The Daily for Tuesday August 17, 2021

richwmn

Well I can finally post! Several days of post going into cyberspace. As our birthday celebration this year my friend and I are doing a county thrifting trip after labour day. We will have lunch along the way and spend the day wandering from town to town. Sadly, while doing my research, I discovered the several of the smaller thrift stores have closed up shop, most likely do to Covid lockdowns. My BFF and I enjoy doing this in Florida (we both had been wintering in the Clearwater area) so we thought we would bring it home. Neither of us plans on going to Florida this winter, again.

cheers to the celebration list and prayers for the care list.  

• Like 25

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question.  I have about another week of alternative menus from August Statendam and Veendam cruises and then nothing for about a month.  Last year the alternative menu went on hiatus for that period.  I could do the same this year or I could do a month of Crystal menus which would be from the Symphony in 2018 (The Grand Alaska/Panama trip that began with the Volendam and Westerdam) and then the Serenity 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.

What do you think?

Roy

I appreciate you doing anything, Roy. I think it is a great idea.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I  was  unable  to  like  posts by  the  time  I  got  to  #9 which  was  Debbie's. I  will  try  again  later  as  I  do  like  ziti  with  and  without  meatballs. It  would  be  good  to  make  some  soon  for  our  family  group. It  is  cooler  and  cloudy  today  so  the  oven  could  be  on.

Yesterday while  we  were  driving  to  our  taxman  appointment, DH  told  me  that  50  years  ago he  was  on  his  way  to  the  second  day  of  Woodstock. He  was  a  Camp  Counselor  nearby  and  got 2  days  off. Our  children  have  heard  the  "story  of  Woodstock" all  their  lives and  he  made  sure  their  partners  also  knew  he  was  there. I  am  six  years  younger  so  there  was  no  way  I  could  get  there...We  are  Baby  Boomers   but  I  don't  know  that  we  deserve  recognition  for  it! Although  I  have  to  say  that  a  lot  of  my  fellow  high  school  graduates  chose  careers  in professions  that  aided  others  and  I  do  remember  believing(!) that  we  could  help  make  the  world  a  better  place. Sigh.

We  have  not  been  to  the  port  of  the  day  and  look  forward  to  pictures.

@rafinmd,  I  am  sorry  to  hear  of  the  illnesses  and  upcoming  procedures  your  friends  are  facing. It  is  hard  to  get  so  much  difficult  news  in  the  same  day. My  DH  told  me  yesterday  that  he  remembers  being  sick  and  tired  of  Cardiac  Rehab after  a  certain  time  frame  and  felt  that  it  was  a  real  chore. I  hope  today  is  better  for  you.

Terry

• Like 25

43 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question.  I have about another week of alternative menus from August Statendam and Veendam cruises and then nothing for about a month.  Last year the alternative menu went on hiatus for that period.  I could do the same this year or I could do a month of Crystal menus which would be from the Symphony in 2018 (The Grand Alaska/Panama trip that began with the Volendam and Westerdam) and then the Serenity 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.

What do you think?

Roy

I  always  enjoy  seeing  your  meal  selections!

• Like 17

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What do you think?

Roy

Alternatives  from Crystal and Symphony would be interesting, Roy.  I’m good with whatever you decide 😉 

• Like 18

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Roy, I appreciate your menu suggestions. They make me dream and even inspire me to try some things. Anything you are able to contribute is very much appreciated.

I feel the need to talk about something serious. My DW is an RN who works the night shift at our local hospital. She came home this AM completely exhausted. The hospital is overwhealmed with covid patients. The Emergency room is overflowing with no in-patient beds to put people. ALL of these are people who are not vaccinated. Please, please urge everyone you know to get vaccinated. This is really serious stuff.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

A beautiful Texas morning to our Daily-ites. Thank you Rich for your post. It's what I read now before my news feed. Figure if the world was going to end someone on the Daily would tell us..

Roy I think a new dinner listing would be fun. My vote is give it a try.

I have had the Estancia wine. It's ok. Not interested in a heavy dinner dish tonight but will print it for a cooler time.

We had a fun birthday dinner with friends. It was prime rib night and everyone had it but me. I had scallops and shrimp over Ceasar salad. I brought bundtini's from Nothing Bundt Cakes and told our waiter we'd pick the check up for the table. Well, that didn't work out. Our friend also brought her own cake, and had already called in their credit card to buy us all dinner! She told her husband it's what she wanted for her birthday gift. How sweet was that!!

image.png.f603940fc2d327f44a5efe05c1af3be8.png

image.png.b4a00ba7343a7ce6db5b7558b183203b.png

Blessings and Cheers 

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

Good morning all!

Keeping fingers crossed this morning that this post makes it onto the Daily. At one point yesterday, my post was repeated 3 times and so were those of others. It’s been quite weird.

