Galveston passengers denied boarding, Covid test not back in time

rj59

11 hours ago, Lou33 said:

If their test results were just a few hours late, couldn't they just fly to the next port and embark then?  Maybe their travel insurance would pay to help them catch up with the ship?  Not ideal, but not a total loss

In a word, "No" per RCI Frequenty Asked Questions.

Q: If I'm denied boarding at the pier or arrive late, can I board the ship at the next port?

A: No, due to the specific boarding day processes required to evaluate the health of everyone onboard, we cannot have guests join the cruise downline once the sailing has embarked.

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Apparently people aren't testing because they have symptoms. How on earth can you book an appointment if you have symptoms with nothing available for 14 days out. 

I don't know how things are where you live, but here, if you have symptoms, they will get you right in, probably the same day.  

On 8/20/2021 at 6:57 AM, GalwayGirl03 said:

Go to CVS like everyone else said...booked our appt 2 weeks ago.  We had the rapid antigen test done yesterday...got a call in 20 min that we were negative and text messages in an hour!!  No cost too!

In the city where I live the CVS drugstores are not doing the rapid antigen test only the one that takes 48 hours or longer. Perhaps others are in the same situation because all CVS’s are not doing them and same with Walgreens

• Like 1

23 hours ago, orville99 said:

Just searched using Detroit zipcode, and there are several CVS minute clinics in the Detroit area that are doing the rapid antigen test for travel.

Try this link and put in your zip code:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

I did this and the closest CVS that does the rapid antigen test is in another state! 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Cvs minute clinics do the rapid test

not all of them. I checked around here (metro ATL) and not all of them have the rapid test.

Florida is overwhelmed with infections now, so they probably don't have many options available.

41 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I think the testing has skyrocketed because of the so many break through cases of those that have been vaccinated. Many vaccinated people are now testing. I think we all need to come to terms w/ the fact that the vaccinations are not what we all thought they were just even a couple of months ago. They appear to be 'wearing' off. I remember once I was vaccinated the feeling was of elation, grateful, and relieved. Now... not so much. 

Yes, My wife was one of the ones who was vaccinated in January.  She will be getting her booster shot in Sept. She continues to wear a mask.  I'm still fighting the mask idea. It would require me to wear it all day again 10 to 12 hours. I attempted it a few times but the difficulty breathing and the fogged eyeglasses just got on my nerves.  Of course if I am forced to wear it I will.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

The same day I posted this info, I got an email from RCL for me to register for my Covid test at the pier in Seattle. It said in part, "If you're vaccinated, you don't have to complete this registration for yourself. However, you may have received this email because the guest below may need to undergo boarding day testing", listing my name. That just adds to the stress and confusion and resentment, because why would I get this if unvaccinated adults aren't allowed to cruise (I'm going solo, without kids)? 

To me, they should use common sense and if someone shows up with proof of having taken a test and don't have results in time, or if they used an unapproved test, then they should be given the option to pay for a test at the pier, even if it's after every child needing to be tested has finished theirs. Otherwise, RCL will most likely lose a passenger for life every time one is left at the pier for an honest misunderstanding or the failure of a testing system, RCL loses out on the on-board and excursion revenue for the passengers, and they get negative publicity spread on news channels. I just want a plan B if something goes wrong, and I'm willing to pay extra if it gives me peace of mind, like I do with cruise insurance and flying in the day before a cruise. I just feel that going to the pier would be like visiting the cruise equivalent of the Seinfeld Soup *** ("No cruise for you!"). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not all of them. I checked around here (metro ATL) and not all of them have the rapid test.

Florida is overwhelmed with infections now, so they probably don't have many options available.

Actually rapid test appointments at CVS in Florida (at least the Orlando area) are quite plentiful 6-10 days out.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes, My wife was one of the ones who was vaccinated in January.  She will be getting her booster shot in Sept. She continues to wear a mask.  I'm still fighting the mask idea. It would require me to wear it all day again 10 to 12 hours. I attempted it a few times but the difficulty breathing and the fogged eyeglasses just got on my nerves.  Of course if I am forced to wear it I will.

