Galveston passengers denied boarding, Covid test not back in time

rj59

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I am not sailing on Royal to Bermuda, we are on Carnival. As I understand it cruising from the States to Bermuda doesn't start again until the end of this month, so we will be watching developments to see what unfolds. From reading the Bermuda government site as long as the test is administered by an accredited lab it will be accepted, so that's promising.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation     Bermuda has some strict rules for cruise ships to enter their port.   

Viking has been sailing there this summer and Bermuda required their ship to be at 50% or less capacity.   Everyone had to apply for the Bermuda health visa at their own expense and if anyone tests positive any time during the cruise you go to a specific hotel in Bermuda to quarantine at your own expense (costs something like $350 to $500 a day + food) for 14 days or until you test negative.    

I absolutely love Bermuda and was very sad that our Royal sailing to Bermuda on a b2b was cancelled for this August.   I would be there right now.   I hate to say it, Not sure your Carnival sailing will happen to Bermuda.    

Also, Viking is testing Everyone onboard Every day!      They do the spit test, fill up a test tube every night and get the results the next morning.    Every day.    

4 hours ago, badvector said:

Yeah, we have called all around.  Our health department even does them.  Only on Monday - Thursday though and the earliest we can get it is Friday.  The urgent care centers we've spoken to will only do it if you have symptoms or have been exposed.  They won't do it for travel.

Just searched using Detroit zipcode, and there are several CVS minute clinics in the Detroit area that are doing the rapid antigen test for travel.

Try this link and put in your zip code:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Unfortunately, not al of their minute clinics do the rapid tests. The one closest to our home only does the PCR tests, so we had to go to another one about three miles down the road. The next closest one was twenty miles away.

Yes, that is true.   Not all the minute clinics part of CVS offer the rapid antigen test.    I have 3 CVS pharmacies within 15 minutes of my home and only 1 offers the antigen test.   they all offer the drive thru PCR test and time to receive results vary based on testing volume per area.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Go to CVS like everyone else said...booked our appt 2 weeks ago.  We had the rapid antigen test done yesterday...got a call in 20 min that we were negative and text messages in an hour!!  No cost too!

This was totally possible to do in my area 2 weeks ago. But now we’ve been hit hard with DELTA and an appointment is almost impossible to get (I know this for sure, because 2 weeks ago I took a rapid COVID test at CVS and had no problem getting an appointment; it was on our news last night that appointments right now are few and far between).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation     Bermuda has some strict rules for cruise ships to enter their port.   

Viking has been sailing there this summer and Bermuda required their ship to be at 50% or less capacity.   Everyone had to apply for the Bermuda health visa at their own expense and if anyone tests positive any time during the cruise you go to a specific hotel in Bermuda to quarantine at your own expense (costs something like $350 to $500 a day + food) for 14 days or until you test negative.    

I absolutely love Bermuda and was very sad that our Royal sailing to Bermuda on a b2b was cancelled for this August.   I would be there right now.   I hate to say it, Not sure your Carnival sailing will happen to Bermuda.    

Also, Viking is testing Everyone onboard Every day!      They do the spit test, fill up a test tube every night and get the results the next morning.    Every day.    

Our sailing is almost 3 months away and a lot can change between now and then. We'll be checking the requirements frequently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Just searched using Detroit zipcode, and there are several CVS minute clinics in the Detroit area that are doing the rapid antigen test for travel.

Try this link and put in your zip code:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

That's funny.  When I did it for us on the west side of the state using Grand Rapids, it said the closest locations were in Virginia.  Never even thought to try Detroit.

Thanks!

We ordered up some of the home tests from https://emed.com to have as backups.  It costs $150 for 6 tests + $15 for shipping.  This includes a Zoom call to a medical professional to make the testing valid for Royal.  We figure if we don't use them for the cruise, we can have them available for other times we might want to be sure before going into situations.  Things don't seem to be improving COVID wise so we're probably not going to be past it very soon.  We'll have to learn how to live in this world.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exm said:

Some of you might know from the AOS 8/21 topic, but my party of 6 did the eMed tests and will be using those to board tomorrow in Nassau (will probably be one of the first ones with these, I am curious if they are aware of this in Nassau). Here’s the process:

