Like them or not (I do) N.C.L. is getting almost everything right ,what do you think.

dolittle

It seems to me N.C.L. is getting a lot right recently . They have always been innovator's mostly to set themselves apart from other lines ,which kind of became their ''thing''. Their new and some newer ships are the best designs in the business I.M.H.O. Many on this site do not like the things they started that were copied by other lines but it goes to show they are getting it right no one steals a bad idea. I still like other lines and would still do all of the M.M . lines. With their new resort style ships best  shows(and good prices) and all around good time I fell like they are gaining on the bigger lines. Not sure if the  numbers show it yet but I think they will be gaining on the others . What do you think .

• Like 1

NCL has had our money for nearly 3 years, I don't even keep track of how many cancellations have happened ... we still haven't been able to take an NCL cruise.  I'm really curious about the whole experience.  All those 'freebies' ... husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth.  I'll be most interested to read everyone's opinion here; we don't cruise until this fall.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Tattooed loudmouths? OK. Why shouldn’t everyone who buys a cruise “get their money’s worth”? Don’t you expect to get your money’s worth? And what does body art have to do with it? 

• Like 10

In my experience Norwegian doesn't seem to attract a younger rowdier crowd. There are some fun things that could certainly attract fun loving people such as the race track and laser tag, but I'm in my 60's and would find those fun activities to do too.

Any place you find free flowing alcohol increases the chances of more loud talking, disorderly people, but there are very few cruise lines that do not offer drink packages so that chance is possible on any ship. I can also say I haven't witnessed many people who are disruptive, but then I'm also one who searches out quiet places and the spa is more attractive to me than the bars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

NCL has had our money for nearly 3 years, I don't even keep track of how many cancellations have happened ... we still haven't been able to take an NCL cruise.  I'm really curious about the whole experience.  All those 'freebies' ... husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth.  I'll be most interested to read everyone's opinion here; we don't cruise until this fall.

I think that is Carnival LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I've enjoyed the NCL cruises I've been on. I've never had any problem with fellow passengers, whether tatooed or not. I've enjoyed the production shows, the staff was warm and hardworking, the whole experience was just wonderful.

I've only been on three cruise lines: Princess, Norwegian, and Carnival. I've only seen one disruptive person in the ten cruises I've been on. The two women involved were  disruptive enough that security stepped in to handle it; it was a full blown fight between the women. I couldnt see if either of them had tattoos, though. It was on Princess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wasn't NCL the line that told their pax going to Bermuda that they shouldn't apply for the Bermuda authorization until within two days of sailing?  I read of at least one NCL cruise leaving many hours late due to the backlog that caused.  The correct directive is to apply within 30 days of departure, which is what we were told by RC.

• Like 1

NCL doesn't work for me. The ship-within-a-ship concept is the opposite of what I look for onboard a cruise ship. And the very active (one could say aggressive) dislike of dining with others is extremely offputting for this solo traveler.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

NCL doesn't work for me. The ship-within-a-ship concept is the opposite of what I look for onboard a cruise ship. And the very active (one could say aggressive) dislike of dining with others is extremely offputting for this solo traveler.

Most of the newer, larger NCL vessels have studio cabins that have a common lounge.  Solo gatherings occur every evening and many cruisers and the host get solo people together for meals and occasionally, shows.  I've never had to eat alone on NCL unless I really wanted to.   It's a lot of fun.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I just want to point out that the 3 main lines all do ship within a ship, the beauty is you don't HAVE to like it to sail any of the lines, it is a very small portion of the sailing capacity.

RCL - "The Suite Neighborhood"
Carnival - "Havana"
NCL - "The Haven"

and if you want to throw in a few others:

Celebrity - "The Retreat"

MSC - "The Yacht Club"

So, you really can't ding NCL for it unless you are dinging almost every option you have to sail in the US.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Have to say I have been on many NCL cruises, even a weekend cruise on Sky.  Have never had a problem with too many loudmouths, tattoo'ed or not

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dolittle said:

It seems to me N.C.L. is getting a lot right recently . They have always been innovator's mostly to set themselves apart from other lines ,which kind of became their ''thing''. Their new and some newer ships are the best designs in the business I.M.H.O. Many on this site do not like the things they started that were copied by other lines but it goes to show they are getting it right no one steals a bad idea. I still like other lines and would still do all of the M.M . lines. With their new resort style ships best  shows(and good prices) and all around good time I fell like they are gaining on the bigger lines. Not sure if the  numbers show it yet but I think they will be gaining on the others . What do you think .

