The Daily for Wednesday Apr 28, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

Thank you @richwmn for the Daily & Happy Anniversary on the fleet reports. I hadn’t checked out Cruise Critic since I got off my last cruise (February 23, 2020), until one day I popped in to check on the Rotterdam and stumbled on the Daily, so glad I did.

Good collection of days. Like others, my DH and I celebrate Kiss Your Mate Day everyday. Loved the lectures by The Star Lady and watching the Southern Cross appear in the sky on my Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in 2010 on the Rotterdam. I think Amanda Gorman has done a lot for poetry this year. “For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it, if only we’re brave enough to be it.”

Fajitas are good, wine is nice, I’ll skip the drink, a little too sweet for me.

My last cruise to Alaska was June 2019 on the Noordam (our 49th wedding anniversary).  Because we had been there many times, we decided to do the Tracy Arm excursion, which we had not seen. Wonder how Allen Marine has fared in the pandemic. My whale picture is not the best because I was actually taking a picture of a waterfall and when I put the phone down, there was a whale! 

Prayers this morning for all on the care list 🙏. Will raise a glass to everyone celebrating  today 🍷🎉

Take care and have a wonderful day,

St Louis Sal

83D534E8-5B5A-4F7C-8FB5-A5FED7BFC09A.jpeg

B737C64E-A320-4407-8095-4BE67297BA3E.jpeg

28D7287B-2F79-481B-B4B9-A9829B52516D.jpeg

• Like 31

Morning all!  Congrats to Rich for his Fleet Report/Daily anniversary today.  Thank you for your dedication!  Think how boring our days would be if we didn't have this bright spot to come to.

Also big thanks to Roy for the lists kept each day of our prayer list and celebration group which is getting bigger.  

A good and diverse group of Days to celebrate today.  Especially Kiss Your Mate Day.  There will be a lot of happy mates in the Daily family.

I suppose I've been in Tracy Arm several times.  I know for a fact we were there twice in 2009 on B2B Sapphire Princess Alaska cruises, then again in 2019 on the Amsterdam 14 day Seattle roundtrip Alaska cruise.  That one was the best because we got to see the many smaller ports HAL provides with that itinerary.  Both times were in September and we celebrated our 40th and 50th wedding anniversaries on those cruises.

In 2019 I recall sitting in Crow's Nest and watching the many, many whales we saw in the Tracy Arm Inlet.  The waters were so calm. enhance

The bow of the Amsterdamenhance

enhance

enhance

This Carnival ship left so that we could take our turn.enhance

Getting closer to the Tracy Arm Glacierenhance

enhance

Beautiful view!enhance

And there it isenhance

Seals napping on the iceenhance

Turning around to leaveenhance

enhance

A very nice day!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Another nice day today. Thank you rich for keeping us up to date for two years. Time does fly when you’re not looking.

My DH and I celebrate kiss your mate everyday. I was an English major and really loved reading poetry but haven’t written any. Love the quote.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the final Hump Day Daily of April, Rich.  A great selection of days and especially Astronomy day right after the Super Moon yesterday.  Marley's quote is interesting.  Tracy Arm is stunning.  I'll pass on the Fajitas.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Chicken Parmigiano, and Postachio Gelato, as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 28, 2019.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/dishes28.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome terrydtx

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

Welcome home Crazy for Cats

Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades Saturday

New CDC guidance for fully vaccinated

Great birthday celebration for cunnorl

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the care list and the shout out list.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I guess my wording wasn't the best. I have completed two (2) years of providing the location of the Holland America fleet following on the efforts of others. Today is the first issue of year three.

Rich

You followed Laffinvegas and Lovetotrvl

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love looking at the stars, especially on a BHB.  Good poetry is enjoyable and I kiss my mate often.  Good Marley quote.  We've looked within often this past year.  Will pass on the meal, although Debbie's picture looks so good.  I would love to order Roy's.

