The Daily for Tuesday August 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Thriftshop Day, Balloon Air Mail Day, and Baby Boomers Recognition Day

Do not let a flattering woman coax and wheedle you and deceive you; she is after your barn. - Hesiod

Meal suggestion for today - Meatball Baked Ziti

Drink of the Day - Prairie Fire

Wine of the day - Estancia Pinot Grigio - California - White

Destination of the Day - La Possession Reunion

Ships with Passengers

Glacier Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam 18:00 - 22:00

Kerkira (Corfu), Greece
Eurodam 07:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/22

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0817Alaska.thumb.png.e7897b56b02e2df2978f9aa9b52e8bff.png

0817NAmerica.thumb.png.c899f1b4eec374d7f40cb3b15973500a.png

0817Europe.thumb.png.44513f3237a443589af37599da79205a.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I love the idea of balloons delivering mail.  So peaceful.  A salute to Baby Boomers (I'm one, are you?).  Someday, I'll go back to shopping in thrift stores.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

We have been to Corfu, I'll see if I can find some pictures to share.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'm sure Balloon Air Mail was a great advance in it's day.  I'm just a bit older than the baby boomers but pretty close now.  A special salute to our Thrift Shops.  I like the quote.  Reunion was to be my next port after Perth on my 2020 QM2 world cruise but we all know what happened there.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Watermelon Cocktail, Chilled Coconut and Nutmeg Soup, and Spaghetti Puttanesca as served on MS Statendam August 17, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
RIP Copeland
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL in hospice
StLouisSal’s friend with liver transplant and now Covid
Brenda with breakthrough Covid and mourning Copeland’s loss and her brother nearing death
My Fire Department Vice President
Sharon’s mom starting radiation
Haiti
Afghanistan
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
Progress for Tana
MS Bolette (nee Amsterdam) sailing with passengers
Welcome home Dfish, Aliaschief, and cunnorl
NextOne shingles improvement
Substitute teachers including jimgev
4 days for cruisin single
Great photo of baby Camila
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the daily report Rich and good morning daily friends.  Thrift shops are fun to poke around in and important to donate to.  Not sure what balloon air mail is but it sounds fun.  This Boomer is grateful for any and all appreciation received today. Won’t touch today’s quote with a ten foot pole!  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for all on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 21

Good morning.  Love strolling through Thrift Shops. Confusing quote.  I think I'm too old to be a boomer.We have had the meal before, I've made it several times.  It is so good.  Have not been to the port of the Day.  Looking forward to the photo's.

Major prayers for our care list.  It is getting longer each day.  Toasts to those on the Celebration list. Miss Camilla is so beautiful.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Prairie Fire:

Ingredients
1 ounce tequila
2 dashes Tabasco Sauce
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the tequila into a shot glass.
Add a few dashes of Tabasco to taste.
Serve and enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.00.23 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!   

It was so nice to wake up at home today!   I always sleep better in my own bed.  Although, the second best is on a BHB.  25 days!

Today is the pool and the grocery store afterwards.   I did a decent job cleaning the house before I left.  I love coming home to a clean house and that is a tradition.

Today's meal sounds scrumptious.  The comfort food I turned to during the quarantine days was Stouffer's Lasagna.   There is just something about the pasta, tomato sauce and cheese that brings warm feelings.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/11/04/meatball-baked-ziti/

Meatball-Baked-ZitiIMG_1511.thumb.jpg.bd5ebc80d86a5d8b880ad2b526e2f296.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love strolling through Thrift Shops. Confusing quote.  I think I'm too old to be a boomer.We have had the meal before, I've made it several times.  It is so good.  Have not been to the port of the Day.  Looking forward to the photo's.

