BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

On 4/13/2021 at 6:23 AM, Iamcruzin said:

We are vaccinating 16 and up. The problem is that in densely populated areas like NY and NJ there just aren't enough appointments. The drug stores are only vaccinating 200 people a day and with needing 2 appointments that averages to 100 a day.  This week we only provided second dose vaccines. No new patients all week. It's probably going to be like this for the next two weeks. When all of the second dose patients are finished we will start over with new patients. 

The situation in NJ is changing rapidly. Demand is dropping fast.

All 6 NJ Mega Sites are now open for immediate walk-ins.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/04/all-6-nj-covid-vaccine-mega-sites-offering-walk-in-shots-today.html

New Jersey is actually in great shape as far as projected herd immunity. NPR projects 85% fully vaccinated by July 29. Maine is projected 2nd earliest reaching 85%.  New York not too far behind

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Junkhouse said:

100% of congress has been vaccinated yet they go against science, wearing masks and miniscule attendees at the speech.  Those who are in power want to extend this as long as they can get away with it.

I read that it was estimated that 75% of congress that has been vaccinated. It surely is not 100% as there is one senator who is well known to not be vaccinated. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stallion said:

New Jersey is actually in great shape as far as projected herd immunity. NPR projects 85% fully vaccinated by July 29. Maine is projected 2nd earliest reaching 85%.  New York not too far behind

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

👍 I just read an article that said NYC is opening up completely, including the theaters, by July 1.  Such good news for everyone there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stallion said:

That’s if all the people who can will take the vaccine. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cured said:

👍 I just read an article that said NYC is opening up completely, including the theaters, by July 1.  Such good news for everyone there.

Please someone ask mayor if that includes the ports. Somehow I am sure there is some red tape there! 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I read that it was estimated that 75% of congress that has been vaccinated. It surely is not 100% as there is one senator who is well known to not be vaccinated. 

The rules are not for them - Silly. If our officials could get away with it they would be cruising on the ships and waving to us as the bid bon-voyage to all us simpletons. Rules are for the tax payers - the rest are immune.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Please someone ask mayor if that includes the ports. Somehow I am sure there is some red tape there! 

I believe the ports are not controlled by the mayors of either locales. The ports are part of the Port Authority of (the states of ) New York and New Jersey and are overseen by a Board whose members include the Governors of both states.  The CBP  at each port is controlled by the Federal Government. 

16 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I believe the ports are not controlled by the mayors of either locales. The ports are part of the Port Authority of (the states of ) New York and New Jersey and are overseen by a Board whose members include the Governors of both states.  The CBP  at each port is controlled by the Federal Government. 

So my July cruise still has 0% chance of happening from port liberty! 

Maybe the Port of Authority will open their eyes with the new C.D.C. relaxations, especially since they seem to have NO TROUBLE with Planes, Trains and Automobiles and almost all forms of transportation in and out of both Jersey and New York.

Do any of the flights currently landing in the Port of Authority's territory meet with the same stringent Covid protocols that ships will be operating under ?

Do all those ships from all over the world meet the same requirements that the C.D.C. has set on the Cruise ship industry ?

agog1.JPG

agog2.JPG

8 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I'm sure that ports aren't even on the agenda until the CDC and the cruise lines get their act together. Even if they open it's a moot point if ships aren't sailing.

53 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Maybe the Port of Authority will open their eyes with the new C.D.C. relaxations, especially since they seem to have NO TROUBLE with Planes, Trains and Automobiles and almost all forms of transportation in and out of both Jersey and New York.

Do any of the flights currently landing in the Port of Authority's territory meet with the same stringent Covid protocols that ships will be operating under ?

Do all those ships from all over the world meet the same requirements that the C.D.C. has set on the Cruise ship industry ?

agog1.JPG

agog2.JPG

I see no evidence that the Port Authority (PA) has done anything to prevent cruising.  Cruises out of NY and NJ stopped at the same time  cruising stopped everywhere else in the US, when the cruise lines paused operations and the CDC issued the No Sail Order.

The PA's website says this:

The Port of NY & NJ Is Open

at this link:

https://www.panynj.gov/port/en/index.html

I know at least two people have posted second hand descriptions of something that was allegedly said in a meeting  about cruising not resuming until 2nd Quarter 2022, but that smacks of pure speculation.  There is zero reason to blame the PA or the Governors of NY and NJ for that matter for the lack of cruising out of ports controlled by the PA.

You may have noticed there is no cruising on large ships anywhere in the US, is that the PA's fault too?

Edited by notmyrealnameoremail
typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

You may have noticed there is no cruising on large ships anywhere in the US, is that the PA's fault too?

My post is based on POST # 161 .

Please, if you know who to contact to free up the Cruise ports fill us in.

Is it the Mayors ??  Is it the Governors ??  Is it the local Departments of Health ??

