The Daily for Friday 05/20/2022

richwmn

Good morning from an overcast and windy central Texas.

Today, there is another interesting collection of days.  The only time we biked to work was when we lived in The Woodlands, and DH's office was close and we could use the bike paths.  Now that we're retired, we don't have our bikes anymore.  We should be aware of endangered species, and really all species, everyday.

Todays quote is true and could apply to what is happening with the animals and environment.

We'll pass on the meal, the drink and the wine.

We've been to Tenerife twice.  The first time was in 2000 on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  We were back there in 2009 on Tahitian Princess.  I'll look for my pictures in a bit.

@rafinmd  Roy, safe travels today.  🎈 BON VOYAGE 🛳️  Enjoy your cruise.

@JAM37  Julia, I hope your DH made it to your other house safely, and that he will be back in Florida permanently sooner than expected.  Enjoy your day with you DD and DGS.

@mamaofami  Carol, it sounds like things are going a lot better lately.

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news that the medicine your PCP gave you is letting you get a good night's sleep.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope your DD gets a good report from the surgeon.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the pictures of Tenerife and the reminder of when it was last the port of the day.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

We have been to Tenerife twice.  The first time was 21 years ago tomorrow on the P&O Oriana' on their world cruise.  The last time was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess.  Both times we rented cars and drove around the island.  The mountain in 2000 was shrouded in clouds, so we did not drive to the top.  In 2009, it was clear, so we were able to drive up there and take the gondola to the top.

I'll start with the sun rise that greeted us in 2000 as we sailed into port and the view from the ship when we docked.  (We got up a lot earlier in those days.)

P3310785.thumb.JPG.f68ff76378d248c820b9495f157b61dd.JPG

P4010786.thumb.JPG.9be1e89683a437557323bd4843736b89.JPG

This also from our 2000 visit.  It is another view of the church @StLouisCruisers posted.

P4010788.thumb.JPG.443a2a9e961f0b75804caa0eb2dbe9fd.JPG

This is a different view of the Auditorio de Tenerife which was taken in 2009.  

IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.8cd6c8abec5c0c7c779e917d08ec346e.JPG

The gondola we took to the mountain top, and looking down into the crater.  The area around the mountain looked like a moonscape.

IMG_7290.thumb.JPG.ed9daacd8407aeb1f048ee9281d873be.JPG

IMG_7292.thumb.JPG.5ac9ff07145f2690af9c629361234893.JPG

I thought this statue was interesting.

IMG_7340.thumb.JPG.ba31b101943714431ee5e5839a1f7986.JPG

What would a visit to a Spanish island be like without a picture of the bull ring?

IMG_7341.thumb.JPG.25881088d3276d84d52c38f264b24959.JPG

And finally, the view from our ship as we sailed.

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.27a915e99325670c1924ea049596041b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a cool and cloudy morning with thunderstorms expected this afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to be 94 and humid.

I have friends sailing today from Seward on Celebrity Millie., it’s their 1st time to Alaska. They flew out yesterday and flights were delayed. I hope they made the connection 🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 23

I checked my bank balance this morning and found I am not quite a millionaire yet.  It is close as I am only $999,990.00 short.  Donations are appreciated if anyone wants to help put me over the top.  LOL

• Like 8
  • Haha 23

Good morning all!

It's going to be a very nice day here today, which means more gardening and visiting with neighbors.  

It would be nice to be a millionaire, we've never lived close enough to work to bike to work, but DSIL does sometimes (even though the distance would be too far for us) 😉 and it's so important to be aware of endangered species.  

I'll pass on the meal and drink, but the wine sounds good. Have never been to Tenerife, thanks to all who post photos.

I think I'll make a cod dish tonight from a HAL recipe (Halibut Caddy Ganty) using cod instead of halibut.  I don't think I've made it before, but obviously liked it enough to keep the recipe card from a cooking demo on an Alaska cruise.  I have all the ingredients, so that's what we'll have tonight.

