Big news on testing!

MustangGT

This is big news for us passengers but think of the people Princess is having to deploy to test everyone, process the tests, etc and the people they are using to look after folks who are quarantined on land after a cruise.  Maybe some of those people can start answering the phones and ticketing EZ Air!  LOL

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, awinte2 said:

I wonder if Princess will cancel the requirement of a covid test within 3 days?

The difference is that 3-day test is general, worldwide, whereas the pre-flight test was peculiar to USA.

20 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

The difference is that 3-day test is general, worldwide, whereas the pre-flight test was peculiar to USA.

It is inevitable that one day the pre-boarding and b2b testing will go away.  No one knows when that will happen???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, awinte2 said:

I wonder if Princess will cancel the requirement of a covid test within 3 days?

I think one of the major reasons was the outrageous prices Americans were paying for testing.  I saw an interview on TV today where some people were complaining that it cost them $600 just for the testing.  (They didn't say for how many) but people have been complaining to congress representatives about the added costs to fly back into the U.S.  If U.S. tests continue to be free, there isn't any reason for Princess to lift the testing requirement.

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

It is inevitable that one day the pre-boarding and b2b testing will go away.  No one knows when that will happen???

Agree but it would need to be more of a worldwide decision. Obviously the US can make its own decision. BTW where do you get the one day preboarding?

I hope this gets Princess to remove the masking requirement on the Vancouver to Whittier itimeraries.  It makes no sense at all since it is not required on the other Alaska itimeraries.  The testing to get back to the US was the only difference.  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think one of the major reasons was the outrageous prices Americans were paying for testing.  I saw an interview on TV today where some people were complaining that it cost them $600 just for the testing.  (They didn't say for how many) but people have been complaining to congress representatives about the added costs to fly back into the U.S.  If U.S. tests continue to be free, there isn't any reason for Princess to lift the testing requirement.

Free testing for travel is no longer available in most places in the US. I was pricing it for a cruise in early June that we ended up cancelling and it ranged from $125 - $175pp at CVS, Walmart, Walgreen, etc.. The cheapest option I found was the Binax eMed Proctored self tests at $70 for 2 test kits. The free tests that the government will send you are not valid for cruises or other forms of travel that required certified results. 

30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agree but it would need to be more of a worldwide decision. Obviously the US can make its own decision. BTW where do you get the one day preboarding?

I think they meant it to read "One of these days the pre-boarding...etc..." not that it was a 1-day pre-boarding test.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Free testing for travel is no longer available in most places in the US. I was pricing it for a cruise in early June that we ended up cancelling and it ranged from $125 - $175pp at CVS, Walmart, Walgreen, etc.. The cheapest option I found was the Binax eMed Proctored self tests at $70 for 2 test kits. The free tests that the government will send you are not valid for cruises or other forms of travel that required certified results. 

Interesting...  I just checked CVS in Southern Florida and the tests are still free even for travel.  As a matter of fact the web page didn't even ask if the test was for travel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

The free tests that the government will send you are not valid for cruises or other forms of travel that required certified results. 

Isn't there a site that will do proctoring for these kits?

51 minutes ago, fishnchips said:

Princess UK want $60 for port testing or supervised £30 in home

P&O Cruises ( carnival brand under same umbrella out of the same port) want testing done unsupervised £11 

So much inconsistent testing ?

Is P&O a participant in the CDC's voluntary Covid-19 Program for Cruise Ships?  If not, then they are subject to different countries requirements and recommendations.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I think the major reason was lobbying by the airline industry.