Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

8 minutes ago, FritzG said:

We were on the Enchanted from 2/28 - 3/20, and there was a big change in elevator etiquette on the second cruise.  On the 2/28 people were respecting the 6 people limit on the elevator although not everyone wore a mask.  On the 3/10 cruise in most cases the elevators were back to "squeeze as many in as you can".  If we wanted to see anyone in a mask DH and I had to look at each other.  We got out of several elevators as others squeezed in.  There was even an announcement and reminder of elevator etiquette on the Wake Show, but it didn't make much difference.   DH can't climb stairs so that wasn't an option.  I commented on the 6 people limit, and I got several snotty replies.  The only thing I kept saying it that I want to keep cruising, and I'll follow the rules to make that possible.

A couple of times in January, DW & I got out of the elevator if anybody entered it.  Made going from one deck to another a bit longer but it beat being sent to the Covid ward.  Fortunately, it was a lightly booked cruise and we were mostly using the stern elevator bank, so it didn't happen too often.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, FritzG said:

There was even an announcement and reminder of elevator etiquette on the Wake Show, but it didn't make much difference

People just don't care about other people anymore.  We did the same and would get off if others without masks entered or too many people.  Or if an elevator stopped that was full or unmasked, we would say we would get the next.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FritzG said:

On the 3/10 cruise in most cases the elevators were back to "squeeze as many in as you can".  If we wanted to see anyone in a mask DH and I had to look at each other.  The only thing I kept saying it that I want to keep cruising, and I'll follow the rules to make that possible.

We were on that cruise too but in our elevator experience most people were wearing masks, especially when they saw us wearing them.  The elevators also weren't as crowded as I expected but that may be because we were using the forward elevators and never once used the center ones.  I think it also helped that when going/coming from dinner we were a group of 6 and that 'filled' the elevator.  People even said they would wait for the next one.

10 minutes ago, Level six said:

People just don't care about other people anymore.  We did the same and would get off if others without masks entered or too many people.  Or if an elevator stopped that was full or unmasked, we would say we would get the next.  

Coming from New York, I've lived most of my life taking elevators and it always went smoothly.  It wasn't until my first cruise where I experienced a total lack of elevator etiquette.  Sometimes you can't even get off on your deck because of the crush of people trying to be the first to get into the elevator.  It still hasn't changed.  For some reason many people on cruise ships don't know how to wait for and enter an elevator and I don't see this being an issue in on shore society.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Joy_K said:

We will find out tomorrow, day 5 for him.  If he is still positive then he stays with me until his day 10 but 2 negatives - tomorrow and next day-  we think he will move back IF he wants to get off in Hawaii.  My day 6 is last port day so I will miss most if not all of the ports.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.  Hope your husband is able to exit quarantine soon.

And thanks for your updates during this difficult time for you.  It has been very informative about the COVID processes at Princess.

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Coming from New York, I've lived most of my life taking elevators and it always went smoothly.  It wasn't until my first cruise where I experienced a total lack of elevator etiquette.  Sometimes you can't even get off on your deck because of the crush of people trying to be the first to get into the elevator.  It still hasn't changed.  For some reason many people on cruise ships don't know how to wait for and enter an elevator and I don't see this being an issue in on shore society.

I'm always amazed by people who try to cram into the elevator without waiting for others to get out. We tend to stand back and wait so that anybody leaving the elevator can do so. Then, if it's not cram packed with people, we will enter. If there are a lot of people it makes no sense to get in and make everybody squish up. Now that my wife has had both knees fixed we are hoping to be able to go back to using the stairs more often. When we first started cruising we used the stairs a lot. On one cruise - 17 days through the Panama Canal - I actually lost 5 lbs. and I attribute some of that to use of the stairs.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

That is correct, my dad got covid on Jan 28th, and March 17th his PCR test came back positive.   We got a note from the doctor showing he had recovered from covid.   The antigen test does not show up positive, just the PCR.     So, future cruisers, you should take a PCR test about 3 weeks before your cruise just to make sure you didn't have covid and not realize it.   It would suck getting on your cruise and they do a random (or not random) PCR test on you and you will be quarantined without the doctor's note even though you recovered from covid months ago.

This is excellent advice!  Someone had posted this information on the Canadian board around February.  It never even occurred to me to do this.  So a couple weeks before I went on my March cruise I did have it done.  It came back negative but it gave me some peace of mind even though it was pricey.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, FritzG said:

We were on the Enchanted from 2/28 - 3/20, and there was a big change in elevator etiquette on the second cruise.  On the 2/28 people were respecting the 6 people limit on the elevator although not everyone wore a mask.  On the 3/10 cruise in most cases the elevators were back to "squeeze as many in as you can".  If we wanted to see anyone in a mask DH and I had to look at each other.  We got out of several elevators as others squeezed in.  There was even an announcement and reminder of elevator etiquette on the Wake Show, but it didn't make much difference.   DH can't climb stairs so that wasn't an option.  I commented on the 6 people limit, and I got several snotty replies.  The only thing I kept saying it that I want to keep cruising, and I'll follow the rules to make that possible.

What you posted is correct. I noticed the same thing.

People always start out their cruise wearing a mask even if they are anti mask but by the 2nd or 3rd day, off they come 

Almost no one wears one in the show lounge. Maybe 2 out of 20 people.

