CDC still advises vs non-essential trvl even if vaccinated

hcat

2 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We are vaccinated. So why does the CDC want us not to travel, especially to visit other people who have been vaccinated. This whole lockdown situation is getting tiresome and it is not following the recommendation of many outspoken doctors.

Too many unknowns/falsehoods on who really has been vaccinated or not.  There is so much push back on the vaccines, it's scary.  Lock down is tiresome, but we personally know too many people that got sick and/or died.  Travel is a super spreader and until more people realize this, it will be slow to return to the old days. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We are vaccinated. So why does the CDC want us not to travel, especially to visit other people who have been vaccinated. This whole lockdown situation is getting tiresome and it is not following the recommendation of many outspoken doctors.

You are not on lockdown. You can literally do nearly everything you would otherwise do in your normal life with zero consequences even if you ignore recommendations. You can fly domestically on a 100% full flight.  Drive anywhere you want. There are 60+ countries open to Americans for tourism if you chose. You just can’t go on a cruise or travel to Europe. 

Guidance saying it’s not the smartest idea to travel during a pandemic and being on ‘lockdown’ are far different things. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cluso said:

Too many unknowns/falsehoods on who really has been vaccinated or not.  There is so much push back on the vaccines, it's scary.  Lock down is tiresome, but we personally know too many people that got sick and/or died.  Travel is a super spreader and until more people realize this, it will be slow to return to the old days. 

The first part of your paragraph is true, I really wish more people would get vaccinated but Travel by vaccinated individuals is unlikely to spread the virus.

The government should stop trying to limit the activities of vaccinated individuals.  Perhaps if they encouraged vaccinated people to resume their normal life, more people would get vaccinated.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I don't think you have any real idea what "lockdown" is. Maybe do a little reading on what has been required in other countries trying to stop the spread of the virus. (Yes, I am from the same state as you.)

"Getting tiresome" does not seem an adequate reason for returning to behaviors that spread the virus and ultimately can kill others. Our state is currently THE WORST at getting folks vaccinated. What is the current rate of fully vaccinated people?  Something like 8.5% of population?  Hardly enough to be protective...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't think you have any real idea what "lockdown" is. Maybe do a little reading on what has been required in other countries trying to stop the spread of the virus. (Yes, I am from the same state as you.)

"Getting tiresome" does not seem an adequate reason for returning to behaviors that spread the virus and ultimately can kill others. Our state is currently THE WORST at getting folks vaccinated. What is the current rate of fully vaccinated people?  Something like 8.5% of population?  Hardly enough to be protective...

Everything you say may be true, but it's still time to liberate the vaccinated people.  Let the vaccinated people travel and resume their normal lives.

• Like 3

Taking all into consideration, if cruise lines begin to cruise, everyone from wherever they are will need to make their own decisions and do what they feel is comfortable for them. There is no need to criticize whatever people are saying on these posts. If the cruise lines decide to run, I would hope the people of their administration would mandate the crew and staff be vaccinated. Most countries the ship would be going to would probably make it a requirement that Everyone on ship be vaccinated.  Make your decisions based on what is best for you. We are all in the same situation. Circumstances in daily lives may be different but we are all in this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Everything you say may be true, but it's still time to liberate the vaccinated people.  Let the vaccinated people travel and resume their normal lives.

I’m not sure who is stopping you from travel.  There are a number of countries that you can travel to and the countries that are closed to travelers are closed by their choosing not the CDC or US government.  

28 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’m not sure who is stopping you from travel.  There are a number of countries that you can travel to and the countries that are closed to travelers are closed by their choosing not the CDC or US government.  

The CDC continues to advise against unnecessary travel.  As long as they continue to advise vaccinated people not to travel, the country will not return to normal life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

....and all the clueless, immature and selfish people who will pretend to have been vaccinated as well, presumably.  I've lived through a year of their denials already. 

We cannot use the lowest common denominator to control the lives of the vaccinated people that can resume their lives with little risk to others.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The CDC continues to advise against unnecessary travel.  As long as they continue to advise vaccinated people not to travel, the country will not return to normal life. 