Major prayers for our care list.  It is getting longer each day.  Toasts to those on the Celebration list. Miss Camilla is so beautiful.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Prairie Fire:

Ingredients
1 ounce tequila
2 dashes Tabasco Sauce
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the tequila into a shot glass.
Add a few dashes of Tabasco to taste.
Serve and enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.00.23 AM.png

I will take a rain check on this one!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'm sure Balloon Air Mail was a great advance in it's day.  I'm just a bit older than the baby boomers but pretty close now.  A special salute to our Thrift Shops.  I like the quote.  Reunion was to be my next port after Perth on my 2020 QM2 world cruise but we all know what happened there.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Watermelon Cocktail, Chilled Coconut and Nutmeg Soup, and Spaghetti Puttanesca as served on MS Statendam August 17, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
RIP Copeland
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL in hospice
StLouisSal’s friend with liver transplant and now Covid
Brenda with breakthrough Covid and mourning Copeland’s loss and her brother nearing death
My Fire Department Vice President
Sharon’s mom starting radiation
Haiti
Afghanistan
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
Progress for Tana
MS Bolette (nee Amsterdam) sailing with passengers
Welcome home Dfish, Aliaschief, and cunnorl
NextOne shingles improvement
Substitute teachers including jimgev
4 days for cruisin single
Great photo of baby Camila
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy, Thank you for both lists.  Neither meal choice appeals to me.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a 2013 Veendam cruise out of Boston.  It was taken in Boston August 17, 2013 before boarding the ship:

dawn0817.jpg

Roy

It looks like you were at Rowes Wharf, across the street from my office.

• Like 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, I appreciate you keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family!

I would like to meet Mr. Hesiod to discuss his quote. And he does NOT have to worry about me flattering him. I am passing on the drink. The meal sounds nummy. That might be my carb intake for a few days, but worth it. 

Another humid day in the neighborhood. Not much planned other than Bindi walks. Might do leftover turkey burger with zoodles and tomato sauce for supper. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Estancia Pinot Grigio

The 2019 vintage might be more readily available and shares the same very good rating as the 2017 vintage highlighted below. Lots of local and online distributors. Prices online start at $9.99.

Winemaker Notes

#41 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Best Buys of 2018

This Pinot Grigio is grown in select California vineyards, where chilly ocean breezes produce grapes with balanced taste and concentrated flavors.

WE89 Wine Enthusiast:  Light citrus aromas and tangy apple flavors give this light-bodied wine a lively personality. From a long-time value-oriented brand, it has good fruit acidity, very fresh fruit flavor nuances and a crisp, clean finish. Best Buy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas where we might get more rain today and tomorrow.

The first attempt to deliver mail by hot air balloon was August 17, 1859, but due to light winds it was not successful.  I am a Baby Boomer, but DH isn't.  Thrift shops are interesting to wander through, and I'm working on another load to take to our local one. 

The quote is interesting.

I make a similar dish to today's meal but with ground Italian sausage or a vegetarian version with spinach.  DH would like the meatballs.  I think we've had the wine on a BHB..  Will pass  on the drink.

We have not been to today's port yet. It was on a cruise in 2004 that we canceled and changed to a different one.  Maybe someday.

Lenda

• Like 20

Good Morning Everyone from a sunny and warm day at the beach.

I am not familiar with todays port so I guess I have never been there, not unusual. Looking forward to pictures. Love the meal selection but it is too heavy for this time of year for us. I am certainly a boomer!

Off to the lab for my blood draw. Physical in a few weeks. Should have thought of this when I scheduled. Just back from New England where I ate wonderful seafood everyday!!

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone. My daughter loves wandering through thrift shops and winds up buying things she doesn’t really need.

Prayers for so many on today’s list. Thank you Rich and Roy for the work you do every day for our daily thread.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 20

I have a question.  I have about another week of alternative menus from August Statendam and Veendam cruises and then nothing for about a month.  Last year the alternative menu went on hiatus for that period.  I could do the same this year or I could do a month of Crystal menus which would be from the Symphony in 2018 (The Grand Alaska/Panama trip that began with the Volendam and Westerdam) and then the Serenity 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.

What do you think?

Roy

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My daughter loves wandering through thrift shops and winds up buying things she doesn’t really need.

Prayers for so many on today’s list. Thank you Rich and Roy for the work you do every day for our daily thread.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

I hope today will be more relaxing than yesterday was.

Roy

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question.  I have about another week of alternative menus from August Statendam and Veendam cruises and then nothing for about a month.  Last year the alternative menu went on hiatus for that period.  I could do the same this year or I could do a month of Crystal menus which would be from the Symphony in 2018 (The Grand Alaska/Panama trip that began with the Volendam and Westerdam) and then the Serenity 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.

What do you think?

Roy

That would be interesting to see, I think

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1