experience cruising during pandemic

gizmos girl

My mid-September Edge cruise was outstanding...less than 900 passengers with 1000 crew...no lines anywhere...no masks (except in St. Thomas...their rule, not Celebrity's).  

I sail on Reflection in three weeks.  While I don't expect such a low # of passengers, I am looking forward to another wonderful cruise!  Even with the possibility of having to wear a mask onboard and possible port changes, it will be great to be back onboard.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gizmos girl said:

I we scheduled to cruise early January on the Celebrity Equinox.  Just wondering how others have experienced cruising during the pandemic.

We were on the Equinox in August and the Reflection in November.    Not one complaint about anything.   Check-in process was a breeze and not having to go to an actual muster drill was wonderful.   There weren't as many passengers which gave everyone lots of room.   I would not hesitate to go again at all.   

Yes, check out the threads others have been posting while on board.  Many positive comments.  

We were on one of the first Edge cruises early July, fantastic cruise, great cruise, I think they changed some rules later but we didn’t have to wear masks at all after we got on the ship . We also did a move up to the penthouse suite and we’re treated as royalty.

I'm so happy reading about your experiences during the pandemic. I just booked a 10 day on the Equinox for next December. 2nd time on the Equinox and very excited.

Edited by deliver42
wrong month. April, 2023

Cruised the Edge in the Caribbean for 2 weeks this summer. (last week of July/1st wk Aug)

It was GLORIOUS.

1/2 full ship.

We did not need a COVID test b4 the 1st one, but I did have to take one at the end of the 1st one since I was doing B2B. We had 8 cases on our cruise (3 were contract workers), so they were going to try to test EVERYONE boarding the next day...but announced this at 4:30 on Friday b4 a Saturday embarkation. Needless to say the 3rd party was not prepared for this & ultimately only a few were tested who were new passengers. We had no cases on that cruise. 

Masks were optional everywhere on the ship at that time.

Our Summit cruise at the end of September was amazing!

Our Constellation cruise in November was miserable. It was an epic bleeeeeeep show. It changed our opinion of Celebrity. It changed our views on cruising with Celebrity in the future. Had it been our first cruise ever, regardless of cruise line, we would never get on a ship again. It made us understand people who hate cruising and why they would hate cruising.

We cancelled our December Millenium cruise. Should have a FCC to use before the end of 2022

We are booked on Edge at the end of this month. This sailing (if it happens) and whatever sailing we chose to use the FCC on by the end of 2022 will be our last cruise with Celebrity - for awhile. We are going to spend our time and travel dollars giving another line or two a try.

We have sailed again on Celebrity yet, not until February.   But we cruised Greek isles on NCL in October, HAL in November and Oceania in December.

NCL had to follow the EU rules which required testing prior to boarding, full vaccines, masks on the ship if  you weren’t eating/ drinking, limits in the elevators, distancing in the dining room.  The ship was maybe 50% full, so it was easy to social distance.  In the evening in the lounges, people spread out and many removed their masks. We had a great time.

HAL was from Florida.  We all had to be fully vaccinated, had two tests prior to boarding and masks were optional.  The cruise was about 60% full and as far as we know no one got sick. The cruise was fine.  We just no longer enjoy the food on HAL so it will probably be our last HAL cruise for a long time.

Oceania was interesting.  We had to be vaccinated and do the tests.  But we think the cruise was at least 80% full, and the specialty restaurants, which are full every night, did not have any discernible social distancing.  We felt they pushed the limits on safe cruising if you compare to the other line we took. (Just our opinion. And we are not wilting lilies, we traveled all through Covid… lots of road trips to half-empty beach resorts…we have never gotten it yet). Cruise itself was fine, we continued to have changes to our itinerary right up to the second day on the ship.  

My take is if someone has  any concerns about cruising with Covid they probably should just stay home for now. Maybe for another 6 months…Otherwise, you can have a great time cruising if you are flexible to changes in itineraries.

10 hours ago, little britain said:

Cruising is safer than going to Tescos imho. At least I know everyone on the ship is jabbed. Unlike Tesco’s. 

You believe this? At least in Tesco the vast majority will be wearing masks and only passing momentarily in the aisles rather than on a cruise ship where in the case of Celebrity it currently appears no one is wearing masks other than crew, and you can be seated for extended periods close to many others in lounges, restaurants, theatres etc.

