Advantages/disadvantages to aft verandahs

poinsettiaplate

For the first time, I am considering booking an aft verandah on either the Nieuw Statendam or the Koningsdam.  Have their been issues with ash or particulates landing on these and making them unusable?  

What are the advantages and disadvantages to aft verandahs in general?

I apologize if this has already been covered in an old discussion; please let me know where to look.

DW and I are in the minority of not being big fans of aft cabins/verandahs.  On many ships we have often experienced an uncomfortable "shimmy" at the aft of the ship that is likely caused by the movement of the props and cavitation (we would leave this issue to the Engineer's among us).  While DW and I have spent several years on ships (as passengers) and rarely get seasick, we just do not like that feeling we get when at the aft of many ships.   As to the ash issue, we have also experienced that with aft cabins although that has not been a deal breaker for us.  

As to the advantages, I guess some folks enjoy that aft view.  On the other hand, others of us prefer to look at where we are going on not focus on things past :).  And since we are talking about HAL it should also be mentioned that an aft cabin means you have a very long walk from the bow area.  On a line where many need the aid of walkers and canes, this should not be minimized.

Hank

• Like 2

I've enjoyed aft staterooms three times...I'm in the group that loves them.  Love watching the wake, and the fact that the breezes are limited means it's easier to spend time back there without things blowing around.

I find they are usually a bit longer so a little more space.  Hubby and I like that they are often more shaded which makes them easier to use regardless of the weather.  

We've not had issues with any soot or particles.

• Like 5

If you can get a aft stateroom, I would do it.  There can be a little more motion back there if the seas are rough.  There is some vibration usually when coming into a port when the ship has to maneuver getting into the dock, etc.  Stay away from the higher deck under the pool.  The deck chairs get dragged around in the evening and very early in the morning.  Otherwise, I would go for it.  I don't find walking to the elevators a problem, but I have no mobility issues.  

• Like 1

We are in the group that anti-aft.  OK, we have only had one and that was on Koningsdam.  We found the shimmy unsettling and the sound of the stern wash was intrusive sometimes at night.

Soot was present, but not bothersome.  We wouldn't be in a rush to book another aft.

• Like 2

We had one once- thankfully on a short cruise. I’m not one to feel seasickness, but I felt really queezy in the room. On the balcony I was fine, but indoors in the cabin, yuck!  I felt both the side to side rocking of the ship, as well as some ups and downs. Plus, I prefer to look where I’m going and not where I’ve been. 

Worth a try, because now I know it’s not for me. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information and insights.

My idea to get an aft cabin was to have a wider expanse of glass to the outdoors, a larger balcony and possibly a larger cabin -- than in a standard verandah cabin.  Those areas of the newer ships seem much smaller. 

What would be the next cabin category up that might provide the wider and larger I was looking for?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer.

We’ve sailed in an aft veranda on the Eurodam, the Konigsdam, and the Zuiderdam. Transatlantic on the Zuiderdam, RT SanDiego to Hawaii on the Eurodam, and 7day Caribbean on the Konigsdam. We’ve had them on deck 8, and 2 on deck 7. Loved them all and have a transatlantic in an aft veranda on Nieuw Statendam next year on deck 5. We have experienced a little vibration at times, no ash ever, and only first night out from San Diego was it very rough. Main dining and lido an elevator ride away. Main stage is a good walk away but need a good walk after dinner anyway!😜

Edited by jayhawk66
  • Like 1

As a hobby photographer, an aft stateroom is my ideal location for many reasons:

• Scenery on both sides of the ship are visible without leaving the stateroom to go to the other side of the ship. 
  • No railings competition to get photos on the public decks.  Great location to see Alaska and the Panama Canal.
  • With no wind, you can be on your balcony while the ship is moving.  This is especially an issue in Alaska in cooler temps and greater wind chill factors.
  • Very little foot traffic in the hallway.
  • Since an aft stateroom is a short elevator ride up from Room Service, food stays hot and arrives much quicker than for those near the front of the ship.
  • Short elevator ride up to the buffet for quick snacks or down to the Main Dining Room.
  • The sound of the ship's wake creates a soothing sleep environment.
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, JohnDG said:

Can anybody comment on reports of a bright ring of blue light at night on the veranda affecting deck 8 aft on either the Nieuw Statendam or the Koningsdam?

jdg

While there are lights around the railings on Deck 9, there are light -blocking balcony curtains that make outside light irrelevant.  You can bring a few clothes pins to ensure full closure or use the clips on a pants hanger from the closet to perform the same function.

