P&O Standards dropped, probably never again.

The Med

20 minutes ago, The Med said:

Not enough crew,  lack of decent service, no wine menu brought out unless we asked, not as much choice in the buffet as other cruises, etc

But you are comparing pre and post covid, so not a fair comparison. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, The Med said:

Actually that’s not correct.

As I said, several people have picked up on only one aspect of my post, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I’m not solely judging it on a few passengers, I’m judging it on the whole experience.

Not enough crew,  lack of decent service, no wine menu brought out unless we asked, not as much choice in the buffet as other cruises, etc. 

I’ve enjoyed other cruise lines better and that’s why I will choose them in future.

If people were on the same cruise as us and enjoyed it then fair enough, I can only speak as I find. 

I think you will find that no one is having a go at you (If you look carefully the Mods have removed such posts ) "whole experience is valid to you and fair play to you . You admitted  that you had worded it wrong  .ie  Obese, tattooed, underdressed people who shouldn’t have even been allowed in on Gala night because they hadn’t followed the dress code . It does read a lot better with the two words greyed out . P&O should have stuck to the dress code which would have made for a more enjoyable event for you and others but as you did not like the cruise anyway as you say time to move on to better things that suit you .I wish you happy cruising in your future choices .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Med said:

But you have made a judgment of me and you’ve certainly lectured me, telling me to open my mind and live in a different way.

Do you have any idea how patronising that is?

You have no idea of me as a person. Things said on a forum do not directly related to how a person is in real life.

Also another person has said she doesn’t like tattoos, loud mouthed drunks but I don’t see her getting a virtual beating up.

It appears that I’m the punchbag. 
I’m not criticising anyone for their opinion or right to choose their holiday but people seem to be quite aggressive in their approach to me.

Try not to take it too personally. This is a P&O forum and people do tend to defend the product - much the same with other forums.

I think most would agree that changes have taken place to keep prices down, and not for the better. Personally, I miss the better lecturers that we used to see, frequently academics more akin to Swan Hellenic. The standard now is poor by comparison, rather like the comedians.

Formal wear is very much part of the P&O experience though and I’m amazed that you were laughed at. We saw people wandering around in vests on one cruise, and I was appalled - wouldn’t have dreamed of commenting though. It was very much the exception.

We have friends who’ve deserted P&O for Saga, and they won’t go back now. It’s a superior product, but it is sold at a superior price, and if you look at suite pricing, P&O offers particularly good value. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Med said:

I’m not criticising anyone for their opinion or right to choose their holiday but people seem to be quite aggressive in their approach to me.

I enjoyed your original post, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but did you expect to basically call us louts because we are comfortable with the P&O demographic and not expect us to defend ourselves. 

You booked a booze cruise, paid peanuts and expected five star service... 

P&O has lots of niggles, but still suits many of us for what we pay. 

You don't deserve to be insulted or abused, but nor do we... 

Rant over, I'm off to Wetherspoons, I think it's curry and a pint for a fiver, anyone coming? 

😊

Andy 

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Med said:

The lowering of standards was actually referring to the service onboard not the people.

'Too low class and common for us' was the last line of the post. I really don't see how those words can be used to describe onboard service. Mediocre, inferior, miserable inadequate or even shoddy, awful and terrible. Low class and common?   I think not.

Avril

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Try not to take it too personally. This is a P&O forum and people do tend to defend the product - much the same with other forums.

I think most would agree that changes have taken place to keep prices down, and not for the better. Personally, I miss the better lecturers that we used to see, frequently academics more akin to Swan Hellenic. The standard now is poor by comparison, rather like the comedians.

Formal wear is very much part of the P&O experience though and I’m amazed that you were laughed at. We saw people wandering around in vests on one cruise, and I was appalled - wouldn’t have dreamed of commenting though. It was very much the exception.

We have friends who’ve deserted P&O for Saga, and they won’t go back now. It’s a superior product, but it is sold at a superior price, and if you look at suite pricing, P&O offers particularly good value. 

This has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I've never sailed with P&O. My first cruise with them is on Thursday!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

This has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I've never sailed with P&O. My first cruise with them is on Thursday!

Have a good time !  You will find a lot less swearing onboard in the silent disco :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

15 minutes ago, The Med said:

But you have made a judgment of me and you’ve certainly lectured me, telling me to open my mind and live in a different way.

Do you have any idea how patronising that is?

You have no idea of me as a person. Things said on a forum do not directly related to how a person is in real life.

Also another person has said she doesn’t like tattoos, loud mouthed drunks but I don’t see her getting a virtual beating up.

It appears that I’m the punchbag. 

We all know that an on-line forum such as this is a minefield as it is very difficult to know the tone in which a post is written.

You have made some very valid points in your post but, to be honest, describing yourself as "middle class" (when a majority these days feel such class distinctions are no longer appropriate or valid), calling people "Obese, tattooed, underdressed people" and saying that P&O is "too low, common" for you was hardly likely to endear you to others reading your post.

