Recent email urging us to contact the "CLIA action center"

OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I am actually rather stunned that Celebrity would send such a letter. It is, at the least, and unfocused effort. Which senators and congressmen sit on relevant committees? Where lies the power to force the CDC to allow Cruising?  Who are cruising’s legislative allies?

we might as well stand on the corner and shout “we want to cruise” for all the good this will do.

I’m in your camp on this.  The word that comes to mind I’d tacky, fight your own battles Celebrity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is such a bad move. We look to Celebrity to take the lead on this, not the other way round. Desperate and wrong to get their guests (who they have no idea of the knowledge they might have) to do this. I have to say I'm a bit shocked they've done it. 

Phil 

See my response to cruisestitch, the same reply to your post.

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I sent Celebrity back the following email reply:

Celebrity

We would be willing to contact our political representatives only if Celebrity would send us a detailed COVID response plan with specific plans on such things as exactly what type of requirements for boarding will be, what sailing conditions would be (e.g. masks or no masks requirements around the pool deck), what will happen to the cruise if a group of passengers comes down with COVID (e.g. would the cruise be terminated and if so would we receive a full reimbursement?), will ship sponsored shore excursions be the only allowed excursions, or will we be allowed to schedule our own, etc.  And what criteria will you use to determine when such restrictions will be reduced or eliminated?

Until your plans are more clear and transparent, how can you expect your loyal consumers to support you?

Excellent post! 

Wonder who at X or Royal  is  running this " campaign" ?

Leadership has been quiet lately,

• Like 2

I don’t mind this at all and I don’t consider it a political action.    This action is totally up to you  so don’t do it f you don’t agree with it.    I have received numerous requests in the past to contact my senators or representatives from other companies, or action groups.   I do submit them if I agree with them.   I have my reps on my contact list for easy emails as I have contacted them numerous times especially with complaints.   Steny Hoyer is our representative and he is always sending emails about the actions he has taken.   If I disagree, he hears about it immediately.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

All the cruise lines are foreign flagged corporations that do not pay taxes in the US, it is their employees that do so ask them!

Hal

Foreign flagged, yes they are.  They still do pay taxes in the US and the states where they have ports and/or sail from.  In 2019 Carnival paid $71million in US taxes, RCL paid $$25.5million, NCL paid $18million.  And combined, the cruise line industry generated over $55billion to the US economy.  They have many employees based in the US and they pay taxes on them as well.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mom says said:

Show us those robust, proven protocols. Or better yet, show them to the CDC.

Proven protocols for what exactly? 

Vaccines nearly eliminate hospitalization and death. We know that. The CDC knows that. 

Vaccinated people rarely get covid and evidence is mounting that vaccines nearly eliminate asymptomatic infection. The CDC knows that as well. 

Exactly what risk do you suppose is present when vaccinated people congregate? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

What's next, will BMW start asking its customers to write to their house and senate representatives in an attempt to obtain more favourable tariffs on their imported cars? Or will Celebrity start a ***** account to help defray the costs associated with their ongoing "negotiations" with the CDC?

If tariffs were preventing BMW fans from purchasing their cars and there was no justifiable reason for that action, then by all means! I'm not a BMW fsn, but I would certainly be willing to send that note to speak out about the injustice and I would be appreciative of BMW for letting me know. 

• Like 2

Carnival Corp earned 20.8 billion $ in 2019, with a net profit of 2.9 billion - the 71 million paid in US taxes then equals 2.5%

RCL paid 25.5 million in US taxes on earnings of 10.95 Billion with net profit of 1.9 billion, which equals a tax rate of 1.3% to the US.

2.7% for Norwegian 

Hal

11 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Carnival Corp earned 20.8 billion $ in 2019, with a net profit of 2.9 billion - the 71 million paid in US taxes then equals 2.5%

RCL paid 25.5 million in US taxes on earnings of 10.95 Billion with net profit of 1.9 billion, which equals a tax rate of 1.3% to the US.

2.7% for Norwegian 

Hal

and they generated $55+billion in revenue in the US

1 hour ago, D C said:

Proven protocols for what exactly?

