Is the Lawn Club Grill worth the up charge

MooNGaTe27

First time we dined in the Lawn Grill we definitely overdid the flatbread and made a mistake of ordering individual mains. Next time we ordered one flat bread to share between four, four salads and then requested a variety of mains to be served family style (middle of the table) and then had individual plates to serve to. Obviously the same with sides. Much better.

As others have said, Murano, for us, is the best restaurant on board. Tuscan is a good steakhouse and pasta venue…We tend to book Lawn Grill mid cruise, just as we leave a port. It offers a more relaxed dining option with more of a family BBQ feel. Best booked in warmer climates but with a decent cardigan on we were still able to enjoy in the Irish Sea last year on Silhouette.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

If you have an overnight anywhere, go at that time. No wind to disturb your meal.

Be aware that we were charged a substantial local tax because we dined at the LCG while 'not at sea".   Something to be aware of if you are paying the bill.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keesar said:

Be aware that we were charged a substantial local tax because we dined at the LCG while 'not at sea".   Something to be aware of if you are paying the bill.  

Never known anything like that! Was it at all the speciality restaurants? We have dined in Tuscan on S class whilst overnighting in a couple of ports and never had a surcharge…However, we were in a RS so had speciality dining included so perhaps we just didn’t find out…

12 hours ago, asnaleah said:

We were disappointed in our dinners, but want to try it for lunch next time.

I'll be there every time it's open for lunch. Any burger fans out there would not want to miss the Signature Burger.

Tom

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'll be there every time it's open for lunch. Any burger fans out there would not want to miss the Signature Burger.

Tom

...or the warm chocolate chip cookie for dessert!!! 😋

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

...or the warm chocolate chip cookie for dessert!!! 😋

Absolutely !

It would seem that, at $25 (?) for a burger, not many folks want to partake - almost had the place to ourselves! We were in a RS, so it was no charge. But, even if I was in a lower tier suite or non-suite, I'd pony up. Again, one must be a real burger fan! 

PXL_20220301_171024802-XL.jpg

PXL_20220301_171454444-X2.jpg

Super tender roasted pork belly :

PXL_20220301_171540601-X2.jpg

And, they will cook these babies to order 🙂  

PXL_20220301_171634642-X2.jpg

PXL_20220301_174349745-X2.jpg

Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Never known anything like that! Was it at all the speciality restaurants? We have dined in Tuscan on S class whilst overnighting in a couple of ports and never had a surcharge…However, we were in a RS so had speciality dining included so perhaps we just didn’t find out…

We were having lunch at the Lawn Club and there had been an issue with the oven.  We had to wait for it to be fixed.  In all fairness, while we waited, a bottle of very good champagne was brought to our table courtesy of the house.  When I saw the check, there was a local tax added because the check was issued in waters belonging to our destination.  Very surprised at that but they said nothing could be done.  

13 minutes ago, keesar said:

We were having lunch at the Lawn Club and there had been an issue with the oven.  We had to wait for it to be fixed.  In all fairness, while we waited, a bottle of very good champagne was brought to our table courtesy of the house.  When I saw the check, there was a local tax added because the check was issued in waters belonging to our destination.  Very surprised at that but they said nothing could be done.  

Never heard of a local tax while dining on the ship in port.  Which port was it?  Was it applied to the amount of the specialty dining fee?  Would they tax other purchases on the ship like drinks?  Coffee at Cafe al Bacio?  Curious if anybody else has run into this.  

16 hours ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

I see the Reflection doesn't have a steak house ( which I like ) so is it worth the up charge to eat here ?

Another vote for "yes".  My family of 4 had dinner at the Lawn Club Grill aboard Reflection back in 2019.  We enjoyed the food there.  Our daughter still talks about the warm chocolate chip cookie dessert.  I agree with the comment that the salad bar was just ok.

I also agree with capecodmercury: Tuscan Grille offers a large variety of steaks on their menu.  You should definitely try it.

image.thumb.jpeg.686ee7e940badf1936d6387123e5756b.jpeg

Our son throws the flatbread while our daughter looks on at the Lawn Club Grille.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keesar said:

Really ??  We , as others have noted , were never charged a local tax fee.

