The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 22nd, 2022

richwmn

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Happy Friday!   We are having a quiet weekend with no neighbors nearby for the first time in weeks.   It is going to be hot and muggy the next 2 days so the cabin is already closed up.  It was 65 degrees inside from being wide open all night. That head start should keep us cool all day. Nothing planned other than gardening and fishing.  Oh and spreading the river rock gravel that sits on our driveway to shore up what we have to keep splashing up on the logs.  

@kazuthank you for the garden photos.  My daylilies are just beginning to bloom.   

Have a great weekend!  Thank you for the Daily Reports!   Prayers for all those needing them.  🙏

IMG_20220721_053924614_HDR.jpg

Gorgeous flowers.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have seen Nawiliwili three times on Princess ships, the Diamond once and the Golden twice.  Nawiliwili is one of my favorite spots to watch the sail in.  It's such a twisty, turny entrance that can only be done during daytime hours.  If a tour is late and the sun is coming down, the ship must leave without them and wait outside the harbor.  Otherwise the ship is forced to stay until morning.  We did a tour of Waimea Canyon, Wailua River, the Fern Grotto, viewed Opaekaa Falls and enjoyed lunch in a hotel as part of the tour.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhzBOqbmIz1KC3hWCbmL7u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

See the tug boat in this photo?  The ship must squeeze between the land/rocks on both the left and right where the tug boat is, then turn to port 90 degrees to miss the land right there in front of you, move over to the water on the left side, then turn completely around facing out.  I imagine if the winds are too high you would have to cancel your visit.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNkWMTwk-Mu_qjLUHoDvCB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Squeezing through.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxxPbct90O7UGrX9JmYrxx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Turning 90 degrees.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKebEE05_2rpWySYkkn-4cu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Quite a feat!!

Blow hole along the coast on way to Waimea Canyon.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKifJssM1K48ShAF6pvwD7S?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0znzN32riSGKstesjpbpG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Waimea Canyon, which is like a Hawaiian Grand Canyon.  Not as big of course.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPxf-ayruuJ8PwKnto0n0y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7ww5IgAWtsJgVyS5Hdw1O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBia2cWCiQeh15jij2vfzm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Wailua River boat ride00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgAvKkYuwTqlnyBqq8jYew?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIX2_CaC-3ZyGsMnUdNeZQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLS7Ufw1Zesczru5Y0QMgMd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Fern grotto00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1Lc7iNIHXum3T0rUACR0i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEib-Pc2JXUwJHzkxLDJYB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxLmLThe-9PK-DfIIqPn9f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4L1Ntr2JqVyLdiewXi_0A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5YVc-B0fU7-cQ68Idk0Da?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgYFN2bI8Ws2DRuCqTsUj-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Awesome photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For the meal, I choose the chicken-noodle soup and caramel apple crumble. The Junior Cat agrees that the Lord is a shoving leopard; she thinks that she is a leopard herself.

Excitement today: I have to have blood drawn, and I'm very prone to vasovagal syncope, i.e., I faint easily. It doesn't have to be fasting, so I'll go later in the day when there might be no waiting.

• Like 25

Happy Friday Dailyites!  

@StLouisCruisers Yes, I too see the head and two paws of the kitty in the sun ray.  

Off to go get donuts before work, it's an F1 weekend!  And of course we work.  We watched the end of RRR last night, and totally loved it.  Great Indian film, violent but in a Mortal Combat original film way, so over the top and  beautifully choreographed, happy ending, and great Bollywood Music and dancing.  The bad guys die, the good guys live, how great is that?  Add dancing.

Then we watched the latest F1 news, and went to bed.

Apparently cats appear often in clouds...

760cb057df20abc0dcad128c0550d73c--the-clouds-cat-s.jpg

ec39de8788ded44f4fa34b6f45bc5748.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Apple Fizz cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
1 part cloudy Apple Juice
1/2 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup
Splash Soda Water

Instructions
Stir all ingredients and pour over ice in a highball glass.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.23.24 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.Today is our son, David’s birthday. He is still home with covid.

The heat wave continues and it will be 97 today.The air quality is awful so I’ll be staying inside and watching Netflix.
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily fleet report and for the care lists.

Can anyone remember the name of the comedian back in the 1960's who was known for "spoonerisms"? He recorded several of his routines and they were played frequently on the radio. Basically, he would take well known fairy tales and convert them to spoonerisms. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were the ones I remember. Sleeping Beauty became "Beeping Slooty".

It's strange how memories are triggered. I never knew those routines were called "spoonerisms".

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 24

49 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

For the meal, I choose the chicken-noodle soup and caramel apple crumble. The Junior Cat agrees that the Lord is a shoving leopard; she thinks that she is a leopard herself.

