The Daily for Tuesday August 10, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Your photos are always excellent and I'm sure everyone appreciates you  posting them.

Graham.

Graham, thank you for your kind words.  With so many pictures, it's hard to choose.

I enjoyed your pictures of Pauline and her parents.  I could see a resemblance between her and her mother.

Lenda

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rather gray, misty and cool day in Glacier Bay but still a beautiful day of scenic cruising. Did get to see and hear calving at Margerie Glacier.

Tonight we continue our specialty dining only in the Caneletto.

image.thumb.jpeg.74152e0e0d692b8fcdc35b0a91957ab2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d3bee3db9f3a65930247a103a4f4f147.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good evening. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm really late today. I had my annual wellness check with the PCP today. She was happy with my BP, cholesterol, slight weight loss and successful eye surgery. Shortly after I came home the power went out! We had a thunderstorm but not a bad one. I was upset that I couldn't get on line with my phone, despite a good signal. You call Verizon and only get automated stuff. I finally chatted with someone online once the power was back; she really had no answers why I could call but no internet using cellular data.

Interesting days. Happy Islamic New Year. I have no dog to spoil. I'll be lazy tomorrow. Love the Smithsonian. I like the quote.

I like pulled pork. but I'm having pad Thai tonight. 

I have been to Lisbon on a land trip.

@Mr. Boston Prayers for your DSIL.

@Tbay Happy Birthday!

@aliaschief Thanks for your updates!

@cruzn single Praying for the best for you with your upcoming tests.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your 😷 if need be.

424292824_007-MarquisofPombalthePMwhorebuiltLisbonaftertheGreatEarthquakein1755.thumb.jpg.71b34c0e28bcf4690595c7473df1b30b.jpg

Tile work

832854407_011-TileworkinLisbon.thumb.jpg.a7813b083b91dc1dd5bd93eb4357f76c.jpg

Monastery of St. Mary

1467927377_013-MosteirodosJernimos(MonasteryofSt.MaryofBelem)Lisbon.thumb.jpg.7d843bd17d381f965d2e822e10682ddc.jpg

Monument to the Discoveries

1217726699_015-MonumenttotheDiscoveriesLisbon.thumb.jpg.4bc0e9886074b48f36392440d13879f2.jpg

286990038_017-PlazaofMonumenttotheDiscoveriesWindRoseincenter.thumb.jpg.6beee6df8edeef712279a245c3f82cfd.jpg

Belem Tower1844439551_018-TorredeBelm(BelemTower).thumb.jpg.798eecedba222b9dc96ddb2c3efa3aae.jpg

• Like 18

😊All the wonderful photos brought back such good memories of Portugal! I designed a trip (my friends call me the 'unpaid' trip planner, lol!😉) that included some day trips along with visiting and staying in many cities including Lisbon, Obidos, Evora, Fatima, Tomar, Coimbra, Porto and Guimaraes. Being retired, planning is fun and a lot of serendipity with festivals, etc. that make a trip special like when we saw all the students in Coimbra celebrating graduation.🎓👩‍🎓👨‍🎓 I'm a Harry Potter fan so Porto was a find and drinking port in Gaia was perfect for tastings.🍷 We even booked a long 'day trip' on the Douro. I'm talking myself into a return trip to Portugal ha-ha!😁 😉Oh...I wish! 

😎Katie

FB_IMG_1619240410329.jpg

• Like 13

I was also supposed to go for my first visit to Lisbon in June 2020 (a pre cruise visit)........so now I have a voucher from TAP Air Portugal to use!  I plan on using it for a land trip hopefully in 2022.  I enjoy seeing all the great pictures and you have given me a few ideas on other areas to visit as well.

~Nancy

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I was also supposed to go for my first visit to Lisbon in June 2020 (a pre cruise visit)........so now I have a voucher from TAP Air Portugal to use!  I plan on using it for a land trip hopefully in 2022.  I enjoy seeing all the great pictures and you have given me a few ideas on other areas to visit as well.

~Nancy

🚌In Portugal, the buses were unbelievably easy, comfortable and even had free WiFi on board. You couldn't beat the price, too. Seats were assigned after getting a reservation. We were seats 5 and 6 on most trips, lol! 😁 We had no plans for a return flight (winging it) and decided to fly to Barcelona from Porto and spend more time away. ✈ Even one -way flights at the time (2019) were reasonable!

I just finished an interesting book called Take More Vacations (by Scott Keyes) with lots of tips to make the most out of adventures. 

😉Katie

• Like 7

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. They made me feel very special.  It was a lazy day, with phone calls from friends and family.  And we did have pulled pork for lunch.  We loved going to the Smithsonian when we lived in Delaware. It's easy to tell all the dogs here are spoiled and loved. 

Thank you to all who posted pictures of Lisbon.  What a beautiful city.

@cruzensingleSending positive thoughts. 

