BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

My brother works for the PANYNJ. He works at Port Newark in logistics and marshaling.  He told me they were going over reopening of non public ship terminals for both NY & NJ.  Someone asked about the NYC & Port Liberty cruise ship terminals.  They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

• Thanks 1

Maybe our Anthem cruise over Thanksgiving will be moved to FL or another port that has it head screwed on correctly.  To shut down a terminal for that long when the vaccine is suppose to cure all our problems is really stupid (IMHO)

• Like 7

I will wait for the official announcement.  IMHO this would be a stupid decision to be made so far in advance.  I think the vaccines are helping a lot.  But if NY and NJ want to shoot themselves in the foot there is nothing we can do.  Katherine

• Like 9

Both governors Cuomo and Murphy have been very cautious.  Perhaps understandably so after what the NYC area went through last spring. Hopefully they will soften their positions this summer as vaccination rates rise and cases fall.  Travel and tourism are very important to NYC economy.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

My brother works for the PANYNJ. He works at Port Newark in logistics and marshaling.  He told me they were going over reopening of non public ship terminals for both NY & NJ.  Someone asked about the NYC & Port Liberty cruise ship terminals.  They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

I doubt anyone knows for sure when the NJ cruise port will open.  Many things are said in meetings, often personal opinions. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I just looked at the Cape Liberty website and went to see the ship schedule for 2021.   No ships listed.  Says to be determined.   Not very encouraging. No schedule for 2022 either. 

The exact same thing can be said about Flynn Cruiseport in Boston.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

http://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport/cruise-directory/cruise-schedule/

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The exact same thing can be said about Flynn Cruiseport in Boston.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

I hope you're right.  We're scheduled on the October 20th TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty.   Waiting. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

So there will be a press release on May 1st for us Brits is that right?

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Ships have already been pulled by both NCL and Royal...At this point you cannot book a cruise from Boston 2021.. whereas you can still book from Bayonne, NJ

I think 2nd quarter 2022 is a bit over the top but I don't see sailings from NY NJ happening in 2021 seeing how things are progressing or not progressing.  I won't feel confident until cruises from Florida start up. NY and NJ aren't in any rush and I feel like it's not even a thought. Canada is closed so no New England itineraries. It isn't even worth it for the cruise lines to come.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

The first cruises out of Cape Liberty in 2022 are 3 consecutive 11 night sailings aboard Anthem of which I am currently booked on all three. Seven night cruises don't start until February.  It seems unlikely that RCG would start with 11 night cruises.  

Hope this isn't true.  We have Anthem booked in Dec, and even in March as a backup (both 7 nights).  One great advantage of NJ is it gives us the option to drive to the port.  If we go with our Miami cruise, then we would have to fly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Ships have already been pulled by both NCL and Royal...At this point you cannot book a cruise from Boston 2021.. whereas you can still book from Bayonne, NJ

They were pulled because of Canada closing its borders and the 7 nights or less order by the CDC...nothing to do with individual ports. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I hope you're right.  We're scheduled on the October 20th TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty.   Waiting. 

I really hope your cruise goes on as scheduled , as we are booked on the Anthem for the November 7th cruise..  

FINGERS CROSSED...

All I can say is if things are supposedly so very bad, that the NY/NJ cruise terminals can't open until a year from now, we're in very serious trouble.....

I think that this assumption if way ahead of itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Ships from Boston were pulled because of the closed Canadian ports.

The point I was making is that the lack of cruise schedule on the port website means nothing.  You can check many other ports and they don't have schedules either.  I chose Boston as it was already mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1