The Daily for Tuesday August 17, 2021

richwmn

26 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Jim, may I share this with my friends? People need to understand what is happening in our hospitals.

St Louis Sal

Sure, Of course. The more we get the word out , the better. It is so painful to see the denial in people even when they are fighting for their lives..

• Like 13

6 hours ago, jimgev said:

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Roy, I appreciate your menu suggestions. They make me dream and even inspire me to try some things. Anything you are able to contribute is very much appreciated.

I feel the need to talk about something serious. My DW is an RN who works the night shift at our local hospital. She came home this AM completely exhausted. The hospital is overwhealmed with covid patients. The Emergency room is overflowing with no in-patient beds to put people. ALL of these are people who are not vaccinated. Please, please urge everyone you know to get vaccinated. This is really serious stuff.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

Jim, we hear the exact same thing from neighbors here in San Diego -- she a hospital nurse and he anesthesiologist at the same hospital.  It's not just Florida.  People really need to get with the program.

• Like 13

I think my on going reorganization of closets, cabinets, etc. is getting to DH.  The last to fall victim to my efforts was his cabinet in the office.  After 20 years, with things just put in it anywhere, I was having trouble finding anything.

It is now organized and easier to find things.  I will add that DH did sort through 40 years of software, and tossed some he did not need.  The rest is now sorted and filed by programs.  Most of the stuff in the cabinet is still there, but with a lot of free space, for now.  

There is one more closet which has not been touched in almost 22 years.  It is next, for tomorrow or the next day, or whenever, I get ambitious.  I can put up with most things except clutter.

Now, it's time to put my feet up and finish my book.

Lenda

• Like 15

Good afternoon, all! Hot air ballon mail delivery sounds like fun. At least it would give some new excuses for mail arriving late, especially in windy weather! This baby boomer is addicted to Thrift Shops, as is DH. From time to time we donate back the unnecessary stuff we bought. I try very hard not to buy any ‘finds’ we have previously  bought and re-donated!

Well, today’s quote certainly let the cat out of the bag! In our case, DH ended up with the last laugh. After all my scheming, turns out he didn’t even HAVE a barn!😉

The baked ziti sounds good, but I’m taking advantage of the cool,weather and have a pork roast in the oven for tonight, and several nights after.

I was talking to DS I. The Okanagan today. She is very sick of the smoke and fires. Yesterday the power lines fell on the highway near them, sparking a fire. Luckily the fire was put out before it could spread, but their power was out for 11 hours. Both main highways from their region to the coast are closed now. My nephew and his girls who were visiting made it through just a few hours before the closure. He said the fire was beside the road, but hadn’t jumped it yet. We are in scary times.

I haven’t been to today’s port yet, and appreciate the pictures from those who have.

Happy Tuesday! @cat shepardas good as today’s wine sounds, I bet it would taste better sipped aboard a BHB!

EAA91FD2-F44B-4089-8C33-577EFE51A794.thumb.jpeg.1ea64dd7697c7cd6e7bf0d1bc04b61eb.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

I will post just a note. I have been nursing my service dog all week and last night she crossed the bridge. I will miss her so much but she had fun while she was my service dog and allowed me to start traveling and cruising again. I just wanted you all to know why I’ve been so quiet. 

I’m so sorry for your loss. ❤️

• Like 7

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

I will post just a note. I have been nursing my service dog all week and last night she crossed the bridge. I will miss her so much but she had fun while she was my service dog and allowed me to start traveling and cruising again. I just wanted you all to know why I’ve been so quiet. 

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.  They are so loyal, and loving, and become a part of the family.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

She brought me out of a dark and lonely place, so because of all we have worked on over the last six years I believe I will be able to do the cruise in September. I’m sure there will be rough spots but I’ve actually thought about getting a teddy bear for the cruise. Just something to hug. 

Does she have a collar you could put on the teddy bear, so she is traveling with you in spirit?

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Does she have a collar you could put on the teddy bear, so she is traveling with you in spirit?