The elevators are hit or miss and some people will get off in a huff if to many get on.

All the more room for me. 😆

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

What you posted is correct. I noticed the same thing.

People always start out their cruise wearing a mask even if they are anti mask but by the 2nd or 3rd day, off they come 

Almost no one wears one in the show lounge. Maybe 2 out of 20 people.

The elevators are hit or miss and some people will get off in a huff if to many get on.

All the more room for me. 😆

This is what I am not looking forward to in May.

Very selfish attitudes out there. 

It is the same everywhere now and the virus is not over with us. 

My choice to take the risk though, to use up the FCC which were not refundable. 

• Like 4

My advice to anyone cruising right now (and we all know this, but I’m fairly confident that people don’t really fully appreciate what it means to them personally), is that you have to be prepared to spend the entirety of your cruise in isolation and then be offloaded to a quarantine hotel on land. It can easily happen and is happening all the time. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My advice to anyone cruising right now (and we all know this, but I’m fairly confident that people don’t really fully appreciate what it means to them personally), is that you have to be prepared to spend the entirety of your cruise in isolation and then be offloaded to a quarantine hotel on land. It can easily happen and is happening all the time. 

We have dwelled on this quite abit. 
You are right! 
If one of us tests positive & we are given the choice of hotel quarantine we will take it.

If not we will ask to disembark and I will pay my own expenses on land.

We are at the point of just wanting to use up our fCC and be done with it.

38 minutes ago, dog said:

This is what I am not looking forward to in May.

Very selfish attitudes out there. 

It is the same everywhere now and the virus is not over with us. 

My choice to take the risk though, to use up the FCC which were not refundable. 

Everyone including the crew has been tested. 

Why worry?

You could get the virus at your local Walmart just as easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

We have dwelled on this quite abit. 
You are right! 
If one of us tests positive & we are given the choice of hotel quarantine we will take it.

If not we will ask to disembark and I will pay my own expenses on land.

We are at the point of just wanting to use up our fCC and be done with it.

If you test positive, just remember the Eagles:  You can check out anytime you like. But you can never leave. Asking to disembark on your own is not an option.

Stay positive! Test negative! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

If you test positive, just remember the Eagles:  You can check out anytime you like. But you can never leave. Asking to disembark on your own is not an option.

Do not know where I read it, but some passengers did just that on cruise recently to Europe.  Do not know details. 

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Everyone including the crew has been tested. 

Why worry?

You could get the virus at your local Walmart just as easy. 

Why worry???

are you in denial that it could and probably will happen to you with that attitude. It’s much easier to contract on a ship with close than a trip to the store with your Mask on.

you can bet that the sick crew are still onboard as the crew has told me they were short handed onboard with only 1500 passengers and thy would not be getting more crew when it goe to over 2500 for the Hawaii cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

let's just say... if I take a 7 day RT out of FLL and if we have driven to the port and parked in the parking garage at terminal 2 ...

I'm not feeling good on day 5 , go to medical, and test positive ... what EXACTLY happens on day 5,6, and disembarkation day 7 ?

you mean to tell me, that we "HAVE" to go to a hotel in FLL and stay on our dime ???

yeah, that's not happening ... sorry, if I have to forfeit 'additional fcc' for the 'covid days' on board

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Also, if I'm standing near the doors and someone in the back wants out but it's not my floor, I'll step out and let them off, then get back on. Most people seem to want to squish over into someone else for what? Fear that the elevator will leave without them?

I was on the Ruby for Feb 25 to March 12 and we had very few elevator issues because ship was around half capacity. Used the central elevators for the most part and often had our pick of 2 empty cars arriving (one of the regular ones and one of the glass ones). Only one time getting off a very crowded tender did we have people trying to cram into our elevator, and I actually pushed the close door button and said sorry this one is full as people were rushing over. That was after we had held back from cramming into the previous car. Not really like me to be that assertive but as far as I could tell the folks were not mad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Did you and G test positive?
I’m a bit worried about boarding in FLL on Saturday, but fully prepared for whatever comes our way and we’re coming from Canada. I have 3 insurance policies and no pets at home, we are all boosted up, too!  I we didn’t have any FCC to burn as I do read many people are cruising only because of that, we just want to move forward…with our masks on! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Cruise Kay said:

Worry, maybe not. Very careful consideration: yes.

Cruise Kay....very good post. Just maybe SOME day we won't be bandying all this covid talk back and forth. That'd be nice. A wistful look back at how relatively carefree crusing used to be. I just completed one and, while certainly nice, it didn't feel the same. I found myself being always aware of how many people around me weren't masked, etc. A definite paradigm shift is in order going forward. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’m a bit worried about boarding in FLL on Saturday, but fully prepared for whatever comes our way and we’re coming from Canada. I have 3 insurance policies and no pets at home, we are all boosted up, too!  I we didn’t have any FCC to burn as I do read many people are cruising only because of that, we just want to move forward…with our masks on! 

I very much hope you stay healthy and have a wonderful time. You’re so right,  we all want to just move forward. It’s too bad that we can’t always get what we want.  (Still trying some time to find out if we’ll get what we need). 

What is it about this thread and song lyrics? 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 2