Perhaps it is something new after the start of Covid ??

While I can't remember what I did yesterday, I certainly do not remember which port we were in.

As an aside--- I would also join others in recommending Tuscan Grill and Murano as excellent Specialty restaurants. 

( LOL--- If you are seated in Murano near a Big Mouth with a cowboy hat ( like we were once ), ask to change your seat ).

11 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Not in our opinion, it has the ambiance of an Outback Steak House, the food isn’t bad, with the pricing of a high end restaurant.

$55 a person?  You must have some very inexpensive “high end restaurants”.🤡

Edited by jagoffee

We actually didn't dine there while on board Reflection back in February (just didn't get around to it).  However, I'll say that what I see in this thread accurately reflects how mixed the reviews were that I heard on board.  I heard everything from "best steak I've ever had--we're going back" to "waste of time."

18 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

...  I heard everything from "best steak I've ever had--we're going back" to "waste of time."

The strip steak we had upon embarkation in Luminae was one of the best I've ever had. They could have told me it was a dry aged prime steak and I would have not questioned it. However, the "dry aged prime" steak I had (and paid extra for) in Tuscan Grille was something I didn't even eat 1/3 of. If you had told me it was a Denny's breakfast steak, I would not have questioned that!! 

There's a chance that someone, myself included, going to those same two places on the following cruise could have had a totally different experience.

Tuscan prime steak (all show, no go...):

PXL_20220228_235103544-XL.jpg

The steak I had at Le Petit Chef (sirloin as I recall) was excellent - catching me off guard there too! :

PXL_20220228_004009887-XL.jpg

Tom

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

$55 a person?  You must have some very inexpensive “high end restaurants”.🤡

We have one we go to all the time. Ambiance unbelievable. Service second to none. A regular special 8 oz lobster tail and 8 oz filet, salad, one side, and desert $55 plus tip. Happy hour drinks, I have Jack & Coke $8.50 wife has a glass of excellent wine $9.

We’ve been on Celebrity, RCL, Princess, HAL, and MSC, and none of them even come close.

• Thanks 1

We have only been once while docked in San Juan in 2019. We did not have a port tax that I recall. We enjoyed our meal so much that we are already planning another on our Silhouette cruise next January. We also enjoy Murano on S class ships and will do 1 meal at Tuscan on M class ships. We really miss Qsine on any ship as that was a favorite. 

13 hours ago, keesar said:

We ran into this on a med cruise. It has something to do with the EU tax regulations and the ship not leaving EU territorial waters.  It was several years ago and the ports of call were all in Spain, Italy and France. Regrettably  I cannot remember the details but the VAT was charged on any ship purchases which were not prepaid.

We also dined at LCG on the Silhouette for dinner one evening while in port and were not charged any type of "local tax."  First I have heard of that, although admittedly we do not dine at the specialty restaurants nearly as often as many others on CC so my experience is rather limited.  (Edited to add - this was a Southern Caribbean cruise just prior to Covid shutdown if this has any relevance)

Edited by Reel Love

Yes!!!  We have dined at Lawn Club many times, and on different ships.  We even had the hamburger for lunch once when the ship was offering half off visits.  Always had wonderful servers, service, and food.  And while most do get the warm cookie, I am a fan of the berry cobbler.  Yum!!!

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes!!!  We have dined at Lawn Club many times, and on different ships.  We even had the hamburger for lunch once when the ship was offering half off visits.  Always had wonderful servers, service, and food.  And while most do get the warm cookie, I am a fan of the berry cobbler.  Yum!!!

We have also visited LG several times, I have never made dessert! I would definitely have to skip the flatbread to get that far…I do love a nice berry cobbler. Another thing to add to my ‘to do’ list next cruise!

Yes, we usually order one flat bread for the table so that someone can go up and make it.  Everyone gets a slice.  And we do not have the salad bar. So no overeating before the main course.  I always get a filet, and we all share sides.  I do want to try their lamb day.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, CruisingFA said:

Has anyone been recently? Don’t see the burgers on the menu anymore 

If I remember correctly burgers are on the lunch menu not the evening menu…Hopefully someone can confirm…