I think many of us may well have some sort of empathy with some of what you write but language is very inflammatory at times and can easily lead to other, valid observations in the same post being overlooked.

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I am getting fed up with comments about tattoos, not just by the OP. I have three tattoos from my days in the RN and completed 24 years police service, retiring as a senior officer. 

Some judge others solely on narrow perceptions, without knowing the person. Enough from me, otherwise I'll be banned.

Bob, you are quite right.  My comment about tattoos was ill-said.  I supopose it's the ones with whole arms done that I dislike, but I perhaps shouldn't say it.  I won't again.

On the subject of 3 night cruises, it has always been said that the crew dislike them and therefore they have no time to get to know a passenger and know their likes and dislikes.  One of the joys of a longer cruise is just that.  I remember on a Fred cruise (OK much smaller ship) went to the bar on the third night and our drinks were being poured almost before we got there!

I have found that also in the Crows Nest on P&O ships.  After a few nights the waiter tends to remember you and the ordering is much quicker.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

Have a good time !  You will find a lot less swearing onboard in the silent disco :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

I loved the silent disco. They did not take up my suggestion of a silent Karaoke though 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

We all know that an on-line forum such as this is a minefield as it is very difficult to know the tone in which a post is written.

You have made some very valid points in your post but, to be honest, describing yourself as "middle class" (when a majority these days feel such class distinctions are no longer appropriate or valid), calling people "Obese, tattooed, underdressed people" and saying that P&O is "too low, common" for you was hardly likely to endear you to others reading your post.

I think many of us may well have some sort of empathy with some of what you write but language is very inflammatory at times and can easily lead to other, valid observations in the same post being overlooked.

Actually yes, put into context like that I accept that it was rude.

So apologies for anyone that I’ve offended. 
I am quite outspoken and opinionated and I absolutely love a lively debate.

However, I have learned that perhaps I shouldn’t always put my thoughts on a forum.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I loved the silent disco. They did not take up my suggestion of a silent Karaoke though 🤔

Last time I did  Karaoke my Mrs asked me  to stop singing “I’m a Believer”.

I Thought She Was Joking... But then I saw her face :classic_unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I enjoyed your original post, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but did you expect to basically call us louts because we are comfortable with the P&O demographic and not expect us to defend ourselves. 

You booked a booze cruise, paid peanuts and expected five star service... 

P&O has lots of niggles, but still suits many of us for what we pay. 

You don't deserve to be insulted or abused, but nor do we... 

Rant over, I'm off to Wetherspoons, I think it's curry and a pint for a fiver, anyone coming? 

😊

Andy 

Off to southampton know any good restaurants.😍🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Med said:

Actually that’s not correct.

As I said, several people have picked up on only one aspect of my post, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I’m not solely judging it on a few passengers, I’m judging it on the whole experience.

Not enough crew,  lack of decent service, no wine menu brought out unless we asked, not as much choice in the buffet as other cruises, etc. 

I’ve enjoyed other cruise lines better and that’s why I will choose them in future.

If people were on the same cruise as us and enjoyed it then fair enough, I can only speak as I find. 

I am assuming this was your first post covid cruise, so some of your criticisms may even apply to Cunard or Silversea. Lack of choice in the buffet, wine menu only available if you ask, and lack of service, not sure about not enough crew, especially as others have said how good it was. It makes me wonder if your expectations of a post covid cruise were perhaps a little too high. 

One further point, you do not say if you brought the dress code violation to the notice of anyone in the MDR, or even raised it later with passenger services, and how they responded?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is plenty of choice down here, even ones where you don't have to ask for a wine list... 🍷😊

Don't drink. Just want a nice meal somewhere. Have booked a steakhouse (begins with a C) but when I phoned there was such loud music I couldn't hear him speak. So now am not sure. Unfortunately you have to pre-book everywhere I have looked. The one I have booked had only got 6pm (I wanted 8pm) so that was the reason I phoned.

3 hours ago, The Med said:

Thank you.

I did express myself badly and I’ve obviously offended quite a few people.

However, it’s a discussion forum and I have the right to discuss and have a different opinion.

I do fully admit to being a snob and make no apology for that.

For the record, I’m not male, I’m a female pensioner.

Apologies for calling you him, don't  know why I took "The Med" to be a male name.

I didn't want to stifle discussion, and having standards doesn't make you a snob except to those that don't.

I also felt that some of the selfrightious  lecturing you where getting was in its own way offensive. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I'm travelling solo to get footage for my vlog mostly.

I subscribed to your YouTube channel the other day, I enjoyed your walk around London and I'm looking forward to watching your cruise vlogs.

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

I subscribed to your YouTube channel the other day, I enjoyed your walk around London and I'm looking forward to watching your cruise vlogs.

Oh thanks Sarah 🙂 Really happy to hear you enjoyed. New episodes go up every weekend!