The Daily for Saturday Jul 10, 2021

richwmn

17 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

And as for kittens..... anyone want one or two or more? Our shelter is overrun with them.... I think many people did not bother to get their cats spayed during the pandemic. We have many out in foster care and all kittie space is occupied. We have started up some additional low cost spay clinics to hopefully cut down on the influx in the future.

I now live just outside a major college town. I actually lived in the town for a long time. Each year when students move into their first house/apartment/whatever they feel that they need a pet. Also each year in May and December when it is time to go out into the real world these same students decide that the cat (mostly) or dog they have had for the last 2 to 4 years can't join them in their new life and the pets are abandoned. I'm about 100% sure that is how Leo ended up with me.

20210710_115009.thumb.jpg.f6f9dec3a61d978772742028989ff518.jpg

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Again this morning the smoke has settled in and visibility is low. Last night the wind shifted for a few hours and from my driveway I got this shot of the smoke from the fires. 
I am not in danger but 100s are being evacuated and a state of emergency has been declared. 77,000 acres. 

41B6FBBF-F04E-4E85-802B-B243EC39810D.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Good morning all!  The Seneca quote is very timely words to live by for me - today is Day 1 of my “afterlife”, as yesterday was retirement day.  💃  It was a wonderful day, there were so many kind words said, DH had a bouquet of roses waiting for me on my desk - celebrations everywhere.  I need to finish cleaning my office (I’ve been home for over a year), and ship back my equipment.

Love kittens!  There is just not much cuter than baby animals playing.  Our kittens are now 16 and 17.

Best to all!

Congratulations,  enjoy! 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits.  My favorite kitten picture is of Tucker and Jasper.

image.png.01e2ebaa8d19e43ee6b598a42c693b51.png

Great picture!

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I now live just outside a major college town. I actually lived in the town for a long time. Each year when students move into their first house/apartment/whatever they feel that they need a pet. Also each year in May and December when it is time to go out into the real world these same students decide that the cat (mostly) or dog they have had for the last 2 to 4 years can't join them in their new life and the pets are abandoned. I'm about 100% sure that is how Leo ended up with me.

Beautiful cat.  And what a sad, albeit predictable story.  I realize that there are times when people can't take care of an animal because of illness or some other circumstances beyond our control, but most of them time it's simply "inconvenient" and that just rubs me!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Geez Louise, you just reminded me of another company founded in St. Louis - Build a Bear Workshops began in 1997 in the St. Louis Galleria Mall.  When the grandkids were younger they loved making up new stuffed animals at Build a Bear!

Something I always wanted to do even as an adult but never did, just looked like fun!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

First, thank you to all who helped me identify the pesky weed in my yard.  Especially the advice about the plant identifiers apps -- so far LeafSnap works for me and isn't asking for $$.  @kazuoh YES that meme says it all about the feeling when the whole root comes out. 😉🤣 I know what I'll be doing today, pulling all that I find. 

I adore kittens (and all cats, but kittens are sooo cute).  Like @ger_77, I have to be careful they don't end up in my pocket...

I remember the Teddy Bear Picnic song, and I think there was also a book -- at least I think I remember reading it to the grandsons. DD has the teddy bear I had when I had my tonsils out at age 6 -- it's in the boys' room at the top of the closet.  Poor thing has definitely seen better days!

My sister used to love to go up to Mt. Baker and pick the wild blueberries every year.  She said it was worth the work, but they're so small it takes a lot to amount to anything!

Will pass on the meal, but you had me at Viognier.  I'm thrilled to see that the Nieuw Amsterdam is on its way to Seattle!!  Maybe DH can snap a photo of it one day.

@Live4cruisescongratulations on your retirement!

The NA's arrival is wonderful news, I'm trying to figure out a way to get down to the port next weekend to take pictures, but if someone can do it before that, especially arrival day, that would be great!!!

