Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

9 minutes ago, kearney said:

I am glad to see that they recognize that zero-risk is an impossible goal.

Me, too! That was one of the most important takeaways from that article, for me at least. My hope (fingers and toes crossed) is that our fellow CC posters who have essentially argued that nothing short of 0% risk will allow cruising to resume, will heed the CDC's advice, too. I also thought it was interesting that the CDC is now saying cruising can resume with "only" 95% of passengers vaccinated, i.e. not 100%. Works for me!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kearney said:

Two interesting developments 1) CDC seems to be more flexible to cruising starting by July 2) Florida, not trusting CDC is continuing to push for an injunction against CDC.  So perhaps we will have cruising out of US ports. Attaching a link to one of several stories on the CDC CDC responds to cruise line request . To me one of the most important quotes  "It said, 'Cruising will never be a zero-risk activity,' adding that the goal of the CSO phased approach was to resume operations in a way that cuts the risk of COVID-19 transmission onboard ships and across port communities." It has seemed over the past year that we moved from flattening the curve... to keep health care facilities from being overwhelmed to zero covid..an impossible goal... I am glad to see that they recognize that zero-risk is an impossible goal.  Fingers crossed that this isn't some kind of head fake.... but perhaps we will see ships sailing this summer out of Florida and other US ports.

It’s just amazing to me. Folks all bent out of shape saying the CDC won’t work with the cruise lines, and then when they do and things progress it’s a “head fake”. SMH. 

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Me, too! That was one of the most important takeaways from that article, for me at least. My hope (fingers and toes crossed) is that our fellow CC posters who have essentially argued that nothing short of 0% risk will allow cruising to resume, will heed the CDC's advice, too. I also thought it was interesting that the CDC is now saying cruising can resume with "only" 95% of passengers vaccinated, i.e. not 100%. Works for me!

If you aim for zero risk...it makes it difficult to leave the house....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

It makes it difficult to even stay in the house.  A large tree, a big storm and there you go crushed in your recliner.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

It’s just amazing to me. Folks all bent out of shape saying the CDC won’t work with the cruise lines, and then when they do and things progress it’s a “head fake”. SMH. 

Notice...this flexibility came after two states filed a law suit and NCL threatened to move.. Sorry... just looking at the guidance for kids in camp... I realize that the CDC is no longer basing guidance on science... in part because they don't have the data and have to do things a bit on the fly...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

Notice...this flexibility came after two states filed a law suit and NCL threatened to move.. Sorry... just looking at the guidance for kids in camp... I realize that the CDC is no longer basing guidance on science... in part because they don't have the data and have to do things a bit on the fly...

I don't know if we'll ever find out for sure, but the timing seems....interesting. (In a video I saw a while ago from Tony of LaLidoLoca, he says that the cruise industry and CDC officials have been in biweekly talks for some time now.) So who knows if it's the fruit of those discussions or whether the lawsuits tipped things in the industry's favor. Personally, I think it's a mix of both.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kearney said:

A number of the cruise lines threatened to move. None of them would move everything anyway. Not practical. CDC doesn’t care a wit about economics. That’s not their job. The “flexibility” started with their meeting with the cruise lines on April 12th.  Lawsuits to nowhere. You’re giving politicians WAY too much credit. Lol!

29 minutes ago, kearney said:

Two interesting developments 1) CDC seems to be more flexible to cruising starting by July 2) Florida, not trusting CDC is continuing to push for an injunction against CDC.  So perhaps we will have cruising out of US ports. Attaching a link to one of several stories on the CDC CDC responds to cruise line request . To me one of the most important quotes  "It said, 'Cruising will never be a zero-risk activity,' adding that the goal of the CSO phased approach was to resume operations in a way that cuts the risk of COVID-19 transmission onboard ships and across port communities." It has seemed over the past year that we moved from flattening the curve... to keep health care facilities from being overwhelmed to zero covid..an impossible goal... I am glad to see that they recognize that zero-risk is an impossible goal.  Fingers crossed that this isn't some kind of head fake.... but perhaps we will see ships sailing this summer out of Florida and other US ports.

It would be ironic if a July start couldn't happen because the CDC was in court arguing with FL.

14 minutes ago, kearney said:

Can you provide a single link to the CDC saying zero risk was the only acceptable standard? Or how about a post on cc in which the poster indicated zero risk was a requirement before they would board? Of course not. Because it's part of the mantra "all those against opening cruises immediately are cowering in their basements".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Which team would that be for ?

If you're in Boston, it would be for the Patriots, In Cleveland, it would be for the Browns. In Dallas, it would be for the Cowboys. In NYC it would be for ... 🤔... 🤔...  oh ya, you guys don't have a real NFL team.

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 4/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, mianmike said:

Why did I get vaccinated?  Selfishly I wanted to protect myself, family and friends.  I want life to get back to normal ASAP.  But additionally, as a contributing member of the human race I'm doing my part to help stifle the virus by educating myself, getting the vaccine, wearing a mask in public settings, washing my hands frequently, keeping my distance from strangers etc..  I'm tired of this virus and I want it to end.  I'm willing to be inconvenienced for a short time and to do my part so that I'm not the host the virus uses to mutate and defeat the vaccines. 

Thanks for the self-adjlating sanctimony, but now you shoud read what I wrote.

The vaccine make you a literal bubble of immunity.  If you believe that "the vaccinated, don't live in our own personal immunity bubble", they you're directly denying the 'science'.

