The Daily for Monday August 30, 2021

richwmn

Just now, dfish said:

Congratulations on your upsell as well!   When I saw it come up I yelled, "YES!"   We're going to surprise Donna with it.  We've been telling her how cramped the rooms are and how we need to be careful when we step over each other.  LOL

OMG that is such a great surprise!  You guys will have such a wonderful time together with all the munchies and big deck to see beautiful Alaska.  And fancy coffees close at hand.  Yippee!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

OMG that is such a great surprise!  You guys will have such a wonderful time together with all the munchies and big deck to see beautiful Alaska.  And fancy coffees close at hand.  Yippee!

Check email.  

• Like 4

@Norseh2o I am hopeful that Wil is safely out of harms way by now.

2 of my county's career firefighters are part of a regional team dispatched to give relief in Louisiana.  They have been sent to Gulf Shores, I think one of the most devastated and isolated areas.  One of the team (not our guys) has also tested positive for Covid.  Wishing them safety both from Ida and from Covid.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, dfish said:

This is probably a mistake, but I just snagged an aft wrap suite for our Alaska cruise.  This is a first time experience in a suite and probably a last.   I hope we don't get too used to it.  I'll have to start buying lottery tickets.   

We're excited!

I don't think it's a mistake at all.  Sometimes, we have to treat ourselves.  We deserve it.

I've already warned my husband that after we get through this pandemic, we may end up treating ourselves to suites more often.  There's something special about feeling so pampered.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, dfish said:

This is probably a mistake, but I just snagged an aft wrap suite for our Alaska cruise.  This is a first time experience in a suite and probably a last.   I hope we don't get too used to it.  I'll have to start buying lottery tickets.   

We're excited!

I wouldn’t be so sure about last, they’re quite addictive.  Enjoy!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, NextOne said:

Sorry to be late to the party today - no particular reason, but the day just slipped away...

Interesting collection of days! I discovered Whispering Angel several years ago and it's very good! I knew it had hit the big time earlier this year when I was reading a murder mystery and the author had the guests at the fatal wedding drinking bottles and bottles of Whispering Angel!

Adding my prayers for those in Ida's path. After Katrina I spent eight years going down to Nola one week a year to help with rebuilding. Sad that some of those same families may have to go through that again.

Here's a smile for you:

dogsteak.jpeg

👍The Guest by Lucy Foley had many twists and turns....loved the setting ( off the coast of Ireland ) of this thriller! 😉

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Norseh2o I am hopeful that Wil is safely out of harms way by now.

2 of my county's career firefighters are part of a regional team dispatched to give relief in Louisiana.  They have been sent to Gulf Shores, I think one of the most devastated and isolated areas.  One of the team (not our guys) has also tested positive for Covid.  Wishing them safety both from Ida and from Covid.

Roy

Oh, Roy...it's hard to even absorb all the things going on right now.  This might sound harsh, but my mother died in February of 2020 and I count it as God's blessing that she died without seeing all the chaos in the world that mostly began just after her death.  Same with my sister, who passed away a couple years before.  She was delicate and couldn't really handle a lot of stress.  I'm glad both of them are in a more peaceful place.

Sorry.  Too much information.  But very tough times we are experiencing and many heroes are emerging who need our recognition. Thank you for your post. 

• Like 17

Thanks for all of the prayers, wishes and kind comments for our nephew & grandchild.  My sister reported that the returning 82nd team will be greeted with care packages, barrack decorations & family notes/love when their mission is finished. She is grateful. 
In honor of National Beach Day, DH and I decided that we would take the big sisters to our “crab shack” on Whidbey Island. Such fun to have little hands helping make pbj and ham sandwiches,  decided which fruit is best, do we include pretzels, can we stop at Dairy Queen for dessert. 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

You certainly deserve to treat yourselves after the past 18 months.  I’m thrilled that you took the upgrade.  Corner aft cabins are never a mistake.  Enjoy and the next time we sail together we can each grab a corner, one port one starboard!😂

You're going to force me to buy those lottery tickets aren't you?

