Telehealth Testing with BinaxNOW

1 hour ago, Junkhouse said:

How did you confirm the 1/5/22 date?  Mine has a lot date 0f 2/10/21 and expiration date of 10/5/21.  But according to information online, the expiration date has been extended to one year so mine should be good to 2/10/22.  Am I missing something?

@Junkhouse- The attached is a letter I received from eMed this morning asking if about the test being extended. 

FDA Expiration_date_extention Letter.pdf

Edited by greatestvalue
forgot to shout out the person the response was for.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Question so my just delivered kits have an expiration of 10/5/21 with a lot number of 195-100. I need to take these tests on 11/5/21. I’ve read that certain lot numbers have new expiration date but Abbott says they are 195-200. Are my $150 in tests no good?

@Sea Dog - I wasnt looking at lot numbers but had the same question about extended dates. My cruise is Dec 12.  I sent an email to eMed.  Is that who you got your tests from? 

They responded with the attached letter. I will look when I get home at the lot numbers on the 6 pack tests they just sent me and let you know what they are 

But you can email them at customersupport@emed.com as well.  The customer service has been great. 

FDA Expiration_date_extention Letter.pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greatestvalue said:

They responded with the attached letter. I will look when I get home at the lot numbers on the 6 pack tests they just sent me and let you know what they are 

I ended getting this also and looked up my lot number confirming that the date was extended 3 months covering the date I need to be tested. Thank you for your information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I finally found my lot number on this list. Basically all expiration dates are extended by 3 months.

Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%

Mine is on that list.  My question is why are there different lists?

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Question so my just delivered kits have an expiration of 10/5/21 with a lot number of 195-100. I need to take these tests on 11/5/21. I’ve read that certain lot numbers have new expiration date but Abbott says they are 195-200. Are my $150 in tests no good?

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf

• Like 2

5 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

@Junkhouse- The attached is a letter I received from eMed this morning asking if about the test being extended. 

Thanks for the information.  I didn't find my lot because my number does not have an alpha character after the lot number.  This is a bunch of doodoo.  From previous information I thought the test would be good until Feb 10, 2022. We were planning to use for a couple of cruises with the first one being in Oct '21 and the last the end of Jan '22.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Thanks for the information.  I didn't find my lot because my number does not have an alpha character after the lot number.  This is a bunch of doodoo.  From previous information I thought the test would be good until Feb 10, 2022. We were planning to use for a couple of cruises with the first one being in Oct '21 and the last the end of Jan '22.  

Mine will be good for our first January cruise but only just... we will need to test on its expiration date. I don't know how the new two day requirement will affect our side to side since we get of one on Friday and on the second on Sunday.   If the allow us to test on Friday we should be fine but I am not sure if that will work during debarkation.

6 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Hi Junkhouse. My lot number for these tests received also does not have an Alpha charactere after it. I emailed Customer Service with a photo and am awaiting a reply. If it is not extended, I will be returning them for a refund as I need the the last week in October. Will let you know what their reply is.

8 hours ago, bren61 said:

Can I do my husband & I's test on my tablet?  I only have a tracphone w/ no internet, so was wondering if I can download the app on my tablet & we both do our test under different accounts but on the same device?

Yes….

• Like 2

As near as I can figure the first Abbott tests had an original expiration 6 months from the date of manufacture.  As that date approached they did a study and determined they were good beyond the 6 months.  They applied with the FDA and received authorization to extend the expiration by 6 months for a total of 12 months from date of manufacture.  

eMed and Optum reference this FDA authorization to extend the validity date to 12 months.  Some people see this and assume it's extended BY 12 months.  It is not, it is extended TO 12 months from the date of manufacture.

That was great months ago but fast forward several months and the next wave of Abbott tests were manufactured with an original expiration of 8 months from the date of manufacture.  Abbott submitted and received authorization to extend these by 3 months for a total of 11 months.  

The problem is that eMed continues to use supply the QR code that points to the 12 month approval letter when they ship tests that only get a 3 month extension.  

If a test had an original expiration period of 6 months it was approved for 12 months.

If a test had an original expiration of 8 months it was approved for an additional 3 months.

There are multiple letters from Abbott out there with different sets of lot numbers.  

