P&O Standards dropped, probably never again.

The Med

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Good to see your post Jane. Make sure you get time off during the week if possible as you need to look after yourself.

Gill x

Will do Gill. A very important part of my planning is to ensure all the staff get adequate time off during the madness to come. It will be challenging and stressful and everyone's pretty tired anyway - but it will be fun too. Be well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 4

I must say that I’ve mostly cruised on P&O’s larger ships and found the formal nights really well adhered to.

Also the Princess cruise I went on had not as many dressing up as I’ve witnessed on P&O!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Here's my 2 cents on this.

First of all, I do understand that people feel more comfortable around people like them. This is a psychological phenomenal known as "consensual validation". Being around people like us helps validate our own views on things. For example, if you're an Anti-vaxxer and "all your friends" are anti-vaxxers, you feel more confident about your views as you have backup.

We all live our lives in different ways. While some (my father in law) won't even do the gardening without a button up shirt and smart slacks on, some like to wear jogging bottoms to dinner. We all have our ways to feel comfortable and how we present to others and it makes sense that if we're raised to think that dinner = dressing up, then when we see those who oppose that social norm, it causes us discomfort. 

My personal view is that what other people wear makes zero difference to my life at all. Sure, sometimes I see what people have chosen to wear and I think "Wow, I wouldn't wear that to X occasion" but if my eyes and mind are wandering to other people's lives, I have to question whether I'm enjoying the company of those I am with! When I am at dinner, my eyes, focus and conversation is all focused on those I have chosen to take a holiday with.

As someone who was morbidly obese a year ago but is now probably one of the healthiest weights on here, I feel hurt on behalf of those who you looked down on for being obese. You don't know what is happening in someone's life and no matter how "classy" or well off someone is or isn't, they do not deserve to be looked down on. Our bodies are just the vessels that carry our personalities and you've already dismissed those people based on looks and dress. For all you know, that obese tattooed man could be the most interesting person you've ever had the chance to meet. He could be a Professor of architecture or a future world leader. Think of great business minds like Steve Jobs, who never wore suits, but just simple blue jeans and a turtle neck. When someone is GREAT or when someone is fulfilled in life, they do not feel the need to show everyone else, they are content to just enjoy life.

I do feel sorry that you felt sneered at for going dressed up, as someone who is often sneered at and made fun of for having nerdy hobbies like video games and Dungeons and Dragons, I know how it feels when others sneer, but is this not the exact same thing you're doing to the "common people" as you call them?

P&O are not a luxury cruise line, they are a family cruise line aimed at the British public, of which a very small number are the social elite. Add this to the fact that these cruises are low cost, allowing those who could never cruise before a chance to experience a holiday usually out of reach of their budget (which is amazing and I am so happy people get that chance!) and I fail to see what you were expecting. 

I wish you luck finding a cruise line that meets your elite standards and I hope you were still able to enjoy your cruise but please take some time to think on what I have said as I am sure you don't mean to be rude or offensive, but your opinions on other people are worrisome and not suitable for a 2021 audience where our culture is a mixing pot of people from all backgrounds and each of them deserve respect, compassion and a great holiday where prejudices can be left on land.

Thanks.

Fantastic post and well done on the weight loss.

5 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

any recommendations for breakfast on Thursday before I board?

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Carluchios just inside West Quay shopping centre across the road from the multi storey car park is our breakfast place.

Hopefully it is still open.

Graham.

And if you should decide to breakfast at Carluccio's, do pop up to the café on the top floor of John Lewis afterwards. You should get a view of the top of Queen Victoria in berth 106 and you may also be able to see some of Iona, in berth 102. I always go there for coffee mid-morning before I go off to board a ship in Southampton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Sometimes it's best to be dignified and say nothing.  For me, this is one such time.  I'm utterly speechless.

To all my friends on here - I hope you are all well.  I haven't posted much recently as very busy at work making arrangements for the delivery of Covid Phase 3 and the Flu vaccinations.  We are hosting at my own practice from September - no more weekends off until January!

Stay well and stay safe, you lovely people.  Best wishes.  Jane.xxxx

Hi Jane

We’re doing the same plus we provide school nursing services in a few areas so gearing up for the flu vaccs on top of all the usual childhood vacc and imms.

I suppose it keeps us out of mischief 😂

D x

• Like 3

It’s very interesting this perceived snobbery. I have a friend I used to work with for 13 years and in many ways we have a lot in common, we like the same sort of things. However many a time she made a snide remark about me being a ‘grammar school girl’ 🤷‍♀️Obviously had quite a big chip on her shoulder about it! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Carluchios just inside West Quay shopping centre across the road from the multi storey car park is our breakfast place.

