No Show Penalty of $239.00

jamie717

We cruised the Carnival Spirit on July 13th to Alaska and my husband was unable to cruise (work didn't approve his time off), instead of cancel he just didn't show up and Carnival has assessed a $239.00 penalty.  I haven't called yet but was wondering if anyone is familiar with such a fee? Also, we did have Carnival insurance but the fee was assessed before ever submitting a claim.

• Like 1

Following......

Maybe an offset for single occupancy?

I haven't heard this before.  Usually you just lose the cruise fare and are refunded port fees, taxes, any pre-purchases like cheers etc.

2 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

We cruised the Carnival Spirit on July 13th to Alaska and my husband was unable to cruise (work didn't approve his time off), instead of cancel he just didn't show up and Carnival has assessed a $239.00 penalty.  I haven't called yet but was wondering if anyone is familiar with such a fee? Also, we did have Carnival insurance but the fee was assessed before ever submitting a claim.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

We cruised the Carnival Spirit on July 13th to Alaska and my husband was unable to cruise (work didn't approve his time off), instead of cancel he just didn't show up and Carnival has assessed a $239.00 penalty.  

How was this penalty assessed?? Was it added to your on board account?

This seems pretty strange for a regular no show.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

Carnival has assessed a $239.00 penalty

If its a penalty, did they refund the rest of the fare?  Curious, how did it show up - was it on your S&S card just listed as penalty?

I wouldn't think it would be a 'single' penalty.  I always thought them keeping the full fare covered the single supplement, and plus the fact that you cancelled literally on the day of sailing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Maybe an offset for single occupancy?

I haven't heard this before.  Usually you just lose the cruise fare and are refunded port fees, taxes, any pre-purchases like cheers etc.

That is probably what it is.  As wemjam said - everything else should be refunded to whatever form of payment it was made on.  CCL may be tightening up its' penalties, just as it is tightening up the  stockholder credit allowed.

• Like 3

We were booked in a suite with 3 occupants and my husband was listed as second passenger.  On the 18th I received an email stating the penalty was assessed as a cancellation.  I do intend to call Carnival, I just didn't want to waste anyones time if this was a normal situation that I was simply unaware of.  We've had a no show in the past with no penalty added and I thought it would be the same this time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

We were booked in a suite with 3 occupants and my husband was listed as second passenger.  On the 18th I received an email stating the penalty was assessed as a cancellation.  I do intend to call Carnival, I just didn't want to waste anyones time if this was a normal situation that I was simply unaware of.  We've had a no show in the past with no penalty added and I thought it would be the same this time.

The third person was likely charged less than the first two. My guess is $239 less.

• Like 9

Having looked up the date I received the email I think I might know what happened.

We were cruising three people, myself as passenger #1, my husband as passenger #2 and our child as #3.  Passengers 1 and 2 were to receive OBC of $100 per person and when I realized they were not giving my husbands OBC I went to guest services to inquire.  I figured Carnival would automatically treat our daughter as passenger #2 and since passenger #3 is sailing at a deeply discounted rate I wasn't going to put in a claim with my Carnival insurance (Cancel any reason for 25%).  Guest Services rep said no, husband stays as #2 passenger (No OBC) and daughter stays as #3.  I asked if I were to use my Carnival insurance would it go towards my husband as #2 passenger and therefore refund his cruise fare (significantly higher than #3) at 75%? She said yes and now I'm thinking she went ahead and cancelled my husband and got the "refund" started but all I received was the notification of the penalty amount. Whew, sorry, that was long!!  Now I just need to call Carnival and see if my thought process is correct.  Thank you for the questions, it made me think a little harder! 😆

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

We had a similar situation in March. We booked 4 people in a suite and one could not go. The email I received showed a cancellation fee of $199 which was the fare for the 4th person. We did get the port fees and taxes back as a credit on my credit card. 

Edited by tytanbri
  • Like 2

When I went to Alaska in May..my Wife did not want to go, but I still went, and we cancelled her about 50 days prior to sailing, I was still charged double occupancy and was charged a $99 dollar penalty. my PVP said, and he was correct that we booked it with a $99 non refundable deposit so we ate the deposit. and he rebooked the Cabin under just me.

Now yours was a no show. and he didn't cancel

I've heard a lot of no shows happening and my Family has had no shows.... I have heard every time that they reimburse the port fees and taxes as well as pre payed tips and carnival booked excursions..