Excitement today: I have to have blood drawn, and I'm very prone to vasovagal syncope, i.e., I faint easily. It doesn't have to be fasting, so I'll go later in the day when there might be no waiting.

Best wishes for this afternoon.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We've never had a hammock, but they're fun to relax in when on Half Moon Cay.  Every day around here is summer leisure day, no matter the season.  I'm geally rood at spoonerisms because I'm dyslexic.  LOL  I'm pretty good at telling the story of Rindercella and the Three Sisty Uglers.

We woke to a gentle rain this morning which means the hot temps will abate somewhat for today.  Unlike many places where you live in the south, when it rains here, the temperature drops several degrees, often making it necessary to wear a jacket.  When we visited friends in North Carolina a number of years ago we experienced our first warm rain ever and were delighted that we didn't get chilled by it.  

Thanks for your care over DH's leg - the edema has gone down a lot, but his calf is still very sore.  The doctor feels he might have pulled a muscle, and that may be what is causing the discomfort.  

I know many of you golf, so thought I'd post this photo - it was taken on a golf course in Manitoba just the other day.  The reason why you should leave the golf course if there's a storm anywhere around.

May be an image of grass and text that says 'COOLM LFM Mornings Photo from Miniota, Manitoba after lightening struck the flag stick'

I like today's menu suggestion, and know we've had it when DH taught at the university and there was a delegation of South Korean teachers who came for the summer.  They served it with the most amazing kimchi - yum!  Normally it's Friday night pizza night at our house, but we're invited over to friends for the late afternoon for appetizers and a barbecue, so who am I to argue with that?  We're going to be talking cruising, as we'll be traveling together for our January Caribbean cruise.  Should be fun.  And wine.

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to Ren and his team; fingers crossed they win on Saturday!

@bennybearI hope DH's surgery went well.

Junk drawers - there's always been one in our house; where else would you put the bread tabs, twist ties, string, screw drivers, pliers etc?  It makes sense to keep those things where you'll need 'em!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Extra for the people of Ukraine and for their strength to continue the fight.  We'll celebrate all on the happy with the clinking of glasses tonight.  Stay well, be safe, get your boosters and wear your masks when needed.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 34

28 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone.Today is our son, David’s birthday. He is still home with covid.

The heat wave continues and it will be 97 today.The air quality is awful so I’ll be staying inside and watching Netflix.
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Happy birthday to your son David Carol.

I hope he is better soon.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 13

Good morning from a somewhat cloudy central Texas.  Since it was already 85F at 8:45 am, it will probably be humid today.  Not much on the agenda except DH's PT session, and trying to stay cool.  The weather map last night showed that our area is beyond extreme drought conditions.  We are listed as exceptional drought conditions, the highest (worst) designation.  😒

Hammock day and summer leisure day seem to go together.  We had a Pawley's Island hammock for many years.  We left it when we moved from The Woodlands.  Spoonerisms are interesting.  Thank your @grapau27 Graham for the explanation since I couldn't quite remember what they were.

Today's quote seems to promote dishonesty in being creative.

We'll pass on the meal drink and wine.

We have been to Nawiliwili many times beginning in 1996.  IIRC, we have only missed the port once because of high winds.  In 2018 on the Westerdam, Captain Vincent Smit cancelled the port when the weather predicted very high winds.  Instead, we had a third day in Honolulu.

@MISTER  I like the new and very appropriate avatar.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for more pictures of your wonderful plants.  If you don't get finished by the time of Shadow's early arrival, everything will still be there later when you have time to get back to sorting.  By then, Shadow may be able to "help" you.

@cat shepard  The meme is another winner.

@smitty34877  How nice of your neighbors to let you use their pool.  Too bad there is not a way to get Tana over to the pool.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending positive thoughts the Tigers win the semi-final game.  I saw the cat face in the clouds too.

@marshhawk  Loved the cat cloud picture.

@jimgev  The comedian you were thinking about is Norm Crosby.  No, my memory is not that good, but I did remember such a comedian.  Google came to my rescue with the name.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry your son is sick on his big birthday.  Please wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us with the hope he is negative soon.

These are some of the pictures I posted on August 11, 2021.

I do have some pictures from our various visits to Kauai, and I don't think I have any repeats.   BTW, the Hollywood tour is a great tour if your like movies and tv shows.

All of these pictures relate to the Hollywood tour and our Na Pali coast tour in 2007.

The Coco Palms was featured in Blue Hawaii, but unfortunately, it was very badly damaged by about 30 years ago by Hurricane Iniki.  On July 27, it was sold in a foreclosure sale, and it's fate is unkown. 

