Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

2 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

We made it to our hotel, but no real lockdown/quarantine just honest system I guess.

they gathered all of us early and my wife counted over 100 of us. Saw a port person from customs I suppose took a picture of the crowd.

if we had under 1600 onboard and 100 sick sent off then that’s a pretty high percentage.

As we were walking down aloha we heard someone call out from their state room the they were staying on for Hawaii…is that allowed? Maybe after their 5 days in quarantine they can go back on deck.

im feeling a little better today.

I found from others that they were able to order food and drink from the app. This wasn’t available to us as our room was registered to another passenger and they couldn’t fix it. Medallion has a way to go yet, still lots of bugs in it.

I hope the cdc does a real investigation.

we never went thru customs or even had to show a passport, they just whisked us thru to the curb.. so smugglers take note;)

and are new cruisers boarding yet ??

15 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

We made it to our hotel, but no real lockdown/quarantine just honest system I guess.

they gathered all of us early and my wife counted over 100 of us. Saw a port person from customs I suppose took a picture of the crowd.

if we had under 1600 onboard and 100 sick sent off then that’s a pretty high percentage.

As we were walking down aloha we heard someone call out from their state room the they were staying on for Hawaii…is that allowed? Maybe after their 5 days in quarantine they can go back on deck.

I found from others that they were able to order food and drink from the app. This wasn’t available to us as our room was registered to another passenger and they couldn’t fix it. Medallion has a way to go yet, still lots of bugs in it.

we never went thru customs or even had to show a passport, they just whisked us thru to the curb.. so smugglers take note;)

glad to hear you are feeling better. Sorry you had to get ill, especially on a vacation. My son currently has covid and even though he is vaxxed and boostered, it’s been a tough week for him. 

you just have seen 100 people but I wonder how many were actually positive. There must have been some that got off with their travel companions that weren’t actually positive. Numbers are not my strong suit but if it’s 100, isn’t that 6.25% of passengers? 

Hope you recover quickly and get home safely. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

So how long do you have to stay in your hotel room before you test negative for cOVID again or is that not the procedure? Are you free to roam the hotel or is somebody monitoring you? Sounds as if you were taken to the hotel ,but no real instructions or?  Do you get to wander about and have food in the restaurants at the hotel or is everything brought to you? Well I do hope  you and your traveling partner test negative soon or carry out your prescribed time period. I’m glad you’re feeling better as you posted .

Edited by arizonaperson
Oops

18 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

That's consistent with reports from the Emerald Princess. Those who tested positive on the current segment are given the option to disembark or remain in quarantine on next segment until they test negative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

So how long do you have to stay in your hotel room before you test negative for cOVID again or is that not the procedure? Are you free to roam the hotel or is somebody monitoring you? Sounds as if you were taken to the hotel ,but no real instructions or?  Do you get to wander about and have food in the restaurants at the hotel or is everything brought to you? Well I do hope  you and your wife/traveling partner test negative soon or carry out your prescribed time period. I’m glad you’re feeling better as you posted .

5 days until 4/1/22

Based on the loose quarantine ( I thought we would be in an isolated wing where there was oversight, but just a regular room on diff floors with no cdc), we may not get tested again at all.

we will just do our time and update here about the process/ experience.

on a sad note. 
they gave us obc that was non refundable, but no way to spend it. Our apps couldn’t buy stuff after our cabin changed.

my wife called about buying the pictures that were taken by us, but it didn’t happen. No option for buying a future cruise deposit either, so unless they come back and tell us they will comp us a future cruise, we will be done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m not sure what further proof you need that the sky is blue and the grass green.  Whether or not outbreak is the correct word can be debated, but there has definitely been an elevated number of COVID cases on board the Ruby Princess. The captain’s letter states as much.  I don’t think anyone has claimed that the news needed to be notified. 

Thank you for all your travel reports along the way. I’ve been reading since you boarded and it was the first thing I checked every morning. 
We would have booked the previous cruise, but our anniversary was on this one.

28 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

So how long do you have to stay in your hotel room before you test negative for cOVID again or is that not the procedure? Are you free to roam the hotel or is somebody monitoring you? Sounds as if you were taken to the hotel ,but no real instructions or?  Do you get to wander about and have food in the restaurants at the hotel or is everything brought to you? Well I do hope  you and your traveling partner test negative soon or carry out your prescribed time period. I’m glad you’re feeling better as you posted .

I hope they don't wander the hotel or eat in the restaurants.  They have COVID!!!  Not smart to knowingly do things that will pass it on to others. 😱

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Numbers are not my strong suit but if it’s 100, isn’t that 6.25% of passengers? 

