The Daily for Friday 05/27/2022

richwmn

Love the picture of the Amsterdam that was..... and I miss her. And I am enjoying all the pictures of ports I have been to since you can not see everything and I am realizing how much I have missed at some of them. I am going to have to do a lot more cruising to catch up. I don't have a cruise scheduled until Jan. 2024.... that is a long time off. Frankly, right now I think I am with others.... just could not handle all the hoops we need to jump through although I understand the necessity. 

Think positive everyone. 

Susan

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

BTW I am sad as I was supposed to be on the Rotterdam today in Bergen Norway.

But fears of testing positive outside the country and then being isolated, I canceled and got refund.

Nice we have webcams to watch

Sorry you are missing your cruise but pleased you got your refund.

Different countries in Europe have different quarantine measures which are confusing to us as they keep changing so I can understand your concern.

Graham.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, 4966and556 said:

I tried to post and it says "hidden".  I don't know how that happened. 

It comes up from time to time.    CC does some automatic checking of posts for things like commercial use, copyright violations, and offensive comments.  Sometimes completely innocent words come up in a post that will cause a post to be either "hidden" or have material replaced by asterisks.  Hidden is probably better because if a moderator has time they can look at and clear it.  For a while we had a running joke on the Daily about "The Captain who cannot be named."

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Afternoon all, I believe it’s up to the moderator to determine if the CC rules are being violated, the report function is always available. Have a blessed evening 

I absolutely agree.

No one should be made to feel bad that they are making too many posts,thread drifting or not multi posting by other posters.

I have seen lots of posters leave forums with a parting post saying They have had enough!!

When I have started threads I have welcomed a wide discussion and encouraged as many people as possible to give their views.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

When words are written, not spoken, we lose the shades and nuances of meaning. Everyone is welcome here. We have been living on our last nerve for the past 2 & years and have all become more fragile...

Remember what you learned as children :

Be polite

Be kind

• Like 19

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It comes up from time to time.    CC does some automatic checking of posts for things like commercial use, copyright violations, and offensive comments.  Sometimes completely innocent words come up in a post that will cause a post to be either "hidden" or have material replaced by asterisks.  Hidden is probably better because if a moderator has time they can look at and clear it.  For a while we had a running joke on the Daily about "The Captain who cannot be named."

Roy

Roy, I wonder if some brave soul, not me, should try writing his name to see if it's still on the naughty list. 🤣

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thank you!  I too was supposed to be on a cruise right now to the holy land, we cancelled for the same reasons you did.  Hopefully next year is better when I have two cruises booked to Japan. 

Again by trying to be delicate I am misunderstood, in my work leading groups professionally, it was unwise if one person dominated as it lessens the opportunity for others to participate.  That is my only concern, and is why I spoke out.   How and what you say are up to each individual.   

I too have many years of leadership and multimillion $$ project management etc. and therefore it was all about leading big teams etc. That said this is not a business situation, this is a social situation; big difference.

It appears you believe the topics are narrow here and need to be managed; IMO they are not.

The topics are varied and quite wide; there are no boundries set.

It seems it is your opinion that one person has been dominating the thread; I do not see that at all.

I can't even think of who it could be.

I am not sure that you are not looking for something that really isn't there. Is it that you do not like this person and are a bit biased? Just a question.

Everyone here is so nice and wants to contribute their opinions and experiences. That is what makes this thread great.

Accepting of all is important here IMO; it is up to the mods to police it.

Good discussion.

Take care.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I did but then I got over it and came back well sorta.

RCI has a thread similar called "how was your lockdown"   but it is not a daily just one long 2000 pages of thread and quite a hoot at times.

I have posted almost daily on Dani's Routine day in lockdown thread on Royal Caribbean forums since it started on April 2nd 2020 and it is getting close to 60,000 posts now. 

It is the friendly camaraderie among the posters like I also experience on here which attracts me to post daily.

Graham.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

I too have many years of leadership and multimillion $$ project management etc. and therefore it was all about leading big teams etc. That said this is not a business situation, this is a social situation; big difference.

It appears you believe the topics are narrow here and need to be managed; IMO they are not.

It seems it is your opinion that one person has been dominating the thread; I do not see that at all.

I am not sure that you are not looking for something that really isn't there. Is it that you do not like this person and are a bit biased? Just a question.

Everyone here is so nice and wants to contribute their opinions and experiences. That is what makes this thread great.

Good discussion.

Take care.

@ClippyJoewell said,  nuance is so important.  
@Cruisercl Of course there is a difference between social and business,   But in any setting monopolizing a conversation is poor form.  That stifles discussion.   I’m not sure where you got that impression that I believe topics were narrow and needed to be managed when I said specifically how and what you say  are up to the individual.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Good discussion.

Take care.

& that is what the IGNORE button is for.....I use it for a few posters.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

In all honesty, I've thought that some posters left because there came to be more discussion of health problems and troubling things.  Some people just prefer to stay on the sunny side of life.  