We've done 6 cruises each on NCL and Royal.  We like them both.  In my opinion, Royal has better BIG ships (Oasis) class compared to Breakaway class.  The theaters on the big NCL ships are too small and don't have the grand feeling (frankly, even the grand feeling of their smaller ships).  The atrium area being the "home" for all the game shows and such does not work well, IMO.  It feels like an afterthought. When it comes to smaller ships, NCL is better.  Our first two cruises were on the Jade and then on RCCL's Serenade.  Jade wins hands-down, although Serenade is nice too.  The Great Outdoors dining space on smaller NCL ships is our favorite spot.  On the other hand, NCL has better entertainment overall.  And I love O'Sheehan's (or whatever they now call their 24 hr restaurant.  It is so awesome to stop by there at 1am for a sit-down, late night snack).  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jsn55 said:

All those 'freebies' ... husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth.  I'll be most interested to read everyone's opinion here; we don't cruise until this fall.

Ha, that's funny.  This will NOT be a problem.  I've never really seen that on any cruise of 7 days or longer.  Yes, a few people over-indulge...of all kinds.  Overall, though, everyone is pretty darn friendly...everyone is on vacation afterall.  If people could learn to show some elevator etiquette, that would be great...but I would say your husband should NOT worry.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'm really curious about the whole experience.  All those 'freebies' ... husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth. 

We cruise on both Royal and NCL taking about 6 cruises a year. You really don't see the "desperate to get their money's worth" type of people on most cruises. NCL is not know to be the Party Ships (that's carnival). Just lots of good people enjoying a great cruise. People enjoy the beverage package... often trying those more exotic drinks that you would never dare order in your local bar (we do). And most are o.k.,,, some not so much (you think "why would anyone pay good money for this drink"). 

• Like 4

I'm a quiet person but also have 4 tattoos. I promise to never start a fight with anyone unless they're blocking my access to hash browns, at which point all bets are off.

NCL gets a lot of things right. They also get a lot of things wrong, or at least not as right as other cruise lines: the onboard and app technology is behind the curve, the mattresses are harder than a day-old bagel, and the omission of specialty coffees and bottled water from the standard beverage package is annoying.

Nevertheless, I love the vibe and the ships and the crew and the public spaces and the decor and the hash browns.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

All those 'freebies' ... husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth. 

Tattooes don't bother me a bit.  Loud talking, while annoying, is easy to solve (just move somewhere else).   Don't we all want our money's worth?

People with elitist attitudes?  Yeah, those are the ones who truly annoy.  I hope they aren't on my NCL ship.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dolittle said:

Their new and some newer ships are the best designs in the business I.M.H.O.

All of the Project Leonardo ships (NCL Prima, Viva, et al) are based on Fincantieri's Project Mille which is also true for MSC Seaside, Seaview, Seashore (and Seascape) as well as Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady, Valiant Lady (and Resilient Lady). The Project Mille concept was first shown in 2013 and the first ship based on it (Seaside) has been sailing since 2017. 

7 hours ago, dolittle said:

With their new resort style ships best  shows(and good prices) and all around good time I fell like they are gaining on the bigger lines. Not sure if the  numbers show it yet but I think they will be gaining on the others . What do you think .

Since the shutdown, it's unknown who is gaining or losing at the moment. It will take time for things to get back to normal. NCLH is currently 4th behind the Carnival Corp, Royal Caribbean Group, and MSC. 

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

All those 'freebies' ...

Nothing is free.

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

husband is worried that the ship will be full of tattooed loudmouths desperate to get their money's worth.

Whether someone has a tattoo or doesn't have a tattoo has nothing to do with their behavior. 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

NCL doesn't work for me. The ship-within-a-ship concept is the opposite of what I look for onboard a cruise ship.

It is entirely possible to cruise on a ship that has a Haven/Yacht Club/Retreat/Suite Neighborhood/Havana type of section and never notice that something nefarious is happening behind those locked doors. Just enjoy the rest of the ship. 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And the very active (one could say aggressive) dislike of dining with others is extremely offputting for this solo traveler.

