Mask question

snorkle lover

On Mariner right now, it us either wash hands or use sanitizer. Actually, they no longer have a ‘sanitizer enforcer’ at the entrance to La Veranda, as part of general cutbacks due to low passenger counts.

And yes, the buffet is self serve. As I understand it, in terms of Covid, this is preferable to staff serving, since the crew has less exposure to passengers.

2 hours ago, fizzy said:

Until an example is made to passengers regarding refusal to follow rules....no matter what they are.... by disembarkation or confinement, it appears that some will always do as they please with no consequences.  

I've not long since watched one of those U.S. cruise vloggers as he recalled the recent cruise he was on (Royal Caribbean...) where a newly embarked passenger was having a stand up argument with a member of staff refusing to wear a mask now he was on board, threatening the staff member and insisting there was nothing they could do about it if he refused -  he was told in no uncertain terms that failure to comply would result in him being put ashore - especially now as they hadn't left port yet!

The rules are plain enough, you have a choice comply or stay at home -- personally its a compromise I'm willing to make to get away for a break and the more whinging moaners that stay at home the better.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrlevin said:

20 days and I ate in La Verandah every morning and never used the sinks; I always used hand sanitizer and was always allowed in.  Ate at La Verandah a number of times for lunch and never used the sinks.  Ate at Sette Mari six times and never used the sinks.  

YMMV

I think this was a new thing at the start of our cruise.  There was a person stationed there, and she would not let you pass until the hands had been washed, even if you had just used the hand sanitizer.  George thought it was ridiculous and tried all manner of ways to get around it, but they were really strict. 

13 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I think this was a new thing at the start of our cruise.  There was a person stationed there, and she would not let you pass until the hands had been washed, even if you had just used the hand sanitizer.  George thought it was ridiculous and tried all manner of ways to get around it, but they were really strict. 

The mask and hand cleaning issues have been discussed ad nauseam in these forums.   I don't care for some of the protocols but if I go I fully intend to comply with the rules.  Unfortunately there are a few entitled people who feel they are above the rules and need strict supervision.  If people go on a cruise (knowing the rules) and after a couple warnings refuse to comply they should get their A$$ booted off the ship.

That is all.  Good night.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Person was stationed there on cruises previous to yours.  I think using the sanitizer was a lot more effective than the cursory washing that was done at the sink.

I find all of this concern about hand washing and hand sanitizers interesting.  It is made to sound like this is something new.  Regent had this same protocol on the Mariner on a 2018 cruise I was on.  Admittedly not as strictly enforced in those days, but there nevertheless.  Have also been to many "resorts" where staff would be stationed outside of restrooms with hand sanitizer for those coming out of the restrooms.  Let's all try to be respectful of one another and let's all enjoy our upcoming cruises.

• Like 1

Covid or no Covid, why is it an issue that everyone should clean their hands before their meal … especially when we are sharing utensils? Even my naughty and stubborn 3 year old grandson cooperates with this basic of hygiene!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Covid or no Covid, why is it an issue that everyone should clean their hands before their meal … especially when we are sharing utensils? Even my naughty and stubborn 3 year old grandson cooperates with this basic of hygiene!

I don’t have any problem using hand sanitizer upon entry to the dining venue.   The ironic thing is in surgery, we don’t scrub anymore.  We use super strong alcohol hand sanitizer and that is it.

• Like 1

Actually, I seem to recall that the CDC found, after more than initial experience, that this virus is seldom spread by surface contact. Instead, it is more airborne. Thus, the emphasis on masking , which at least decreases the range of the spread. But hand sanitizer use or hand washing before meals is what all should do. Covid isn’t the only disease out there.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 2:22 PM, cruiseluv said:

Not happy about that requirement of washing my hands in that sink! Isn’t hand sanitizer enough?? 

Actually no. I volunteer at a hospital with patient contact and hand washing done properly is ALWAYS preferred to sanitizer. Sanitizer should only be used when hand washing is not available. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, firedragoncruisers said:

Actually no. I volunteer at a hospital with patient contact and hand washing done properly is ALWAYS preferred to sanitizer. Sanitizer should only be used when hand washing is not available. 

You are absolutely correct. I’m a retired chef, certified in food safety, and a proper hand washing is best. After cruising over the holidays and watching way too many people enter the dining venues without any form of cleaning their hands, I will settle for the hand sanitizer. 

1 hour ago, sassyw said:

We are on the Splendor right now and almost evestone is obeying the mask rules. All staff are allowed to remind passengers who forgot to comply and I don't see anyone arguing.

Great to hear; thanks for the update. We board on Thursday and nice to hear that everyone helps remind those that have forgotten. 

8 hours ago, kjbacon said:

You are absolutely correct. I’m a retired chef, certified in food safety, and a proper hand washing is best. After cruising over the holidays and watching way too many people enter the dining venues without any form of cleaning their hands, I will settle for the hand sanitizer. 

I guess the emphasis should be on "proper" hand washing.  We all know the drill, thorough washing, with soap, for 20 seconds.  I'm betting that's not what's going on outside the dining rooms a lot of the time.  In which case, hand sanitizers perhaps are preferable.

