3 people cruising in one room

Flyinj311

I think I made a mistake. I booked an ocean view room for 3 people (sister, dad, and I) and as I’ve never booked more than 2 people I wanted to see what the bed lay out was like. I wanted a bed for each person so requested twins but now I’m concerned one of us won’t have one as I can’t find any pictures of more than 2 beds in an ocean view room. Do I need to upgrade to a suit? That’s a lot of extra money. 😔 will be on Grand Princess to Alaska room e101 in less than 3 weeks

9 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

This video shows room E106 which as far as I can tell should be identical to E101.

There are 4 single beds, two of which fold down from the wall.

You sir, are amazing. Thank you so much. That video was perfectly explained and I appreciate you going through all the cabin and explaining the shower height (I’m short so it wouldn’t matter but I never thought if everyone else would be able to fit!) thank you so much again!

It’s late and I’m not near my computer.  I am not sure if you are on the 8/3 or 8/10 Grand cruise.  

You mentioned that you are in E 101.  I don’t know if there will be a price difference, but here are my reasons to moving your cabin to the Plaza Deck (5):

1. A little more toward the center of the ship.

2.  More importantly, there are public bathrooms nearby on Deck 5, 6, and 7.  None on deck 8.

3.  Be absolutely sure you have a quad cabin.  I’m guessing if you picked 3 passengers, it would default to a quad.  Some deck maps indicate quads with a red dot.

4.  My trick is to being magnetic hooks and a cloth shower curtain to create a privacy area for changing or reading if everyone else goes to sleep.  Let me know if you need design plans.

5.  By choosing the Plaza Deck, you will have more public areas to sit outside of your cabin.

good luck.  You will love the Grand Princess. 

• Like 2

I would stay home before I'd sail with 3 adults in an ocean view cabin. These cabins are tiny. If you can move up to at least a balcony cabin which isn't great either but much better you might still be talking to each other at the end of the cruise. A mini suite would be more tolerable for 3 adults, at least there is a sofa to sit on. 

• Like 3

I think you're going to be fine as long as you confirm that you really *do* have a quad room.  (I seriously doubt that the system would have let you book it if all did not fit.) 

I see that you are new to Cruise Critic.  Welcome!  You did not mention whether you are new to cruising.  Based on the nature of your question I suspect this may be the case.  My concern would be that a really cramped cabin might taint your perception of cruising such that you will not have any interest in future cruising.  In my personal opinion, a quad cabin like that is best suited for a couple with 2 smaller children.  However, if this is what your budget allows at this time (and everyone involved understands this) then put yourself into the mindset that "it's just a place to sleep and shower" and our *real* fun will be outside the cabin and/or off the ship in ports.  If you can do this...you'll have a great time.  (Just my 2 cents worth...)

• Like 6

I have done a transpacific cruise (28 days) in a quad inside.  It was a multi-generation trip with my mother, daughter (10), and neice (17).

The key to space issues is to not plan on spending much time in the room.  We picked a location that was very close to common areas.  I would get up in the morning and get coffee for myself and my mother, and we would sit out on the back deck and watch the wake, while we enjoyed our coffee.  I would then go to the gym, do a quick workout and then shower there (much larger than cabin shower).  We kept the room as more of a quiet area (shower, dress, nap, read, sleep).

If you can afford more space, great, but don’t put off the cruise if you can’t. There are many ways you can make it work for your party. Just go into it with expectations of doing things outside the room as the default.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone! This is my 2nd cruise but first to Alaska! I previously went to Cabo and had a balcony cabin however I didn’t spend hardly enough time in cabin to justify the price. As 2 of us are busy bodies and will be going to most of the entertainment or deck, I’m honestly not worried about the space issue. I was just worried about the actual 3 bed issue instead of the two. 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flyinj311 said:

Thanks everyone! This is my 2nd cruise but first to Alaska! I previously went to Cabo and had a balcony cabin however I didn’t spend hardly enough time in cabin to justify the price. As 2 of us are busy bodies and will be going to most of the entertainment or deck, I’m honestly not worried about the space issue. I was just worried about the actual 3 bed issue instead of the two. 😁

I’ve done at least 6 cruises with 4 adult females in an inside cabin…no problems…fun actually!!

My co-workers and I would cruise together twice a year. 
We would always grab a cabin near the spa or gym area in order to utilize the extra showers. I mean who spends much time in their cabin anyway?

Have a great cruise!!

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 1

I have cruised several times with 3 people in one room.  Insides and oceanviews, mostly.  Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.  It does take a little cooperation, especially regarding the bathroom.  And patience.  

Fortunately the 2 other people I usually cruise with are my sisters.  Growing up we never lived in a house that had more than 1 bathroom and no one had their own rooms.  So, I guess that prepared us, LOL. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I've gotten to the point where I don't want to share a cabin with anyone, even in a mini suite.  Like to keep my room tidy and keep to my own agenda.

I'm with you on that. Growing up, I had my own room, and I don't like sharing space. I manage to do that happily with my DH, but that's as far as it goes. 😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

In our younger days we often traveled with 3 people in a porthole cabin just so we could cruise more often it was not a big deal. 

Same, but key phrase is younger days, not anymore, for me anyway.

When we first started cruising DH and I picked a cruise on HAL our DD was 12 at the time and they had 3rd and 4th person free in cabin.  We had DD bring a friend to prevent boredom on sea days.  DH and I would get ready for dinner a little earlier than needed.  We would then leave the cabin so DD and friend could shower and get ready.  We'd go have a drink, and they knew  where and when to meet us.  For us, this solved the one male in the cabin.  We also chose a room one deck from public area so BR would be close by if cabin bathroom was being used.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, topspot said:

When we first started cruising DH and I picked a cruise on HAL our DD was 12 at the time and they had 3rd and 4th person free in cabin.  We had DD bring a friend to prevent boredom on sea days.  DH and I would get ready for dinner a little earlier than needed.  We would then leave the cabin so DD and friend could shower and get ready.  We'd go have a drink, and they knew  where and when to meet us.  For us, this solved the one male in the cabin.  We also chose a room one deck from public area so BR would be close by if cabin bathroom was being used.

There are also showers in the gym that are larger than the standard Princess shower

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

Same, but key phrase is younger days, not anymore, for me anyway.

We did this in our 30s and 40s but now travel in suites and mini suites and usually without a 3rd or 4th now that we are in our 60s and 70s

+1 for moving to Plaza deck forward/midforward. That is our go to on Grand Class ships. My wife and I along with 2 children did many cruises in inside cabins. From youth to adult. By the second day everyone will have a routine and things will be fine. I advise you stay in a cabin convenient to public spaces. An inside cabin is for sleeping, showering, and changing. That is all. The best views of Alaska are not from a balcony cabin. The best views of Alaska are from the many, many public areas with blankets, hot chocolate, and a server round tripping the bar and kitchen for you. Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 4

My husband and I cruised with our adult daughter and it was just fine. She’s 22 and brought way too many clothes and filled up every drawer. And she complained about how loudly my husband snores. But other than that, we didn’t suffer any annoyances.

• Like 1