MSC has a Yacht Club as well as assigned dining for those outside of the Yacht Club. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

People with elitist attitudes?  Yeah, those are the ones who truly annoy.  I hope they aren't on my NCL ship

Don't worry, they'll all be ensconced in their private Haven area or in the Vibe, for which their Haven concierge got them passes.  You'll never see them unless they decide to go to one of the specialty restaurants.  lol

From this usually solo cruiser, they get the solo program right, hands-down.  I've thoroughly enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL and plan on more.  Sadly, I can go only once a year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, hallux said:

Don't worry, they'll all be ensconced in their private Haven area or in the Vibe, for which their Haven concierge got them passes.  You'll never see them unless they decide to go to one of the specialty restaurants.  lol

Have never be Haven, but hope to get Vibe passes when we go in the summer.  Usually we get thermal spa since we cruise out of NY in the winter.

Also, love going to the specialty restaurants 

In the grand scheme of things, I believe all of the main stream lines have more in common than different. Each does certain things better than others. I'd sail any dependent on itinerary and price. There are things I like very much about NCL (O'Sheehans/Local, District brew house, waterfront, entertainment) and several other things that I believe the competition does better. 

NCL is a very small fish comparatively. Last I read, MSC overtook them in the global market share for 2021. Genting has already went out of business.  The question is, are they too small to survive or is their small size going to be an advantage? They release 1Q22 tomorrow before the opening bell, it's a VERY big day for NCL. 

image.png.25eecebcbc88f59efee851dfe5eff025.png

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

NCL doesn't work for me. The ship-within-a-ship concept is the opposite of what I look for onboard a cruise ship. And the very active (one could say agssive) dislike of dining with others is extremely offputting for this solo traveler.

Same here - there seems to be a common attitude among NCL cruisers: they are so reluctant to share tables.  But then, the food (and service) in included dining venues seems almost designed to encourage buying (extra cost) alternative dining. 

And, if you are not in the "ship within a ship" you will experience an incredibly crowded experience -- I haven't measured it, but the ships seem to be carefully designed to minimize public areas. Yes, you can pay extra to get a bit of breathing room, but Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, and Princess seem to have more open areas for the commoners who do not choose to pay extra for a bit of elbow room.

• Like 1

I am grateful for all these opinions.  We are definitely not the 'elite' in the Haven, we just like decent manners in public, such as not yelling at someone all the way down the corridor of a cruise ship.  The elites actually annoy me more; we had a ball watching them on Queen Victoria a few years ago.  When it comes to dining alone, my e-reader works great in a hotel or restaurant, so hopefully it would do the same on a ship.  I don't mind a bit sharing a table, but sometimes don't want to make idle chit-chat.  It sounds like NCL will be just great for us.  Thanks everyone!  Keep the opinions and experiences coming!

sorry, but i try and book a haven whenever possible. i'm not elitist, a diva or a snob, i just really appreciate the extra mile that staying in  a haven complex offers.

also, i dont want to or wish to share a table with strangers.  if we meet someone at the bar, or on an excursion and we seem to click, i might ask them to join  us for dinner or drinks (probably not though). its not in my  nature to be overly sociable with people i dont know.

if you dont like the ship within a ship concept, you have the entire rest of the ship to choose from. starting from inside to club balcony. with that many other choices, you cant possibly have anything to complain about. (by the way, before they were called "club balcony suites, they were listed as mid ship mini suites.)  consequently, a rose by any other name...etc.

all that being said,  in the end, all i really require is get me to my cabin, let me lounge on by balcony with a cold beer or class of champagne, have the butler bring me some afternoon munchies, and all is right with the world.  

and in the end, youre on a floating luxury hotel, exotic ports of call, capacity for endless food and/or drinks, if you really  think that's not enough, wake up, smell the coffee, stop b***hing, and choose another form of vacation. maybe cruising is just not right for you.

while covid certainly did a massive number on the cruise industry, i think generally speaking, they do a bang  up job of trying to keep 2000-5000 people happy. give them a break. i've been on 18 ncl cruises in the past 11 years, and of course there have been little annoyances, but certainly not enough to ruin a great vacation.

so my friend, get over yourself, and if ncl doesnt float your boat (sorry but pun intended) sail with some other line

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

FWIW I agree to a point about NCL's innovation but seriously how many ships need a go kart track? On the Joy in December it was hardly used at all and once you have done it in one ship are you really going to do it again?  Such a waste of prime real estate

• Like 7