Volendam now history?

LMHSRN

Just notified our November 25th Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam is cancelled and moved to a B2B cruise.  We did not book a B2B and do not want this substitute.  In just moving us, it looks like we loose all the onboard credits, etc.  Had discounts on Excursions as well that we will not have available to us.  No perks offered, no compensation at all.  Just "were moving you to another cruise, we'll let you know the details by July 7th.   What the heck is going on?

Looks like the Volendam might be headed for the scrap yard. Do not see her scheduled anywhere after these cancellations.

Just how many times do they think that can cancel us and expect us to stay loyal.  This makes number 5 so far.......

I am not sure what is going on with the Volendam but my best guess is that HAL wants the bigger ships for the earlier sailings since the number of ships are being limited they are starting with.

We too were to be on the Volendam and it was switched to the Eurodam with a different itinerary and a different embarkation date.  However, we were assured we would keep all OBC and the perks we had.  

I would be surprised if they weren’t doing the same for you.  They certainly should be.  The excursions are a different matter needing to be rebooked most times from what I have seen (different dates, etc.) 

• Like 3

If HAL keeps Zaandam in service with good bookings, I see no reason why they would not want to keep her one year older sister as well.  

Both ships still offer a cruise experience that some of us enjoy more than the Pinnacle Class ships.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Well so far ours is still there for June 22.  I think @kazu maybe right as far as which ships they will start with.  I will be surprised if the Grand South America goes in January as SA is still a mess.

After tonight I will be SHOCKED if my October 2022 Hawaii/ Tahiti cruise goes!!!

8 hours ago, kazu said:

I am not sure what is going on with the Volendam but my best guess is that HAL wants the bigger ships for the earlier sailings since the number of ships are being limited they are starting with.

We too were to be on the Volendam and it was switched to the Eurodam with a different itinerary and a different embarkation date.  However, we were assured we would keep all OBC and the perks we had.  

I would be surprised if they weren’t doing the same for you.  They certainly should be.  The excursions are a different matter needing to be rebooked most times from what I have seen (different dates, etc.) 

That’s a good point. What’s the best way to limit capacity on a cruise that’s already booked? Move it to a bigger ship. Same number of people, small percentage capacity, fewer people per square foot. It’s easier to social distance when needed.

• Like 1

Holland America recently cancelled a bunch of late summer/fall cruises including those on Volendam/Zaandam through end of 2021. Both ships first bookable departures are now in January 2022. The cancellation announcement also included Oosterdam Australia/NZ, Westerdam South America and Noordam SE Asia/Japan through late December.

6 of 11 ships will return to service before the end of the year - Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Konigsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam. The remaining 5 vessels will not enter service until sometime in 2022.  I think there will be additional delay to service re-entry announcements and/or wholly new deployments for the remaining 5 ships in the upcoming months.

Details below of today’s announcement. 

————————

Good afternoon, Holland America has announced a Fall restart for cruising, and has also cancelled additional international sailings for the remainder of 2021.

Return to Cruise

Statement

We’re now gearing up to restart cruising out of San Diego for a Fall 2021 season of cruises to Mexico, Hawaii and along the California Coast aboard Koningsdam and Zuiderdam and Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale on Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Statendam. All voyages are for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination. 

Highlights include: 

• Zuiderdam sailing roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii, Mexico and the California Coast beginning Sept. 18, including six new departures. 
  • Koningsdam sailing roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii, Mexico and the California Coast beginning October 10, including two new departures. 
  • Nieuw Amsterdam sailing roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale Caribbean sailings beginning October 23. 
  • Rotterdam sailing roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale Caribbean sailings beginning November 3. 
  • Eurodam sailing roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale Caribbean sailings beginning November 14. 
  • Nieuw Statendam sailing roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale Caribbean sailings beginning November 21. 

Cruise Cancellations

Statement

While we continue to work with governments and port authorities in coordination with the phased resumption of cruising in other areas of the world, we regret to inform you that we have canceled cruises in Asia, Australia and New Zealand and South America through the remainder of 2021, along with the Collectors’ Voyages (combined cruises) associated with those departures. This affects itineraries on Noordam (Asia), Oosterdam (Australia) and Westerdam (South America). Volendam and Zaandam fall sailings through the end of 2021, and Rotterdam’s Sep 26 and Oct 10 voyages have also been canceled.