Yes, yes, yes house prices are outrageous.  I'm so glad DH and I aren't planning to move any time soon.  A house down the street from us sold this month.  It's 1/2 the size of our house, and needs new siding and new roof.  It sold for 3+ times more than we paid for our house 27 years ago.  Houses in this area and Seattle are selling in hours, not weeks, and for much more than the asking price.

Bon Voyage Roy @rafinmd!!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI'm so sorry to hear that your DD's friend has Stage 4 lung cancer. 😞  

Debbie @dfishso glad you're able to get better sleep these days before your surgery!  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@dfish all the best for your surgery, not sure when it is, sounds like I might be on my cruise

@StLouisCruisers bon voyage for your sailing, I'll be on the water when you leave

@rafinmd bon voyage, have a great time!

Today is packing day, a task I'm not thrilled with, along with a myriad of other things like some light housework (always want to come home to a clean house); I'm off work until the 31st, so that's a nice feeling.  Would I quit work if I suddenly became a millionaire, probably, then I'd book the next year on my favorite ship.

Seattle's weather is going to improve just in time for sailaway on Sunday.  We leave tomorrow afternoon for our pre-cruise overnight in downtown Seattle.  Then it's Smith Cove by 11 AM.  

Have a great week everybody!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Have a great weekend!

DSIL is recovering but still isolating as she still showed positive on Wednesday. We have decided to cancel our trip to see my sister until DSIL is able to care for Sam. That entails up early to feed him and then up and down stairs to let him out during the day. Hopefully mid-June we can go. My sister did attend the bridal shower Sunday. My ex who was in attendance mentioned to my older daughter that she was looking frail. I do not think that the doctor has changed the prognosis of 2-3 months.

- Jack

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good morning. Thank you for the daily meet and greet. 😉

It is a lovely day here in southwestern Ontario. We returned back a week ago from Cairo and snuggling infant and toddler, and now we are working on getting set for the Koningsdam next Saturday. To stay healthy, we are staying home as much as possible, although we have a first birthday party for my granddaughter tomorrow, hopefully outside to mitigate any chance of getting sick.

It looks like I should send my DD out to buy me a lottery ticket for tonight if I want any chance of being a millionaire.  

The quote is absolutely true and makes me sad for those scars that happen(ed) to people, animals, and our environment 😪

No biking to work in this house, since two of us are retired.

Prayers for those that need them, and cheers for those celebrating-even minor successes. Blessings to all.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

@dfish all the best for your surgery, not sure when it is, sounds like I might be on my cruise

@StLouisCruisers bon voyage for your sailing, I'll be on the water when you leave

@rafinmd bon voyage, have a great time!

Today is packing day, a task I'm not thrilled with, along with a myriad of other things like some light housework (always want to come home to a clean house); I'm off work until the 31st, so that's a nice feeling.  Would I quit work if I suddenly became a millionaire, probably, then I'd book the next year on my favorite ship.

Seattle's weather is going to improve just in time for sailaway on Sunday.  We leave tomorrow afternoon for our pre-cruise overnight in downtown Seattle.  Then it's Smith Cove by 11 AM.  

Have a great week everybody!

Bruno, thanks for the kind wishes.  I hope you and DDad have a very enjoyable Discovery Princess cruise.  As much as we all hate change, there's a lot of things on Princess you will enjoy, and of course some you will say are too different than HAL for your tastes.  But I know you will enjoy Alaska so keep an open mind.  And I hope your sailaway is sunny and beautiful, too.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday!

Debbie @dfish, I was able to translate that recipe on my iPhone. If you refresh the screen there is a translate “button” (of sorts) that you can touch. However, it’s not a perfect translation. It does sound good. It also has linguica sausage with the bacon. 

Bon Voyage to Roy @rafinmd!!  ⛴⛴⛴. Safe travels to the port today. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

@rafinmdRoy, hoping you have a wonderful cruise on Adventure OTS.  