What a wonderful idea . . . good for you for thinking of it!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 12

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question.  I have about another week of alternative menus from August Statendam and Veendam cruises and then nothing for about a month.  Last year the alternative menu went on hiatus for that period.  I could do the same this year or I could do a month of Crystal menus which would be from the Symphony in 2018 (The Grand Alaska/Panama trip that began with the Volendam and Westerdam) and then the Serenity 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.

What do you think?

Roy

I would like to see you post the month of Crystal menus.

Jane

• Like 7

Greetings to all!  First of all my heart aches for all the sad news today and in the previous 3-4 days.  Wish the care list was much shorter and the shout-out list was longer.  My prayers go out for all!

I was supposed to go to Vegas on Friday night with my step-daughter and step-son's wife to visit DIL's brother and his SO.  As I was typing on my laptop for the Daily,  I saw the message pop up from dear Allegiant Airlines that our flight was cancelled.  When I notified both girls, they decided we would drive!  So, we finished throwing stuff into our suitcases, and off we went!  Arrived in Vegas about 11:00 pm.  Town was crazy and parking on the Strip was almost non-existent due to a Raiders game.  We had a great time.  I want to tell you that masks are quite uncomfortable in the Vegas heat, but we were faithful in wearing them both there and while traveling!  And, none of the three of us gambled even so much as a penny!  Highlight of the trip for all of us was to see the "O" show at the Bellagio.

Now, today, I have been doing laundry, catching up on mail, and starting to get my clothes and thoughts organized to leave Friday for Seattle and the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Have to do my COVID test on Thursday (and hope that all is good with that).  Tomorrow will be a manicure and maybe stop by the bank for a little more cash.

Smoke is still very thick here and was also thick in driving thru Utah.  It was so nice to be in clearer air in Vegas for our brief visit.

Have a great evening, everyone.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

That’s a really nice idea ❤️ 

My CC friend whose husband passed shortly before the cruise had a teddy bear on board who went with her everywhere.  It was named after her husband and inside she had a few of his ashes.  His dying wish was that she take that cruise.  She still travels with that bear to this day.

• Like 18

52 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Seasick SailorJoy, I'm getting my third Pfizer shot this Friday.  You asked if anyone was planning to.  A friend who cruises with us a lot told me yesterday they are available in our area and she got hers.  Seems that's the direction we're going, at least for people over 60.

Maxine

Maxine that's great. Our doctor told us she suggests 8 months from 2nd shot. That puts us at late September. We cruise in early Dec. Should be good timing. Thanks for letting me know. Will you let us know how the 3rd shot goes?

• Like 7

It's been a bit of a rough afternoon.  The anesthetic for the root canal is really hanging on.I hadn't realized how soft my dinner would need to be but I can hardly even drink from a cup now and I'm feeling quite drained.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Just now, rafinmd said:

It's been a bit of a rough afternoon.  The anesthetic for the root canal is really hanging on.I hadn't realized how soft my dinner would need to be but I can hardly even drink from a cup now and I'm feeling quite drained.

Roy

Oh Roy, I'm sorry for the tough day. I hope you are able to sleep well tonight and feel better tomorrow. Please put yourself on the top of our care list. Prayers..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I echo Joy.  Please take care of yourself, and try to get as much rest as possible.  You really should be at the top of the Care list!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sorry it has been so rough, Roy.   

Hoping that you sleep well and tomorrow brings a huge improvement. 

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Maxine that's great. Our doctor told us she suggests 8 months from 2nd shot. That puts us at late September. We cruise in early Dec. Should be good timing. Thanks for letting me know. Will you let us know how the 3rd shot goes?

I will do that, Joy.  DH has his on Thursday, so I'll report on his, too.  My friend said she had slight headache -- same as with the other two shots.  

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Ugh!  I've been thinking of you, Roy.  So many things to get stressed over, and then put a root canal on top of it.  Please rest, rest, rest.  If you are "woozy," you could fall, so don't take any chances.  I've had a lot of surgeries and it seems like anesthesia is very inconsistent as far as recovery time.  

As others said, if in doubt, call the doctor!!  It's concerning that you are having a hard time taking in fluids.  You need them to flush all that stuff out of your system.

Don't get dehydrated! 

I hope you feel better quickly!

• Like 11