Submitting Proof of Vaccination to Princess

lx200gps

2 hours ago, suekel said:

I requested our state department of public health form (IRIS) showing all vaccinations.  In Iowa it's really easy and good to have back up beyond the card.  I would assume every state has something like this.  

Got ours this morning. It wasn't too hard to do. 

In my D/L file on my phone, printed a copy in my paperwork. Got my actual card. Should be ready for anything.

10 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

All we have our original CDC COVID-19 vaccination card, we got our last shot in Mid February. I hope that is enough.

you should be good to go

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

if your primary care office has an app you should be able to access all your shots there.  

I'm not sure if they have an app but I did log into their portal and they had the info. It says they gave it to me when in actuality it was Walgreens but at least I have some non janky proof.

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

Totally off topic, but best wishes and good luck to the Habs tonight!

Thanks. It's been a surprising playoff run so far, but down 3 games to 1 is a deep hole to climb out of. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I'm not sure if they have an app but I did log into their portal and they had the info. It says they gave it to me when in actuality it was Walgreens but at least I have some non janky proof.

Well that is good news. Walgreens should be able to give you the cdc card with the dates.  Allthe best 

8 hours ago, Sprocket said:

QR code in the app says to bring our medallions and passports which is probably the same for everybody.

Yes, the simplest boarding process is a passport check.  Assuming you are fully OCEAN Ready and have Medallion in hand.

6 hours ago, jwattle said:

I figured out that the airport information issue is that they have only input up to midway through the "C"'s for airports. Give it a few more days, then info can go in 🙂

That's wonderful for Canadians as all our airports begin with "Y".  IDK "why" all our airports begin with a "Y".  It's like Canada said ages ago that all the other countries could take the good codes for their cities and we would just take the weird codes.  Like, why couldn't we have had "VAN", "TOR", "MTL", "OTT", "CGY", etc?  Nope, we have "great" ones like YYZ, YEG, YVR, YUL.  Not very obvious except you might guess one of them knowing at least our major largest metro cities.  Yes, YVR = Vancouver.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That's wonderful for Canadians as all our airports begin with "Y".  IDK "why" all our airports begin with a "Y".  It's like Canada said ages ago that all the other countries could take the good codes for their cities and we would just take the weird codes.  Like, why couldn't we have had "VAN", "TOR", "MTL", "OTT", "CGY", etc?  Nope, we have "great" ones like YYZ, YEG, YVR, YUL.  Not very obvious except you might guess one of them knowing at least our major largest metro cities.  Yes, YVR = Vancouver.  

Canadian Airport Codes Explained

From Halifax, which is YHZ, to Saskatoon’s YXE, and Toronto’s two airports that will leave you scratching your head (YYZ and YTZ), it’s easy to get befuddled when figuring out which Canadian airport is which. So how and why did they come up with these confusing airport code identifiers?

The story is just as complicated as the codes themselves, but like most things in Canada it all comes down to the weather.

Prior to the formation of the IATA, International Air Transport Authority, (which just so happens to be headquartered in Montréal), Canada identified its weather towers with two-letter call signs. These two-letter indicators tied to the local weather towers were often situated in locations that housed airports along with radio stations. The call signs doubled as Morse code transmissions for pilots to use a navigational beacon to locate the airport. For example, at the time Montréal-Dorval’s radio call sign happened to be UL.

As air travel increased in the 1930s, it was important to identify if an airport had a weather/radio station located on its premises for safety and landing reasons. If it did, the letter Y for “yes” was added in front of the existing radio call sign. If there were no weather stations at the airport, a W would be administered for "without." Combining the Y from Yes and the UL radio station code, YUL was born.

When IATA formed and began requiring airports worldwide to extend their codes to three-letters (as two-letter codes were becoming scarce) during the 1940s, most of Canada’s airports had already adopted the Y for “yes” prefix due to their weather reporting and radio stations located on site.

Already familiar with the Y initial indicating an airport via its radio tower beacon system, Canada made the bold move to lay claim to the letter. Snatching it up to signify all of its airports in a uniform fashion. By saying yes to the Y, Canada firmly aligned all its commercial airports with the same letter making it the only major country to assign IATA codes in this style.

What about The Remaining Letters of the IATA Code?

Using the YUL logic above, all Canadian airports should start with the letter Y followed by the existing radio call sign, right? Nope, that’d be too easy.

While some Canadian IATA codes follow in that footprint like Toronto’s YYZ airport, which uses the radio code for the city of Malton where it’s located, others follow different naming patterns.

As air travel grew in popularity and the requirement to assign airports three-letter IATA codes, many cities didn’t have the aforementioned weather stations. In these instances, cities used railways station codes, which also used a two-letter Morse code indicator.

Edmonton, who's railway code of EG, morphed into YEG when its IATA code got assigned. Using railway station codes as opposed to radio tower identifiers allowed for many Canadian airports to form almost recognizable airport codes. YVR, minus the Y leaves VR – easier to decipher into VancouveR. The same goes for YOW, Y + OttaWa, and YQB, Y + QBec. Albeit confusing, that's loosely the method on how Canada created most of its cryptic and confounding IATA airport codes.

