Uk cruises - will they continue after September?

P&O SUE

Hello all. I did mention this in the ‘staycation’ thread but didn’t get much response.

All this talk of red and amber lists etc doesn’t seem like many foreign holidays will happen for a while. Do people think P&O will continue their round UK jollies into October?  I’m so glad I moved my September cruise a while back, it calls at Spain and Italy, I really can’t see it going. At the moment it’s due to be Ventura’s second cruise out.

I wonder what will happen if they have to cancel more cruises? I just can’t fit in one of those staycation cruises (not enough leave!) but I’d be up for one in October!

• Like 1

My thoughts would be that by October the weather would be too iffy to make a 7 day cruise in UK waters attractive.

But a 10 day cruise heading to the Canaries and back, in search of some warm weather might be tempting.

• Like 2

There are no certainties with foreign travel at this time, which is why people are getting caught out traveling, then having to return at great expense. I have a staycation cruise late August, no ports, and Iona to Canaries in February, hopeful it will happen but no guarantees.

I am confident, but could be wrong, that things will return to some normality with the success of the vaccine program.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My thoughts would be that by October the weather would be too iffy to make a 7 day cruise in UK waters attractive.

But a 10 day cruise heading to the Canaries and back, in search of some warm weather might be tempting.

One of my sunniest sailaways from Southampton was in early October! I get your point though. A four night would suit me. I have a friend who’s booked 4 nights on Britannia and she’s only been on one cruise before. She said it’s cheaper than a good hotel and she just wants to relax for a few days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

There are no certainties with foreign travel at this time, which is why people are getting caught out traveling, then having to return at great expense. I have a staycation cruise late August, no ports, and Iona to Canaries in February, hopeful it will happen but no guarantees.

I am confident, but could be wrong, that things will return to some normality with the success of the vaccine program.

This is the thing though, our vaccination programme is going very well and still people can’t go abroad. Other countries don’t want us! 

I have no intention of booking foreign travel until things are more certain which is why I’d be happy with a four day sail about in October.

• Like 2

Who’d be a cruise line decision maker?

Presumably/hopefully they’ve got Plans B, C, D and Z at least in outline to fill the void if foreign travel is impossible.  I think the 4 day and 10 day suggestions above could work, though who knows if there will be enough customers?  It could turn out to be an incredible opportunity, “forcing” people who would otherwise fly to the sun or the snow to try cruising for the first time.  A percentage of them will get hooked - future loyal cruisers!

I hope The Management is developing marketing ideas.  I would put forward the suggestion that the medical centre on board provides free seasickness consultations, with medication at cost price, or the same price as in a UK pharmacy, and anti-nausea injections free, for anyone with intractable sickness.  Mmm, put that on a billboard or TV ad 😀

They should also broadcast their anti-viral precautions, particularly hepa filters and ultra-violet treatments

• Like 1

I am booked on the October Azura Malta to Barbados and seriously worried that it will not go - yes, the UK will be in great shape vaccinations wise but - what about the various islands this trip will call at - its about where they are in their programme and - where they are in moving through the spread of this next variant - no way they will want UK passengers bringing that into their countries if their numbers are low - no way anyone will want to stop at their country if the infection rates are high or climbing - and thats not even taking into account the next variant which no doubt is out there cooking up somewhere.  

My guess would be that P&O and everyone else has contingency plans for some sort of activity over the autumn and up to Xmas that they wont release until much clearer information is available

• Like 1

Booked end of October for Norway. I am not sure we will be in great shape then, even with our amazing vaccination effort and who knows how those countries that haven’t been as lucky as we have with our vaccinations will fare. The Delta variant is around 60% more transmissible they believe. 

Once again I appear to have just finished paying into my very bulging savings plan. 

I have a feeling it won’t sail. I was looking forward to my aft balcony and the Fjords!

• Like 1

We are booked on Azura around the Med at the end of September. I am not sure if it will go, but I hope for the best and plan for the worst. Just been looking for an alternative holiday just in case, but it's impossible to guess what countries will be open then.

I am booked on 2 seacations, but would consider another if there were port stops. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Booked end of October for Norway. I am not sure we will be in great shape then, even with our amazing vaccination effort and who knows how those countries that haven’t been as lucky as we have with our vaccinations will fare. The Delta variant is around 60% more transmissible they believe. 

Once again I appear to have just finished paying into my very bulging savings plan. 

I have a feeling it won’t sail. I was looking forward to my aft balcony and the Fjords!

We've a B2B Med and Fjords booked on Arcadia October 9th to November 9th and have tried to be positve, but we are now having serious doubts about it. The balance is due next month, but if P&O run to form, and move the payment date from 90 to 30 days then we'll know it will more than likely be cancelled. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi I’m booked on 1st October round Britain with Cunard hopefully it will still  sail but my B2B cruises in December to the Canaries and Spain who knows🤫

Ooh how long is that cruise?

We are booked on a Canaries cruise in October with Princess. I am hoping it will be cancelled! When we booked it there was no traffic light system in place but now if this system stays we would have to pay extra for PCR tests on return even if the Canaries went green. Balance due mid July.

10 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well yes that too! 

I am amused that Portugal are so gutted we’ve put them on the amber list - does no other country visit Portugal?

It was only a couple of weeks ago that Portugal opened up to UK visitors, so I'm not surprised they're gutted. No more so than the tourists already there that are trying to get home quickly.

Avril

• Like 1

In a different life, I would have today paid the travel agent the balance for my 19 day cruise to Venice, sailing on Queen Victoria on 1st October.

The cruise still hasn’t been cancelled, and I don’t know whether Cunard has changed it’s balance payment date, but, as things stand, there is no way I’d pay the balance today. 