And yes, the hand thing is somewhat "pandemic theatre" at this point, as Richard has pointed out, but never goes amiss in preventing the spread of all kinds of other viruses and germs.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 3

Your thoughts and post might be of more interest on the Oceania board.

My guess is that policies and procedures were posted and that you could have canceled if they were not acceptable to you.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, leave said:

We just got off the Oceania Riveria 2 weeks ago and MASKS were REQUIRED and they treated us like children. Everyone had to be vaccinated, show proof, get tested before being allowed onboard and then had to be tested AGAIN before entering the port of Barbados.  Even outside at the Waves Grill, we were "scolded" to put our mask on (unless you were eating or drinking). In the theaters, they would walk around to check our mask was ON and announcement made that if you saw your friend or someone not wearing a mask that you should alert the staff and security would be called.  

This is NOT how we want to cruise and spend our money  cruising.  

We have 2 back to back cruises booked and are thinking of cancelling both unless the mask mandate is lifted.  Unfortunately, we are working off our cruise credit from previous cancelled cruise and cannot get a refund.

Oceania is NOT our favorite cruise line nor (in our opinion) as upscale as everyone thinks.  

We are scheduled for our first Oceania cruise, on the Riviera, in March. This is great news that the mask mandate is being enforce. Why have a mandate and not enforce it!

• Like 4

About the hand sanitizing — NCL has had on their mass market ships washy washy girls standing at the entrance of all restaurants and coming back onto the ship for years. Prevents norvovirus. Personally I’m squimish of anyone who rejects doing so. 

• Like 2

Just received this. Face coverings are no longer required as from March 1 (but still highly recommended)

For voyages beginning on or after March 1, 2022, the following health and safety protocols will go into effect.

1)    Our voyages will operate with 100% fully vaccinated guests and crew, therefore, face coverings are highly recommended but not required for guests on board, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing, which may result in face coverings being required for guests. 

2)    Regent Seven Seas Cruises will require that all guests arrive at the embarkation terminal with a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a third-party verified laboratory or pharmacy, taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises.  All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation in a digital or printed format.  Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark for the voyage. 

Test result documentation must be provided in English and must include the following information:

·          Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

·          Your date of birth

·          The result of the test

·          The date the test sample was collected

·          The name of the test provider 

·          Confirmation of the type of test provided 

Should guests require assistance finding a COVID-19 testing location prior to departing home or while traveling, please click here to visit Test for Travel, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or Antigen.  

Additionally, we have partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, online testing for our guests from the convenience of your own home. Inspire Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services that provides FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests.  For more information on Inspire Diagnostics please click here.

Please refer to the chart below for guidance on the earliest day you should test based on the cruise embarkation day and country of embarkation.

Covid test taken no earlier than
Cruise Embark Day
Cruise originates in U.S. port
Cruise originates in non-U.S. port
Sunday
Friday
Thursday
Monday
Saturday
Friday
Tuesday 
Sunday
Saturday
Wednesday
Monday
Sunday
Thursday
Tuesday
Monday
Friday 
Wednesday
Tuesday
Saturday 
Thursday
Wednesday

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will continue to evaluate and modify health and safety protocols as the public health environment evolves and we will communicate any changes.   We will be back in touch approximately 30 days prior to your cruise embarkation date to provide additional updates.  In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us using the numbers below. Our commitment is to offer you the safest and most enjoyable cruise possible — we are here to help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmalux said:

Just received this. Face coverings are no longer required as from March 1 (but still highly recommended)

For voyages beginning on or after March 1, 2022, the following health and safety protocols will go into effect.

1)    Our voyages will operate with 100% fully vaccinated guests and crew, therefore, face coverings are highly recommended but not required for guests on board, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing, which may result in face coverings being required for guests. 

2)    Regent Seven Seas Cruises will require that all guests arrive at the embarkation terminal with a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a third-party verified laboratory or pharmacy, taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises.  All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation in a digital or printed format.  Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark for the voyage. 

Test result documentation must be provided in English and must include the following information:

·          Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

·          Your date of birth

·          The result of the test

·          The date the test sample was collected

·          The name of the test provider 

·          Confirmation of the type of test provided 

Should guests require assistance finding a COVID-19 testing location prior to departing home or while traveling, please click here to visit Test for Travel, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or Antigen.  

Additionally, we have partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, online testing for our guests from the convenience of your own home. Inspire Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services that provides FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests.  For more information on Inspire Diagnostics please click here.

Please refer to the chart below for guidance on the earliest day you should test based on the cruise embarkation day and country of embarkation.

Covid test taken no earlier than
Cruise Embark Day
Cruise originates in U.S. port
Cruise originates in non-U.S. port
Sunday
Friday
Thursday
Monday
Saturday
Friday
Tuesday 
Sunday
Saturday
Wednesday
Monday
Sunday
Thursday
Tuesday
Monday
Friday 
Wednesday
Tuesday
Saturday 
Thursday
Wednesday

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will continue to evaluate and modify health and safety protocols as the public health environment evolves and we will communicate any changes.   We will be back in touch approximately 30 days prior to your cruise embarkation date to provide additional updates.  In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us using the numbers below. Our commitment is to offer you the safest and most enjoyable cruise possible — we are here to help.

No longer required by Regent...but still required if mandated by the country the ship is visiting.

• Like 1