Had to look up Hot Air Balloon mail and lo and behold the first flight left from St Louis! But it didn’t count because, although it went 809 miles (a record), it crashed short of it’s New York target and all the mail was lost. I had pictured the pilot tossing letters over the side as he floated along, but no.

I am a baby boomer, but DH is from the Silent Generation and my children are all Gen X.

A big shoutout to Thrift Stores. My church ladies have run one for over 40 years. We used to do rummage sales, but one of our members had a vision to open a year round shop.  I have worked there most of that time; our founding member worked there until she died at 95+!  Our profits support mission work in our community and in the world. We closed for awhile during Covid, but are back open. But our sorting of donations changed and we had to limit how much we’d accept, with everyone cleaning out their basements, we were inundated. We just finished our quarter sale. Twice a year we empty the shop into the gym and sell everything left for a quarter (sold 840 items the first morning). Now we are restocked. In honor of the day, I need to go post on our Facebook page! 

The meal today is a favorite and I love the wine. Prairie Fire? Kind of an uncomfortable name this summer and after reading the recipe-no thanks.

Have not been to the destination, bring on the pictures.

Prayers for the care list 🙏, it’s so long 😢. Thankfully we have the celebration list to lift our spirits 🍷

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 25

Good morning everyone!  I've been taking my time reading CC this morning because I got behind yesterday.  What a mess that was!  I wonder what they were doing to make it act up like that?

@rafinmdI wouldn't mind seeing the Crystal menus so please do if you don't mind.  Thank you for keeping our lists up to date.  There is a lot to keep track of right now.  Prayers for the many who need them and cheers for those lucky enough to have a celebration this week.  @richwmnthank you for the endless task of coming up with a Daily report.  I looked at the radar map a short time ago and see you still have a lot of storm activity coming your way.  Yesterday in the late afternoon the rain started here from Fred and we dumped 1 inch out of the rain gauge.  We got a lot of the storm during the night but nothing serious because we slept right through it.  Today there is another 1.5 inches of rain in the gauge and it's still coming down.  Hopefully no high winds coming our way.  Be safe!

We haven't been to Reunion yet.  I have no idea if I'll ever get there.  It's not included on the Grand Africa I see.  Thanks to anyone who has photos of their visit to share.  

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Roy, I appreciate your menu suggestions. They make me dream and even inspire me to try some things. Anything you are able to contribute is very much appreciated.

I feel the need to talk about something serious. My DW is an RN who works the night shift at our local hospital. She came home this AM completely exhausted. The hospital is overwhealmed with covid patients. The Emergency room is overflowing with no in-patient beds to put people. ALL of these are people who are not vaccinated. Please, please urge everyone you know to get vaccinated. This is really serious stuff.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

Jim, I couldn’t really “like” your post. My prayers for your exhausted wife and her co-workers everywhere who have been stretched to the breaking point. I know you will take good care of her.

St Louis Sal

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Took the ferry to Brainbridge Island yesterday. Being Monday many places were closed. We had a nice lunch with views of the marina. As you can see we are both happy tourist.

Dinner last night at Cinque Terre was so good we are going back tonight.

For now awaiting tour to Mount Raineer National Park. TS Fred avoided our area and went further East.

Thanks for the Daily.

image.thumb.jpeg.c62bd724192fab306ef5599efae3e7e9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75a888b6047aacd335ea081e499f0d76.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9297b974119d9b24e7509ecb9a0bbcd.jpeg

• Like 34

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Wow - air mail by balloon.  Pretty neat!  I’ll celebrate Baby Boomers day since I am one. 😉 

Not sure I care for that quote of Hesiod.  My retort if he was around.

0CDA06AA-8870-444E-A213-31F1CCBD1E74.jpeg.bd07652f1839c1934586d6b101c8ae5c.jpeg

Late posting here today (for me) as I had to get out and get all my planters watered before the heat takes over so they can get some benefit.  I still have to “bottle” my hanging baskets.

That wine is a decent one.  Quite sure it’s the same as we have had on a BHB.  I’ve been known to have a glass or two 😉 

Another very warm one today so I better keep at it before it gets too hot.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!!

7CB07EFC-42DB-4D09-8835-50229FD42AD4.thumb.jpeg.6954188ac16602d192137eae7f07ed62.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and care reports and celebrations.

We are both baby boomers.

Interesting quote although I don't think any of us men on here would be deceived by a flattering woman as we all have gorgeous wives.

We sometimes pop into the flea markets around Kissimmee Orlando when we are in Florida.

I will pass on the food and drink of the day although Pinot grigio is pleasant.

Balloon air mail would be interesting to see although I believe drones would be used today.

It is sunny now and 68°F.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20190525_183309.jpg

• Like 30

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What do you think?

