Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

10 hours ago, bunnyette said:

Yes, always best to make your own arrangements in this case.  Hopefully once you get in the UK, you can retest…and be negative this time!

I do like control and finding the right AirBnb was something to do and fun to explore all the choices.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bunnyette said:

Me again, this means you can visit Iain’s relatives and perhaps explore the UK?

With the exception of spending a week in Southampton we are keeping our plans and flying to Scotland next Saturday.   We wanted to make sure we aren't at risk of possibly infecting all of his Grand Nieces and Nephews who are all mostly unvaxed because of age.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Lots of other places to pick up Covid for example tour buses with little or no social distancing ( this has been a regular feature of many complaints) and  visiting venues off the ship. 

This was my biggest complaint on my recent Princess cruise out of Southampton, which ended just 3 weeks ago. However, masks were still required when moving around the ship unlike on Silhouette and should have been worn on tour buses also. And isolation was in balcony cabins on deck 8. I am totally shocked at the Celebrity decision to imprison people on deck 3 without access to fresh air! My next cruise on Silly is in July and if things have not changed, it will likely be cancelled.

Iain, I too would love to read of a continuation of your journey 👍

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I agree, would love to hear the continuation of your trip!

I am warming to the idea of continuing.   All I have to do is put my laptop in my bag and disconnect my mini-router and Roku  It will keep me out of Iain's hair.  

We are almost finished packing up - They are up to tag numbers 36 and our are 96 so guess it will be awhile.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Those pictures a beautiful.   Awakening in Southampton to a beautiful sunny day has put a smile on my face.  

I've been getting a lot of personal e-mails requesting me to keep blogging about about our stay in Southampton and Ayrshire.    I am considering it.    I don't want to bore my followers but feel like so many of you have become my friends.  

The  CC members have really made my short quarantine more enjoyable.

I for one would love to hear of your UK experiences.  If your Airbnb is in the New Forest you can enjoy the walks without fear of bumping in to many people so should be okay on isolation. If not in a place with few people I'm sure there will be fresh air a plenty in any garden at the property and most likely visiting deer, ponies and donkeys as well.

It's a bank holiday weekend here so might be busy until Tuesday and no doubt being such be prepared for rain as it traditionally loves to cause a washout on public holidays!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Now we all know that there is no equal treatment for those testing positive with COVID.    You were allowed to remain in your RS and were served on China instead of paper.    Smoking in a RS bathroom or on the balcony will cause problems for those using your cabin on the next sailing.   We will see if your debarkation is similar to JetBlues.    Being a Zenith passenger also may have played a part in your treatment.

I don’t believe that Jim and Iain were allowed to stay in their suite because of their status. Other cruisers have also posted that they were allowed to stay in their cabins on levels 6 and 10 when Level 3 was full. 
I certainly don’t begrudge them eating from china after waiting in excess of 3 hours from ordering until being served!!

Best wishes to Jim and Iain for their self imposed quarantine near Southampton. It’s a beautiful part of the country with lovely coastline and the new forest. Enjoy your time in Scotland with family and I look forward to reading of your future exploits. Thanks for your generosity in sharing your experiences. 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

I don’t believe that Jim and Iain were allowed to stay in their suite because of their status. Other cruisers have also posted that they were allowed to stay in their cabins on levels 6 and 10 when Level 3 was full. 

Alas there have been a couple of mean-spirited posts. Such a pity given the enjoyment that this thread has given to many of us. That's life though, but a good response from you TowandaUK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have really enjoyed reading of both of your adventures over the past two weeks and look forward to a continuation of your travels, albeit changed itinerary. Hope you aren’t feeling too unwell following your positive test  and Iain continues to be negative. At least you will have given yourself an immunity boost but shame your trip to Norway is cancelled. We are on Reflection in July and really hoping Celebrity considers changing their quarantine policies by then, but will take all sensible precautions. Hope you have a lovely stay in the U.K. you have picked a great day to return, sunny and warm today. Also hope disembarkation is smooth and stress free. 

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I remember Bucklers Hard well as apparently the D Day fleet was hidden there. 
 My father went to France on D Day, so I searched the museum for a possible picture of him, but found nothing.