I found mine on this list:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ginnynj said:

Wow, this is all so confusing isn’t it? 
I also received the 6 tests that have an expiration date of 10-5-21, so I’m assuming they’re good until 1-5-21 same as others.  Although, as others, our test kit doesn’t have a letter after the lot number.

I also see I can do it on my iPad which is the easiest for us as we have the NAVICA app on that as well as the phone. 

Question - when I  do the test on the app from my IPad,  will the QR code work on my phone so I can show that at checkin for the cruise? I know some of you have already done it so hoping you can answer that last question for me. Thanks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Wow, this is all so confusing isn’t it? 
I also received the 6 tests that have an expiration date of 10-5-21, so I’m assuming they’re good until 1-5-21 same as others.  Although, as others, our test kit doesn’t have a letter after the lot number.

I also see I can do it on my iPad which is the easiest for us as we have the NAVICA app on that as well as the phone. 

Question - when I  do the test on the app from my IPad,  will the QR code work on my phone so I can show that at checkin for the cruise? I know some of you have already done it so hoping you can answer that last question for me. Thanks.

Print out your test results, and show the printout(s) at the port.  You don't have to fiddle with any device or email or screenshots that way.  🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, JaneStarr said:

I think the problem is that the original Expiration date was supposed to be 9 mos from manufacture — so 11/5/21 from 2/5/21, but they somehow marked them with 10/5/21 exp dates (only 8 mos out) and then added a 3 mo extension to that incorrect date.  

I plan to ask the Exp date when we take our tests for the 10/30 cruise, and see what date shows up for the NAVICA tester.

I didn’t bother writing to eMed. My email was to Abbott. I’ll report back what I’m told

Quoting myself to put all the info in one spot. I finally got a reply from Abbott. I don’t really like it, but here is the explanation of why kit expires before the full year from manufacture date.

«The expiration date extension is 1/8/2022. This expiration date is for all the test components in the kit. Not all lots are a part of the 12 month extension. »

No idea why the exp date they gave me is the 8th of the month rather than the 5th, but that doesn’t help me for my early Feb cruise. I will be able to use these kits for our Oct cruise and have already done a successful test run with two of the kits yesterday.

Attached (hopefully) are screenshots of my email communication with Abbott.

I also found a cruise-relevant reason for testing available when doing the test yesterday. I believe it might be newly added.

« Royal Caribbean » was available in the drop down box. I wonder if that means they are planning on directly sharing the results at some point with the cruiseline.

Jane

370B9110-4036-4EA0-BFB7-640FF0022CE0.png

06695780-85F5-4D90-83FD-E7016C83314E.png

DF91FF3D-03D4-402F-AC51-2A6C9E57F61A.jpeg

Edited by JaneStarr
Adding info
  • Like 3

Everything I've read on this said the original expiration was 9 months, then extended by 3 months. Kits I've seen for sale on cruise line sites even show an image of a box that says "extended by 3 months".

For anyone wanting to do this on computer vs cell phone (as I always do, I don't like allowing too much sensitive info on my cell) -- the eMed technical requirements page says (for Windows) you must use a Chrome or Edge browser. I don't have either of those on my laptop. For me, Opera browser (current/updated version) is always the best for emulating Chrome. FireFox might or might not work. Just FYI for anybody who runs into that little hiccup.

Edited by Moonarino

8 minutes ago, floridababa said:

When I  ordered my 3 kits for myself and my husband, there was no place could I add his name. Someone said that as long as we both register with the company it will be fine. 

Not a problem. Just create an account for each of you and do your tests individually. 

Super easy. Wife and I did this last week Saturday about 10AM CST.

We waited about 2 minutes for a representative to connect and walk/watch us thru test.

We than waited about 15 min to reconnect to an agent so they could see out negative results.

We were emailed results in about 5 minutes and it appeared on NAVICA app 10 minutes later.

Highly recommend this method.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For those in the DC area, the local libraries are giving away ( limit of two per person) the test accepted by RCI. The ones we got have an expiration of 12/28. Seems like Abbott is really dumping their stock of these before they expire. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For those in the DC area, the local libraries are giving away ( limit of two per person) the test accepted by RCI. The ones we got have an expiration of 12/28. Seems like Abbott is really dumping their stock of these before they expire. 

Cincinnati/Hamilton County Ohio libraries doing the same. Limit 12