The Daily for Thursday Mar 18, 2021

richwmn

Today is Absolutely Incredible Kid Day, Awkward Moments Day, and National Biodiesel Day

"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed. - Eminem"

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken & Cheese Tortilla Pie

Drink of the Day - Vanilla Chocolate Malt

Wine of the day - Puerto Viejo Carmenere - Chile - Red

Port of the Day - Belize City Belize

At Sea Atlantic
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 3/26

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/20

Brest FR
Eurodam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0318USA.thumb.png.795767161a8f936067c6e826446b4ae4.png

0318Europe.thumb.png.14656f347a7b8ba410fd2daa8971269f.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An excellent selection of days.  Eminem nailed it.  I've been to Belize City twice but at least not directly with HAL.   I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Raspberry Soup, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast, and Apple Cinnamon Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam March 18, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes18.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL hospitalized and declining

RIP Ger-77's Freind

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including SirPMP

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Prompt delivery of Debbie’s new appliances

Mary229's brother with open heart surgery

Jabs for StLouisCruisers DD, Vict0riann and DH. Ger-77's DH, NextOne DH, Horizon Chaser 1957's DH

Road trip for USN59-79 and DS

Nieuw Statendam in Everglades Sunday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@rafinmd, I did a bit of research today and you officially started the Care List on 7/10/20, but you had a glimmer of starting a Care List the day before when you did a "Best to", and my DS was on that list because he had been exposed to Covid and was awaiting test results.  The Celebratory/Shoutout List officially started on 8/8/20 but you did mention starting it the day before. 

Added bonus......  Plus, for those who were reading then, August 7th was the official day that Tomato Pie was one of the Days on Rich's List and we all know what happened after that!  Tomato Pie madness!

A few others:

Rich debuted the Quote and meal suggestion April 5

The wine of the day began on my birthday, June 23

The drink of the day began September 1

My first sunrise was July 9 (something like "Love the Horizon Day")

My first alternate meal suggestion was August 6, although it goes on hiatus periodically.

Anyone care to research when the wine and drink suggestions and Debbie's recipes started?

Roy

• Like 23

Good morning.  Rich, thank you for the daily.  Interesting group of days.  I have an absolutely incredible kid, lots of awkward moments, and biodiesel sounds like a very good thing.  We've been to Belize, will have to hunt for pictures.  Roy, thank you for our lists and your menu's.  Love that you researched when different posts were added to the daily.  Prayers and toasts to our lists and everyone who visits this wonderful place everyday.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Vanilla Chocolate Malt:

I chose to show the alcohol version.  Serves 4

Ingredients
6 ounces bourbon
3 cups premium vanilla ice cream (plus more if needed)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp chocolate syrup, divided

Steps
Place four heavy pint glasses in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
Add the bourbon, ice cream, milk, and four tablespoons of the chocolate syrup to a powerful blender.
Add three ice cubes, and blend until smooth. (If the mixture seems too thin, add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ice cream and blend again.)
Divide evenly among the prepared pint glasses, and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining chocolate syrup.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 7.25.52 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A few others:

Rich debuted the Quote and meal suggestion April 5

The wine of the day began on my birthday, June 23

The drink of the day began September 1

My first sunrise was July 9 (something like "Love the Horizon Day")

My first alternate meal suggestion was August 6, although it goes on hiatus periodically.

Anyone care to research when the wine and drink suggestions and Debbie's recipes started?

Roy

I did some digging and this is what I came up with:

Cat Shepard started talking about the wines on July 17 as to some ratings and began doing the descriptions on August 1, 2020.

summer slope started doing the drink descriptions on September 1, 2020

and dfish started doing links to menus and then further descriptions on January 27, 2021.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I did some digging and this is what I came up with:

Cat Shepard started talking about the wines on July 17 as to some ratings and began doing the descriptions on August 1, 2020.

summer slope started doing the drink descriptions on September 1, 2020

and dfish started doing links to menus and then further descriptions on January 27, 2021.

Thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I guess I slept in a bit today.   Water fitness isn't until 10:00 am today, so I could.   Nothing exciting going on here.  It is a rainy day in northeast Ohio.  The news said some people may lose power today due to high winds.   All of our wiring is underground here, so we should be ok.  

@kazu I knew my recipe links started fairly recently.  Thanks for doing the leg work!

Today's meal looks really easy.  I will pass because of the carbs and I have a bit of Beef and Guiness left over from yesterday that I want to finish up.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-cheese-tortilla-pie/

chicken and cheese tortilla pie.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

An extremely rainy morning in north central Georgia.  Hoping for no tornadoes today after the bad ones yesterday.

But it IS Absolutely Incredible Kid Day and I have two to celebrate today!  I should let them know because they have absolutely incredible kids to celebrate, too. 😇

And today we have a port of the day I haven't been to yet.  I'm sure I will learn a lot about it with the photos and descriptions everyone provides.  Looking forward to it.  

• Like 17

Good  morning  everyone. I  am  sure  we  all  think  our  children are  incredible   and  oh  boy,have  I  have  some  awkward  moments. I  will  choose  Roy's  dinner  today. Thank  you  to  everyone   who  keeps  this  thread  going. I  look  forward  to  hearing  about  Belize.    Terry

• Like 17

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the collection of days.  Rudolph Diesel certainly changed our transportation and deserves to have his birthday celebrated.

Love the quote.  It’s so true especially in these times.

Well, my dinner plans for last night went down the tubes.  Went to my little country market to get the cabbage & corned beef as they got a special shipment in.  Picked up the cabbage, couldn’t find the corned beef and when I checked with the butcher he apologized and said they were sold out.

So, I grabbed rib eye steaks instead and we had them last night.  Too much left over even after giving the dogs a taste so I guess it will be leftovers of some sort tonight 😉.  

Did anyone here dress up their dogs for St. Patrick’s Day?  (I didn’t):

43779199-B594-4590-8B44-40160965212D.jpeg.00fc0480ef8e266e7b594e8cebe792a6.jpeg

It warmed up and then back to a deep freeze and then back.  The backyard is all ice now 😔. Have to go out with my ice grippers on and an ice pick for support to pick up after the dogs

1B0E7E7A-DEC6-42CC-B432-84F0C8A45A13.thumb.jpeg.0545733d1a6a43866866cb8fd134fa27.jpeg

Between the sun and the semi thaws, the snow is going down.  Poor Marley is desolate to lose his snow banks.  Here he is grabbing a last sit on his shrunken snow bank.

29EDC940-BCF8-4854-B2C9-B4AB3F3D5311.thumb.jpeg.f37eb2e5a950cd8b5ccf7112dc09baa5.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a great combo of days!

Thanking you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another beautiful day in the neighborhood. Great quote. I would love one of those drinks, Summer! The meal sounds tasty, but I would need to make sure I had a bunch of people helping me eat it. 

@Mary229, praying that all goes well for your brother!

@kazu, thank you for researching the dates. More importantly, thank you for all the cartoons & memes that you have hunted down and shared. But most importantly, thank you for being one of the first, if not “the first” to offer your help in every situation.  You are so generous that way! 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Who wouldn’t want to try a wine that pairs well with “soused rabbit”? And costs less than $10? Wine Enthusiast has given the 2017 vintage an 87 rating. Other vintages hold steady at 86.  Consumer reviews are all over the place, but if you buy it & do not like it - use it for cooking.

Product Description

”puerto viejo pays homage to the port where achurra’s family ancestors arrived in Chile from the basque country.”

Appearance: Deep red color with violet highlights. Nose: Intense nose of raspberry, chocolate, menthol and a hint of smoke. In mouth: Smooth mouth entry, full on the palate and well-balanced. Pairing recommendation: Soused rabbit.

