The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 24th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Amelia Earhart Day, Cousins Day, and Parent's Day

I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will.--Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Meal Suggestion for today - green shakshuka
Drink of the Day - Effen Green Apple Cooler
Wine of the Day - Lieu Dit 2019 Cabernet Franc (Santa Ynez Valley)
Destination of the Day - Taiohae, NukaHiva, Fr. Polynesia

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07/25

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 07/25

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Grundarfjordur, Iceland 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta 08:00 -

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Bergen, Norway eta 07/25

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0724World.thumb.png.823ac47083b9df244d8442deb44502e6.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning here. Off early to the gym. Then some grocery shopping. I finished my yard work and 99% of my pool/deck is complete. So I may float in my pool later. 😎

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! A special good luck to REN & the Tigers! Hope the game is over before the worst of the heat. 

Cara, the six year old, loved this one the best. 

1AA29B62-7462-4A7D-8BB8-E867E683C9D9.jpeg.0521f2fe666b92559130116562730a3c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Lieu Dit 2019 Cabernet Franc (Santa Ynez Valley)

This Cabernet Franc has excellent - superb ratings and a reasonable price. I am not sure what “wet rocks” taste like, but I would love to taste this wine to find out. Several online distributors with prices starting at $29.99.

Winemaker Notes

Sourced from own rooted vines planted at the Happy Canyon Vineyard in the east side of the Santa Ynez Valey. The wine is fermented using native yeast. Once dry, we rack the juice and press off the whole cluster lots. The wine is transferred to neutral oak barrels for the winter. Once malo is complete we transfer to tank prior to bottling.
WE95 Wine Enthusiast

. It would be easy to mistake this herbally complex, texturally taut and tantalizingly fresh Cabernet Franc for a Loire Valley bottling, which is the inspiration. Aromas of just-ripe boysenberry, green tobacco and wet rocks lead into a tightly woven palate full of crunchy cranberry, chaparral shrubs and lingering carnation. Beware: Bottle empties easily. Editors’ Choice.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

It is currently sunny and 70°F.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Happy birthday to Amelia Earhart.

Both of our parents are no longer with us but I hope those that still have parents make the most of today.

It is the birthday of my dearest cousin today.

She will be 62.

Excellent quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Polynesia is on my wish list.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220724_114140.jpg

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

I salute Amelia Earhart, I wonder what really happened to her?  I don't see some of my cousins very often.  I'm going to visit my mum this afternoon.🙂

I like the quote.

I think I'll like the meal, looking forward to the recipe.

The drink sounds good.

The wine sounds interesting, I wonder if I can find it here?  I'll look.

We got a bit of rain overnight, and more coming today.  We really need it.  Bertie and I have been out for a short walk, we'll go out again and dodge the raindrops.  He doesn't mind, but sometimes I do.

Prayers for everyone.  Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days.  I will happily celebrate Amelia, my dear cousins & my wonderful parents in heaven. Great quote by Charlotte Brontë.  

Looking forward to hearing about today’s meal.  Nuka Hiva is a very pretty island. 👍

It’s going to be another scorcher today.  There’s talk of some wicked storms in parts of the U.S. and Canada.  For those in their path, stay safe & for those still stuck with the high heat, stay hydrated and safe.  After all, you want to make it until wine time 😉 

C1945BAB-AE75-4D37-AD73-B879E745160D.jpeg.238fdf81696d18d80e89b645d1dbf708.jpeg

I hope @JazzyVgot her power back 🤞 

Well, I better get outside while the getting is good - it will be too hot all too soon 😔 

664842F8-28C6-472D-BFAF-C601F1187C32.thumb.jpeg.c678c18fcc521b7e278b4411b6183cae.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

931C604F-3AC4-4A42-AA76-2DBA0BB5F219.jpeg.bc21fd511a1e72364b6ae2181f843440.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich and Graham for the message (Is something so short a sermon of a homily).  My parents have been gone for over 2 decades now but left a lasting legacy.  I cherish my remaining cousins although none live close to me.  Amelia Earhart was a great pioneer and a sad loss.  Been to NukaHiva just once in 2018.  Love the Bronte quote.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons, and Topfen Palatcchinken  as served on my first Prinsendam Mariner Brunch August 3, 2011.

Today’s care list:

JazzyV without power
ger_77 losing cruising friend
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
The locks at Ijmuiden
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistent problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Royal Lifesaving Medal for ger_77 DS
Tigers in the finals
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Aliaschief in Scotland until 8/13
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

The word shakshuka, rooted in Arabic means shaken together or mixed, which is the perfect way to describe this dynamic mixture of flavors and endless options for combinations. Classic Shakshuka is a simple dish made of gently poached eggs in a delicious chunky tomato and bell pepper sauce. Said to have originated in Tunisia, this breakfast recipe is popular in many parts of North Africa and the Middle East.