• Like 11

@garlictownHmmm....buses.  I hadn't considered that but if they are nice than that sounds like something to look at.  Big question though is do they have bathrooms?  It's strange but even if I don't need one I get anxious if I don't have one available or in my control (such as when I'm driving myself).  Maybe TMI!!!   🙄

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

As late as I'm making my first post, one might think I took lazy day to new heights...but I've been running a mile a minute for work since I got up this morning.  

Thank you all for sharing your wonderful photos of trips to Lisbon...it looks like a wonderful place to visit!

My last visit to the Smithsonian was SUPPOSED to be to see the Dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History...at the time, my daughter lived a short Metro ride from DC and we traveled in to see the giants.  Sadly, the entire exhibit was closed for refurbishment and we always planned to get back.  Well, daughter is now in Charlottesville VA so not sure when we'll finally see those prehistoric creatures.

Love the description of today's wine - sounds like a great value, @cat shepard, I'll have to seek that one out.

Keeping all who need our care and prayers in my thoughts.  So glad to have discovered this supportive community of friendly people.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Count me among those who took a minute for the right meaning of ‘liver’ to fall in place.😂

You can add me to it, too.  LOL 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Well, our TA managed to get WestJet to agree to refund our outbound flights, but they won't do it until after our return flights from Fort Lauderdale.  A bit strange, but I guess they want to be sure we use at least that part.   Now she will get on to BA.  So maybe it will work out.

Excellent.  small successes are good.  You can only eat an elephant one bite at a time 😉 (and no I don’t eat them, it’s an expression for a difficult task).

I feel in my heart it will work out for you 🤞 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Which island did you visit?

😃 We just stayed on Sao Miguel and enjoyed ourselves. No other islands. A land trip with the niece and her husband, rented a car for a couple of days and toured all over the island. Took a few tours and walked all around Ponta Delgada. Loved the island, loved the people and really loved the food (a bit too much of the food, there was this one restaurant we found ourselves at nearly ever night......for dessert, we called it a chocolate bomb and ohhhh, so yummy!).

Best wishes!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Got unsettling news after my mammogram, but have to wait for over a month for the follow-up tests. Scheduling is just so far out because of many delayed medical issues.

Oh dear, that is so upsetting you have to wait for tests 😢 

I pray that they can come faster and you will have results that are good and can put your mind at ease 🙏🏻. How scary 😢 😱 

We’re here with you ♥️ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

@garlictownHmmm....buses.  I hadn't considered that but if they are nice than that sounds like something to look at.  Big question though is do they have bathrooms?  It's strange but even if I don't need one I get anxious if I don't have one available or in my control (such as when I'm driving myself).  Maybe TMI!!!   🙄

~Nancy

Nancy~~I don't remember any restrooms. However, between cities and pick ups, the bus driver said we had a little break and there were public restrooms (remember your Euros) at the bus stations. Traveling by train, no problems with restrooms....sometimes, the trains were less convenient for us.

🙄 I know exactly what you mean!!  

• Like 5

Good evening.  

This is one of those nights when my back won't let me sleep.   Eventually I will and the back will be fine.  This happens about once a week.  I do have nerve ablation scheduled, but not until the end of September.  

@Tbay Happy Birthday.  Even though I am late to the party, I hope  you had a great celebration.

@cruzn single Hang in there.  With the Dailyites cheering you on, all is meant to be well.   Hugs and warm thoughts to you.

Thanks to all who posted pictures of Lisbon.   I spent 45 minutes at the airport in Lisbon once upon a time.  Never got off the plane, but I was there!  It was a flight from JFK and we let passengers off.  Not many came on board there, so I moved to the row behind me, put all the armrests up and slept until Barcelona.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 6

It is still Tuesday here but early Wednesday for most of you. 

Thank you for the lists, reports and good news.

Getting hot here tomorrow and a dry wind. 

Great picture of Lisbon.  Thanks to all who have posted.

Stay well and safe.  Waiting for the new mask requirements in Oregon tomorrow.  Washington usually follows.  Interesting times.

Cheers to all who are celebrating and prayers to  those on the care list.

🤗

• Like 6

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Rather gray, misty and cool day in Glacier Bay but still a beautiful day of scenic cruising. Did get to see and hear calving at Margerie Glacier.

Tonight we continue our specialty dining only in the Caneletto.

image.thumb.jpeg.74152e0e0d692b8fcdc35b0a91957ab2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d3bee3db9f3a65930247a103a4f4f147.jpeg

Wow!  

Excellent shots.

The "grayness" really brings everything out ... very crisp and clear. 

(Note to self - Vic, book a cruise to Alaska in 2023!  Regards, Vic  🙃)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Graham, thank you for your kind words.  With so many pictures, it's hard to choose.

I enjoyed your pictures of Pauline and her parents.  I could see a resemblance between her and her mother.

Lenda

Thank you.

I certainly enjoy seeing your photos and also other posters who kindly post photos too.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1