Carolyn @Cruising-alongthanks for your concern about DD's friend.  Melinda is mine and my husband's age but extremely fit, never smoked or lived with a smoker, so it's hard to figure out why these things happen.  DD has lost 3 friends, her grandma, and her MIL in the past 6 months so is understandably upset.  I hope the remainder of 2022 is a lot better for her.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll take a million. No job to bike to in retirement. We should protect endangered species.

Sad but true quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish), drink and wine.

I haven't been to Tenerife. Thanks for the pictures.

It's been a rainy, gloomy morning here. At least my plants are getting water. It will be very warm this weekend, with highs in the low 90's and humid (ugh).

@TiogaCruiser My condolences on the loss of your friend's Mother and your second Mom.

@rafinmd Safe travels today and Bon Voyage tomorrow!

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for Melinda with that sad diagnosis. I'm sad to hear that DD has suffered so much loss recently. Thanks for the great photos.

@JAM37 Have a great time with DD and DGS.

@dfish Good to hear that you're at least sleeping better. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely pictures!

@atexsix Hoping you and DD have a wonderful cruise!

@Heartgrove Good that DSIL is recovering, but sorry she's still testing positive. Also good that your sister was able to attend the bridal shower.

@Dismomx5 I'm sure it was wonderful seeing the DGC. 

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

It’s eviction and travel day so this will be short. We enjoyed a fantastic dinner out last night but the ride home was an event. On our way back to the Villa our rental car developed a flat right front tire. Fortunately it happened right in front of a emergency EMS station. Praises for the stations dispatcher who changed the tire for us and we are are hoping we can make it to the airport in on the temporary spare.

It’s been a fantastic vacation and can’t wait to come back. It’s our happy place!

Have a great day and weekend. Time for final packing and another bag drag!

• Like 29

9 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll take a million. No job to bike to in retirement. We should protect endangered species.

Sad but true quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish), drink and wine.

I haven't been to Tenerife. Thanks for the pictures.

It's been a rainy, gloomy morning here. At least my plants are getting water. It will be very warm this weekend, with highs in the low 90's and humid (ugh).

@TiogaCruiser My condolences on the loss of your friend's Mother and your second Mom.

@rafinmd Safe travels today and Bon Voyage tomorrow!

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for Melinda with that sad diagnosis. I'm sad to hear that DD has suffered so much loss recently. Thanks for the great photos.

@JAM37 Have a great time with DD and DGS.

@dfish Good to hear that you're at least sleeping better. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely pictures!

@atexsix Hoping you and DD have a wonderful cruise!

@Heartgrove Good that DSIL is recovering, but sorry she's still testing positive. Also good that your sister was able to attend the bridal shower.

@Dismomx5 I'm sure it was wonderful seeing the DGC. 

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

6 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisersPrayers for Melinda. 🙏

Thanks to both of you.  How could I have forgotten her most recent loss, Gracie!  That one still makes her cry.  Well, at least tomorrow when she picks up her new puppy she will have something good to occupy her mind!

• Like 16

@StLouisCruisers,I am sorry to hear about DD's friend  Melinda .There have been so many losses in her life.

My mother and brother both died of lung cancer.Both were smokers.However, while helping them through chemo I met a lot of people who had the same disease and never smoked.

There have been many medical advances in lung cancer treatment  even in the last 5 years.

Bon Voyage to you and DH on your cruise.I will miss you!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,I am sorry to hear about DD's friend  Melinda .There have been so many losses in her life.

My mother and brother both died of lung cancer.Both were smokers.However, while helping them through chemo I met a lot of people who had the same disease and never smoked.

There have been many medical advances in lung cancer treatment  even in the last 5 years.

Bon Voyage to you and DH on your cruise.I will miss you!