Impacted cruises include: 

·         Westerdam departures in South America through and including December 14th, 2021 

·         Noordam departures in Asia through and including December 20th, 2021 

·         Oosterdam departures in Australia/New Zealand through and including December 22nd, 2021

·         Volendam departures from November 25th through and including December 23rd, 2021  

·         Zaandam departure on December 20th, 2021  

·         Rotterdam departures in Northern Europe on September 26th and October 10th, 2021

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

During this time dealing with Covid-19 it is not easy for anybody , but I just wished people would just stop second guessing of what could  “ Possibly “  be happening .  Listen carefully to messages from the Cruise Companies and from Governments .

I realize messages are scarce and come late but this time is difficult enough to look at posts like  “ Volendam now History ? “  and opinions such as “ Looks like the Volendam might be headed to the scrap yard “  that does not help anybody .

Let’s keep the roll calls and the conversations positive .

Tony 
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

That’s a good point. What’s the best way to limit capacity on a cruise that’s already booked? Move it to a bigger ship. Same number of people, small percentage capacity, fewer people per square foot. It’s easier to social distance when needed.

That works in theory and probably for the future but, in the case of our upcoming Volendam cruise all the passengers from Westerdam, N Statendam & Volendam are now transferred to the Eurodam.  3 ships transferred to one?  Not sure where they are putting everyone unless they are hoping a lot cancel?  Nor am I sure how that ship will sail at a lesser capacity?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
During this time dealing with Covid-19 it is not easy for anybody , but I just wished people would just stop second guessing of what could  “ Possibly “  be happening .  Listen carefully to messages from the Cruise Companies and from Governments .

I realize messages are scarce and come late but this time is difficult enough to look at posts like  “ Volendam now History ? “  and opinions such as “ Looks like the Volendam might be headed to the scrap yard “  that does not help anybody .

Tony 

I don't know if volendam is history or not, but what I do know is for the second year in a row hal has sold me a cruise that is again being cancelled.  Last year wasn't so bad, but this year my big 50th anniversary cruise with less than 6 months to go has now been cancelled.  I checked prices for other ships sailing at this time and the prices have doubled!    And to add icing to this anniversary cake to get hal to refund my money I will probably need to fight them and finally dispute the charges with my credit card company just like I had to do last year.  I will probably be fighting with them into the late fall.    

I can tell you right now that I am "positively" tired of hal selling me something that has no chance of going, using my deposits with out paying me any interest,  and then close to when I am scheduled to use what I have paid for posting that it has been cancelled!!   Sorry for the long rant but as you can see I am not feeling to positive right now.

• Like 1

Count me in as another who had their holiday cruise on Zaandam canceled with a mediocre replacement (2 7 days on Eurodam as B2B) offered. We are very disappointed here. 

I'd like to hope for the best for Volendam and Zaandam and do note that they are scheduled for their respective GVs in January 2022.  I see above that only 6 of the 11 ships will return to service this year, but why wouldn't you stress test Volendam and Zaandam with a few small cruises before such big, marquee voyages? Either the writing is on the wall for the last of the R class, or they're really going to proceed ahead with two huge January GVs without a dry run first. 

After last summer's unceremonious sale of 4 of our favorite ships, I am very wary of HAL and what may be going on behind the scenes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Tony 

Well said. I  can't see anything in the changing of a scheduled cruise as indicating a ship is going to be sold. If the cruise was canceled, with no scheduled replacement,  maybe. But simply changing a route doesn't indicate scrapping. Too much personal offense taken because HAL is trying to get up and running again. Maybe the Canal isn't letting cruise ships through yet. Could be other very plausible reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

That works in theory and probably for the future but, in the case of our upcoming Volendam cruise all the passengers from Westerdam, N Statendam & Volendam are now transferred to the Eurodam.  3 ships transferred to one?  Not sure where they are putting everyone unless they are hoping a lot cancel?  Nor am I sure how that ship will sail at a lesser capacity?

Hmmm…. no, transferring three ships to one doesn’t exactly help with capacity, does it. 
I guess we just have to see where everything ends up when the roulette wheel stops spinning. 
Our earliest cruise that hasn’t been cancelled yet is October 2022, and I may just leave it that way. As things improve in North America, a lot of people seem to forget that the world is still in the middle of an active and evolving pandemic. The only thing that is consistent is that everything changes. I really don’t envy you trying to keep track of all this! Kudos for the work!💐

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As things improve in North America, a lot of people seem to forget that the world is still in the middle of an active and evolving pandemic. The only thing that is consistent is that everything changes.