Edited by Crew News

8 minutes ago, MogeyMan said:

Hated it. Couldn't sleep for what I described as "pull & shake, pull & shake" all night. And spouse compared the view to watching thru the window of a washing machine, but less interesting.

Do you recall which deck and ship? Thanks for your comment 

..anyone can feel free to back me up here, and I may be a little daft at times, but we prefer this cabin type. Once you try aft, you will always go back. If I am in arrears come final payment time, I am always able to get back on track. It may be backward logic, but, looking from behind always makes me feel like I have been there. I try not to get too stern about anyone who does not like to be Aft.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

we love the afts and, budget permitting, that is our first choice.   We have not been bothered by soot, and the movement of the ship has never been bad the 5 or 6 times we have sailed aft balcony   We like that it is more quiet and that if you are on your balcony, all you see is the sea.  For those with ambulatory issues, it is a long walk to get anywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

..anyone can feel free to back me up here, and I may be a little daft at times, but we prefer this cabin type. Once you try aft, you will always go back. If I am in arrears come final payment time, I am always able to get back on track. It may be backward logic, but, looking from behind always makes me feel like I have been there. I try not to get too stern about anyone who does not like to be Aft.

Cute - like a few others though - we’ve tried the aft and won’t be back 😉 

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed my one and (so far but hopefully not) only Aft balcony.  It was to Alaska in the Eurodam.  I did feel slight shimmy once or twice, but not noticeable... and to answer the question of ash, hardly noticed any at all.  Loved it for the wake and many of the other reasons Crew News mentioned as well!

• Like 1

Aft facing staterooms are either love it or hate it, I don't think I have met anyone who is in between, and you probably will not know until you try one.

We just tried it for the first time last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were in the Neptune Suite corner aft-wrap on deck 8 and it was fantastic. If we just had the back facing portion it would have still been great. We really enjoyed sitting on the balcony during sail aways and watching the port just fade off into the distance. We could hear noise above when we were on the balcony but never heard chairs or anything else from inside.

As others have noted there is a lot more motion at the back of the ship and you can feel the up and down when at sea. We don't get motion sick so it really didn't bother us except for one night when we were in more rough seas. I had no trouble sleeping but my mom did wake up a couple times.

The balcony has more noise as you can hear the wake. I posted the below video on my live from thread while we were at sea which gives a bit of an idea of the noise. We could not hear that inside, but the ship does seem to creak and shimmy more. You are also at the back of the ship. I did not mind walking farther to the front, but for some this may be an issue. You are also a very short elevator ride from the Lido or the MDR.

If you are really noise or motion sensitive I wouldn't recommend trying, but otherwise I think the aft view is worth experiencing at least once.

• Like 2

I had an aft-facing cabin on the Oosterdam, deck 5, during a Med cruise. I had read these were very deep balconies that were mostly covered so they could be enjoyed during inclement weather. I was so looking forward to my enormous balcony!

While I was protected from the rain and the direct sun, I felt like I was in a deep cave whenever I was out on it. I had to be standing right at the edge to enjoy the wake or see anything. I couldn't really enjoy sitting in the chair because I felt so cut off from everything in my deep cave.

Plus, as others pointed out, it can be quite a hike to pop back to the cabin for something.

23 hours ago, zgscl said:

Aft facing staterooms are either love it or hate it, I don't think I have met anyone who is in between, and you probably will not know until you try one.

I'm an in-betweener.  I've had aft rooms 2, maybe 3 times.  I do like the view, the sound of the prop wash, and the occasional shimmy.  What I don't like is the distance to get there and the soot.  If it's a tiered stern, I don't like neighbors above being able to see down in to my balcony.  They're not my first pick, but also not my last.

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

Put me down in the "love aft cabins" column.  

I appreciate the fact that I'm on a ship in the ocean, and am happy to be reminded of that by the motion and the rhythmic creaking as the ship moves through the water, and I love being rocked to sleep.  I find the sight and sound of the prop wash soothing and maybe a little hypnotic.  If I'm being more practical and less romantic, I also like being out of the wind.

My countdown says 192 days until I get to reaffirm all of this!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I'm an in-betweener.  I've had aft rooms 2, maybe 3 times.  I do like the view, the sound of the prop wash, and the occasional shimmy.  What I don't like is the distance to get there and the soot.  If it's a tiered stern, I don't like neighbors above being able to see down in to my balcony.  They're not my first pick, but also not my last.

On Nieuw Amsterdam/Eurodam deck 8 has great privacy. Not sure on the Vista/Pinnacle class ships. I think the lower balconies wouldn’t have been as good. I could see the railing but not much else. 
I did notice the distance from things a few times, but for dinner it was great.