Fortunately, it’s not a decision I need to make, as I moved the cruise to 2022. I did this back last October, as soon as the summer 2022 cruises came out as I thought the cruise had little chance of sailing as scheduled. Likewise with my 55 night Arcadia cruise to the Amazon due to sail in January 2022, which I thought had even less chance of sailing.

I do not regret my early decision as it has saved a lot of wondering and pondering. 

The way things stand at present, I can’t see the autumn schedule sailing as planed. There’s too much uncertainty regarding the virus, not to mention that most ships will have been inactive for 18 months. It will take time to bring them back to service, even at a time when it is felt that the pandemic is over. Also, there’s the issue of consumer demand and confidence - I think some people may have moved on from cruising. 

I think there might be some limited cruising on one or two ships this autumn , but at present the idea holds little appeal for me. Too much uncertainty and too many hoops to jump through to make me want to book at this time.

Not sure what all this means for the financial stability of the cruise companies though. 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

We are booked on a Canaries cruise in October with Princess. I am hoping it will be cancelled! When we booked it there was no traffic light system in place but now if this system stays we would have to pay extra for PCR tests on return even if the Canaries went green. Balance due mid July.

I think if the ship is sailing from Southampton Princess say they will pay for any covid tests needed. Also regarding sea sickness tablets onboard, I think P and O do sell the tablets at cost but I expect it cost a lot to have an injection but probably worth it if it lasts the cruise. We have got a cruise to the Med in October but feeling fairly hopeful if vaccination progress continues in all countries

I'd like to see longer cruises to the SUN ,  with no stops, so classifying as staycations.  You could almost envisage a Christmas  Caribbean cruise from Southampton that just sailed round islands without stopping.  It would sell out. As they would be safe from Amber gambling (remember those adverts - don't be an amber gambler)

Just need a change in government  guidelines. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think if the ship is sailing from Southampton Princess say they will pay for any covid tests needed. Also regarding sea sickness tablets onboard, I think P and O do sell the tablets at cost but I expect it cost a lot to have an injection but probably worth it if it lasts the cruise. We have got a cruise to the Med in October but feeling fairly hopeful if vaccination progress continues in all countries

According to the gov website you have to book and pay for PCR tests before you travel, 1 test for green countries on day 2, 2 tests for amber countries on days 2 & 8. I thought Princess, like P&O were only testing on arrival at Port then during the cruise, nothing has been said about tests on return.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I would put forward the suggestion that the medical centre on board provides free seasickness consultations, with medication at cost price, or the same price as in a UK pharmacy, and anti-nausea injections free, for anyone with intractable sickness.  Mmm, put that on a billboard or TV ad 

Why not just do what most cruise passengers do, including me, and spend a couple of quid on a packet or two of travel sickness tablets to take with you in case they are needed.  The cost of injections, if needed, can be claimed from travel insurance if you pay for the excess waver.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rupert2251 said:

According to the gov website you have to book and pay for PCR tests before you travel, 1 test for green countries on day 2, 2 tests for amber countries on days 2 & 8. I thought Princess, like P&O were only testing on arrival at Port then during the cruise, nothing has been said about tests on return.

You may be correct.I haven't studied the details.I expect things will have changed by October. hopefully for the better

• Like 1

I have a cruise to the Canaries booked on Ventura in November. As they want the final balance in August I might cancel. I also have cruises on Iona booked for next January and May so still some time to worry!

I will admit I am a bit wary of cruising on a ship that does not require people to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all. I did mention this in the ‘staycation’ thread but didn’t get much response.

All this talk of red and amber lists etc doesn’t seem like many foreign holidays will happen for a while. Do people think P&O will continue their round UK jollies into October?  I’m so glad I moved my September cruise a while back, it calls at Spain and Italy, I really can’t see it going. At the moment it’s due to be Ventura’s second cruise out.

I wonder what will happen if they have to cancel more cruises? I just can’t fit in one of those staycation cruises (not enough leave!) but I’d be up for one in October!

I think if the staycation cruises prove successful and safe they may well extend them through October if the uncertainty continues with EU countries either restricting us or their vaccination process makes them unsafe for us to visit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We've a B2B Med and Fjords booked on Arcadia October 9th to November 9th and have tried to be positve, but we are now having serious doubts about it. The balance is due next month, but if P&O run to form, and move the payment date from 90 to 30 days then we'll know it will more than likely be cancelled. 

Avril

We are on your Fjords cruise. I am worried about it. Have already finished paying for my B4. I do hope we are wrong, but experience tells us otherwise doesn’t it at this point. 

I will have had 4 cruises cancelled if this one goes, and this was a rebook from Nov last year. This was an anniversary cruise in a suite 😞

We sit and wait. I do hope if they do carry on the staycation cruises they give those who are already booked within the timeframe the chance to book first. if they don’t I am taking the refund and paying for next year’s booked cruises with it - sadly P&O will lose my money at that point as none of them are with them. 

46 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'd like to see longer cruises to the SUN ,  with no stops, so classifying as staycations.  You could almost envisage a Christmas  Caribbean cruise from Southampton that just sailed round islands without stopping.  It would sell out. As they would be safe from Amber gambling (remember those adverts - don't be an amber gambler)

Just need a change in government  guidelines. 

That sounds nice, or even a cruise to the Canary Islands where there is a bit of warmth.I wouldn't mind sailing from Southampton cruising round the islands for 2 weeks then back again.Even with 14 nights, by the time you have reached the islands its almost time to say goodbye again so 3 or even 4 weeks would be nice in January or February.I wouldn't want a seacation with no ports round GB but to a warmer climate certainly appeals

• Like 2