Green shakshuka uses any greens that you may have in your refrigerator.  It can be eaten for breakfast lunch or dinner.  For a heartier dinner, you could serve it with a side of meat.

This recipe has spinach, kale, and brussels sprouts, and perfectly steam-poached eggs nestled in. It's garnished with feta cheese.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/green-shakshuka-recipe/

Green shakshuka in skillet with spinach and kale. Topped with feta

This easy, one-pan dish is filled with shaved brussels sprouts, spinach, zucchini, and poached eggs. https://downshiftology.com/recipes/green-shakshuka/

A single portion of green shakshuka topped with avocado.

This recipe includes Swiss chard, black beans, avocado and lime for a Mexican twist. https://deannasdaughter.com/?p=19648

image.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

We had a little bit more rain yesterday than our normal summer afternoon showers which included the usual thunder and lightning, I'm sure our golf course will be cart paths only today. 

I like the quote.

No idea what the meal of the day is.

Amelia Earhart was a great aviator and it was so sad that she lost her life at such a young age, a day in her honor is well deserved.

Two of my cousins also happened to be some of the best friends I ever had, we had some fun times when in our youth.

2 weeks to go for us on another cruise on the Equinox, after the Eurodam the Equinox is our favorite ship.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 22

Well, the rest of my post disappeared. Today is supposed to be the last day of the heatwave. Stormy tomorrow afternoon. 
I googled port of Rotterdam and there is a webcam for the Erasmus bridge with a great view of our Rotterdam.

Stay cool 

• Like 22

Good morning  everyone. Last night,almost all of us had a float in the neighbors  pool when it was close to dusk.The houses here are built into the side of a hill and our neighbor is perched right above Van Cortlandt  Park.We watched the wildlife settle in the dusk and just enjoyed being cool.Lovely!

My DB and I decided many years ago that our parents did the best they could under the circumstances. They have been gone for a long time now and that is a good way to remember  them.

My executive  chef wants to try the green shakuska  today.I will have to get some bell peppers and more eggs but it sure sounds and looks good to me.Thank you Tina  @0106

@JazzyV,Vanessa, I hope the power comes back soon.It is still so awfully hot everywhere .

@StLouisCruisers. Sandi, good luck to Ren and his team.

@cat shepard,I am so glad to hear of your clean bill of health from the Dr!  And the memes are a hoot.

@mamaofami, I hope your DS is better soon.

We have had quiet days here and appreciate  them. Tana has had a few visitors  and seems less anxious.It is good to see.

Terry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Effen Green Apple Cooler cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts EFFEN® Green Apple Vodka
3 parts Lemonade
1 part Lemon-Lime Soda
Garnish: Green Apple Slices

Instructions
Build over fresh ice in a Collins glass in the order listed. Garnish with a skewered green apple slice.

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 8.37.03 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Daily.  Today's wine and cocktail both look great. The dish I will pass undercooked eggs not for me.   Prayers for those on Roy's care report.   

It is going to blow today and will be cooler.  I plan on dividing Japanese Iris and moving gravel.   My pile of gravel and the multitude of chipmunks I feed and a pretty bluegill by a sunken tree in the middle of a cove.  

IMG_20220724_072851595.jpg

_cAzHldlSqKcJ482z657iA.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I hope some day there are definitive answers as to what happened to Amelia Earhart; she was a real pioneer.  I appreciate the cousins I have, even though they're not close by.  I was blessed with great parents who adopted me; my siblings didn't have the same good fortune.

It's a nice, cool morning, but the temps will be creeping up again close to 30C, so we'll enjoy having all the windows open for a while longer.  We certainly live with a wide range of temperatures - yesterday we both were wearing our bunny hugs, and today we'll be back to shorts and t-shirts.  At least we don't have to shovel anything right now.  LOL

@JazzyVI'm sorry to hear your power is still out - was it caused by a storm?

@smitty34877It's nice to know that Tana's anxiety is a little better; I bet it helps to have visitors from the "outside".

@StLouisCruisersgood luck to the Tigers!

I'd love to try today's drink - I'll bet it would be very refreshing on a hot summer's day.  Today's wine also caught my attention, especially the note about the bottles emptying easily.  LOL   That seems to be a trend at my house!  