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations.   I think many people cancelled with the new protocol on board as there were quite a few open suites on this sailing.  I rarely get upsell offers and even more rarely accept them.   But this seemed like the right time and the right price.   We will definitely enjoy the suite.   We're saving up for the Grand South America when my sister retires, so we can't splurge every cruise.  Just this one to celebrate being back on the ocean.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We are doing the same, first Neptune Suite in 3 weeks.  I'll be watching for photos, Debbie @dfish😀

I guess we've started a trend here.  Thank goodness it is better than the appliance curse.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Monday to all Dailyites!  It is so good to be back on CC to post again.  I will be trying to read all past days to catch up.  Prayers for those affected by Ida, Afghanistan and our military, and for all on the care list, especially for good results for Sam.

The Nieuw Amsterdam was wonderful, and of course, Alaska is breathtaking, as usual.  Really enjoyed my time on a BHB.  The staff was wonderful, as usual.  Personally, for me, I wasn't thrilled with the food, but it was still better than cooking for myself and eating alone.  I really learned one thing on this cruise.  Long excursions aren't for this old lady anymore.  Two different days of 5+ hours just about did me in.  Getting home was a nightmare, thanks to plane problems in Seattle, but that is a part of travel that has to be expected.  Arrived home at 12:10 am Sunday!

Got my laundry done, mail sorted, and bills paid, so guess I am ready to get back into things with Red Cross.  Several new, small fires in the state.  If asked, I will help with hurricane response, if I can do it remotely.

Have a great day, everyone.  I look forward to getting caught up on a week of Daily posts.  Thanks to all who contribute, and make this such a wonderful place.

Agree with you about the food. I was on the 8/14 sailing and I wasn't thrilled with the food, either.  Exact same menu each day for lunch in the MDR.  And many repeats of starters and mains in the MDR for dinner.  No lobster anymore on Gala night.  Hoping it is just for the start up cruises and things will get back to normal. 

• Like 5

Good evening. 
Been a busy day here with a lot of emails back and forth with our TA about our Sept. Eurodam cruise.  We now have a room assignment and boarding pass!  Still hoping it is a go!  
Beach add marshmallows go hand in hand here.  
Hope Sam is doing well, Carol.  
Thank you for the lists, posts and positive messages. 
Prayers to all including those in the path Ida.  Cheers to everyone else. 
Stay well and safe. 

🤗

• Like 8

12 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. 😊

Both the North and South islands of New Zealand are beautiful and if we were able to travel, we would love returning and driving around.😉

🤔How do you pronounce Whangarei? Fang-a-ray or Wang-a-ray.

🙏Prayers to all in need. Stay safe!😷

Katie

Northland_map.gif

FB_IMG_1630330569361.jpg

Whangarei was pronounced Wong- a -ray, but now the Maori pronunciation of Fang- a- Ray is used.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the daily news, humour and photos.

@dfish Congratulations, enjoy the sweet suite life, have a great cruise.

@cruzn single welcome home.

Whangarei has an Oil terminal at Marsden Point, would be very surprised if any cruise ships call there.

By road, Whangarei is approximately 70 KM from Paihia, ..........a straight line would be approx 53 Km.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone.

Sam left here by ambulance yesterday afternoon. He had chest pain and pain down his arm. The medics asked me to give him 4 baby aspirin to chew as they were on the way. The hospital did blood work, a CAT scan of his chest and an EKG. Everything was normal. They moved him to a room for observation and might do a stress test this AM. If everything is normal, he will come home. Once again, my kids stepped up. I don’t know what I would do without them.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Oh Carol! After all you’ve been through already! Hoping that all is normal and he comes home.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

This might sound harsh, but my mother died in February of 2020 and I count it as God's blessing that she died without seeing all the chaos in the world that mostly began just after her death.  Same with my sister, who passed away a couple years before.  She was delicate and couldn't really handle a lot of stress.  I'm glad both of them are in a more peaceful place.

It’s not harsh. My sister and I have talked several times about how relieved we are that neither of our parents were here for the whole COVID experience. They were safely out of the whole mess and on to a better place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily news, humour and photos.

@dfish Congratulations, enjoy the sweet suite life, have a great cruise.

@cruzn single welcome home.

Whangarei has an Oil terminal at Marsden Point, would be very surprised if any cruise ships call there.

By road, Whangarei is approximately 70 KM from Paihia, ..........a straight line would be approx 53 Km.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

I was thinking the port visited by cruise ships was Waitangi.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Whangārei/Waitangi-Northland-New-Zealand

I think both of us were actually looking at Waitangi.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3