No more open bar in the Diamond Lounge

beachump

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've had better liquor in the before times using a voucher at a bar, but DL never had upgraded booze in my experience 

Well... they made something very close to chocolate, apple or some other martinis for example. It wasn't on the list. 🙂 In some DL bartenders just went outside to the bars to get it.

I didn't have any overages for my drinks on Odyssey, at least none that weren't desired like that $17 glass of wine that cost me $3 plus gratuity.

I was with a group of friends who had the drink package as well as being Diamond or above.  On one or two occasions when I had used up my CAS drinks they got me a CAS drink from their card since they hadn't used any (since they had the DX).  No bartenders or wait staff had an issue with this, they immediately understood they weren't trying to share their DX rather share their CAS drinks and it wasn't a problem.

On the 6 night cruise I spent about $80 for drinks including gratuity beyond my CAS drinks.  With that I basically drank like I had a DX never wanting for another.   It makes for a way cheaper approach than buying the DX and I always had the brands I prefer, not like the old happy hour menu.

I did bring a large number of singles for tipping.  I often tipped $2 because I figure they've been out of work for a long time and with reduced capacity there are fewer guests so less tippers on board. If I'm getting a shipload of free drinks the least I can do is tip well.  

Let's put it this way... I drank way more than I'll ever admit to my doctor.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've had better liquor in the before times using a voucher at a bar, but DL never had upgraded booze in my experience 

Agree, I remember before they had the lounges, just the event in a bar like the dungeon, and the only thing available was cheap wine and a discount on a mixed drink.  With the weird nut mix and not hold cold snacks.  I believe it was called the nightly Diamond event.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Well... they made something very close to chocolate, apple or some other martinis for example. It wasn't on the list. 🙂 In some DL bartenders just went outside to the bars to get it.

Chocolate martini is made with Bailey's and chocolate syrup

Espresso martini is made with coffee from the machine.

Can't recall having an apple one before, but I do recall having a peach one. It was a specialty of the staff. But in no case was upgraded liquors used. They just didn't get it stocked in the past. 

FWIW, the list is/was merely the available ingredients.😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Agree, I remember before they had the lounges, just the event in a bar like the dungeon, and the only thing available was cheap wine and a discount on a mixed drink.  With the weird nut mix and not hold cold snacks.  I believe it was called the nightly Diamond event.

Wow, you are old😉

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, beachump said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/03/how-royal-caribbeans-free-drink-vouchers-diamond-and-higher-members-works

But you can use your card there.

That was the only perk I chose RCL for to spend all my time and money acquiring that "loyalty" level.

You get 4 drinks each day.  If you prefer, use them all between 5-8  for cheap alcohol/wine and you'll find no difference, unless you drank more than 4 drinks during the  HH.  Or, space them out and use them when ever you want for any drink up tp $13.  ALL day/every day/even at Coco Cay.

M

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

18% of $13 is $2.34

I assumed the gratuity was included with the vouchers and C&A was covering it.  It always said "$.00" on our account for the drinks we got with the vouchers.  So, when we tipped $1 or $2 extra we assumed this was extra just like when we got free drinks in the Diamond Club.

Of course, this means we're really getting a $15.34 value if we order $13 drinks and that makes it even more valuable.

18 minutes ago, tserface said:

I assumed the gratuity was included with the vouchers and C&A was covering it.  It always said "$.00" on our account for the drinks we got with the vouchers.  So, when we tipped $1 or $2 extra we assumed this was extra just like when we got free drinks in the Diamond Club.

Of course, this means we're really getting a $15.34 value if we order $13 drinks and that makes it even more valuable.

Due to a lack of tipping culture, Royal adds gratuities to the base price in UK

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, George C said:

I normally bring a hundred in singles also another hundred in small tips always tip in diamond, concierge or suite lounge, we also tip on top of drink package, tips are definitely appreciated by the hard working staff.

I do the same.  I've always paid a couple $ per drink and often extra at the end to special servers.  I just always believed this was "extra" tip, not that I wasn't tipping enough.  I thought Royal was paying the people to work in the Diamond Club and other lounges.  I didn't know they were relying on tips for the "free" drinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Lots of staff around the world get payed a livible wage and tipping is rude . Just saying equal pay and a livible wage should be the issue.😇 🇭🇲

https://www.annieandre.com/countries-where-you-dont-need-to-tip/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, beachump said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/03/how-royal-caribbeans-free-drink-vouchers-diamond-and-higher-members-works

But you can use your card there.

That was the only perk I chose RCL for to spend all my time and money acquiring that "loyalty" level.

You spent all your time cruising with Royal just to have free drinks from a limited menu, in a lounge that is over crowded and sometimes without windows, between the hours of 5pm-8pm?