A3EE14D8-568A-447A-BD83-4715A4894024.thumb.jpeg.338475bdfeacbdb031464d4e1c34b80b.jpeg

6890E16E-95EA-4565-A9E7-B1804FCAE1F0.thumb.jpeg.946764ed4a394dad849e2f4412d6f049.jpeg

93DD6AA9-9E77-4E18-93A5-00E604CB46A3.thumb.jpeg.8827055ad806c7b4cbc41658eb59df43.jpeg

There's a nice outside restaurant there attached to the hotel 

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have a couple antigen tests with us and will retest when ashore.    The doctor on the ship says it really doesn't matter as the UK have no regulations on isolation.  Duhhhh.... wouldn't even a doctor recomend the CDC guidelines of 5 days.

There's no legal law but very strong recommendation on both the NHS website and the government website 

I personally don't know anyone who's caught it (including us) since the rules changed in Feb who hasn't isolated at least five days. We isolated for 10 as still showing positive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Linda

i was thinking of you earlier about your electric outlet problem.   Here are a couple more things I have to solve plug limitations. 

UK adapter with 3 US plugsFF1E7933-6B9F-4F36-BBC1-67D26EC5EEBF.thumb.jpeg.aa6528df1a2ec752cfb762bd793b0711.jpeg

Standard  3 prong extender

83B68E82-9394-4A35-93F1-B05214CA3085.thumb.jpeg.5b0c67620326d91f187329936033580f.jpeg

My favorite as seen on tv

43C512A5-C95D-4061-A518-865D58636D94.thumb.jpeg.ce341fce92a31be83939bd38819dbd57.jpeg

Just wanted to say I have been following along, and was sorry to hear of your positive test.

As for the adapters, it appears the one in the last photo above is surge protected.  Surge protected adapters have been banned by cruise ships, due to their potential negative impacts to the ship electrical systems and the risk of fire.   @chengkp75 can provide a detailed explanation of the risks.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I personally don't know anyone who's caught it (including us) since the rules changed in Feb who hasn't isolated at least five days. We isolated for 10 as still showing

My husband was lucky, he tested negative on days 5&6, so was able to go out on day 6.

I tested negative on days 9&10.

However, I could have gone out on day 11 anyway, as would have been considered no longer infectious( this from my granddaughter, who is just completing training at University, to be a doctor).

• Like 3

Glad to hear you are not experiencing severe symptoms.  Enjoy your time in Scotland.  We were so looking forward to visiting Scotland on our British Isles cruise last summer but of course it was cancelled.  Would love to hear about your adventures there.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have a couple antigen tests with us and will retest when ashore.    The doctor on the ship says it really doesn't matter as the UK have no regulations on isolation.  Duhhhh.... wouldn't even a doctor recomend the CDC guidelines of 5 days.

I’m curious how many days of quarantine Celebrity is paying for!  Especially after the doctor isn’t recommending much.  I’d think least the 3 day the uk recommends/suggests. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

If you are a military history buff don’t miss the Spitfire museum, or Solent Sky, museum.   It’s walkable from the port.   Of course there is the Titanic museum.    It’s a short hop by train the Portsmouth to the British Naval Museum.   The ships displayed are wonderful and you can tour the inside of Nelson’s ship the Victory.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The test given is the Rapid Antigen test.   Results back in 15 minutes.    The home test I took the night before was also the antigen test. 

That’s interesting. The test that put me in jail was PCR. I have the documentation.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:49 PM, calicakes said:

Hi Jim

I'm late to your live blog party.  I picked up a travel Aeropress to use on our Sept. Reflection cruise per your recommendation from our Sept 2019 Equinox cruise.  I like my coffee iced, daily, winter or summer.  

I love my travel Aeropress and like my iced coffee too. I use the inverted method, it makes a stronger brew. Just google for instructions.

So sorry to hear about the positive test, especially when you and Iain have been so careful. The Airbnb looks lovely. I hope you both enjoy it, and more importantly, enjoy your time with Iain’s family. I’m adding myself to the chorus of those requesting a continuation of this thread. I love your live reviews!
Vivien

1 hour ago, barbette165 said:

The Mary Rose (Henry VIII’s flagship) museum in Portsmouth is also well worth a visit.

Definitely worth a visit! Visited the old museum years ago and want to re-visit to the new museum for my TA next year.  The artifacts are incredible.