Roy

Roy, add me the list of these who think seeing meals from Crystal would be interesting.  

Lenda 

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I didn't know that Balloon Air Mail had been tried, but I can understand why they thought it might work.  We love thrift shops and have been able to go to a couple regularly for the past 5 months - they only allow a few people in at a time, and there's sanitizer everywhere you turn.  Hurray for all of us Baby Boomers - we had some of the best music, although DH who is from the Silent Generation would disagree with me.  

@rafinmdI'd love to have you post some of the meals you've enjoyed on other cruise lines - if it's not too much trouble for you.

@jimgev I feel so bad for your DW; all our healthcare workers have focused their energies over the last 15 months to get people through the Covid crisis, and now the selfish ones are taking over the beds that should be available for the general public.  Grrr.

@kazu sorry to hear you've got a mosquito problem - that's one thing we haven't had this year (we've had everything else, though - wasps, yellow jackets, June bugs, grasshoppers . . .)

Yesterday when we stopped for some fast food, I reminded DH to put on his mask before going in to the restaurant.  He sounded like a little kid when he said "Nobody else is wearing a mask,"  to which I replied "Which is exactly why you should be wearing yours!"  Sheesh!

The sky here is a grey-brown from all the smoke, but it's nothing compared to our friends in Kamloops, BC.  They were under an evacuation alert yesterday and she sent this picture from their front door at 2PM; it was so dark, they had to turn the lights on inside the house.  Their vehicles were packed and ready to go if given the notice, but fortunately last night they had some rain - let's hope it keeps raining for a few days!

Kamloops.thumb.jpg.e0d9896c6b0e89ddb03199f9674c0ff0.jpg

I like today's menu suggestion, but think it will wait for a cooler day.  Tonight we're having chicken Caesar salads with chicken baked in the outdoor oven.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses tonight to cheer all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

CC was so weird yesterday. I could not get on for several hours. 😡
I think it’s mostly fixed 🤞except my “followed content” is not all there. I follow several threads but only one is listed right now. No big deal if it doesn’t come back. I’m just glad we can all post and read and “like” again. 😉😊

• Like 18

Good morning all!

We're finally seeing a cooling trend here, and even got some rain last night.  Bring on fall!  

We've donated hundreds of items to thrift shops over the years, sadly one of the nearest drop-off sites here seems to have vanished during Covid. 😞  Interesting to think of mail delivered by hot air balloon -- my first thought was it couldn't have been much slower than our mail service today. 😆 

DH and I are both baby boomers, I thought the quote was funny, and the meal delicious!  Printed that one out for future cooler nights.  I've had the wine on a BHB, it was OK.  Never been to the port of the day, thank you for any and all photos!

@rafinmdI think menus from Crystal is a good idea, I'd like to see them.

@jimgevtell your DW we all appreciate her.  I'm upset because our daughter's friend's father needs brain cancer surgery and there's no room in the hospital for him so they've delayed his surgery. This is getting beyond ridiculous.  But it seems that those who don't want to be vaccinated are stubbornly refusing to look at facts. 😞  

On a good note, my sister, who is immunocompromised, got her booster shot yesterday. 🙂  

Today will be spent getting groceries and cleaning the house.  We'll have a full house tomorrow and Thursday when DS will be visiting.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I will post just a note. I have been nursing my service dog all week and last night she crossed the bridge. I will miss her so much but she had fun while she was my service dog and allowed me to start traveling and cruising again. I just wanted you all to know why I’ve been so quiet. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

My DW is an RN who works the night shift at our local hospital. She came home this AM completely exhausted. The hospital is overwhealmed with covid patients. The Emergency room is overflowing with no in-patient beds to put people. ALL of these are people who are not vaccinated. Please, please urge everyone you know to get vaccinated. This is really serious stuff.

I feel so badly for your DW and all the health care workers.  😔   It’s so sad to see hospitals overwhelmed again when we now have a vaccine that could solve so much of this and save our hospitals and health care workers from this enormous burden.  😡 

Personally, I don’t get it.  If people had this type of reaction when the polio vaccine came out we would have never licked it 😡 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I will post just a note. I have been nursing my service dog all week and last night she crossed the bridge. I will miss her so much but she had fun while she was my service dog and allowed me to start traveling and cruising again. I just wanted you all to know why I’ve been so quiet. 

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this 💔 Prayers for her and you 🙏🏻 Losing our furbabies is so difficult but especially one as valuable as yours 😢 

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I'm so very sorry.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Linda prayers for your loss of a wonderful companion. Our Mackenzie was waiting for her at the Rainbow Bridge.  

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I'm so sorry to hear about this sad moment for you, who must have had a very close friendship, indeed, with your pet/helper.  Prayers for you and your sweet companion.

• Like 10