Yes which to an area experiencing 1.4% that's HUGE!! Wow 😱 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cvpends said:

No trouble disembarking Ruby today.  It was a fantastic 30 days and we will take tests when we get home in a few minutes just to be safe.

BARTed home and self tested.  My husband is positive and I am negative (so far.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 3/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, Optotronics said:

I think this is a big one.

just went to use the bathroom in our quarantine cabin and lifted the toilet led to find it full of diarea, it did flush though.

very disgusting. 

Have heard of this happening on other ships also now and again.  How often, if ever, does the sewer/septic system on the ship back up?  I know there are quite a few technical folks that might be able to provide some data?

Cheers

21 minutes ago, cvpends said:

BARTed home and self tested.  My husband is positive and I am negative (so far.)

Oh no ... sounds like your husband is asymptotic or have mild symptoms, though.  If he hadn't tested, would he have known he had contracted it?  Stay well.  

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Good Lord, it's next to nothing!  Let's say the population of SF is 1,000,000 so 1.4% of that is 14,000.  With the addition of 100 'new' sick people we now have 14,100 or, in terms of a percentage of the population of SF, a skyrocket ride to 1.41%.  It's a little bit of noise in the overall numbers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Well, maybe not really, though.  It's likely that people don't tend to test as often and if they do and are positive, it may just be with one of those little home kits that were sent out and it doesn't get reported anyway.  I know that the only time I've taken a CoVid test is to get on a cruise. 

One point I would make that I'm not even sure is still on the Princess website, take an extra couple of weeks of your prescription medication onboard any cruise.  We also live nearby the port so would likely be able to talk someone in our family to get us a ride home, but I certainly wouldn't count on being able to find a way back home if we lived in the middle of the country.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Good Lord, it's next to nothing!  Let's say the population of SF is 1,000,000 so 1.4% of that is 14,000.  With the addition of 100 'new' sick people we now have 14,100 or, in terms of a percentage of the population of SF, a skyrocket ride to 1.41%.  It's a little bit of noise in the overall numbers.

Granted but on the ship it was 6.25%. And yes we had to mask up at the Philharmonic Friday even though we're at 1.4%

Anyway, sounds huge to me

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Actually, the right comparison is this. SF has a population of 1 million, with 85 cases/day. Compare that to the situation on the Ruby with just 1600 pax and at least 100 cases during the voyage.

As the CDC has said, cruising can be a high risk situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I am sorry to hear this!  Is your husband experiencing any symptoms?  I hope you remain COVID free.

He feels like he has a cold.  He started having some congestion yesterday.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Please list the cases cruise lines lost in court?

You do know that the cruise lines settle most of their cases out of court and NDA's are always signed by both parties.  There are plenty of public cases where multi-million dollar awards were issued against cruise lines by juries for things that happened on their ships.  Justice always prevails. 

• Like 1

I am staying onboard the Ruby for final leg of B2B2B with my husband.  There were 120 cases of Covid on the ship this morning when we arrived in San Francisco.  My husband has Covid and is in isolation on Deck 12.  I could not join him.  I have been going to medical every morning to test and will continue to do so for a total of 5 days as long as I stay negative.  I can go anywhere on the ship as long as I wear my KN95 mask but must eat in my room only to remove my mask until my 5 days are up.

Last night was very stressful for those in quarantine to be able to place their dinner order as the dine line phone rang for over 2 hours with no one answering.  I called guest services twice to complain as my husband was texting me about being on hold for so long.  Finally at 9 pm I called guest services a 2nd time and got rude with them and demanded they do something to get food to my diabetic husband before they had an emergency on their hands.  They had me text him to hang up and someone called him to take his order and by 9:30 he finally got dinner.

The reason people for this:  when the mask mandate came back people panicked.  Everyone decided they wanted room service dinner yesterday and that overwhelmed them.  Also when the letter came out that the numbers were up people who had brought test kits with them started using them and asystemic people found put they had covid and 911 was overwhelmed with calls for hours.

Some people think Princess should keep passengers updated daily to the number of cases onboard.  Imagine the panic if they did......just my opinion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13

2 hours ago, Optotronics said:

We made it to our hotel  

How was the transportation there?

A crowded van or bus?

Or some method so that non-infected traveling companions were not exposed to a number of those who were infected?

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Numbers are not my strong suit but if it’s 100, isn’t that 6.25% of passengers? 

And that does not include those who were asymptomatic and those infected who tested when they reached home.

1 hour ago, cvpends said:

• Like 1