- Buy a 6-pack on eMed. We bought 2 (12) for “just in case” which was smart since one of the test kits was faulty. We have 5 left if everyone is interested (I can work out a good deal, shipping end of the month)

- After you purchase them, eMed will provide a digital doctor prescription to have the tests approved for shipment

- They will ship FedEx overnight 

- When you are ready to test, make sure to:

* download the Navica App and setup an account

* have a device like a phone positioned on the table so they can see your face and the test kit

* Do NOT open the test kit until instructed 

* Have your ID (passport?) ready

- Open a browser, log into eMed and start the test

- The proctor will walk you through the entire test and tells you when to open the test kit

- After you are done with the process, you will need to wait 15 minutes. You can move around but can’t touch the test kit.

- After 15 minutes are up, you press a button on your screen and another proctor will reconnect to validate the results 

- The result will be available immediately in the Navica App (you will also receive an email

Tomorrow after check-in I might start a different topic just for this test and my experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

1C78DA51-87D3-45CB-B12F-D0AF6C2344EF.jpeg

Thanks for the info and look forward to your post check-in report.

22 hours ago, rj59 said:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/20/royal-mess-for-some-galveston-royal-caribbean-customers-no-cruise-no-luggage-no-callback/

This is my biggest fear about sailing with the testing requirements in place--what if you don't get your test results back before the cruise? It seems RCL gave passengers without valid test results a local option, but those results too didn't get back in time for them to sail (although their luggage did get to cruise). I fear this scenario will be playing out on all the cruise lines, except for NCL, and it really seems unjust that the unvaccinated can get a quick antigen test at the pier but the vaccinated whose cruise depends on the efficiency of a pharmacy worker or overburdened lab to get results to you in time can't get a test at the pier. The other huge stressor is that if you can't cancel for FCC until 2 days before, but if your test isn't back in time, then you're left at the pier or scrambling around port cities with huge test demand now. With worries about breakthrough cases now onboard, including a death on Carnival, I'm not sure if I want to add the risks and stress of not having testing availability and results in time. 

We are currently on this cruise and it’s not quite like the news makes it out. I did hear some people were denied but also talked to some who did not read all the instructions we got and were able to find a location in Galveston to get the Rapid test that day. Cut it close but they are on the ship. We did cvs thee days befor we cruised and booked it a week prior when we heard the news of the requirement. This is all a fluid issue and you need to keep up with all the information on the RCCL site regarding individual ports. We got our results back in about 45 minutes and not all CVS do the rapid but their web site will advise you who do when you make an appointment. 

Cruise is great, no crowds, lots of deck chaired and elevators are almost always empty. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jcc1025 said:

We are currently on this cruise and it’s not quite like the news makes it out. I did hear some people were denied but also talked to some who did not read all the instructions we got and were able to find a location in Galveston to get the Rapid test that day. Cut it close but they are on the ship. We did cvs thee days befor we cruised and booked it a week prior when we heard the news of the requirement. This is all a fluid issue and you need to keep up with all the information on the RCCL site regarding individual ports. We got our results back in about 45 minutes and not all CVS do the rapid but their web site will advise you who do when you make an appointment. 

Cruise is great, no crowds, lots of deck chaired and elevators are almost always empty. 

Have a great cruise.  Thanks for the clarification.  All that boarding is stuff is behind you now and you can concentrate of ... well ... nothing really 🙂

7 hours ago, exm said:

Some of you might know from the AOS 8/21 topic, but my party of 6 did the eMed tests and will be using those to board tomorrow in Nassau (will probably be one of the first ones with these, I am curious if they are aware of this in Nassau). Here’s the process:

- Buy a 6-pack on eMed. We bought 2 (12) for “just in case” which was smart since one of the test kits was faulty. We have 5 left if everyone is interested (I can work out a good deal, shipping end of the month)

- After you purchase them, eMed will provide a digital doctor prescription to have the tests approved for shipment

* have a device like a phone positioned on the table so they can see your face and the test kit

- The proctor will walk you through the entire test and tells you when to open the test kit

- After you are done with the process, you will need to wait 15 minutes. You can move around but can’t touch the test kit.