Hopefully it is still open.

Graham.

It was one of the 30 stores that was saved as part of rescue deal last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Britboys said:

And if you should decide to breakfast at Carluccio's, do pop up to the café on the top floor of John Lewis afterwards. You should get a view of the top of Queen Victoria in berth 106 and you may also be able to see some of Iona, in berth 102. I always go there for coffee mid-morning before I go off to board a ship in Southampton.

Great view but not quite the same now that the coffee and cake isn't free!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

It was one of the 30 stores that was saved as part of rescue deal last year.

I’m sure the one at Bluewater has gone as well as Loch Fyne I was surprised to see 😔

15 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I am getting fed up with comments about tattoos, not just by the OP. I have three tattoos from my days in the RN and completed 24 years police service, retiring as a senior officer. 

I'm hitting middle age, and I don't think its a crisis as such, but I'm seriously considering a tattoo - a full length sleeve.

If I find the right design and go ahead with it, and people want to judge me for it, so be it. I'm comfortable with who I am.

• Like 4

Wetherspoons also do a decent breakfast including eggs benedict.Dinner suit and pint of Peroni optional.Premier Inn all you can eat for under a tenner and kids eat free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Hi Jane

We’re doing the same plus we provide school nursing services in a few areas so gearing up for the flu vaccs on top of all the usual childhood vacc and imms.

I suppose it keeps us out of mischief 😂

D x

Hi D.

It's getting a bit intense again isn't it? I'm a bit wary of Covid in one arm, Flu in the other arm at the same appointment - doesn't make for a good night's sleep afterwards!

Good luck with your preparations and I hope you're not spread too thinly with the school services.

Mischief - what's that? Far too busy! No doubt we'll speak again on here over the coming weeks and months but until then I wish you all well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

Oh great tip! Would be great for blog footage 🙂

• Like 1

Re, where to eat breakfast or have a coffee. Ocean Village ,a residential ,business and entertainment area ,right by the Ocean Terminal ,is another option . We visited for breakfast before our cruise ,weekend before last . Paid parking ,about a pound an hour .  We ate in the Maritimo Lounge . Lovely marina and a view of the posh Harbour Hotel . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m sure the one at Bluewater has gone as well as Loch Fyne I was surprised to see 😔

Unfortunately the one in our town has gone as well, but the one in Gunwharf quay has survived .

• Like 1

Talking of Premier Inn, as you were, The family wanted a meet up last week.  Usually it's restaurants, but someone mentioned Premier Inn so we all turned up for breakfast.   Six people, all full up,  and had a great time for the princely sun of £54.   It was amazing value.

When we went on Queen Mary we stayed at West Quay Premier Inn and had a great breakfast.   Afterwards the hotel foyer was full of people with cases labelled QM, some of them the precious Red ones, all waiting for taxis to the port.  It was exciting and fun and not one snob among them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s very interesting this perceived snobbery. I have a friend I used to work with for 13 years and in many ways we have a lot in common, we like the same sort of things. However many a time she made a snide remark about me being a ‘grammar school girl’ 🤷‍♀️Obviously had quite a big chip on her shoulder about it! 

I was a grammar school girl - Fat lot of good it did me.  I hated every minute!  LOL

We've already booked our flu shots for late September before everybody else gets in first!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Wetherspoons also do a decent breakfast including eggs benedict.Dinner suit and pint of Peroni optional.Premier Inn all you can eat for under a tenner and kids eat free.

I must admit, Wetherpub would probably be my go to for breakfast.  Next door to the Dolphin Hotel.  Mind you, the Premier Inn stuff yourself as much as you can does sound a good alternative.

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Does one have to dress for breakfast at 'spoons every day.🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HikingPete said:

I'm hitting middle age, and I don't think its a crisis as such, but I'm seriously considering a tattoo - a full length sleeve.

If I find the right design and go ahead with it, and people want to judge me for it, so be it. I'm comfortable with who I am.

Pete, I am interested to know why you feel you want one.  No criticism intended at all, but I would love to know why people do this?

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Does one have to dress for breakfast at 'spoons every day.🤔

Most definitely.

Oct - March: Ripped and/or dirty jeans, black bomber jacket, bucket hat.

April - Sep: Cargo pocket short, vest or collarless T-shirt.  Home Office approved ankle bracelet (optional, up to 19:00 only).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4