As far as monopolizing, heck, some of our most prolific and chatty contributors are very well-loved. So then it comes down to picking and choosing people who may speak, which makes me very uncomfortable.  As @57redbirdsuggested, just use the ignore button if there's a clash of personality.

Lots of points to ponder today.

( @kazuJacqui, at least from me, you get a full pass on whatever you say.  If you're crabby, go for it.  Sometimes it's a lot better to feel mad than sad.)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thank you for posting this.  I see others are misunderstanding so I am going to go out on a limb here and be honest and forthright (although that wasn’t appreciated the other day by some).  When one poster accounts for 25% of the posts on a thread it makes the thread unwieldy and monopolizes it.  And it is a type of hijacking.

I have not been on today because I am in a very dark place right now and my tolerance is too low so I am probably saying this wrong and for that I apologize.

Brenda’s post was not aimed at you.  By all means please share!

See my reply to Brenda above.  The issue is not talking about every day things which this is what the Daily is about.  We share and care for everyone here.  Since you didn’t like my post the other day, I’m sure you won’t like this reply either.

I’m being honest and the pain I am in doesn’t stop my honesty or frustration with losing posters on the Daily when it becomes unwieldy due to not using a few techniques to avoid multiple posting (I am not talking about a “handful of posts”).

For everyone on the Daily - I will see how things are tomorrow but if I”m not on, no worries.  I’m not sure if this is rock bottom or not but I hope there is no lower to go.  My words are probably not expressed well enough and for that I apologize.  Take care everyone, 

hoping this happens for everyone struggling including @Rowsby

4979620E-B49D-4770-8752-ED62704547A1.thumb.jpeg.8d4dc4c944bdd939338e9f752bf0a6ee.jpeg

You have my deepest condolences and respect and i wish you all the best at all times.

If the comment is aimed at anyone possibly me I don't understand.

Anyone can post at any time.

There are usually around 2,500 views daily but only averaging 70-90 posts daily?

• Like 10

Thanks for daily.  I enjoy photos (of all things), recipes and jokes!  

We were only on the Amsterdam twice, but would have enjoyed more cruises for sure.  Now scheduled on zaandam and zuiderdam which I hope are as nice!

we drink gnarley head zin a lot!  A good everyday brand!

best wishes to all!  DH is healing slowly, but is positive about going on upcoming vacations!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

I am a not so regular poster here but certainly read it daily. I usually enjoy everything most posters have to offer; very friendly, concerned for others and variety of opinions on all of the topics listed in the first post.

That said, I am not sure why the vague guidelines given by CC are in question here.

It seems like some people choose to make their own interpretations and expect the others to follow their personal opinions. This appears to be happening here. I hope the mods can jump in here with help.

Not sure what is meant by deviating from the topic when the topic is the Daily posted by Rich at the begining of the thread. There are many topics in that post so who decides the rules/limits/off topic rules for each of them?

Not everything works for everyone but we all (most people here) accept each other for what they have to offer.  This is my understanding of what this thread is and not to try to control them; it is rather unkind to try to control others.

IMO this thread has lost posters because occaisionally it is like walking on eggs shells because someone will reprimand a person if they do not agree with how and what they posted. I do not like to see when gentle people are disparaged for no valid reason.

Take care everyone.

I agree.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thank you!  I too was supposed to be on a cruise right now to the holy land, we cancelled for the same reasons you did.  Hopefully next year is better when I have two cruises booked to Japan. 

Again by trying to be delicate I am misunderstood, in my work leading groups professionally, it was unwise if one person dominated as it lessens the opportunity for others to participate.  That is my only concern, and is why I spoke out.   How and what you say are up to each individual.   

Anyone can post at any time and sometimes it needs someone to generate repeated interest like Rich does every day with a new daily to keep threads alive and active.

I would be upset but I would stop posting immediately if I was not wanted.

Kindest regards.

Graham

• Like 9

I think many occasional posters are like me. I read every day, post occasionally, enjoy most posts, scroll past anything that doesn’t interest me, look forward to seeing how some posters with issues are doing (like @kazuamong others). It is a comforting place to be every day. 

• Like 25

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Yup I tried as a test and my entire post is hidden.

Not sure when it will appear.  But, to abbreviate it, no need to worry about me.  I liked being here as you were all my rock but it seems I have caused contention and I guess that’s my problem so for now I will say adieu.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

We were only on the Amsterdam twice, but would have enjoyed more cruises for sure.  Now scheduled on zaandam and zuiderdam which I hope are as nice!

Haven't yet sailed Zuiderdam but have almost 50 days on Zaandam and find it very close in feeling to the Amsterdam.  You may want to check out the mechanical organ next to guest services.  It plays a little tune at least on sea days around noon with lots of action figures adding to the mix.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, superoma said:

I think many occasional posters are like me. I read every day, post occasionally, enjoy most posts, scroll past anything that doesn’t interest me, look forward to seeing how some posters with issues are doing (like @kazuamong others). It is a comforting place to be every day. 