- After 15 minutes are up, you press a button on your screen and another proctor will reconnect to validate the results 

- The result will be available immediately in the Navica App (you will also receive an email

Tomorrow after check-in I might start a different topic just for this test and my experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

So will the Bahamas accept that test for entry into the Country?  That would be a good piece of info to know.   Sounds like timing for when you can send off the spares to someone doesn't match when we need our tests or I'd have been quite interested. I plan to go for a PCR with an antigen test back-up so we don't run into issue being able to sail. 

6 minutes ago, Rancher Dave said:

So will the Bahamas accept that test for entry into the Country?  That would be a good piece of info to know.   Sounds like timing for when you can send off the spares to someone doesn't match when we need our tests or I'd have been quite interested. I plan to go for a PCR with an antigen test back-up so we don't run into issue being able to sail. 

I can’t tell you about the Bahamas, I am already here. I am guessing that they don’t accept it.

It is hard to get a rapid test right now in South Florida. I have been checking for appointments for a rapid test for our Labor Day cruise. Appointments for all of the CVS stores near or around Port Everglades are totally booked. I was able to get us an appointment at a CVS that is about 40 minutes away from the Port. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, rj59 said:

This is my biggest fear about sailing with the testing requirements in place--what if you don't get your test results back before the cruise?

If their test results were just a few hours late, couldn't they just fly to the next port and embark then?  Maybe their travel insurance would pay to help them catch up with the ship?  Not ideal, but not a total loss

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exm said:

I went to buy this, "for myself and others" but it will only let me put in three names. I would like to use it for 4 people. Is that possible or do I need to buy 2 sets of six tests? 

I wasn't stressing about this a couple of weeks ago but I am now. It's getting increasingly difficult to schedule tests, and I have to fly to my cruise. This would work well for us. 

1 hour ago, Rancher Dave said:

Matt over at Royal Caribbean Blog posted his experience taking the test; you can go there and see it among the last couple of blog posts since I can't link it here. You end up with proof of a negative result and all the necessary info. That via email as well as the App-based electronic version should be all The Bahamas needs from such a test. Should be fine. Maybe someone will give it a try soon since it all gets submitted in advance; you'd know right away if there was a problem with acceptance and could then just go to some local place to do it again.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I went to buy this, "for myself and others" but it will only let me put in three names. I would like to use it for 4 people. Is that possible or do I need to buy 2 sets of six tests? 

I wasn't stressing about this a couple of weeks ago but I am now. It's getting increasingly difficult to schedule tests, and I have to fly to my cruise. This would work well for us. 

Technically they're a prescription item and I think that's why the limitation (1, 2 or 3 names is evenly divisible into 6 tests, maybe). Optum sells 1- (sold out right now though), 2- and 3-packs. But for the price difference, I might just buy 2 6-packs. 🙂 

COVID-19 Home Tests | Optum Store

Edited by dswallow

A guest boarding Adventure of the Seas tomorrow had a little time on their hands and called the folks at the Bahamas Health Visa Travel Compliance Unit to inquire about the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test being accepted for entry to The Bahamas by vaccinated travelers. The short answer is yes it is. So here's a viable option for people to perform a quick Rapid Antigen test at relatively low cost if they cannot find a local source for such testing that is convenient for their schedule. Here's the long explanation of it all...

bahamas_binax_now_report.thumb.png.1ca26d114ab5cbe3e613319fcaca0718.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruizzing said:

Appreciate the explanation of the process. 

How did you realize it was faulty? 

Enjoy your cruise!

the test strip wasn’t aligned properly, so we couldn’t perform part of the guided testing part. The proctor agreed and they reached out to me afterwards.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, exm said:

How did you know the one pack of tests was bad? I don’t want to buy 2 packs for 2 people, but I would be concerned after reading your comment. Still not sure where or how we will get tested.

Never mind. I just saw your answer. Thanks.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Too many people getting tested is an issue everywhere..I've never seen such panic..if you don't have the symptoms of Covid, why get tested unless you need it for work or travel?  

Stepping down off soapbox, and I didn't mean to seem to single you out.  I hope you feel better.  

People are traveling, returning to school and in some cases if you aren't vaccinated you must be tested weekly for work. My wife works at an NYC hospital they are about to make getting the vaccine a condition of employment. This will cut down on the weekly testing.

• Like 3