So I'm asking why did you bother with the vax if you don't accept the intended result?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

It would be ironic if a July start couldn't happen because the CDC was in court arguing with FL.

Can you provide a single link to the CDC saying zero risk was the only acceptable standard? Or how about a post on cc in which the poster indicated zero risk was a requirement before they would board? Of course not. Because it's part of the mantra "all those against opening cruises immediately are cowering in their basements".

👍

The powers that be in Florida and the wittily named "CRUISE act" type stuff need to get out of their own way at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If you're in Boston, it would be for the Patriots, In Cleveland, it would be for the Browns. In Dallas, it would be for the Cowboys. In NYC it would be for ... 🤔... 🤔...  oh ya, you guys don't have a real NFL team.

We have the Bills in NY.NYC does not have a football team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

Thanks for the self-adjlating sanctimony, but now you shoud read what I wrote.

The vaccine make you a literal bubble of immunity.  If you believe that "the vaccinated, don't live in our own personal immunity bubble", they you're directly denying the 'science'.

So I'm asking why did you bother with the vax if you don't accept the intended result?

Based on your dismissive and confusing responses I could put forth the effort and try to explain it to you, but I'm fairly certain I'd be wasting both of our time.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Based on your dismissive and confusing responses I could put forth the effort and try to explain it to you, but I'm fairly certain I'd be wasting both of our time.

I agree. The post doesn’t make sense grammatically.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Are you not a fan of the Argonauts ? Toronto is one of my favorite places on the planet.I have been there many times beginning 1971.

I watch the Argos, I'm a Bills fan.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 7:36 PM, harkinmr said:

Enough!  I said that I made a mistake with the 3 mask reference.  You are playing with semantics here.  I said that the US does NOT go by NIH guidance.  Children are susceptible  to injury because masks can be worn improperly or without supervision.  That is what causes the injury.

I forget, what was the focus of your original post?  Are you complaining because cruise lines might make children wear a mask?  Or that they might require anyone, including adults and children, to wear a mask? The UK sailing masking protocols are, apparently, driven by the NIH.  US cruises will be driven by CDC guidance, which is 2 years and up requiring a mask.  My suggestion is that if you are at all concerned about the mask requirements for a sailing, that you take those concerns up with the individual cruise line.

It’s the NHS ,not NIS. 

On 4/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, djjoe said:

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but here goes. The Royal Caribbean cruises outside of the USA require the vaccine, why can't we. I'm tired of hearing all the complaints that the CDC is holding up the process. Too many Americans are delaying the process. I'm tired of getting daily e-mails from the cruise line asking us to contact our congressman, CDC, etc. We have cruised over 100 times on Royal, Celebrity and NCL, so I understand that social distancing, better ventilation, masks, etc. aren't really going to work especially on older ships.  I know folks that will never get the vaccine and think the government is taking their rights away. We have been vaccinated, what about our rights and a chance to get back aboard a ship without having to fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, etc. Royal plans to resume in July. Right now most states are offering the vaccine to anyone over 16 that wants it. By summer there's no reason why we can't get back to sea feeling comfortable aboard a ship knowing that all guests are fully vaccinated.

The focus seems to be on the passengers being vaccinated.  What about the crew?  And not just vaccinated, but their personal activities are going to have to change dramatically for passengers to be safe on the ship.  We have cruised over 25 times and we have observed the crew off the ship partying hearty in every port we stopped in.  THIS HAS TO STOP!!!  In my opinion, the crew is more likely to be spreading any disease because they come into contact with more people than typical passengers contact.  So what I want to hear reported on in CruiseCritic is what are the plans from the cruise ship companies to restrict the activities of the crew when they hit ports.  Can the crew get off the ship?  Can they leave the "bubble" that passengers are going to be restricted to with limited shore excursions?  What SPECIFICALLY is going to change to keep the crew from being the contact/spread point of a disease (COVID or any other)?

It is inevitable that the cruise lines are going to have to require vaccination, at least initially, to get their ships back on the water with passengers.  I have no problem with that; in fact, I encourage it.  But tell us how the crew is going to be managed/controlled so they do not introduce illness onto a ship.

22 minutes ago, jmtraveler said:

The focus seems to be on the passengers being vaccinated.  What about the crew?  And not just vaccinated, but their personal activities are going to have to change dramatically for passengers to be safe on the ship.  We have cruised over 25 times and we have observed the crew off the ship partying hearty in every port we stopped in.  THIS HAS TO STOP!!!  In my opinion, the crew is more likely to be spreading any disease because they come into contact with more people than typical passengers contact.  So what I want to hear reported on in CruiseCritic is what are the plans from the cruise ship companies to restrict the activities of the crew when they hit ports.  Can the crew get off the ship?  Can they leave the "bubble" that passengers are going to be restricted to with limited shore excursions?  What SPECIFICALLY is going to change to keep the crew from being the contact/spread point of a disease (COVID or any other)?

It is inevitable that the cruise lines are going to have to require vaccination, at least initially, to get their ships back on the water with passengers.  I have no problem with that; in fact, I encourage it.  But tell us how the crew is going to be managed/controlled so they do not introduce illness onto a ship.

CDC letter requires 98% crew vax

24 minutes ago, jmtraveler said:

We have cruised over 25 times and we have observed the crew off the ship partying hearty in every port we stopped in. 

We have cruised more than you and have NEVER witnessed this.  Where do you go in each port that you witness out of control crew parties?

• Like 4