Pre-Embarkation Testing

lakemurraykid

I'm just plain confused since the pre-embarkation testing has changed from 3 days to 2.  I am flying in the day before we sail.  So I'm assuming I would need to have my test done on Thursday but how will I be able to get my results before I fly out at 8 a.m. Friday morning?  I'm assuming this means I would have to have a rapid test done.  Am I correct in my assumption? Duh, I forgot to mention this cruise is on November 20, 2021.  Who knows, by then it may not be a worry.

Edited by lakemurraykid
Had to add something.

26 minutes ago, Mainecoonmama said:

I'm just plain confused since the pre-embarkation testing has changed from 3 days to 2.  I am flying in the day before we sail.  So I'm assuming I would need to have my test done on Thursday but how will I be able to get my results before I fly out at 8 a.m. Friday morning?  I'm assuming this means I would have to have a rapid test done.  Am I correct in my assumption? Duh, I forgot to mention this cruise is on November 20, 2021.  Who knows, by then it may not be a worry.

Where did you see that?

I just received this from Princess 

FF04D9AE-1FC8-4EEB-B076-5A02A1A5D246.jpeg

On 8/28/2021 at 2:55 PM, traceytd said:

This was posted on Saturday about the CDC changing testing from 3 to 2 days prior to boarding. However as LaCruiser88 wrote that has not yet been changed on the Princess CruiseHealth FAQs but since they’ve followed other CDC mandates I’d expect them to do it again.

Here’s another thread discussing this change:

I posted this in the other thread. 

think this topic was a false alarm. The CDC website that Princess references dated August 20, 2021 says "People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

The CDC Operations Manual says "Viral (NAAT or antigen) no more than 2 days before boarding† or viral test on embarkation day."

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#table-0

I think that language was added on May 14, 2021.

It would be nice if someone could show where it said 3 days before August 27.

Edited by billco

1 hour ago, Mainecoonmama said:

That is on the CDC website for the 2 days. Princess has not changed.  

• Thanks 1

Appointments. Just FYI we were able to get tested at Carbon Health at San Jose airport as a walk in when no appointments were available. This was in June prior to Hawaii trip. So don't give up just because no appointments are available.

It all depends on where you are flying to and from. If you fly from US to say UK, you need a test no more than 72 hrs prior to check in at the airport. The airline will demand it! 

If you are referring to the ship, if your test result does not come back in time than you will be given one at the pier. Just in case I suggest you have the proof that you took the test even if the results did not come back.

Hope this helps.

47 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

It all depends on where you are flying to and from. If you fly from US to say UK, you need a test no more than 72 hrs prior to check in at the airport. The airline will demand it! 

If you are referring to the ship, if your test result does not come back in time than you will be given one at the pier. Just in case I suggest you have the proof that you took the test even if the results did not come back.

Hope this helps.

Are you referring to cruises out of the UK? Princess hasn't started cruising from Florida yet, but they have been pretty clear about you MUST show up with your negative test result. The only people they are checking at the port are the unvaccinated - and even they must have a negative test 3 days before and then get tested again before boarding. 

8 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Carnival is updating their testing to 2 days so I am sure it will bleed over to the

other Carnival lines.  Be Ready

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

I was just about to post the same thing about Carnival changing their testing requirement to 2 days prior to sailing as of September 13th.  Princess will no doubt follow.  I did find this passage interesting on the Carnival webpage:

Mobile Testing

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Are you referring to cruises out of the UK? Princess hasn't started cruising from Florida yet, but they have been pretty clear about you MUST show up with your negative test result. The only people they are checking at the port are the unvaccinated - and even they must have a negative test 3 days before and then get tested again before boarding. 

We are cruising from UK to Ft.Lauderdale in Nov. We have been told by Princess that rapid tests will be available on the pier at no charge when boarding. Those that have to fly straight from the ship in Florida will get a free test as they leave in Ft.Lauderdale. That those ( like us) who drive home do not need a test on disembarking the ship. Of course this could change again in a heartbeat!!!!

P.S. We live about 1 hr from you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

As of September 19th Princess is following Carnival regarding testing 2 days prior to disembarking AND they are also working to have a mobile testing lab at the port.  Details are here:  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

2 days prior to embarkation rather then3 days?

15 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

As of September 19th Princess is following Carnival regarding testing 2 days prior to disembarking AND they are also working to have a mobile testing lab at the port.  Details are here:  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

do you mean two days prior to embarking?

The statement below appears to be saying that the testing requirement is only for cruises leaving through October 31, 2021 at this point in time:

Health Protocols for Cruises through 2021

For cruises through December 31, 2021, guests must have the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination

PLUS, for cruises through October 31, 2021, in addition to the above, guests must also:

• Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Be required to wear a face mask in certain areas

Or am I reading this wrong? This statement is headed by "Updated September 2, 2021" and is for sailings from the US.