• Like 8

I visited Scarborough Groundhog Day of 2015.  It is on Tobago, the smaller of the 2 Islands:

scarborough.jpg

My tour was to the South end of the island and we visited some forts and a sugar mill but first we looked at one of the beaches, Store Bay:

storebay.jpg

The sugar mill was pretty much in ruins.  It ran on water power in the rainy season and steam from dried sugar stalks in the dry season:

sugarmill.jpg

The sugar was boiled down to molasses in a series of vats:

sugarvats.jpg

The first of our forts was Fort James, on the opposite side of the island from Scarborough.  It was occupied by the British in the 17th to 19th Centuries:

james.jpg

The other fort, overlooking Scarborough harbor was Fort King George

ftkinggeo.jpg

It had a lovely view of the harbor entrance but not the port itself:

geoview.jpg

Before returning to the Maasdam we stopped an an overlook with a great view of our waiting BHB:

maastobago.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Himself said:

Roy:  Isn't the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing to Seattle worth a shout out?  Thanks for the lists.

I think I'll wait till she's actually there or at least North of San Francisco.

Roy

• Like 10

Good Afternoon from a sunny and warm day at the beach at least for now.

It is pass Blueberry picking time here. I have a friend who is going to Michigan and is bringing back some for us. The Teddy Bears Picnic was always a big event when my children were young. The local library sponsored it and was a sell out every year.  The song by Anne Murray was played several times during the event. It would be in my head for days after! LOL

@Live4cruisesCongratulations on your retirement! Hope you enjoy many years of peaceful happiness.

Played golf again this AM. It was really hot and no breezes. Usually there is a breeze coming off the river.  So now I am home in the AC,  DD and I will go in the pool later when it cools down.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17

Good Morning,

What a wonderful day so far.  It's so nice to wake up to fresh ocean air.  I went out to Fred Meyer and did my grocery shopping, of course I forgot 3 things that I didn't have on my list, so it'll be back again tomorrow, at least Sunday mornings are slightly less crowded, otherwise I prefer weekdays.  Dear Dad was up early and wanted a shower, so that took awhile.  Then I logged on and found out the NA was under way for Seattle, best news I've had in weeks!  

Love all the kitten and teddy bear pictures (aren't they called Stanley's in England?)  Thanks to all the listers, thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  Those wildfires are too close for comfort, praying they don't get worse.  The hillsides right in the area where I live are looking tinder dry, at least they are in accessible areas for firefighters but it has me concerned if they were to ever force an evacuation.  I have our earthquake emergency bags that can double for other things at least. 

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think I'll wait till she's actually there or at least North of San Francisco.

Roy

👏👏

Have a great day everybody!!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Carol, did your live in caregiver ever show up?

Roy

Yes, she did. We had a storm, trees were down, and her GPS didn’t work. She hadn’t slept well the night before so she was really cranky. We’ve ironed out most everything. Sam likes her and she’s taking wonderful care of him. The rest will fall into place.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

Thanks for all the reports and pictures.  

Picked blueberries on Friday.  This was our second picking .  We go to a farm near us here in Vancouver and we have a total of 43 pounds in the freezer.  Not counting what we ate both times we picked.  They came on early with all the heat the last few weeks.  Still taste awesome.

Love the Teddy bear picnic day.  One of my favorite books that I read to my class.  Then we would have our own Teddy Bear picnic.  

Haven't been to the ports.  Were on the itinerary years ago and missed due to engine trouble before leaving Fort Lauderdale.  Cancelled those ports.  

Tomorrow is moving day for our kids in Portland.  They are moving closer to us here in Vancouver.  We have been busy helping them. The grandkids may spend the night with us tonight so they aren't in the way of the movers tomorrow.  Just enjoying our quiet morning before all the activity starts tomorrow.  Our garage is full of boxes and bikes and skis and who knows what else!  Just glad we can help.

Prayers of safety for all involved in horrible weather and also fires in several places.  

Cheers to those celebrating.

Stay well and safe.  

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Good morning all!  The Seneca quote is very timely words to live by for me - today is Day 1 of my “afterlife”, as yesterday was retirement day.  💃  It was a wonderful day, there were so many kind words said, DH had a bouquet of roses waiting for me on my desk - celebrations everywhere.  I need to finish cleaning my office (I’ve been home for over a year), and ship back my equipment.

Love kittens!  There is just not much cuter than baby animals playing.  Our kittens are now 16 and 17.

Best to all!

Congratulations! When people would ask if DH was enjoying retirement I would tell them he hasn’t stopped smiling yet!