Other Tidbits on Y Airport Codes

To further confuse the flying masses, metropolitan areas with several airports can also be searched under umbrella IATA codes. Like in Toronto where YTO includes both YYZ and YTZ as results. The Y, of course, comes as expected and the TO short for Toronto. The same for YMQ, where MQ = Montréal, Québec. This metropolitan naming method isn't just inherent to Canada. Tokyo uses TYO to encompass both Narita (NRT) and Haneda (HND) airports. And NYC is used for all New York City area airports including Newark (EWR). But what does makes Canada unique in this instance is that even “city codes” that serve several airports follow along with the Y as the first initial pattern. So if you ever happen to notice your bag tagged with YMQ, you’re in trouble because no airport under that IATA code actually exists.

Even though Canada has the majority of the world’s airport codes beginning with the letter Y, they don’t have a monopoly on all of them. Just ask the locals from Yakima, Washington (YKM) and Yuma, Arizona (YUM) if they know the verses to "O Canada".

For the nitpickers out there, it’s also worth noting that not every airport in Canada starts with the letter Y either. Many smaller municipal airports, heliports, and private jet runways have codes beginning with other letters of the alphabet (Mostly W (previously explained: Without ), X or Z). All large-scale commercial airports, however, will start with an IATA code of Y.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

You are just a fountain of knowledge.  I had read some of this info a long time ago, but I don't recall the info being as extensive as you found.

You are welcome.

Mr. Google is my friend.

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks, had already read that. The problem is, and yes, I'm being overly cautious, is that my wife and I, with exactly the same vaccination history, have very different "proofs", hence my concern that some overly cautious bureaucrat would notice that, flag it, and cause us grief at embarkation. That's why I would prefer to have Princess's blessing in advance of our departure for the port.

I can certainly understand your concern. You and your wife don’t need the same proof. As long as each of you has one of the accepted listed forms of proof you will be fine. If you don’t have one of the listed forms of proof and can’t get it in time to sail I’d postpone the trip. Best wishes. 

19 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Princess is exceptionally clear what acceptable proof is. 
https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

@lx200gps I am sailing July 25. I have my original vaccination card as outlined in the above link to the Princess website FAQs. I am also bringing a few other documents and will ask if those are acceptable. I will post the response after boarding and settling in on the live from thread that I will start July 24. 

As of now we are told to bring our proof of vaccination to port at check in.

We will fill out a health questionnaire 72 hours before sailing where we will attest to our vaccination status. Once that becomes available I will post if they require you to upload proof to the MC ap like our passports. As of now we have not been told this will be the case though. 

I have also read this on the Princess site but call me a simpleton because to me it reads as jibberish.  We do have the vaccine card that we were given but what is the rest of the stuff and how would we even go about getting it since I have no clue what it even is.

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

I do have a print out that the pharmacy gave us of our vaccination history and wondering if that would work.

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have also read this on the Princess site but call me a simpleton because to me it reads as jibberish.  We do have the vaccine card that we were given but what is the rest of the stuff and how would we even go about getting it since I have no clue what it even is.

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

I do have a print out that the pharmacy gave us of our vaccination history and wondering if that would work.

The key word in the above highlighted info is OR.

It looks like for you, your "personal electronic health record" from your pharmacy is your proof.

Just to be safe, you might want to ask them for a vax card. They should be available to them.

Also, check the .gov website in post #27 that lists all the states that have available electronic info.

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The key word in the above highlighted info is OR.

It looks like for you, your "personal electronic health record" from your pharmacy is your proof.

Just to be safe, you might want to ask them for a vax card. They should be available to them.

Also, check the .gov website in post #27 that lists all the states that have available electronic info.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I have a glossy card, slightly larger than a business card.  It has a printed label (laser text) stuck on it, and some random initials.

I think any junior high school student could take a 5 minute break from creating fake liquor store IDs, and knock out

as many of these cards as I need.

During your wellness check when you arrive at the pier/terminal, you will be asked if the vaccine card you are presenting is authentic.  Your answer will be noted.

19 hours ago, skylane182 said:

They just looked at the card, checked the name, etc. did not verify anything as far as I could tell. 

18 hours ago, msunrullieone said:

Checkin was easy. They barely glanced at our vaccine cards.

Above are two posts from a "live from" on the Carnival Vista.

These indicate, at least for CCL and the Port of Galveston, how proof is presented and examined at check-in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

Above are two posts from a "live from" on the Carnival Vista.

These indicate, at least for CCL and the Port of Galveston, how proof is presented and examined at check-in.

A reporter from the Points Guy also noted that the person checking vaccine info quickly glanced at the info presented when checking in for the first cruise on Celebrity and it took all of 15 seconds.  And as I said at the time, we may all be overthinking this....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I can certainly understand your concern. You and your wife don’t need the same proof. As long as each of you has one of the accepted listed forms of proof you will be fine. If you don’t have one of the listed forms of proof and can’t get it in time to sail I’d postpone the trip. Best wishes. 

Thanks for the words of comfort ;o) I'm not so much concerned with our two forms of proof taken in isolation, they are fine.  I'm more concerned with the optics of presenting two different pieces of paper, from the same jurisdiction, for two persons from the same household, that are very clearly different in appearance. 

In any case, Canada and the US are clearly working together right now on re-opening our mutual border, with in the next month or so, and as part of that, I'm sure they are working on a mutually acceptable "vaccination passport" allowing relatively free travel between our two countries.  I'm VERY confident that such as document would be perfectly acceptable to a cruise line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

During your wellness check when you arrive at the pier/terminal, you will be asked if the vaccine card you are presenting is authentic.  Your answer will be noted.

Certainly a person who is dishonest, and has gone to the trouble to forge a card will suddenly have a change of heart at the pier

and say: ooops, I can't board, I forged my card.   Apologies.   Oh, and please deny me a refund.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2