American's don't listen to gentle guidance. Example...the massive holiday spike. That CDC warning re: travel will be posted for years. There are currently advisories in place regarding polio, yellow fever and ebola, dengue, monkeypox and measles. 

It's the same thing as some of warnings discouraging travel to dangerous or risky locations. Some of those warnings are the equivalent of saying don't travel to California because there was a murder in New York therefore the entire US is dangerous. 

28 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There have been travel advisories to various places for years.  I consider the advisories when I travel but make my decision based on my comfort level with the risk.  We are vaccinated and have book our first trip outside the US for next month.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There have been travel advisories to various places for years.  I consider the advisories when I travel but make my decision based on my comfort level with the risk.  We are vaccinated and have book our first trip outside the US for next month.   

Maybe you're smarter than the average guy  😉

• Like 1

The travel advice in the US will evolve as more and more people get fully vaccinated over the next 2-3 months.  We just need a bit more patience.  Yes some are getting antsy to move on, particularly for those vaccinated.  Understandable.  I don't see this as selfish.  Just impatience after a year now.  But definitely see the end soon.  We need to hang in there.  We will be toasting each other in the Sunset Bar on a Celebrity Cruise before you know it!

• Like 7

On 3/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, Cruising is my passion said:

Personally, I think cruising is ESSENTIAL!!

It certainly is for those employed by the cruise lines. They can't make a living without passengers, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yes, but even fully vaccinated people can be asymptomatic carriers and transmit to others.  Peanut allergic individuals can die from just kissing others who have eaten peanuts recently.  Not that all cruisers are going to be going around kissing each other but same principle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, docsneeze said:

Yes, but even fully vaccinated people can be asymptomatic carriers and transmit to others.  Peanut allergic individuals can die from just kissing others who have eaten peanuts recently.  Not that all cruisers are going to be going around kissing each other but same principle.

I'm sorry but that's not very likely.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docsneeze said:

I guess I will throw away my new t-shirt.  Kiss Me, I'm Vaccinated!  Shame I never got a chance to wear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

When my personal physician recommends too conservative a course, I can get a second opinion.  The CDC is a bureaucracy that brooks no competition. But in most areas it can only advise — and more and more people have figured out its prejudices and just ignore it. I don’t know if cruises from the US will be allowed by September, but I will be sailing in the Med, CDC or no CDC. 

An international flight and port stops on my July 2021 British Isles itinerary with Celebrity....No thank you and they know this ship should not include those of us from the US.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

How about a bit of solidarity with the people who are still patiently waiting to get their vaccine and have agreed to give your age group the priority and an earlier vaccination?

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It does so because the last thing that it wants is for spead of the variants to occur, especially the South African one that has shown some resistance to vaccines.

Also since we are on the brink of getting this under control via vaccinations you really don't want vaccinated individuals getting exposed to infected individuals any more than necessary, giving the virus opportunities to self select for vaccine resistance.

Finally while there is the clinical trial data on the vaccines  there is a lack of data on the vaccines in a large population. As a result there is reason to be conservation until that experienced is gained and the infection counts lowered substantially such that the odds of encountering an infected person is quite low, instead of depending upon the vaccine.

Basically we are on the cusp of beating this epidemic, and it is time to double down on protective measures, not relax them and risk blowing the opportunity.

• Like 5

For some folks, put it in this context if you can. What the CDC is tasked to do is to help protect almost 8 billion people worldwide against infectious, deadly diseases. Within that context, healthcare affiliation, personal affront, self- importance and vaccination status take a back seat – in a 12 passenger van – within the overall big picture. How ignominious to think that anyone knows better as to the proper protocol and process.

Travel as you like, do what you want, but always be aware, if you can, that at this time it’s still not about you. Too many variables and unknowns are prevalent around the globe. What I do in Bali can affect you in Boulder and you’re not even a willing participant. But hey, that’s not even a consideration, for some folks.      

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

How about a bit of solidarity with the people who are still patiently waiting to get their vaccine and have agreed to give your age group the priority and an earlier vaccination?

Those (you) not able to receive their vaccinations didn't agree to anything. 🙄 

• Like 2