One interesting fact about the movie is the movie company expected the owner to tell her guests to leave while they filmed the movie.  They were thinking the could stay there and not have to make reservations.  The owner had other ideas, and refused to ask her guests to leave.  Elvis had stayed at the Coco Palms before, and knowing the owner, had wisely reserved a bungalow for himself.  Since they could not film in the bungalows, they had to use the one Elivs had rented and redorate it for the shots set in other bungalows.

Coco Palms in 2007

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.0195e17aaa9112110e459b9808acd036.JPG

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.221ceaa1bde5d5a15d24f1125f1d3aac.JPG

IMG_1158.thumb.JPG.fb23683dff36cde7438e4c0774f2330c.JPG

IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.2992efb29ec0a207ac22800cff15bd30.JPG

IMG_1166.thumb.JPG.5691d1321b5c3f02457d2914d2c5c289.JPG

The barge from the wedding scene without the outriggers

IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.60297a0a8650d51dc1214fdf50cb8fa6.JPG

Coco Palms in 2018 when we made it to Nawiliwili on Coral Princess that fall.

DSC06002.thumb.JPG.da1309d0a370b8a5b59adecc3e76bb0d.JPG

The other iconic movie site was the pier on Honalei that was used in South Pacific.  In 2007, it still had the roof from the movie before it was destroyed by a storm a few years latrer.

IMG_1197.thumb.JPG.37107cbc212369b863f7007628766b28.JPG

Without the roof in 2013

P1060373.thumb.JPG.103ab63f1d29dfcfeedf5337b9df9af1.JPG

With the new roof in 2014

DSC00740.thumb.JPG.2d3995bedda51a04e9b0f70920c22ee2.JPG

Some views of the Na Pali coast and caves that can only be accessed by boat

IMG_1702.thumb.JPG.4d86183b40f860b0297c595fd02d4a51.JPG

IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.4133397b6d5535b01fc9d21ca9b1b252.JPG

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.6266a5733c6de2154fc13bf4e3d21c31.JPG

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.18d4325c0cc8d81acd9fc76e62d9818e.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.e43422f8c92c85822db015f81cb79a41.JPG

Some of these views were featured in Jurassic Park.

I hope this posts since CC has been cutting in and out this morning.

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

I have a few more pictures from our various cruises to Kauai and from our drives around the island.  Most are from areas that the tours do not visit.  

A church in Hanalei, and IIFC, it is the oldest church on Kauai.

DSC08525.thumb.JPG.5c3e3e956d3a20fe7bc997e27143b41c.JPG

I believe these are taro fields 

DSC08528.thumb.JPG.0cb2184c758d9488a86716d97af55def.JPG

And this colorful bird was sitting on the fence

DSC08518.thumb.JPG.634668aa59c8decf30c51d8ff5004541.JPG

The Kilaueu Lighthouse on the north shore of Kauai

P1060367.thumb.JPG.18ea2c635cac0b9d740ed18c5cf86355.JPG

An abandoned sugar mill on a back road on the way back from Poipu 

DSC08546.thumb.JPG.2676bf0ff510de269f434ce656d545d0.JPG

Duane's Ono Char Burger is north of Kapaa.  We try to stop there and split a burger and an order of onion rings.  A friend recommended it, and he was right, they are great burgers.  There are tables under the trees, along with the resident chickens.

P1060384.thumb.JPG.8d9bcdde0aa20c5b5da219111ff30f80.JPG

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The comedian you were thinking about is Norm Crosby.  No, my memory is not that good, but I did remember such a comedian.  Google came to my rescue with the name.

Yes, that was him!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a somewhat cloudy central Texas.  Since it was already 85F at 8:45 am, it will probably be humid today.  Not much on the agenda except DH's PT session, and trying to stay cool.  The weather map last night showed that our area is beyond extreme drought conditions.  We are listed as exceptional drought conditions, the highest (worst) designation.  😒

Hammock day and summer leisure day seem to go together.  We had a Pawley's Island hammock for many years.  We left it when we moved from The Woodlands.  Spoonerisms are interesting.  Thank your @grapau27 Graham for the explanation since I couldn't quite remember what they were.

We have been to Nawiliwili many times beginning in 1996.  IIRC, we have only missed the port once because of high winds.  In 2018 on the Westerdam, Captain Vincent Smit cancelled the port when the weather predicted very high winds.  Instead, we had a third day in Honolulu.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for more pictures of your wonderful plants.  If you don't get finished by the time of Shadow's early arrival, everything will still be there later when you have time to get back to sorting.  By then, Shadow may be able to "help" you.

@smitty34877  How nice of your neighbors to let you use their pool.  Too bad there is not a way to get Tana over to the pool.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending positive thoughts the Tigers win the semi-final game.  I saw the cat face in the clouds too.