What you said pretty much describes me.  Some of the posters remind me of tablemates we have enjoyed on some of our long cruises.

I enjoyed the pictures of the (ex)Amsterdam.  We have sailed over 300 days on her.  I think I understand now why HAL got rid of her - the lack of balcony cabins.  If the cruise line can sell an outside cabin for $900 and a similar sized balcony cabin for $1300. I can see why all the new builds have so many of that type cabin.

• Like 12

I feel that I need to comment on one of the currents this thread has had today.

Starting with the predecessor “Fleet Report”, a version of this thread has been going on for somewhere around 10 years with the exception of about 5 months. Lisa ( @LAFFNVEGAS) can pop in if she wants and verify the start. At the time the Covid shutdown I had been doing the “Fleet Report” for over a year. Since the ships were not sailing with passenger, there was discussion about stopping the thread. That is when it changed to “The Daily” and slowly became what it is currently. Each daily thread generally has over 2,000 views and up to about 150 responses (normally around 100).

Personally, I don’t think that thread drift can apply to this thread. This is always a general discussion of many topics, not just the ones I start with. Everyone is encouraged to talk about anything and everything. I know that some feathers have become ruffled, but that will always be the case with any group as large as this has become.

I feel that some members look at this thread each day, but have yet to comment. I hope that at some point they will feel comfortable enough to stick their toes in the water.

For the future, the basic information for each day is already done for the rest of this year. I have started putting together next year, but I am going to need some help. First, many of you know I am scheduled to be on the World Cruise next year. Because of time zones and internet availability it will be difficult for me to post the information at a consistent time each day. The information will be available on halfacts dot com each day for someone to cut and paste.

In addition, I would welcome suggestions for major days to highlight (like Memorial Day, Easter, Christmas) and any meals, drinks, activities associated with that day. My plan for next year is to have the “port of the day” be a port that a BHB is actually stopped at that day. For January – May it will be the location of the World Cruise unless Zuiderdam is at sea, then Grand Africa or something else.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Starting with the predecessor “Fleet Report”, a version of this thread has been going on for somewhere around 10 years with the exception of about 5 months. Lisa ( @LAFFNVEGAS) can pop in if she wants and verify the start. At the time the Covid shutdown I had been doing the “Fleet Report” for over a year. Since the ships were not sailing with passenger, there was discussion about stopping the thread. That is when it changed to “The Daily” and slowly became what it is currently. Each daily thread generally has over 2,000 views and up to about 150 responses (normally around 100).

Personally, I don’t think that thread drift can apply to this thread. This is always a general discussion of many topics, not just the ones I start with. Everyone is encouraged to talk about anything and everything. I know that some feathers have become ruffled, but that will always be the case with any group as large as this has become.

I feel that some members look at this thread each day, but have yet to comment. I hope that at some point they will feel comfortable enough to stick their toes in the water.

For the future, the basic information for each day is already done for the rest of this year. I have started putting together next year, but I am going to need some help. First, many of you know I am scheduled to be on the World Cruise next year. Because of time zones and internet availability it will be difficult for me to post the information at a consistent time each day. The information will be available on halfacts dot com each day for someone to cut and paste.

In addition, I would welcome suggestions for major days to highlight (like Memorial Day, Easter, Christmas) and any meals, drinks, activities associated with that day. My plan for next year is to have the “port of the day” be a port that a BHB is actually stopped at that day. For January – May it will be the location of the World Cruise unless Zuiderdam is at sea, then Grand Africa or something else.

Thanks for the mention. Actually I had to do some figuring of dates but it was around late February/ Early March of 2006 when I started the "Where's The Fleet" Interesting story on how this came about. At time time we were cruising Oosterdam out of San Diego fairly frequently, I was already doing the Web Cam Wave to CCers from the San Diego Web Cam that unfortunately no longer exists but for it's time was quite good. With doing that I had gotten to know the Hotel Manager of the Oosterdam, James Deering very well. (We are still friends and keep in contact today) In Febrary 2006 we were talking about Cruise Critic and he was a fan of CC HAL Board and was very supportive of it's members. He actually suggested that he could get me a PDF file of where the Fleet would be everyday and I could post that on CC. So I just started to post daily where those Dam ships would be for the next day.

It evolved from there, I did have to pass the torch in posting this about 8 years ago I believe and I passed this down to David (sorry I cannot remember his CC handle) I kept up the Where's the Fleet for about 8 years.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

24 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You have done a stalwart job keeping us going over this terrible time, Rich.  When Westerdam comes back into service next month and all the dam ships are sailing again perhaps it will be time to go back to the Fleet Report, and give you a well-deserved break!

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Haven't yet sailed Zuiderdam but have almost 50 days on Zaandam and find it very close in feeling to the Amsterdam.  You may want to check out the mechanical organ next to guest services.  It plays a little tune at least on sea days around noon with lots of action figures adding to the mix.

Roy

Love that organ, Roy! Can't wait to hear it play in August during our anniversary cruise. A little Jonny Cash' Ghost Riders in the Sky! 😉  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2