I've enjoyed Rich's reports so much, can't believe it's been 3 years.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Happy the Celebration list is getting so long.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Candy Cane Vodka:

Ingredients
Crushed peppermint candy, for rimming 3/4 ounce berry vodka 3/4 ounce peppermint schnapps 3/4 ounce white crème de cacao 1/4 ounce grenadine 1 ounce half-and-half 1 splash soda water

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Rim a cocktail glass with crushed peppermint candy, using one of the liquid ingredients to wet the rim.
Pour the vodka, peppermint schnapps, white creme de cacao, and grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into the prepared cocktail glass.
Fill with half-and-half and top with a splash of soda water.
Serve and enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 7.21.03 AM.png

Sound good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Astronomy Day, Great Poetry Reading Day, and Kiss Your Mate Day

"Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living? - Bob Marley"

Meal suggestion for today - Quick-Fix Barbecued Fajitas

Drink of the Day - Candy Cane Vodka

Wine of the day - Edetària Garnatxa Blanca Terra Alta Via Terra 2017

Port of the Day - Tracy Arm Inlet

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

Corfu GR
Volendam

Freeport BS
Nieuw Statendam anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste, IT
Rotterdam

0428USA.thumb.png.b57836f7be1edc5bdf214a75b2832996.png

0428Europe.thumb.png.e717739723c9568487f241eea8d7bca6.png

Thanks for the Fleet report.  I deeply appreciate you effots over the past two years.  Thank you for all you have done.

• Like 5

Since I was wondering about Allen Marine, I checked out their Facebook page. They have been quite busy, offering everything from virtual tours for us, real tours for Alaskan residents, boat services, they even started manufacturing hand sanitizers!  They have a job opening posted as well as a first tour of the season.

They mentioned that their hand sanitizer can be bought online. I have bought quite a few Alaskan products online this past year to support the stores & products I enjoy on my cruises. Glacier Smoothie Soaps. Back Bay Botanicals from Sitka. Raven’s Brew Coffee (Deadman’s Reach is my favorite). 

St Louis Sal

632C2D2A-EFA0-4527-AE03-F6BF3F83D6C6.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy 2nd Anniversary of the Daily to Rich - this is such a welcoming place to visit every day, thank you!  And thanks also to Roy for starting the C & C lists - what a great way to build a community of strangers who have become friends.  Kudos to both of you for taking the time to bring us all together.

DH loves astronomy and all things cosmos related - I'm sure in another life, he was an astronomer.  I actually read some poetry yesterday - it was a few pages of things I'd written in high school . . . believe me, lots of teenage angst there!  Like others, every day at our house is Kiss Your Mate Day - I don't think there's been a single day in our 44 years of marriage that we haven't shared at least 1 kiss.

I like today's menu suggestion, but don't have any chicken thawed out.  I do have some more ground beef, so instead of the fajitas, I think I'll do up a some quesadillas instead - that's something we haven't had in a long time.  Accompanied by some crudities and dip, that's what will be feeding the two of us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Clinking the glasses together tonight for all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20

Happy Anniversary to you Rich. Thank you for keeping us sane! I remember when Denise, Ann, Jacqui and I were so thrilled when the Daily started. It's exactly what we needed and we got closer together as time went on.

I kiss my mate alot. I wrote poetry and kept a journal for quite awhile. My last entry was almost 30 years ago when I wrote about the happiest day in my life.. "Will You? I Will!" 

Will pass on suggested dinner as Allen is hankering for beef barley soup today. I'd better get moving, as I have 5 Mahjongg students this afternoon. 

The guys are here to hopefully finish the masonry. Our friends come tomorrow from Louisiana and we will have 8 people on our patio. The weather keeps teasing me. One time it's 90% chance of rain, then nothing.. it will just be what it is. Right now the windchimes are clanging and our little hummingbirds are clinging to the feeders. Our lovely winds of Texas.

Roy, your surgery is just around the corner now. Hoping our entire Daily-ite clan is praying for our Roy.

Ann and Denise, love you sisters mine. Wishing everyone a great day. Blessings,  Prayers and raising our glasses tonight in thanks to our Rich.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today, if my notes are correct, marks the start of the third year of my Fleet Report, now the Daily.

For the most part, it has been fun doing it.

Rich,

I've only been following since the pandemic, but I couldn't imagine a day without the Daily.  This is one of the BEST places to be every day....other than on a BHB.  Thanks so much for your continued work keeping this (and all of us) together!!

Laura

• Like 16

So we've been to Alaska many times as we were an hours flight to Seattle or Vancouver.  Last 2 week trip was July 2019. We've sailed HAL and NCL. This was our trivia team. We had such a fun cruise with this crazy group, we still keep in touch. 

I'll be honest. I have many glacier pictures but I couldn't tell you Tracy Arm from Hubbard.. Someone tell me which one this is? PS: I love the pea soup!! 

0724191330~2.jpg

0725192312.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
add on
  • Like 19

Today in 2017 we were in Vancouver. We enjoyed walking around the city and down to the Gastown area. This is definitely a place we want to visit again for an extended stay. 