@jimgev  The comedian you were thinking about is Norm Crosby.  No, my memory is not that good, but I did remember such a comedian.  Google came to my rescue with the name.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry your son is sick on his big birthday.  Please wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us with the hope he is negative soon.

I do have some pictures from our various visits to Kauai, and I don't think I have any repeats.   BTW, the Hollywood tour is a great tour if your like movies and tv shows.

All of these pictures relate to the Hollywood tour and our Na Pali coast tour in 2007.

The Coco Palms was featured in Blue Hawaii, but unfortunately, it was very badly damaged by about 30 years ago by Hurricane Iniki.  On July 27, it was sold in a foreclosure sale, and it's fate is unkown. 

One interesting fact about the movie is the movie company expected the owner to tell her guests to leave while they filmed the movie.  They were thinking the could stay there and not have to make reservations.  The owner had other ideas, and refused to ask her guests to leave.  Elvis had stayed at the Coco Palms before, and knowing the owner, had wisely reserved a bungalow for himself.  Since they could not film in the bungalows, they had to use the one Elivs had rented and redorate it for the shots set in other bungalows.

Coco Palms in 2007

The other iconic movie site was the pier on Honalei that was used in South Pacific.  In 2007, it still had the roof from the movie before it was destroyed by a storm a few years latrer.

Without the roof in 2013

Lenda

Thank you Lenda for your photos especially of Coco palms.

The movie tour was the highlight of our Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess in November/December 2019

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm looking at the beautiful rays of light in that sunset photo again, and maybe I'm crazy but does anyone see at the top of that center ray, a cat face?  Look again!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOeANdaQDPDS_8qWd-6LS3UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658492034

I don't drink coffee but maybe I need a cup!  We were awakened extra early this morning by our security system beeping rapidly at 4:51 am.  Like two beeps per second fast beeping!  It turns out the battery downstairs needs replacing.  That happens about every 5 years.  The system went off three times, about every ten minutes and then finally stopped.  We had to jump out of bed each time and turn it off.  I guess they figure three times is enough to get you to do something about it, so hopefully DH has an appropriate battery to replace it.  Why these things don't happen during broad daylight is beyond me!

I  see it,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Kauai movie tour.

Blue Hawaii

South Pacific

Donovan's Reef.

Graham 

IMG_20191125_101021.jpg

IMG_20191125_133837.jpg

IMG_20191125_124608.jpg

Nice photos Graham, Thanks.

Jim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Coco Palms in 2007

Without the roof in 2013

Lenda

Thank you for these Fantastic  photos.

Jim.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Today and tomorrow will be cooler, low 70's, then heating up to mid-high 80's for a few days.  On the warmer days we've been using our new A/C and love it! 

I would love to have a hammock, but not sure it would be a pretty sight when I try to get in and out of it!

Most days are days of leisure for me, but not today.  I'll be driving a lot today, to meet my BFF for her birthday lunch.  I enjoy spoonerisms, we all got a kick out of my Dad's unintentional spoonerisms.

The wine and drink both sound very good, but will pass on the meal.  Last night I made the Pesto Chicken Meatballs and DH and I both loved it.  Since we both like pesto a lot, I made the recipe with more rather than less of the pesto, but added the marinara sauce. So mix and matched two recipes.  Yum!  There's enough for leftovers tonight.

472974379_ChickenPestoMeatballs.jpg.f6b1417e5c96a3e4efb5da1524cf3832.jpg

We weren't able to get to Kauai on our 2010 Hawaii cruise because of high winds, I appreciate all the photos from Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, Fred @Overhead Fred, and Graham @grapau27.  I'd love to get there some day.

Thank you Jacqui @kazuand @ottahand7for the photos of your beautiful flowers.

Sandi @StLouisCruiserscongratulations to the Tigers!!!  And I saw the cat's face in the clouds immediately after you mentioned it.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, jimgev said:

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily fleet report and for the care lists.

Can anyone remember the name of the comedian back in the 1960's who was known for "spoonerisms"? He recorded several of his routines and they were played frequently on the radio. Basically, he would take well known fairy tales and convert them to spoonerisms. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were the ones I remember. Sleeping Beauty became "Beeping Slooty".

It's strange how memories are triggered. I never knew those routines were called "spoonerisms".

Was it Red Skelton?

• Like 11

Good morning Dailyites. A nice quiet, breezy morning here in Maui.

Congratulations to the Tigers! Jacqui your yard is beautiful. I know Shadow will love it. Roy thank you for the care and celebration lists. 

Love the Kaui pictures. They bring back memories of times gone by. 

Junk drawers: yes I'll post a picture of mine when I get home. Lol

Cheers, prayers and blessings. Xx

• Like 16