Completely agree with you.  There is still a lot of covid turbulence in the rest of the world.

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I really don’t envy you trying to keep track of all this! Kudos for the work!💐

Aww thanks.  It’s been a PITA - that’s for sure 

• Like 4

I just received notice that our cruise on volendam has been cancelled.   December 15th.  We are being rebooked on rotterdam.  We are waiting for the details.  I am not going to get excited until I know for sure we will be on the ship.  Time will tell.

Volendam and Zaandam are not headed for any civic amenity heaps, there is no slightly plump lady singing opera tunes on their behalf, while waiting for the final denouement, and HAL does not have issues refilling their ships with a combination experienced and new crew, as it has done many years prior to all this doodoo striking each and everyone of us a year and a half ago.

Off the box: Phew, waaaay too long a sentence while attempting to get down to brass tacks! Amende honorable from yours truly! 

Back on said coffer: Remember, they, HAL, sold four ships in 2020. That's anywhere between 1,900 and 2,100 crew assigned to those ships combined, who have been/are actively looking to get their old jobs back. As far as those two dam "R"-class ships, they are currently the only two "small" ships left and there is a game plan for their usage  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Hal needs to STOP selling cruises unless they have permission to sail for the ship they are selling the cruises on and permission to dock or tender in the ports listed on the itinerary.  In my case last week when I heard the volendam's TA was cancelled and the passengers were being put on the eurodam I started to get worried.  I called HAL less than a week ago and spoke to a rep about my cruise on the dec 15th.  HAL assured me that my cruise was a go since volendam was scheduled to have maintenance done in the Bahamas from dec 9th until she left to come to ft lauderdale.  Now I realize the whole conversation was a crock of bull.  

Now I look at Rotterdam's and there is nothing before Nov 3rd.   Where is she now and how will she get from europe to ft lauderdale???  Another question is that rotterdam is a brand new ship I would think that for her first holiday cruise she would have been booked solid yet there are enough cabins available to re accomodate passengers from volendam with less than 6 months to go before the cruise.  Rotterdan holds 2668 passengers.  volendam holds 1432. And as of right now rotterdam had plenty of available cabins for this cruise.  "Me thinks I am being sold a crock of bull".

The time has come to start looking for something else.

26 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Hal needs to STOP selling cruises unless they have permission to sail for the ship they are selling the cruises on and permission to dock or tender in the ports listed on the itinerary.  In my case last week when I heard the volendam's TA was cancelled and the passengers were being put on the eurodam I started to get worried.  I called HAL less than a week ago and spoke to a rep about my cruise on the dec 15th.  HAL assured me that my cruise was a go since volendam was scheduled to have maintenance done in the Bahamas from dec 9th until she left to come to ft lauderdale.  Now I realize the whole conversation was a crock of bull.  

Now I look at Rotterdam's and there is nothing before Nov 3rd.   Where is she now and how will she get from europe to ft lauderdale???  Another question is that rotterdam is a brand new ship I would think that for her first holiday cruise she would have been booked solid yet there are enough cabins available to re accomodate passengers from volendam with less than 6 months to go before the cruise.  Rotterdan holds 2668 passengers.  volendam holds 1432. And as of right now rotterdam had plenty of available cabins for this cruise.  "Me thinks I am being sold a crock of bull".

The time has come to start looking for something else.

I don’t blame you for one second for being annoyed.  I’d be plenty upset.  That said, I think Hal’s employees are likely in the dark and they don’t find out anything until we do.  Sometimes I think cruise critic knows more.  I’m sure this must be a nightmare to get the ships going again.  I bet they’d love nothing more than to have all their ships full and generating income once again.  I do hope things work out for you.

• Like 1

I certainly would not blame HAL's employees.

The truth is that things can change on a dime in the puzzle palace, aka head office.

Employees are given drawer statements that instruct them how to answer certain questions or respond to comments.   No different than any other cruise line, any other corporation.  These drawer statements do not have to reflect reality....they reflect a reality that a company execs and PR folks want you to believe.

The goal of all cruise lines is front log bookings and revenue.  The very last thing they want to do is impair forward bookings.

It can be challenging to capture some customer's booking, but it can be easier, once booked to switch them to another ship, another date, another itinerary.  Some might call it bait and switch, other may call it just good business.  Depends on one's perspective I guess.

Don't blame the employees.  Employees  on the 'pointy end' can often be the last to know or the last to be officially informed.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5