Here is a view of the city as we sail away bound for Seattle - 

1304816775_DSC_0601(3).thumb.JPG.56d014b6da575669bac0190db42741b2.JPG

• Like 16

What a great set of days, love the quote and I have been to the Tracy Arm several times.  A homerun for me today!

Thank you, Rich, for providing the daily.  I am so glad I found this site.  It is a bright spot in my day.  Appreciate everyone's responses, pictures, humor, information and most of all positive attitude.  That has been much needed this past year.  

Prayers to all, cheers to those on the celebration lists and actually all of you.

Have an awesome day.

• Like 14

Happy Wednesday and Thank You for making my mornings special to both Rich and Roy.😍

I'm a newbie to the Daily but not to Cruise Critic. I joined in 2007 and have received such wonderful tips and insight from others.🛳️

🙏Prayers to all in need. 

tenor (1).gif

• Like 17

Good morning all and congrats Rich on your second anniversary keeping us all sane during these crazy times!

Astronomy made me think of my Dad who gave me my interest in star gazing.  He had a telescope when I was young, and I remember the whole neighborhood coming out and looking at the stars with us. He also passed on this love to my grandsons.  They love the books he gave them about the planets. ❤️

I'm terrible at poetry, but will gladly kiss my mate today as always.  The meal looks really good, I'm printing it out for a future dinner -- I just had Mexican food for lunch yesterday.  Will pass on the sweet drink and sweet wine.

@kazuyou can never have too many perennials 😉  

I'm sure we've been to Tracy Arm, but like @Seasick SailorI don't know one glacier from another, so won't post photos -- thank you @StLouisCruisersfor your amazing pics!

We're heading down to see DD and the grandsons this morning, then it's yardwork this afternoon.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14

Here on International Astronomy Day, has anyone already given a shout-out for astronomer Alan Wright, an excellent lecturer on HAL ships?  If not, here it is.

His lectures were standing-room only on our San Diego to Auckland cruise where we learned all about the southern hemisphere skies.  He gathered us for star-gazing at night, too.

Excellent speaker.   🌌  🌠  

• Like 13

Thank you and Congratulations! to @richwmn for creating the Fleet Report that has morphed into The Daily. Like so many of you, I really only started to follow after The Daily became the IT thread on this website! This is mostly a daily stop for me -- there are so many thoughtful, funny & caring contributors who have created this special place. After all, who doesn't enjoy beautiful travel photos and/or original artwork? Or a good laugh after looking at the some of the memes & cartoons? Need some dinner ideas: this thread has food/drinks/wine suggestions galore! The sunrise/sunset photos that we all hope to experience again on a BHB are so lovely. @rafinmd  C&C lists deserve a special mention too. It's all so positive during such an uncertain time. To all of you, please take a bow! Thank you so very much.

Let's do our part to end the pandemic so we can all get on a cruise sooner rather than later!

-Cat

• Like 21

52 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So we've been to Alaska many times as we were an hours flight to Seattle or Vancouver.  Last 2 week trip was July 2019. We've sailed HAL and NCL. This was our trivia team. We had such a fun cruise with this crazy group, we still keep in touch. 

I'll be honest. I have many glacier pictures but I couldn't tell you Tracy Arm from Hubbard.. Someone tell me which one this is? PS: I love the pea soup!! 

0725192312.jpg

Joy, I'm pretty sure this is Hubbard Glacier.  The mountain behind it looks very similar to the one behind Hubbard, and this glacier is wider like Hubbard.  South Sawyer and North Sawyer glaciers in Tracy Arm are not too wide.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Joy, I'm pretty sure this is Hubbard Glacier.  The mountain behind it looks very similar to the one behind Hubbard, and this glacier is wider like Hubbard.  South Sawyer and North Sawyer glaciers in Tracy Arm are not too wide.

Lenda

E845A621-81C5-4840-82AC-3554D41CB059.jpeg.8a7332b0dbf52f0cd8672f625ff5d3d8.jpeg

Agree. Looks like a snippet of Hubbard.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Like @Seasick Sailor it is windy here about 2 hours north of Georgetown, and cloudy.  We'll see if the rain predictions for today and tomorrow actually bring rain.

@richwmn Rich congratulations on the anniversary of your starting on the Fleet Report 🛳️ and then  Daily.  Like the others, we appreciate your efforts and the great place you gave us to gather each day. 🥂

I'm unusual in that am not a fan of poetry.  I much prefer a good (or even a trashy) novel.