WHO IS IN CHARGE ??

My post could be sent to them for an explanation. 

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

So my July cruise still has 0% chance of happening from port liberty! 

I canceled everything I had including my August cruise out of Port Liberty.  Although there are members in my party who won't sail this summer no matter what, I am still kind of bummed because it seems there may be a glimmer of hope for July and August as things seem to be progressing rapidly.  Previously, I had heard the theaters were shuttered until at least labor day.

Maybe I will go relook at 2022 and use all these FCCs!

Just now, cured said:

I canceled everything I had including my August cruise out of Port Liberty.  Although there are members in my party who won't sail this summer no matter what, I am still kind of bummed because it seems there may be a glimmer of hope for July and August as things seem to be progressing rapidly.  Previously, I had heard the theaters were shuttered until at least labor day.

According to the powers that be NY will be open 100% by July and this includes 100% attendance at sporting events, theaters etc. ??

2 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

That's a joke.  Who do you think pulls the strings.  Who places these members on the Board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cured said:

Previously, I had heard the theaters were shuttered until at least labor day.

Word was it will take until September for the theatres to be ready to present public performances, what with the recruiting and rehearsals .

The Port Authority is jointly controlled by the governors of New York and New Jersey, who appoint the members of the agency's Board of Commissioners and retain the right to veto the actions of the Commissioners from his or her own state.[37] Each governor appoints six members to the Board of Commissioners, who are subject to state senate confirmation and serve overlapping six-year terms without pay.[2] An Executive Director is appointed by the Board of Commissioners to deal with day-to-day operations and to execute the Port Authority's policies. Under an informal power-sharing agreement, the Governor of New Jersey chooses the Chairman of the board and the Deputy Executive Director, while the Governor of New York selects the Vice Chairman and Executive Director.[38][

21 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

NYC mayor DeBlasio announced today that NYC will be fully open for business on 7/1/21 with no restrictions.  He's looking to get tourism going again.  Unfortunately DeBlasio doesn't run the NY Port Authority so no telling what if anything this means for cruise industry.

https://fortune.com/2021/04/29/nyc-fully-reopen-tourism-covid/

But governors Murphy and Cuomo do run the PA...  Not that that means anything .

2 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I know at least two people have posted second hand descriptions of something that was allegedly said in a meeting  about cruising not resuming until 2nd Quarter 2022, but that smacks of pure speculation.  There is zero reason to blame the PA or the Governors of NY and NJ for that matter for the lack of cruising out of ports controlled by the PA.

Yes, but this thread was started to discuss a rumor that there is a “press release” coming any day now that will declare that the Bayonne, Manhattan, and Brooklyn cruise terminals will remain closed until 2nd quarter of 2022.  Which would mean no possibility of cruise ships leaving from or visiting the NY area until April of 2022 in the best case, but perhaps even the end of June 2022. 

If that does come to pass, and cruises do start elsewhere in the US before 2nd quarter of 2022, then I think the governors of NY and NJ can certainly be blamed. 

Didn’t Royal pay for the improvements at the Bayonne terminal?  I wonder if they could sue to get some of their money back. Maybe they could put it towards the money the need to spend in Galveston on port improvements.  

6 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

https://worldshipny.com/current-arrivals-and-departures/

This is the NJ port authority. It shows what cruises are cancelled and which are currently active. Check weekly as your cruise gets closer.

What's interesting is that our TA Anthem cruise due in October 30th isn't even listed.  The November 7th Anthem cruise is listed with no arrival time. Not sure what it all means, though I'm guessing they'll bring it over without passengers so I won't be cruising on it.  Still hoping for the Canary Islands cruise on October 9th.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:16 PM, Iplayslots said:

My brother works for the PANYNJ. He works at Port Newark in logistics and marshaling.  He told me they were going over reopening of non public ship terminals for both NY & NJ.  Someone asked about the NYC & Port Liberty cruise ship terminals.  They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

3 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Yes, but this thread was started to discuss a rumor that there is a “press release” coming any day now that will declare that the Bayonne, Manhattan, and Brooklyn cruise terminals will remain closed until 2nd quarter of 2022.  Which would mean no possibility of cruise ships leaving from or visiting the NY area until April of 2022 in the best case, but perhaps even the end of June 2022. 

If that does come to pass, and cruises do start elsewhere in the US before 2nd quarter of 2022, then I think the governors of NY and NJ can certainly be blamed. 

Didn’t Royal pay for the improvements at the Bayonne terminal?  I wonder if they could sue to get some of their money back. Maybe they could put it towards the money the need to spend in Galveston on port improvements.  

The OP said in part "They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022."  My point is that it is not shuttered now.  As far as the PA is concerned, cruising will resume when the cruise lines send ships. The PA never shut down cruising from the port, why would they do it now?

Tom