I was talking last night to someone who works for an international health and toxicology company in the in vitro diagnostics industry. Their expectation is that the mild Omicron strain will be followed by a particularly severe aggressive mutation. I hope he is wrong.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, gizmos girl said:

I we scheduled to cruise early January on the Celebrity Equinox.  Just wondering how others have experienced cruising during the pandemic.

My two cruises were very positive experiences - on the Summit in September and on the Regal Princess a month ago.  It's a different time now with a different experience.  I'm not sure if I could have as good a time now as I did then.  Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

11 hours ago, RollWave said:

Our Constellation cruise in November was miserable. It was an epic bleeeeeeep show. It changed our opinion of Celebrity. It changed our views on cruising with Celebrity in the future. Had it been our first cruise ever, regardless of cruise line, we would never get on a ship again. It made us understand people who hate cruising and why they would hate cruising.

Oh boy, I'll have to go through your posts to see what made it such a circus.  Not now but later.  Thanks for sharing.

I have been on several cruises since the restart. All were prior to Omicron, but the first one was right as Delta was becoming a thing. I will say that cruising since the restart has been the best cruising I've experienced. The reduced capacity has made for an amazing level of service and attention from the staff, less crowded venues, no lines, and good pricing. It's been fantastic and I have shouted from the rooftops that anyone who CAN sail right now SHOULD sail right now.

As for safety, I have definitely felt safe on every sailing so far. With adults all being vaccinated (very few children on the sailings I've been on) and everyone testing beforehand, I have felt far safer than out in the real world where you don't know anyone's vaccination status.

We have an upcoming sailing on the Equinox in January and my only worry is being turned away from ports. I have no worries about COVID exposure on the ship. In the county where I live, the positivity rate is 13%. The "huge" outbreaks on ships that I've heard of so far have been at most 50 cases on a ship that holds 5000+ passenger and crew. That's 1%. Clearly I am far safer on a cruise ship right now than I am having dinner at a crowded restaurant in my home town.

• Like 4

On the Reflection now and there are positive cases being reported everyday; not many, but more with each day on the ship (I think about 8-10 now). There are 1700 people on board, more kids/teens than usual, who for the most part do not wear masks ,and before yesterday's CDC announcement I would say only about 10-20% overall wearing masks - and there were big crowds with no distancing in the bars, atrium, etc. Now it's more like 80% wearing masks and the atrium and bar areas have been very quiet the past few nights. 

We were apprehensive about coming on board but then said if we're here, we are going to enjoy ourselves and that's what we have done. At first, we wore our masks inside walking through the hallways, in the elevators and then we became lax. Since yesterday, we have them back on and it's not impacting our enjoyment whatsoever. It's all about your comfort level and to a degree "risk" taking and hopefully thinking of others as well. Don't think there is a wrong choice - its yours and important to be comfortable with whatever it is. Know it's not an easy decision and we probably would not have gone had the CDC made that announcement a week ago, but we are very glad we did sail and look forward to coming back the end of March. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:25 AM, cruisestitch said:

There are literally a dozen reports from people who have cruised since the restart. Many are on board Celebrity ships now. Take some time to read all their reviews and their comments and you’ll see how it is Cruising these days.

This may have been valid prior to the new strain which is rampid now. Postings since Xmas are totally different. Other Cruise Lines are canceling shows, etc. 

This may not apply to Celebrity Ships, but it is really sounding very poor.

8 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Agree, but, in reading these posts, nothing will change their mind.

Reasons to cruise are easy to justify --- " It's my body, my choice " attitude.

Seams like there are many Fox News viewers cruising these days.

Bonne chance a tous--- Good luck to everyone.

Now whether you cruise or not is he political choice?  We are Fox viewers who just came off

the Equinox on 12/22 and will NOT cruise again in the near future.  This was  a cruise that

was booked with FCC's or we would not have gone.  While we did not have to wear masks, all the crew did and among other things felt that Celebrity has really "lowered the bar".  This being said after 28 cruises with Celebrity.  

Just now, runnerswife said:

This was  a cruise that

was booked with FCC's or we would not have gone. 

felt that Celebrity has really "lowered the bar".  

While I'm not familiar with how FCC's are being handled these days, perhaps they would have extended the " Expiry Date " for you ? 

"felt that Celebrity has really "lowered the bar".  Not surprised by that because there are lots of passengers that just don't care --- until , you know what happens.

We have been on so many Celebrity cruises --  always a great time-- miss cruising very much -- just can't take a chance right now. 

• Like 1