Carnival Vista from today's USA Today

lostsoulcruiser

Twenty-seven people sailing on Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Vista ship have tested positive for COVID-19. Of those who tested positive, 26 are crew members and one person is a passenger, according to a news release from the Belize Tourism Board Wednesday.

Carnival spokesperson AnneMarie Matthews confirmed the positive cases and additional info in the tourism board's statement to USA TODAY.

Matthews said positive COVID cases were first announced last Wednesday during the previous cruise that disembarked last Saturday in Galveston, Texas. It's unclear how many people were positive at that time. 

"We are managing a small number of COVID cases on board Vista," Matthews said. "Guests on board both the previous and current sailing were informed and, specifically on the current sailing, the Captain has made at least two announcements related to this."

• Like 1

Over two sailings as I pointed out before. The Belize health department inspected the ship and was satisfied that it was well under control and allowed passengers too enjoy their day in Belize. No more new cases discovered 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Twenty-seven people sailing on Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Vista ship have tested positive for COVID-19. Of those who tested positive, 26 are crew members and one person is a passenger, according to a news release from the Belize Tourism Board Wednesday.

Carnival spokesperson AnneMarie Matthews confirmed the positive cases and additional info in the tourism board's statement to USA TODAY.

Matthews said positive COVID cases were first announced last Wednesday during the previous cruise that disembarked last Saturday in Galveston, Texas. It's unclear how many people were positive at that time. 

"We are managing a small number of COVID cases on board Vista," Matthews said. "Guests on board both the previous and current sailing were informed and, specifically on the current sailing, the Captain has made at least two announcements related to this."

Heres the rest of it you left out....

"We are pleased to inform that our personnel from the Ministry of Health and Wellness also carried out an inspection of the protocols on board the Carnival Vista this morning and are satisfied that they have been able to verify that the measures put in place by the ship are meticulous and deemed highly effective," the tourism board said.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

This is thread number 5 on this. 

Because the others veer way off topic and people cannot discuss without arguing, name calling etc. New CC guidelines re covid discussion are highlighted in red above the board for all to review

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carnival would just help itself and disclose the exact number of cases like Royal has done so in the past. Carnival seems to be hesitant to be transparent and only responds vaguely concerning current  passengers and crew who have tested positive for  COVID on their ships.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, coaster said:

Carnival would just help itself and disclose the exact number of cases like Royal has done so in the past. Carnival seems to be hesitant to be transparent and only responds vaguely concerning current  passengers and crew who have tested positive for  COVID on their ships.

Unless Carnival exceeds the CDC threshold, what difference does it make on each cruise?  People know by now that they can get covid if they travel.  It appears that Carnival exceeded the crew threshold with the Vista cruise, but on other cruises when the cases are fewer it shouldn't make a difference. 

• Like 5

Carnival will blow this opportunity- it’s so carnival to do.

We all root for the company but it really doesn’t help itself in so many ways. Covid - the ultimate test may be the one to take them in the wrong direction.  Someone may get hurt the way they are approaching this and then they will be judged much differently. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

@BlerkOneI saw your post earlier. Idk if you saw the bit that Belize was doing random tests and I think 60 were done, didnt memorize all the numbers. Hes been digging for information for us.

According to that, 68 passengers were randomly rapid tested by Belizian authorities during the day's stop in port.  All negative results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matymil said:

Heres the rest of it you left out....

"We are pleased to inform that our personnel from the Ministry of Health and Wellness also carried out an inspection of the protocols on board the Carnival Vista this morning and are satisfied that they have been able to verify that the measures put in place by the ship are meticulous and deemed highly effective," the tourism board said.

Seems Carnival was very transparent in allowing a foreign country to inspect the ship and their protocols. And the CDC is quite aware of the situation as well. Carnival is to be congratulated. Bravo 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

We all root for the company but it really doesn’t help itself in so many ways. Covid - the ultimate test may be the one to take them in the wrong direction.  Someone may get hurt the way they are approaching this and then they will be judged much differently. 

Will blow what opportunity? What would you have them do differently in this situation? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Seems Carnival was very transparent in allowing a foreign country to inspect the ship and their protocols. And the CDC is quite aware of the situation as well. Carnival is to be congratulated. Bravo 

Yeah i dont know what the other person is talking about, blowing opportunities. They cant stop covid from happening, its going to make its way onto the ship one way or another. This seems like the first real test for them and the fact that this has been news for 5 hours now and this thread is literally the only place im hearing about it, is a major win for Carnival.

• Like 2

Seeem like the other lines are doing better. Carnival having Belize inspect the ship prob give nobody confidence. The CDC will prob come on board later and we shall see what happens. 

They are packing ships with 80% capacity - which their ships have less comman space than most of the other lines. Do your math more people, less space - COVID and you get a poss disaster. 

I don’t care if people want to hear this because they are so happy to get on a ship they will take any chance, but 27 people means there is a chance there are many many many more. 

• Haha 1

After all the CDC bashing, I would think an inspection by an independent health department would be welcomed. That and the fact that Carnival is running cruises that have at least a 95% passenger vaccination rate gives me great confidence that Carnival is taking the right approach.

Now that Carnival is requiring pre-cruise testing of all and a stronger mask mandate I am even more convinced that Carnival is taking passenger and crew safety to a higher level. A real game changer. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Seeem like the other lines are doing better. Carnival having Belize inspect the ship prob give nobody confidence. The CDC will prob come on board later and we shall see what happens. 

They are packing ships with 80% capacity - which their ships have less comman space than most of the other lines. Do your math more people, less space - COVID and you get a poss disaster. 

I don’t care if people want to hear this because they are so happy to get on a ship they will take any chance, but 27 people means there is a chance there are many many many more. 

First of all, Carnival is not packing ships with 80% capacity, it's closer to 70%.  And 26/27 are crew, with only 1 being a passenger.  If you feel that the other lines currently doing business are doing a better job, then cancel any future bookings with Carnival that you have over the following year and book with other lines.  That is of course if you have a stake in the game and you have some upcoming bookings on Carnival or are you just blowing smoke via your keyboard?

• Like 5

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Over two sailings as I pointed out before. The Belize health department inspected the ship and was satisfied that it was well under control and allowed passengers too enjoy their day in Belize. No more new cases discovered 

Blerk - I guess there was no issue in Cozumel.  Weren't they stopping there next?

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don’t think “allow” is the right word. They were under the jurisdiction of the port authorities. They are the ones who control port entry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

46 minutes ago, Babr said:

I don’t think “allow” is the right word. They were under the jurisdiction of the port authorities. They are the ones who control port entry.

I agree with Babr, I believe it was part of the routine inspection to receive the pratique, aka receive permission to dock by the goverment.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I agree with Babr, I believe it was part of the routine inspection to receive the pratique, aka receive permission to dock by the goverment.

And if and when the CDC does that using the Coast Guard, lots and lots of passengers will be extremely agitated.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And if and when the CDC does that using the Coast Guard, lots and lots of passengers will be extremely agitated.

Ships have to be granted permission every time they enter port. Free pratique is just part of the process. Most passengers have never been aware of it until now, and it really does not matter if they get agitated.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I can assure you, with 100% certainty that every cruiseline is following what the CDC has dictated. This type of post is BS and to be frank, it is your fellow guests who are the ones who don't help themselves. Fake vaccine cards, fake testing results, etc. If you think for one second the cruiselines will do something to jeopardize their sailing status you are ill informed. Also, maybe just maybe the CDC has someone sailing onboard the ships as well. Bravo is in order for Carnival and the cruise industry. 

• Like 11