Volume onboard

Is it me or are the sound volumes on RCI ships getting LOUDER and LOUDER ? 

When you cannot have a conversation in Giovannis wine bar inside due to the sound levels of the amplified musicians in Central Park; or when the piano guy in the schooner bar is so Loud on Odyssey you have to leave….

Yes loud music is fine in Music Hall where it’s meant to be a music venue…but not everywhere

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

Is it me or are the sound volumes on RCI ships getting LOUDER and LOUDER ? 

When you cannot have a conversation in Giovannis wine bar inside due to the sound levels of the amplified musicians in Central Park; or when the piano guy in the schooner bar is so Loud on Odyssey you have to leave….

Yes loud music is fine in Music Hall where it’s meant to be a music venue…but not everywhere

Yes, too loud.  Maybe it's a conspiracy with the hearing aid industry?  😉

I have severe to profound hearing loss (not from loud music!), but I found that the majority of the music is at a comfortable level WITHOUT my aids.  😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Indeed I agree.   It is getting ridiculously louder on everything on the cruises now.  Have mentioned that several times in my exit survey.   I have good hearing, but cannot stay very long at several venues around the ship.  Not to mention all the announcements are set for pax with hearing loss ....apparently. 

DH is almost deaf, and is tough for him to hear things even with his hearing aids in.  But he had to take them out at several venues due to being too loud.  

YES...I AGREE....TOOOOO LOUD RCI!!  😮 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think Nick Weir has developed hearing loss.  When he goes on board and must tell the stage crew "Louder!".

I've seen it mentioned in Captain's Corners and during Entertainment related events so you are not alone.  Many people have noticed that Royal is cranking up the volume.

• Like 3

I guess I am officially old! 

I find the music on board uncomfortably loud, especially in the theater. Sometimes the music is so loud, I can't hear the singers.  We generally sit 10 rows or so from the stage and I wonder if there is a better spot that is not as loud.

Went  to Captains Jacks on Coco Cay and couldn't  carry on a conversation,  simply too loud.  Coco Cay pool is loud but that is a party area, and I understand the desire to have loud music. Lucky for me, I like the beach. 

Of course, important announcements are so low, I can't understand what is being said.   

Just no pleasing me!😀

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The volumes are fine. All at an appropriate level for venues. 

Nope. The pool deck band was so loud on Odyssey that we couldn't hold a conversation on the other end of the pool.  

• Like 1

Who cares if it's an age thing?  We started noticing it about 15 years ago.  I have mild-to-moderate hearing loss, and LOVE my hearing aids.  I stream music and phone calls with them, and I have control over external noises. Plus, they are invisible:  they are the same color as my glasses in the back.

I use this feature (app on my phone) for RCCL music venues.  Waaaaaaay too loud.  On the Navigator the volume from Playmakers can be heard all the way to the other end of the Promenade.  My "background noise" program is perfect:  lowers the noisy background, while allowing nearby sounds to be at almost normal volume.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

I complain about this during and after every cruise.  I avoid the Melanoma deck and the production shows because of the over amplification.

If enough of us would seek out one of the supervisory crew and complain, especially in a revenue generating venue, and tell them we were prepared to spend some time and dollars there but don't want to be subjected to the noise, it may have an impact.

When the music is so loud that you cannot converse with someone sitting next to you without shouting, it's too loud.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The volumes are fine. All at an appropriate level for venues. 

well not just the volume but what type of music and for how long.

Sorry but loud rock music in the Buffet for breakfast is not appreciated by me and I bet a lot of others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I complain about this during and after every cruise.  I avoid the Melanoma deck and the production shows because of the over amplification.

When the music is so loud that you cannot converse with someone sitting next to you without shouting, it's too loud.

first I chuckle at the deck you called Melanoma because I have often thought of this as well.

I mean sitting for hours in the sun even with best sunscreen is still not so good for the skin.

And yes, shouting above the music has caused me to get a sore throat a lot.

This is why during covid if on a ship and I wake up with a sore throat, I stop and think about the day before and how much talking I did and was the music loud.   

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, as I get older hear less. But I have Selective Hearing

actually some of my hearing is better.

I can hear a train coming up the valley before others can.  and idling car engines are loud to me as well

I never found it to be too loud . But i still like loud rock music and i can hear even the softest sounds . I have 3 sound systems at home and i still crank Black Sabbath and Zep and Deep Purple .

• Like 1

Hello,

It's a vicious circle: The louder the music plays, the more deaf the sound technician gets;  the more deaf the sound technician gets, the more he has to turn up the volume; the louder the music plays, the more deaf the sound technician gets and so on and so on.

In Two70 it's not only that the 'music' [that's a matter of opinion] was loud, I could feel my inners vibrate.

Regards,

Cublet

It could be you?  Some including myself get more sensitive hearing with age.  Carry earplugs and don't try to change the world; did that this weekend going to a movie.

Also I don't know that they intend for the volume to be low enough for easy conversing.  Maybe they set it higher so that those with nothing to say are comfortable??  I am not sure there are many places on land or sea that cater to all age groups play music (especially live performers) in the background.

20 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed I agree.   It is getting ridiculously louder on everything on the cruises now.  Have mentioned that several times in my exit survey.   I have good hearing, but cannot stay very long at several venues around the ship.  Not to mention all the announcements are set for pax with hearing loss ....apparently. 

DH is almost deaf, and is tough for him to hear things even with his hearing aids in.  But he had to take them out at several venues due to being too loud.  

YES...I AGREE....TOOOOO LOUD RCI!!  😮 

I'm a loud talker. Kathy is constantly telling me, inside voice. 😉 I also wear hearing aids but I can hear pretty good without them. 

• Like 1