• Like 24

Since @rafinmd and @kazu mentioned other significant dates, does anyone still have a note of when I resumed the Fleet Report? I think it was in May, but I can't find my note from last year when I checked and the CC archive doesn't go back 2 years. I know I posted about it last year, but can't find that post right now.

I just found Roy's reference to the first Fleet Report - it happened on April 28, 2019

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

My next 2 sunrises will be the last I have taken on the road.  There was quite a spectacular sunrise on March 18, apparently taken from my hotel in Fremantle after disembarking QM2.

dawn0318.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 26

19 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Since @rafinmd and @kazu mentioned other significant dates, does anyone still have a note of when I resumed the Fleet Report? I think it was in May, but I can't find my note from last year when I checked and the CC archive doesn't go back 2 years. I know I posted about it last year, but can't find that post right now.

I just found Roy's reference to the first Fleet Report - it happened on April 28, 2019

Oops I just got back from searching.  And yes it is April 28.

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
    It’s another rainy day and possibly ending with flurries tonight.

I’ve been to Belize twice. Ryndam in October 2010 and 2 months later on Nieuw Amsterdam‘s NYE cruise . I went zip lining for the 1st time . 
     Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We all have incredible kids, I've certainly had my share of awkward moments, and I applaud those working on biodiesel and other alternate fuel sources.

Thank you for your caring words yesterday, it was quite a shock to learn that our friend - who had only been in hospital a week - had passed away.  He and DH went to university together and kept up their life long friendship, even though they lived thousands of miles apart.  I guess though, we've reached the stage in our lives where we are losing our friends.

On a happier note, DH did get his jab yesterday and because he didn't cry, I took him for ice cream after.  I sat in the car waiting for him, reading a book, and from the time he went into the building and came out was a speedy 45 minutes.  Much faster than the drive-through held in our capital city where the cars snaked around in a 6 hour line-up!

We stopped in Belize while on a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in 2005.  At the time we took a ship's tour to see the Xunantunich Mayan ruins; I'll always remember the bus ride there, it was like Mr. Toad's wild ride over the pot-holed roads and twisty turns!  I'm going to have to go through our photo albums to see if I can find any photos.

I'd like to try today's menu suggestion, but we still have lots of Leprechaun pie left from yesterday, so that'll be sitting on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.  Speaking of wine @cat sheparddo you think the soused rabbit had a bit too much on St. Patrick's Day?  Maybe he should be sleeping alongside this guy:  

St Patrick's day hangover cat says They're after me lucky charms | Funny saint  patricks, Cat pics, St patrick

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Rich, thank you for the daily.  Interesting group of days.  I have an absolutely incredible kid, lots of awkward moments, and biodiesel sounds like a very good thing.  We've been to Belize, will have to hunt for pictures.  Roy, thank you for our lists and your menu's.  Love that you researched when different posts were added to the daily.  Prayers and toasts to our lists and everyone who visits this wonderful place everyday.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Vanilla Chocolate Malt:

I chose to show the alcohol version.  Serves 4

Ingredients
6 ounces bourbon
3 cups premium vanilla ice cream (plus more if needed)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp chocolate syrup, divided

Steps
Place four heavy pint glasses in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
Add the bourbon, ice cream, milk, and four tablespoons of the chocolate syrup to a powerful blender.
Add three ice cubes, and blend until smooth. (If the mixture seems too thin, add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ice cream and blend again.)
Divide evenly among the prepared pint glasses, and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining chocolate syrup.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 7.25.52 AM.png

yhWow:  The chocolate syrup will get the blood sugar up.

• Like 4

Good morning everyone. It’s a rainy day here with snow showers for tonight.

I have 3 incredible kids and 5 absolutely incredible grandsons. Actually, none of them fit the definition of kids since the two youngest are 15. 

I was in Belize at least once but have no pictures. I recall hearing that it was a very dirty port, but don’t remember that being the case at all.

Have a good day all, and stay safe.

Carol

• Like 16