Masks are as individual as bras.  There are a metric ton of designs and options for those of us with glasses.   If you are growling at foggy glasses, you can get masks with wires around the nose, spray no fog stuff (or Dawn soap) on the inside, or just tuck the mask under your glasses.

Here is my current shape/design.  I make a sleeve/tube out of 3/4" satin ribbon for a flat wire over my nose, and use adjustable ear loops.  I can't STAND the fabric on my lips, so I use a box shape and medium interfacing.  The shape curves under my chin due to 2 darts.

signal-2021-08-20-080218.thumb.jpg.9518f1c366fb3c88dc371c56765fae3c.jpg

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Just one of the reasons why we don't live in Georgia😇

I live about 30 miles east of Atlanta and there are still appts for our area from CVS for the rapid or PCR tests if you book early online.  

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I don't know how things are where you live, but here, if you have symptoms, they will get you right in, probably the same day.  

And, here in metro MN, where cases are still surging :(, you can also get in right away for a rapid test, even if not having symptoms (and you need one for work, school, or travel)

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:22 PM, exm said:

Some of you might know from the AOS 8/21 topic, but my party of 6 did the eMed tests and will be using those to board tomorrow in Nassau (will probably be one of the first ones with these, I am curious if they are aware of this in Nassau). Here’s the process:

- Buy a 6-pack on eMed. We bought 2 (12) for “just in case” which was smart since one of the test kits was faulty. We have 5 left if everyone is interested (I can work out a good deal, shipping end of the month)

- After you purchase them, eMed will provide a digital doctor prescription to have the tests approved for shipment

- They will ship FedEx overnight 

- When you are ready to test, make sure to:

* download the Navica App and setup an account

* have a device like a phone positioned on the table so they can see your face and the test kit

* Do NOT open the test kit until instructed 

* Have your ID (passport?) ready

- Open a browser, log into eMed and start the test

- The proctor will walk you through the entire test and tells you when to open the test kit

- After you are done with the process, you will need to wait 15 minutes. You can move around but can’t touch the test kit.

- After 15 minutes are up, you press a button on your screen and another proctor will reconnect to validate the results 

- The result will be available immediately in the Navica App (you will also receive an email

Tomorrow after check-in I might start a different topic just for this test and my experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

1C78DA51-87D3-45CB-B12F-D0AF6C2344EF.jpeg

@exm  I ordered a six-pack and the confirmation has a warning to not open the box when it arrives.  We have to contact eMed to activate the kit.  Is that for the entire 6-pack or each individual box?  My Dad will be traveling with me and he lives in a different state.  CVS does not offer Covid testing and not finding much for Walgreens.  A general search sends him to Urgent Care centers a half hour to well over an hour away.  He's in rural Alabama.  Will still try to find a location that performs testing, but thought this would be great for backup.  So, thought I would be able to send him a couple out of the pack to use.

Thanks for any info!

23 minutes ago, jk04 said:

@exm  I ordered a six-pack and the confirmation has a warning to not open the box when it arrives.  We have to contact eMed to activate the kit.  Is that for the entire 6-pack or each individual box?  My Dad will be traveling with me and he lives in a different state.  CVS does not offer Covid testing and not finding much for Walgreens.  A general search sends him to Urgent Care centers a half hour to well over an hour away.  He's in rural Alabama.  Will still try to find a location that performs testing, but thought this would be great for backup.  So, thought I would be able to send him a couple out of the pack to use.

Thanks for any info!

Greetings from CocoCay!

First of all, don’t open the test boxes until instructed by the proctor!

Second, the kits are not tied to a name. I know you had to get a “prescription” but when you start the test the proctor will have you “scan” the barcode on the test. One of my tests was faulty and the proctor told me to simply leave the current test, and restart the session with a new proctor and test. So he can totally use this test. In fact, my brother from Europe used the test also using his European passport! Just had to switch to the US App Store to download the App, and then switch back. So no worries and hope this helps.

It IS a perfect day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I think the testing has skyrocketed because of the so many break through cases of those that have been vaccinated. Many vaccinated people are now testing. I think we all need to come to terms w/ the fact that the vaccinations are not what we all thought they were just even a couple of months ago. They appear to be 'wearing' off. I remember once I was vaccinated the feeling was of elation, grateful, and relieved. Now... not so much. 