Not a lot happening here today, just have to do a quick grocery run to get some ingredients for tonight's dinner.  I think I'll cut up a pork loin into chops that DH will cook on the barbecue and serve them alongside dilled potatoes and coleslaw.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who remain so brave.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list and to remember our dear departed friend.  Be safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from sunny, breezy central Texas.  Our weather is still the same, hot.

Amelia Earhart was n aviation pioneer and an amazing woman.  I am not close to my cousins.  Even though my parents many years ago, I still honor them.

The quote is interesting and should be true for all of us.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds interesting.

We have been to Nuka Hiva twice.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry you are still without power.  Hope it is restored soon.

@smitty34877  Terri, it is good news that Tana seems less anxious and there have been good days.

@StLouisCruisers  Fingers 🤞 for a win today for the Tigers.

@cat shepard  Ann, another great meme from the girls.

@kazu  Jacqui, don't get too hot in the garden today.

We have been fortunate to visit Nuka Hiva twice. in 2002 on the Volendam APEC cruise and in 2004 on the Tahitian Princes.  In 2002, there were no tours offered as it was a relatively new port, but we were lucky to find a French lady who gave tours in her Land Rover Discovery.  The first group of pictures are from our 2002 tour.   We were there shortly after Survivor Nuka Hive was aired. 

On our tour, we drove into the interior of the island, and our first stop was at a small hotel and restaurant where we had a beer and fried taro, which was good.  We also got a look at their hydroponic garden and some of their fields.  I thought the gardens might interest the Garden Club.

IMG_2267.thumb.JPG.2d7df6079833af6e4a3e82451a7209ed.JPG

IMG_2275.thumb.JPG.b57e376e2701224d01d75db0644247f0.JPG

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.411afacf4c9e737b2f123069656cc128.JPG

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.fe759fb853ce75c33861a1be862955c0.JPG

A look down at the road and a village nestled in a valley

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.52c74943e747010052e95bbe21c698ab.JPG

IMG_2298.thumb.JPG.119f80e60409bae44ae2a443d0e284a2.JPG

Our next stop was a marae, a Polynesian religious site.

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.5e8d34ce6fedeb28e62bd179a928b2d4.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.331b8ec162ad50f8e1fa9f52e0254762.JPG

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.c9fd2a5e944a3e912672ad7dae0e3d7c.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

Next was the remains of a church

IMG_2328.thumb.JPG.9445d34d757b8f4dd7f9caea750fdca5.JPG

Back in town, we stopped at the local church and a statue of John Paul II

IMG_2334.thumb.JPG.eb797aa4e44d3cf8beda17b1579fe382.JPG
IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.efbcee029b0d322147cde545c032ce7f.JPG

Back at the dock, the Executive Chef, F&B Manager, etc, were buying the fresh catch from local fishermen.  They told us the fish were for the crew and not for the passengers.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.8779b4b20769e60cadffb49430add248.JPG

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.6c9de4c8357926c090e3f16f61ca679c.JPG

In 2004, we stayed in town and walked around.  We also took a truck to a restaurant on top of a hill where we had the most expensive cokes at $7 each.  The expensive view of town from the restaurant and the restaurant.

IMG_3977.thumb.JPG.da09e525e6d4ef5b821247d0c9169e15.JPG

IMG_3982.thumb.JPG.9e227b69d202ac6f94eb393dac6b6d36.JPG

A pretty tree or bush

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.9c58ca92c0b7be21b907de7fcbcce818.JPG

The tender dock

IMG_3987.thumb.JPG.499f2642f65678e665f50cd26a6acb48.JPG

The sunset at Nuka Hiva

IMG_3990.thumb.JPG.342940b98cb7f72a1b14d8e68a3d7457.JPG

The beach were Survivor was filmed.  It was not really that isolated, and the crew stayed in the village back from the beach.  

IMG_2306.thumb.JPG.e0a8820e960a80dfcf08dd6c80cf2cee.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone. Thanks Rich and all who make this a great place. We finally got news that the offer on the house I was getting for me son was signed. Only three days after the offer expired but I will continue as it is the best house we have found so far and will require only a day or two to get it move in ready. Not that he has a lot to move. When he drove across country to join me and his brother in Mobile he sold everything and brought only what he could pack in his car. It will be fun to help him furnish the place. Life is always interesting. 

• Like 28

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Another hot day here, hopefully some relief tomorrow.  Made a quick Aldi run before the heat got too high.  On yesterday’s errand run DH’s ac stopped working in his car.  If we go anywhere today I guess I’m driving. 

@JazzyV I hope your electric comes back soon.

I could go for a couple of margaritas today!

image.thumb.png.b906b944e9bf814184691d1133dd6851.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 6