National Astronomy Day was made for DH, as he's an amateur astronomer.  Unfortunately since we've been back in Texas, it has either been a full moon or very cloudy, so the telescope is still in it's box.  Plan on kissing my mate today.

Like the quote by Bob Marley.  I just wish more people would take the quote to heart, or maybe I'll just have to stock up on duct tape.  😀

Will skip todays meal as we had stuffed fajita chicken roll-ups last night.  Tonight, it will be a beef pot roast cooked in the Instantpot.  I am going to follow @Seasick Sailor Joy's picture from Saturday and add mushrooms to the mix.  A salad and wine will complete the meal.

We have been to Tracy Arm several times on the 14-day Alaska cruise on three different ships, doing multiple b2bs on each.  A couple of times, we missed Tracy Arm and a few times Endicott Arm was substituted all due to too much ice.

This is really weird, as I tried quoiting @TiogaCruiser  while I was writing this and the quote was added to my post.  I have tried to remove it and post is separately, but couldn't.  Oh well.

23 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

E845A621-81C5-4840-82AC-3554D41CB059.jpeg.8a7332b0dbf52f0cd8672f625ff5d3d8.jpeg

Agree. Looks like a snippet of Hubbard.

Unless you have a super-duper wide angle lens, you can only get a snippet of Hubbard in any picture.  

These pictures were taken in 2012 on the Amsterdam, and in 2018 on the Zaandam.

Your go to Alaska and you see The World.

P1040357.thumb.JPG.58da59de35c7dcfd7b4f539685c51bf4.JPG

As we were approaching the glacier, which I believe was North Sawyer, we saw two people camping.  On the next visit two weeks later, the campsite was gone. Captain Mercer told us they were doing a survey on the area.

P1040395.thumb.JPG.ea2fb5edd81700e2573417effd7f5297.JPG

North Sawyer Glacier

P1040391.thumb.JPG.77bc481d8da62c83efc607f13751c7af.JPG

While we were sailing through Tracy Arm in 2012, we were on the little deck behind the Main Deck, and we had a stowaway.  Someone told us it was a stormy petrel.  After resting a while, he/she flew away.

P1040365.thumb.JPG.bdfa5a337b1ff8378621d8a41f18447a.JPG

P1040366.thumb.JPG.67ad6bdc7625d8983f41506afb24eae6.JPG

This as close as we could get to one of the glaciers due to ice. 

DSC03479.thumb.JPG.03c6b6d1c8bfcf1fc2d5f4c30effb310.JPG

The last two at South Sawyer in 2018.

DSC03741.thumb.JPG.f3746e7dc2bb1922f8f8711339a4eb99.JPG

DSC03951.JPG

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today, if my notes are correct, marks the start of the third year of my Fleet Report, now the Daily.

For the most part, it has been fun doing it.

Happy creation day Rich. You are much appreciated. I’ve been so busy with driving and visiting that I’ve only gotten through the first page before being called away. Today I will post and then read. Hi everyone. 

• Like 13

We've already had some nice photos of Tracy arm but I'll add a few more.  In my mind the best way to see Tracy is to take the 7-day cruise out of Vancouver (or at least the first  half, continuing to Denali and Anchorage by land as I did), and rendezvousing with the Allen Marine boat in the morning.  I did it as part of my Grand Alaska Panama in 2018.  On the way into Tracey we saw a bear:

bear.jpg

Our final destination was South Sawyer Glacier near the end of the Arm.  We saw many seals:

seals2.jpg

We got very close to the Glacier:

veryclose.jpg

On the way out we paused at several waterfalls, including Weddingcake.  Couples often choose to get married on a boat at the base of these falls:

wedddingcake.jpg

We arrived in Juneau in time for dinner.  That year there was an active community for Juneau sailaway (or sail-in) threads.  Marmion Island and Grand Island were reference points for the pilots on the way into Juneau and I posted photos of them on my blog.  When I arrived in Juneau, my Volendam and her r-class twin, the Zaandam, were sitting end to end:

r-sisters.jpg

We were also given a map where I marked out our route in the Arm:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/tracytour.pdf

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Happy creation day Rich. You are much appreciated. I’ve been so busy with driving and visiting that I’ve only gotten through the first page before being called away. Today I will post and then read. Hi everyone. 

Are you still headed home?  When will you be back?

Roy

• Like 4