Wow... very interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Free drinks and lounge etc are not a deal breaker for me but there is a point that seems to have been overlooked. It's probably worth noting here that D+ used to have complimentary drinks in the Diamond Lounge and /or the Concierge Lounge every evening 5:30 - 8:30, and 3 drinks credited to their card daily. Whilst I'm happy with old and new arrangements, the latter remains a temporary loss of benefit which if you like benefits / perks, then it's probably important.

We recently sailed on the Anthem and the Diamond Lounge was mostly empty.  Very different to pre-Covid times.  I am Diamond so 4 Drink Vouchers on the Card.  Although it's Ok being able to use the Vouchers at any time and almost any Bar, I found on a couple of occasions Bar Tenders took too many Vouchers off by mistake.  We then had to call Guest Services to rectify this.  In the middle of your Evening, this was a nuisance.  I think the Open Bar was a massive draw for so many people to reach Diamond Status.  We actually met some people who had cancelled future Cruises with Royal because of the Changes!  We used to like using our 3 Vouchers for Water and Soft Drinks and would have a Couple of Drinks in the Diamond Lounge or Schooner Bar before Dinner.  It's a shame that this wonderful Perk has gone.  The new System is working for some and not for others.

18 minutes ago, MJDMV said:

Free drinks and lounge etc are not a deal breaker for me but there is a point that seems to have been overlooked. It's probably worth noting here that D+ used to have complimentary drinks in the Diamond Lounge and /or the Concierge Lounge every evening 5:30 - 8:30, and 3 drinks credited to their card daily. Whilst I'm happy with old and new arrangements, the latter remains a temporary loss of benefit which if you like benefits / perks, then it's probably important.

but the 3 credits were also only during those same hour and from that same limited menu.  They were not the same as the credits now which can be used on any cocktail and at any time of day.  Those were essentially "diamond lounge drinks" during daimond hours, but you could drink them outside the lounge so as to sit with lower status friends, etc. 

The new drink system allows for virtually any cocktail or drink and can be used at any time of day and in any venue.  MUCH more valuable IMO.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

With all due respect, I feel you are mischaracterising the Brits. We do tip here but not were we perceived someone is just doing the job they are paid to do and nothing extra.

For example, if I buy a coffee in Starbucks would I tip no. I just see that as a single interaction nothing special. If I go to a restaurant and have a meal requiring the server to make repeated trips to serve me over a 90 minute meal, of course we would tip. Also we tip typically about 10%.  

People in the UK service sector ❤  American tourists because they will receive tips for things which most other nations would not tip for. Just because we do not do things in the same way that Americans do, does not make us mean.

As for Royal adding tips into ex UK sailings. Well you have the clash of two cultures. Crew for whom, tips are an important part of their renumeration and British guests who have a very different cultural  approach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

With all due respect, I feel you are mischaracterising the Brits. We do tip here but not were we perceived someone is just doing the job they are paid to do and nothing extra.

For example, if I buy a coffee in Starbucks would I tip no. I just see that as a single interaction nothing special. If I go to a restaurant and have a meal requiring the server to make repeated trips to serve me over a 90 minute meal, of course we would tip. Also we tip typically about 10%.  

People in the UK service sector ❤  American tourists because they will receive tips for things which most other nations would not tip for. Just because we do not do things in the same way that Americans do, does not make us mean.

As for Royal adding tips into ex UK sailings. Well you have the clash of two cultures. Crew for whom, tips are an important part of their renumeration and British guests who have a very different cultural  approach. 

I agree, on cruises we always prepay the suggested tips and give additional tips to our room attendant and dinning room waiters. I also tip a couple of dollars for Diamond drinks, both in the DL and other bars. 

I don't though tip on top of paid for drinks as I consider 18% enough 

Outside cruising I only tip in restaurants,  hairdressers, beauty saloon and taxis. The normal rate is 10 to 15%

I do though tip more in America or Canada, when in Rome......

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

I didn't read the comment about the British lack of tipping culture as insulting Britian.  As you say here, it is a difference in cultures.  I think many Brits sailing on cruises, especially ships based in the UK, would not necessarily realize the payscale on the ships is not like they are used to at home and tips really are necessary and expected...Thus, becuase it IS a different culture and to avoid misunderstandings which ultimately harm the crew, the tips are added in.  Makes sense to me.  I mean, better would be for the US culture to evolve and start paying fare wages both on and off ships, but.....

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Lots of staff around the world get payed a livible wage and tipping is rude . Just saying equal pay and a livible wage should be the issue.😇 🇭🇲

https://www.annieandre.com/countries-where-you-dont-need-to-tip/

What is a livable wage?  Here in New York minimum wage is $15 dollars an hour for non food service work. Waiters make below that hourly wage and rely on tips. Even at $15 an hour you couldn't sustain yourself unless you were living at home with your parents or had government assistance.  On the other hand that $15 may go a long way in another state or a third world country with lower taxes and lower cost of living.  We don't have a federal minimum wage. The wage varies state to state.  Every time I read posts like this I wonder to myself if I should leave the states and take a job as a waiter in one of countries that pays so well.

Edited by Iamcruzin