SXM Airport Departure MESS

Oldsweets

42 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Take a look at how luxury travel operations (cruise lines and tour companies) move passengers through underdeveloped countries at trip end. Not like this.  For the most part these are older travelers and when you are at the airport there is no Plan B.  

So then book with those luxury corps.  But to expect every travel provider to give a premium experience for budget or medium prices is not reasonable.

Agree the taxi is a good option to just get out of the mob environment.

Just an aside, we have had almost the same airport experiences in Miami ( when it was under contruction), Acapulco, San Juan, Gatwick, and others; it happens.  If you are physically unable to deal with unexpected issues, then you should protect yourself and not rely on someone else at the last minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Very true. Celebrity does have the resources, but this is kind of indicative of the “we don’t care as much once you’re off the cruise ship” attitude. Will it change?  Who knows. But honestly this kind of thing should have been anticipated with sailings from countries which are not home ports ordinarily. 

I mean Celebrity should be all over this because the ship was sailing at X% reduced rate compared to normal.  What happens next time where there are even more people?  The airport has to be able to handle a cruise ship worth of passengers comfortably.  If the airport can't handle it then maybe they should sail from a location that can handle it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So then book with those luxury corps.  But to expect every travel provider to give a premium experience for budget or medium prices is not reasonable.

Agree the taxi is a good option to just get out of the mob environment.

Just an aside, we have had almost the same airport experiences in Miami ( when it was under contruction), Acapulco, San Juan, Gatwick, and others; it happens.  If you are physically unable to deal with unexpected issues, then you should protect yourself and not rely on someone else at the last minute.

I'm not sure it's quite fair to expect people to stand outside in the sun with little shade at temps approaching 90 degrees for periods exceeding two hours without prior warning -- do you?

It would cost Celebrity little to provide and minimally staff a covered and air-conditioned tent with a fair amount of seating available inside. Perhaps they could even do it in conjunction with the airport or with the local tourism authority. Bottles of water and a luggage storage area that is staffed would be an additional plus.  Nor would it be a stretch to assume that they should get a supply of whatever form is required at the airport and hand them out to passengers in the same packet as your departure luggage tags and information.

It was Celebrity's choice to restart service at this location and to conduct due diligence as to available infrastructure. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I mean Celebrity should be all over this because the ship was sailing at X% reduced rate compared to normal.  What happens next time where there are even more people?  The airport has to be able to handle a cruise ship worth of passengers comfortably.  If the airport can't handle it then maybe they should sail from a location that can handle it.

I don’t disagree, but I am sure that Celebrity was aware of the limitations when they made this move to restart. I remember folks saying good on the cruise lines thumbing their noses at the CDC by restarting outside the US. Not so good after all if this is going to be the standard. I expect similar complaints from the RCI cruises out of Nassau. These islands are just not capable of handling this on their own right now.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Thanks 1

As long as X provides the form and makes it clear that you will not be able to enter the airport due to capacity limits until 3 hours before your departure and if you get there early you'll be standing in the hot sun, X won't need to provide anything else.

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I don’t disagree, but I am sure that Celebrity was aware of the limitations when they made this move to restart. I remember folks saying good on the cruise lines thumbing their noses at the CDC by restarting outside the US. Not so good after all if this is going to be the standard. I expect similar complaints from the RCI cruises out of Nassau. These islands are just not capable of handling this on their own right now.  

They got your money, once you walk off the ship, they couldn't care less. Besides, the Saint Maartens departures are going away next month.

Lesson learned; don't show up hours early for a flight at a small airport and expect to be treated and serviced like you're still in your suite on the ship. Come on 😬  Expecting Celebrity to construct facilities to house their passengers for a few hours once a week? At a facility they have nothing to do with? 

Grab a cab, go to a hotel or restaurant or somewhere and hang out for a few hours. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

They got your money, once you walk off the ship, they couldn't care less.

Not very smart or forward-thinking of them. Most everyone knows that the last impression tends to be remembered. Celebrity can spend a week doing everything right onboard ship, yet if your 'out the door" experience is less than desirable, it may dampen all of that initial good will.

And especially if it is a limited time situation, why not spend that small amount of outlay required to ensure passenger goodwill at a time when they are going to want passenger loyalty (and willingness to pay higher prices) in the foreseeable future?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not very smart or forward-thinking of them. Most everyone knows that the last impression tends to be remembered. Celebrity can spend a week doing everything right onboard ship, yet if your 'out the door" experience is less than desirable, it may dampen all of that initial good will.

And especially if it is a limited time situation, why not spend that small amount of outlay required to ensure passenger goodwill at a time when they are going to want passenger loyalty (and willingness to pay higher prices) in the foreseeable future?

I can't imagine anyone would think leaving immediately after disembarkation would be painless...maybe someone who has never flown out of a small island airport....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fort Lauderdale airport can be just as ridiculous on post-cruise days, especially with regards to not letting people in the terminal before a certain time.  Miami is often a disaster on a good day, cruise passengers or no cruise passengers. 

In my experience, the small Caribbean airports are generally chaotic with limited seating, poor service & eating options, and tiny waiting areas.  The major airlines only have a handful of flights per day and they're usually scheduled for around the same time.  Blame belongs to the airlines more than anything, but Celebrity should certainly have taken this into consideration when choosing to use a new place to operate from.

Thank you to everyone providing their experiences. We decided to move our July booking to Celebrity Edge. We will feel less stressed not having to worry about PCR tests and airport issues. We have a $200 penalty each for cancelling the flight arrangements, but Celebrity is moving the existing booking.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sn2792 said:

Thank you to everyone providing their experiences. We decided to move our July booking to Celebrity Edge. We will feel less stressed not having to worry about PCR tests and airport issues. We have a $200 penalty each for cancelling the flight arrangements, but Celebrity is moving the existing booking.