Terry, I believe since Melinda is in such great physical condition, they have hopes they can slow this down by treating her with all the latest advances, like you said.  What alarmed me was her chest X-ray showed nothing.  It took an MRI to see she had cancer lesions.  Her only sign was her hip started hurting so you wouldn't think lung cancer would you?  

I'm sorry your mother and brother both died of it.  Not something you'd wish for anyone, much less your close family members.

And I will miss you all, too!❤️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

It is June 1st, Bruno.   I hope you and Dad have a wonderful cruise!

56 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Debbie @dfish, I was able to translate that recipe on my iPhone. If you refresh the screen there is a translate “button” (of sorts) that you can touch. However, it’s not a perfect translation. It does sound good. It also has linguica sausage with the bacon. 

The one thing I didn't do is try to refresh it.  Wouldn't you know!

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Carolyn @Cruising-alongthanks for your concern about DD's friend.  Melinda is mine and my husband's age but extremely fit, never smoked or lived with a smoker, so it's hard to figure out why these things happen.  DD has lost 3 friends, her grandma, and her MIL in the past 6 months so is understandably upset.  I hope the remainder of 2022 is a lot better for her.

There is a rising incidence of lung cancer among never smoked patients lately.  Sometimes these things just happen.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is June 1st, Bruno.   I hope you and Dad have a wonderful cruise!

The one thing I didn't do is try to refresh it.  Wouldn't you know!

There is a rising incidence of lung cancer among never smoked patients lately.  Sometimes these things just happen.  

Thanks, 🙏 everything goes well. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bruno, thanks for the kind wishes.  I hope you and DDad have a very enjoyable Discovery Princess cruise.  As much as we all hate change, there's a lot of things on Princess you will enjoy, and of course some you will say are too different than HAL for your tastes.  But I know you will enjoy Alaska so keep an open mind.  And I hope your sailaway is sunny and beautiful, too.

Thanks so much.  And you're right, it's time for a change, after umpteen consecutive HAL sailings; if anything to put things in perspective on where HAL fits into the cruising spectrum.  I'll either embrace the differences or run screaming back....time will tell and soon.  I don't know where you're cruising or what ship, but any cruise is wonderful in this day n age.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi and Roy: Bon Voyage! Wishing you fair winds and following seas.

Thank you my dear!  We don't sail for 6 days but there's so much to get done now, as you well know.  And I seem to have forgotten how to pack!🧳

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Terry, I believe since Melinda is in such great physical condition, they have hopes they can slow this down by treating her with all the latest advances, like you said.  What alarmed me was her chest X-ray showed nothing.  It took an MRI to see she had cancer lesions.  Her only sign was her hip started hurting so you wouldn't think lung cancer would you?  

I'm sorry your mother and brother both died of it.  Not something you'd wish for anyone, much less your close family members.

And I will miss you all, too!❤️

Sandi, my DM's lung cancer was found on a routine abdominal CT for something else.  Several xrays and a CT later and a lung bx and 4 months, she was having radiation.  Dr says they found it quite early and she is cancer free.  Prayers for Melinda that the same happens for her.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thanks so much.  And you're right, it's time for a change, after umpteen consecutive HAL sailings; if anything to put things in perspective on where HAL fits into the cruising spectrum.  I'll either embrace the differences or run screaming back....time will tell and soon.  I don't know where you're cruising or what ship, but any cruise is wonderful in this day n age.  

We're on an older Princess ship, Island Princess (2003) which is almost 93,000 tons and hold 2200 passengers.  No idea how many they are expecting for our transatlantic.  So we go from FLL to Southampton stopping in Halifax, 3 stops in Iceland, Shetland Islands, Cork Ireland and Falmouth UK.  Then another 16 days in Norway including the island of Spitsbergen.  In fact we'll be way up north on the summer solstice visiting Longyearbyen.  That reminds me - pack eye masks for trying to sleep in the Midnight Sun.

Meanwhile you'll be on the newest ship, Discovery.  Hope it's all you expect and a whole lot more!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1