On Princess can you request the pad for the bed and extra blanket before embarkation?

P.A.

Or do you have to wait til onboard? I have a bad back and will definitely need the pad on the bed. It will be a long week if I have to wait til onboard and they say there are not anymore.😝😬

You could try requesting the mattress pad through their special needs department. But unless you will need to go to bed immediately on embarkation, you should be fine asking your room steward on the day. I've never heard of a ship running out of blankets.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I will try the special needs thru the app.👍

The blanket is actually when I'm sitting on the balcony. I have to have a blanket when I'm sitting. Not because I'm cold, actually just the opposite. It must be a security thing from childhood, IDK. And when sleeping I have to have a blanket and fans!! I'm bringing my fan.🤪

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You could try requesting the mattress pad through their special needs department. But unless you will need to go to bed immediately on embarkation, you should be fine asking your room steward on the day. I've never heard of a ship running out of blankets.

Just looked at the app. Where would I go to find the special needs? This app is confusing to me. Thanks

I just talked to Princess Special Needs dept. about an hour ago (3:00 pm EST).  The mattress pads are NOT available due to health/sanitation reasons (pre-covid).

I got the PCL pad for several years, but PCL eliminated them about the time they got the new & improved beds.

However, I really need the pad so I bring my own.  I've had it for 8-10 years.  It rolls into a small duffle-bag like size & goes into a heavy plastic bag that zips.  I got it at Target.  

Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

A vast improvement.  I have had beds on Princess that were like marble slabs before. 🙂

Oh yay! I did not know they were different beds. I always remember them being so firm.

4 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

I just talked to Princess Special Needs dept. about an hour ago (3:00 pm EST).  The mattress pads are NOT available due to health/sanitation reasons (pre-covid).

I got the PCL pad for several years, but PCL eliminated them about the time they got the new & improved beds.

However, I really need the pad so I bring my own.  I've had it for 8-10 years.  It rolls into a small duffle-bag like size & goes into a heavy plastic bag that zips.  I got it at Target.  

Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

Oh no!! Disappointed in that but I can certainly understand. Glad you got your own.

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I have had beds on Princess that were like marble slabs before. 🙂

I had a top bunk two weeks ago, and it was like a marble slab.  I sleep on my side and woke up regularly because of the hard bed and had to turn to the other side.  I had to get the pillow from the other bunk just to keep my head high enough because the bed didn't let my shoulder sink into it at all.  The other two on the bottom bunks said their beds were nice.

Make sure you don't have a top bunk if you want/need a soft bed -- or make sure you have a top bunk if you want a marble slab!

Edited by DuncanBlizzard

3 hours ago, P.A. said:

Oh yay! I did not know they were different beds. I always remember them being so firm.

Yes, I was thinking from your OP that you were still in the mindset of the old beds.  I don't think you are going to be needing a topper for the new beds. 

2 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I had a top bunk two weeks ago, and it was like a marble slab.  I sleep on my side and woke up regularly because of the hard bed and had to turn to the other side.  I had to get the pillow from the other bunk just to keep my head high enough because the bed didn't let my shoulder sink into it at all.  The other two on the bottom bunks said their beds were nice.

Make sure you don't have a top bunk if you want/need a soft bed -- or make sure you have a top bunk if you want a marble slab!

Hopefully next time you can have your own cabin and bed instead of the upper bunks used when 3/4 in the cabin.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, DuncanBlizzard said:

ask for extra blankets - we have done that when beds too hard, does help, obviously we slept on top of blankets. 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, P.A. said:

Thanks for the replies. I will try the special needs thru the app.👍

The blanket is actually when I'm sitting on the balcony. I have to have a blanket when I'm sitting. Not because I'm cold, actually just the opposite. It must be a security thing from childhood, IDK. And when sleeping I have to have a blanket and fans!! I'm bringing my fan.🤪

Just turn on the air conditioning. It will blow and blow.

Ask the cabin steward for what you wish. Extra blanket(s) is easy to obtain. Lower berths on almost all cabins on all ships have the Princess luxury beds. No more duvets as some other postings mentioned. Luxury beds already have a mattress topper built in. See below. There are numerous Princess sites about the luxury beds. Just search Princess cruises luxury beds. Below is one site.

The Princess Luxury Bed is available across the fleet except for Regal Princess, where most staterooms have been updated. On Regal Princess all Full Suites and Club Class staterooms have been updated and we are continuing to convert the few remaining beds.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/

I remember requesting egg crate topper years ago.  Mainly to get rid of the crack between the beds. I probably will request extra blanket or 2 just to wrap up in while on balcony Alaska late September probably gonna be cold.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, meskel503 said:

The new beds are way to soft, I always ask for a board under my side of the bed.  

When you get the board, does it cover your entire half of the bed?  My back is wrecked from a week on Holland America’s bed (the worst) and two weeks on Princess. I need a really firm bed, and am considering ordering a piece of plywood for on top the mattress, covered by the mattress pad and comforter. I think that would work. 

As for blankets, on the Majestic Princess they were limited, had to be requested from the supervisor and weren’t available until the first full day of the cruise as they had to be laundered. I slept on top of the sheets and comforter, and had only a MUTS blanket for cover the first night. 

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

When you get the board, does it cover your entire half of the bed?  My back is wrecked from a week on Holland America’s bed (the worst) and two weeks on Princess. I need a really firm bed, and am considering ordering a piece of plywood for on top the mattress, covered by the mattress pad and comforter. I think that would work. 

As for blankets, on the Majestic Princess they were limited, had to be requested from the supervisor and weren’t available until the first full day of the cruise as they had to be laundered. I slept on top of the sheets and comforter, and had only a MUTS blanket for cover the first night. 

It only covered my half of the bed as my husband can sleep on anything anywhere (retired Army).  It was placed underneath the mattress it helped some, not as firm as I would like.  But better than not having it at all.