks) and worse drinking! Get my point? Cruising will be the very last activity released.  I would not be overly surprised if the CDC did not keep restrictions on cruising from US ports until WHO declares the pandemic over and/or we go through another entire winter season, just to judge how durable is the immunity from vaccines and disease.

They might allow cruising with all the restrictions- social distancing, reduced capacity, masking, vaccinations - but that might be with reluctance. Airlines have a lot more political pull to exert influence externally on CDC.

I think at this point, more realistically, RCL might restart from a foreign port (Caribbean or Mexico), and Americans fly in.

Well said. Your post will not be popular, but sometimes the truth is hard to accept.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I understand why you and many others on CC feel this way.  But why would the CDC hate any industry?  The CDC is a collection of scientists, medical professionals, as well as politicians and government bureaucrats.   This diverse collection of opinions had the definite idea that cruise ships were putting people at high risk of being exposed to a pandemic virus.  And that was the definite case a year ago when the industry was shut down.  People and crews were stranded at sea.  A lot of deaths too.  But now they are being very conservative in recommending what to open and when as vaccines (and better therapies and procedures) have emerged over a relatively short time.  I might be in the minority here but I do not see this as hate of the cruise industry.   Just continued caution.  And I am cautious too.  I don't plan to cruise until ships are certified vaccinated. Both passengers and crew.

Well said, TeeRick!  Once we can be back on board in 2022, I will buy you an AI beverage.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I just posted this in another thread on May cancellations, but thought is important enough in this conversation too... TeeRick and our group were to be on the same Iceland trip I noted below...

We are just holding onto our FCC's until we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  IMHO we are not there yet... It is looking more promising, but not yet... We would love to cruise as have over 40 under our belts... BUT...

It is not only the cruisers, but the crew and staff members that will need to be vaccinated as well. Additionally, The Ports would have to have some level of vaccination/safeguards in place, as the experts are still unsure if those that have been vaccinated can still spread the virus.

For us -- it is just not worth trying to book something at this point - lifting and shifting; moving and changing --UGH!!  You know the cruise lines are cash strapped and Princess just raised the deposit amounts significantly. I have about 3K outstanding in FCC's with Celebrity and we got back the 10K - all parts incl. air (thank goodness) on a scheduled Iceland trip last year -- not ready to put out any more $$$ at this time.  My advice -- wait and see.... 

Hope to see you all soon...😊🛳️

Edited by neilrr
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Absolutely correct!  Proud of our scientific community for standing behind the science now.  Simply put, mass gatherings without the vaccine is like playing NFL football without a helmet!!!

• Like 12

When my personal physician recommends too conservative a course, I can get a second opinion.  The CDC is a bureaucracy that brooks no competition. But in most areas it can only advise — and more and more people have figured out its prejudices and just ignore it. I don’t know if cruises from the US will be allowed by September, but I will be sailing in the Med, CDC or no CDC. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When my personal physician recommends too conservative a course, I can get a second opinion.  The CDC is a bureaucracy that brooks no competition. But in most areas it can only advise — and more and more people have figured out its prejudices and just ignore it. I don’t know if cruises from the US will be allowed by September, but I will be sailing in the Med, CDC or no CDC. 

I agree.  We just booked a Reflection Med cruise for October 2022, followed immediately by a different Med itinerary on the Apex.  We are also on the Apex TA that follows that one.  However, my DH who is a microbiologist and has worked with the CDC in his career, and I are concerned that the CDC may hold up cruising at US ports for a long time....even past the end of this year.  We booked the Reflection trip so that we would have a good amount of time in Europe just in case the Apex is unable to do the  October 2022 TA based on CDC "guidelines."   If we are wrong we will most likely cancel the Reflection cruise but we just don't feel confident of cruises being allowed at US ports for the foreseeable future.   Yes,  I hope we are wrong.

18 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

I thought it a bit ironic that the CDC said that you could get together with vaccinated family members, but you should not travel to see them. Huh ????

And you don't see the major difference between gathering in a small group of vaccinated persons versus traveling with who know how many people not vaccinated?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I agree.  We just booked a Reflection Med cruise for October 2022, followed immediately by a different Med itinerary on the Apex.  We are also on the Apex TA that follows that one.  However, my DH who is a microbiologist and has worked with the CDC in his career, and I are concerned that the CDC may hold up cruising at US ports for a long time....even past the end of this year.  We booked the Reflection trip so that we would have a good amount of time in Europe just in case the Apex is unable to do the  October 2022 TA based on CDC "guidelines."   If we are wrong we will most likely cancel the Reflection cruise but we just don't feel confident of cruises being allowed at US ports for the foreseeable future.   Yes,  I hope we are wrong.

If cruising hasn't resumed by October 2022, there won't be a cruise industry as we know it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Good grief.....cases are dropping like a rock in my area...

Fayette County GA....

Three days short of the one-year anniversary of the first reported Covid-19 case in Fayette County, the county’s 2-week infection rate of new cases has dropped to 5.3% after a January high of 15.3%.

Fayette’s 5.3% 2-week rate is within shouting distance of the 5% mark, considered a significant marker for the point in a pandemic when control measures and natural causes are producing consistent declines in new infections. A “pandemic” changes to “endemic” when Covid is still present in the population but no longer increasing beyond the 5% rate of confirmed new cases.

"If you've ever paid attention to CDC guidance on travel, even prior to COVID, you know they always take a risk-adverse stance. "   Very True.  

Decisions tend to be made looking at global numbers, not one county

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If cruising hasn't resumed by October 2022, there won't be a cruise industry as we know it.

I didn't say it wouldn't have resumed by then...just that it may not have in the USA, at least not for longer cruises like a TA with many sea days in a row.  I expect 7 day Caribbean sailings will be sailing before the end of 2021. And, again, I hope I'm wrong about the longer cruises.