Ditto , we also will pay the 200 each. Still working with celebrity, old cruise still called 20 day deadhead cruise 😁

• Like 1

I love the irony of complaining that you've been told that you can't enter the terminal until nearer your departure time, inventing non-existent medical problems to get let in early, and then complaining that there's no room in the terminal for social distancing.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

Almost not possible in the Caribbean...

Best option is to not sail to/from any of the islands until things get better.

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not sure it's quite fair to expect people to stand outside in the sun with little shade at temps approaching 90 degrees for periods exceeding two hours without prior warning -- do you?

It would cost Celebrity little to provide and minimally staff a covered and air-conditioned tent with a fair amount of seating available inside. Perhaps they could even do it in conjunction with the airport or with the local tourism authority. Bottles of water and a luggage storage area that is staffed would be an additional plus.  Nor would it be a stretch to assume that they should get a supply of whatever form is required at the airport and hand them out to passengers in the same packet as your departure luggage tags and information.

It was Celebrity's choice to restart service at this location and to conduct due diligence as to available infrastructure.

Well, some would have had prior warning, about weather at least, provided they did some research before hand or is this asking too much in order to be prepared?

Yes, you are quite correct that X needed to build infrastructure at a foreign airport of which they would use for less than 60 days or so??

Yes, again, you are correct as to X's choice to sail from a new foreign port, yet the passengers choice to make their way there to board the ship as well and we need to be somewhat informed of what the situation is beforehand.

Yet, I Am sure there are a few of us who have flown into similar airports before and understood it would not possibly be idyllic or comparable to the worst airports (we would consider to be here in the U.S.) to another countries standard. Just impossible, just impossible.

While I understand your point(s) and context, I do not think they are proper.... then again, I have not traveled much so your point(s) have to be valid accordingly. I just find them bewildering in the case of countries which typically do not have the modern infrastructure for this sort of situation and we go there en mass and expect it to be different???

bon voyage

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, again, you are correct as to X's choice to sail from a new foreign port, yet the passengers choice to make their way there to board the ship as well and we need to be somewhat informed of what the situation is beforehand.

So you're saying that despite the fact that this was the very first sailing by Celebrity that was homeported in St. Martin, that the passengers on this initial cruise should have known about, anticipated, and prepared for chaos at the airport? Prior to the cruise, where would one have looked for this information?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Projunior said:

So you're saying that despite the fact that this was the very first sailing by Celebrity that was homeported in St. Martin, that the passengers on this initial cruise should have known about, anticipated, and prepared for chaos at the airport? Prior to the cruise, where would one have looked for this information?

Google!  I always do my research prior to ANY vacation, be it cruise, land , airport, train connecting never more important now.  The guy who lied and threatened, he owns it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To all the people that suggested "grab a taxi and go somewhere for several hours" apparently haven't tried this here.  We did several times after disembarking smaller ships, and almost missed our flight home a couple times.  Lack of taxi's, some don't want go too far from the airport(missing good fares), traffic congestion, lack of communication, and plain old "island time" issues.  The getting back to the airport part was much harder (and stressful) than leaving the airport.  Many drivers would not return to pick you up at a set time.  Just a heads up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Projunior said:

Actually, I Am saying that one could anticipate what the the situation 'might' be at the airport if we knew that airports in smaller countries, especially the Caribbean, operate and how any increased capacity can effect operations.

Just a few small details like how many flights in/out of the airport daily or weekly would give a clue as to what might happen.

If an airline has only two (2) flights a week, same day, and something goes wrong we would blame the airline for not planning better... logistically it does not work that way.

My thoughts, many of us pride ourselves as 'sophisticated' travelers on many levels. We just need to act and react accordingly in these situations.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

My old pal Richard Fain needs to shake loose some of that cash in his sock drawer and ship some Event Tenting into St Maarten pronto. Hate to see a rain squall blow through while all his customers are standing outside in the weather. 

Come on Richard, you have the technology.

14 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

My old pal Richard Fain needs to shake loose some of that cash in his sock drawer and ship some Event Tenting into St Maarten pronto. Hate to see a rain squall blow through while all his customers are standing outside in the weather. 

Come on Richard, you have the technology.

Maybe the local government/airport authority should do that, after all, the $$ spent benefits their economy.  They could have and should have been better prepared.

Edited by LGW59
  • Thanks 1

This was our very worst airport experience ever. After our 3 hour Celebrity tour and transfer ending at the airport in 1 1/2 hours and then the long hot wait for departure because this tour was advertised as only for people with departures after 3 PM but then letting them off at 10:30.

The far less than 600 people on the cruise ship that flew out that day had practically no impact on the problems at the airport as they would have easily fit in only 3 airplanes. There were many flights out that day and thousands of people at the airport who had not been cruising. This problem was not caused by departing cruise passengers and most of us were unaware of the crowds and problems that this airport had been having.

To make matters worse, my Jet Blue flight was over an hour late boarding. I was glad I had booked my connecting flight in Fort Lauderdale a few hours later so that we would have time to eat there. We finally got home after midnight on a long grueling day.

If that airport is less crowded on week days, the cruise should have started on the slow airport days instead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Maybe the local government/airport authority should do that, after all, the $$ spent benefits their economy.  They could have and should have been better prepared.

This is just a temporary situation, they like Celebrity, don't want to stick to much into it as it goes away next month. 

Edited by grandgeezer
wrong cruiseline