But if you do not have any symptoms, WHY get tested?

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

But if you do not have any symptoms, WHY get tested?

One reason is that you are have been notified or are concerned that you have been exposed to a person who has tested positive.  Therefore, while you might not be experiencing symptoms (because you've been fully vaccinated or otherwise), you might be propagating the virus to everyone you come in close contact with.  I choose to do everything I can to help stop the spread.  That would include getting tested if I had any suspicion I was exposed to the virus.  I also choose to wear a mask still when I'm not able to be socially distanced.  I have been vaccinated.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, we are diamond plus members and we will not be booking anytime soon if this is the way they handle COVID changes…. From what we’ve read the group of people did everything that they could yet royal did very little to help these people. 
do they not have test available on board for debarkation?  Shame on you!

For those sailing out of South Florida, this isn't free (actually not cheap, either), but it's a sure thing to have PCR testing done and worry free.

I've used them.  You'll definitely get the results as promised. They have the equipment in the office there.  They will also come to your hotel.

https://www.labmastersmd.com/

Edited by BNBR

38 minutes ago, New Texan said:

Well, we are diamond plus members and we will not be booking anytime soon if this is the way they handle COVID changes…. From what we’ve read the group of people did everything that they could yet royal did very little to help these people. 
do they not have test available on board for debarkation?  Shame on you!

We just got off the Allure, 08/15 - 08/22, and notice that a pop up testing site was opened in the drop off / pick up area.  They were offering the quick anti-gen tests and PCR tests with a few hours turn around time.  

On our cruise, it sounded like 200 passengers +/- were not able to board.  Of course that could be for various reasons - insurance requirements, testing documents, etc.,  but someone has figured out there is a need and supplying a service to fill it.  

Sorry in advance, but I don't know the costs for the tests or if its there in coordination with Royal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, LadyShiva said:

Masks are as individual as bras.  There are a metric ton of designs and options for those of us with glasses.   If you are growling at foggy glasses, you can get masks with wires around the nose, spray no fog stuff (or Dawn soap) on the inside, or just tuck the mask under your glasses.

Here is my current shape/design.  I make a sleeve/tube out of 3/4" satin ribbon for a flat wire over my nose, and use adjustable ear loops.  I can't STAND the fabric on my lips, so I use a box shape and medium interfacing.  The shape curves under my chin due to 2 darts.

signal-2021-08-20-080218.thumb.jpg.9518f1c366fb3c88dc371c56765fae3c.jpg

Wow!  Can I order some?!?!?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, BNBR said:

For those sailing out of South Florida, this isn't free (actually not cheap, either), but it's a sure thing to have PCR testing done and worry free.

I've used them.  You'll definitely get the results as promised. They have the equipment in the office there.  They will also come to your hotel.

https://www.labmastersmd.com/

For those prices it’s a better deal to buy the Abbott BinaxNOW tests. You get 6 for 150.00 and I was told they could be used at different times. 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjo2JBhCRARIsAFG667UGyZ7FjN8W95_ze5PqQZ2lRJ9LZqnzcND8az2CBlEoDqxjoKfrd4QaAmlREALw_wcB

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Wow!  Can I order some?!?!?

🙂I appreciate the compliment, but lemme give you a cheaper, more dependable option from a small business in Portland, OR: https://starks.com/products/face-masks/

I have bought about 20 masks from them, using the coupons to get one free if you buy so many.  Those masks have ear adjustment, nose thingies, and various colors.  They also wash well in a lingerie bag.

I personally made 5 masks this whole weekend, so I am not a dependable source... I am quite the slacker.  My family also says my masks may not be family appropriate, due to the motorcycle chicks/bikini bombshell, etc, Alexander Henry fabric I use. I like to subvert stereotypes by wearing "half naked" Betty Page types from the 50s. *shrug*  Whatever... I make unicorn fabric masks for the kid, flame and koi masks for the husband, old wood-sided pickup truck masks for the father in law, and "shocking" masks for myself.  Keeps me busy with a hobby.

Thanks for listening to me babble.  🙂  I really appreciated the compliment.

• Like 2