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Dear Dad was up early and wanted a shower, so that took awhile.  Then I logged on and found out the NA was under way for Seattle, best news I've had in weeks!  

Is Dear Dad physically living with you?  How is he doing with the heat?

Roy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Again this morning the smoke has settled in and visibility is low. Last night the wind shifted for a few hours and from my driveway I got this shot of the smoke from the fires. 
I am not in danger but 100s are being evacuated and a state of emergency has been declared. 77,000 acres. 

41B6FBBF-F04E-4E85-802B-B243EC39810D.jpeg

Incredible picture. Praying for those evacuated and your continuing safety.

St Louis Sal

• Like 7

Good Morning.

@Live4cruisescongratulations on your retirement.

It is a beautiful sunny day and the heat was not overbearing when I had Ellie out for her walk earlier.  Hopefully the remainder of the day stays that way.

I have not heard from my cousin yet today.  The provincial forest service website is showing no changes in the fire since yesterday.  So hoping that no news is good news.

Val

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I pick my blueberries at the market, lol. Not sure there are places nearby to pick in the field.

Good quote. I like the meal, but maybe a little too high calorie right now. I also like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. 

It's nice here today. Not too hot, but humid. I spent all afternoon yesterday clearing the yard of all the downed branches and sticks from the microburst. I've never seen so many! I'm surprised I could get out of bed today. I will mow this afternoon. Storms are predicted all the way to Wednesday, starting tomorrow.

A bit of good news. I had my very old kitchen remodeled last year. Luckily I had my appliances in just before the lockdown of businesses. I am finally getting the tile backsplash installed next week! Then I can pick the color for painting the walls and get this project finished!

@mamaofamiHoping things get stable and easier at your house.

@Live4cruises Congrats on your retirement!

@lindaler Oh my! I'd think it would be hard to breathe with all that smoke in the air. Stay safe!

@grapau27 It looks like a beautiful day. And great pizza!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

😊Congratulations on retirement @Live4cruises!

Glad you aren't in danger @lindaler but feel sad for others evacuating.

My son has two new Persian kittens.🐾🐾 My preference was my Maine Coon who isn't with us anymore. 😔

🚢Great photos Roy @rafinmd. I noticed a lot of MSC ships visit those two islands.

Katie

xauccsszqhylraeim5ug_720x.jpg

IMG_7191001.jpg

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Is Dear Dad physically living with you?  How is he doing with the heat?

Roy

Yes, he lives with me.  He's does better than I do with the heat, he doesn't move around as much as I do.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon all!

Loving 2 out of 3 days today-not bad. I have a grand-kitty who has turned 20 years old. Iggy was a barn cat that fell into a dish of cream and is spoiled, spoiled. And teddy bears became my mom’s passion fairly late in life. She even had her old fur coat made into a bear. Right before she died she began giving her bears away, some to the children of her caregivers and housekeeper, others to the grandchildren of friends. My oldest DD has DeeDee the fur bear in her collection. No blueberries for me thanks, but I did check our local pick-your-own farm and it’s blackberry and peach picking time!

The drink of the day sounds quite good, I have the fixings, may have to try it. And although I haven’t tried today’s wine, Coopershawk has a Viogner that I’m quite fond of. May chill a bottle.

Haven’t been to the port of the day.

Thanks to @StLouisCruisersfor the reminders of two of our St Louis businesses.

I am a big fan of St Louis Bread (sometimes just called Bread here) and love their soups served in a bread bowl. Broccoli cheese soup, yum, yum.

Build-a-Bear is so much fun, but quite expensive. When I took my great niece there she made a poodle, not a bear and that poodles frilly underpants cost more than my own underwear!

I have been lazy all day, should get motivated, but bad weather is on the way again. A 12 year old was swept away in flood waters last night and has not been found. Praying for her and her family as well as all on our care list 🙏. And I will pour a glass of that Viogner to toast celebrations!

St Louis Sal

p.s. A picture of my grand-cat from a few years ago. 

23A6A774-90DC-4E0C-890B-54055817889F.jpeg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

We have the same problem with college students dumping dogs and cats. Our influx of kittens unfortunately this time includes lots of very, very young ones and many have to be bottle fed. We have a problem finding foster homes for those. Lots of people don't like to get up every 3-4 hours.

• Like 9