This was lifted verbatim from the Celebrity letter. Their boast as to how safe they've made future sailings - but providing no details. Just put your blind trust in their good intentions.

If you think that it is impossible to end up with a case of Covid on board  just because the pax have showed a vaccine card at boarding, you really need to do more research. And if you think it would be impossible for that case to spread on board or in port,  ditto.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 6

Seems to me that the reason there is limited trust of the CDC is due to the fact that it has become political.  Asking Congress or the President to influence the decisions of the CDC will cause it to ultimately become meaningless.  Perhaps I'm naive but I'd prefer to have scientists making these recommendations and decisions, not politicians.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The link X provided in the email is the same link to CLIA that someone provided here on CC a few weeks ago that caused such an uproar. 

Free will, no one has to do it if they don’t want to. 

Oh for sure Sherry, it's a choice (which as I am in the UK is moot because I don't get to do that), but it still doesn't stop me from being surprised that Celebrity did it at all for the reasons I mentioned. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Sadly, the big losers are the people who work for the cruise lines or are involved with getting guests to and from the cruise.  Longshoremen, checkin staff, local transportation, airport staff, ubers, taxis, local hotels and restaurants, rental cars, etc. are the biggest losers. The cruise line employs lots of people.  However, they are not victims of the cruise line. They are victims of the pandemic.  They are or were working in businesses closed by the pandemic.  There are so many people, not just travel workers, who have lost jobs.   The virus has made many people victims even if they haven’t been physically sick.  It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that made this happen.  Getting rid of the virus controls what and when it will be safe to resume certain activities.  Cruising and travel are included. CDC doesn’t make decisions on a whim. They look at facts. They are trying to protect Americans.  If the cruise line wants to resail, they should pay attention and follow the CDC recommendations.  

• Like 1

I happily sent it.  I can’t wait to cruise. Went to Disney World, no problem.  Flew on airplane, no problem.  Drove to Key West, no problem.  Get it?  Can do any other travel.  Why not cruise?  Had both shots two months ago.  Time to cruise.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I don’t mind this at all and I don’t consider it a political action.    This action is totally up to you  so don’t do it f you don’t agree with it.    I have received numerous requests in the past to contact my senators or representatives from other companies, or action groups.   I do submit them if I agree with them.   I have my reps on my contact list for easy emails as I have contacted them numerous times especially with complaints.   Steny Hoyer is our representative and he is always sending emails about the actions he has taken.   If I disagree, he hears about it immediately.

I submitted as well, didn't see anything political about it at all.    Glad some of us were not "shocked" or "stunned" that Celebrity had sent this.  🙄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Seems to me that the reason there is limited trust of the CDC is due to the fact that it has become political.  Asking Congress or the President to influence the decisions of the CDC will cause it to ultimately become meaningless.  Perhaps I'm naive but I'd prefer to have scientists making these recommendations and decisions, not politicians.  

Scientists have wrong also. Mask or no mask or double mask.....

I'd actually sent an email to my congress person the day before I got this.  In my opinion, the latest guidelines from the CDC are ridiculous and completely unworkable.  I think I said that I suspect that someone in the CDC panel that's looking at this had a bad cruise sometime.

That said, if this offends you, delete the email.  They're not making you do it.

• Like 1

My question for those who say if the crew and passengers are fully vaccinated, we should be able to cruise. How do you prove they are trully vaccinated? Really for sure, vaccinated.

Of course if the vaccination is given to the crew by the cruise line, it is much easier to know. But passengers? I am fully vaccinated and the little 3x5" card looks like a 12 year old could fake one in less than five minutes. I remember when this all started and cruise lines were taking temperatures of passengers to embark the ship, so people started suggesting to take Ibuprofen beforehand to make sure if you did have a fever, you would pass.

And remember there is a large contingency of people that do not want there to be an easy way to prove you are fully vaccinated, for example a vaccinated passport. They feel it is discriminatory for those who choose to not vaccinate.

As with this whole damn mess, nothing is going to be easy.

• Like 2

RCG is a foreign company employing mostly foreign workers and paying no US income taxes. Last spring they showed little concern for their US customers, continuing to sail in the face of the pandemic.  Why should the US government put pressure on the CDC to support them?

• Like 1