Why a penalty this time. *shrug* I would make phone calls asking why and keep asking until your 100% satisfied that you owe the money or they let you off the hook

• Like 2

I sailed on Carnival in April and had to cancel my grandson who was not able to go.  I was thinking about just having him be a "no show" upon check in but called Carnival instead 5 days after I had made final payment to cancel him from my booking because I know the ships are capacity controlled.  The Carnival Rep I spoke to said because it was after final payment, she would have to charge me a penalty and refund the taxes and port fees.  She put me on hold and came back after about 10 minutes and said she spoke with her supervisor and asked for permission to cancel the penalty fee but informed me that in the future, any cancellations made after final payment would be charged a penalty fee.  Now, whenever I book a cruise, I designate the second person in my stateroom as a "TBD", (to be determined).  

• Like 1

I believe that if you cancel a person already booked in your stateroom, you will get a refund of taxes and port fees regardless of when you cancelled.  I have read numerous threads on CruiseCritic that suggest you wait until you are checking in on sail date to cancel someone booked in your stateroom as a "no show" without incurring a penalty fee. I don't know if other cruisers have had the same experience but the Rep definitely told me that I would incur a penalty before she talked to her supervisor.  Now, this happened when Carnival was anxious to sail full and did not charge me a penalty.  She did not tell me how much the penalty fee would have been..

I have another cruise booked for November on Carnival and again, the second person in the room will not be able to travel.  I called Carnival prior to final payment and advised them there would only be one passenger in the stateroom and I was advised the same thing.  I was told that if I had waited until after final payment , I would have incurred a penalty.

Has anyone been charged a fee when cancelling a "no show" at check-in at the port?

I read another post recently where they were charged the non-refundable deposit for the no-show even though the fare is the same for single and double occupancy. I can understand the loop-hole on their end but I would be salty if I had to pay an extra amount over the fare I have already paid.

I am with @tattoos, in the future, I will enter my second as TBD until the absolute last minute.

Other scenarios I have had to deal with is the name change fee....that is another reason why I always book the second person in my room as a TBD.  Paying the full fare for the invisible second person in my room is bad enough, I'm trying to avoid any additional fees.  

2 hours ago, shortyjoesmith said:

I read another post recently where they were charged the non-refundable deposit for the no-show even though the fare is the same for single and double occupancy. I can understand the loop-hole on their end but I would be salty if I had to pay an extra amount over the fare I have already paid.

I am with @tattoos, in the future, I will enter my second as TBD until the absolute last minute.

How does this help?  Not being snarky or anything, generally curious as I currently have 2 rooms booked with 2nd guest TBD on each.  These might actually end up being unfilled, so trying to figure out the best way to do it.  What’s the difference if it’s TBD or a name, other than a possible name change situation?

Hi,

I've been holding my second person as TBD also but I always add the information right before final payment.  Are some of you saying that you can leave it TBD until after final payment?  Holding out as long as possible would be awesome but I don't want to mess up my reservation.

Thanks,

Tina

My experience with Carnival on cruises that I booked the second person in my room as a TBD, I was informed that I needed to identify or cancel that person prior to final payment date or I would be charged a penalty.

2 hours ago, tattoos said:

My experience with Carnival on cruises that I booked the second person in my room as a TBD, I was informed that I needed to identify or cancel that person prior to final payment date or I would be charged a penalty.

It is automatic if you book on Carnival.com for it to be TBA and your last name and birthdate for all other passengers in your room. If you call and talk about your booking with the TBA in place they will press you for names. Needless to say I don't call to talk about the booking because I want the flexibility of TBA. I never know who is going to go when I book something 2 years out. 

Edited by n6uqqq

On 7/27/2022 at 7:29 PM, tattoos said:

I believe that if you cancel a person already booked in your stateroom, you will get a refund of taxes and port fees regardless of when you cancelled.  I have read numerous threads on CruiseCritic that suggest you wait until you are checking in on sail date to cancel someone booked in your stateroom as a "no show" without incurring a penalty fee. I don't know if other cruisers have had the same experience but the Rep definitely told me that I would incur a penalty before she talked to her supervisor.  Now, this happened when Carnival was anxious to sail full and did not charge me a penalty.  She did not tell me how much the penalty fee would have been..

I have another cruise booked for November on Carnival and again, the second person in the room will not be able to travel.  I called Carnival prior to final payment and advised them there would only be one passenger in the stateroom and I was advised the same thing.  I was told that if I had waited until after final payment , I would have incurred a penalty.

Has anyone been charged a fee when cancelling a "no show" at check-in at the port?

You don't cancel a no show. They just don't show. You never volunteer anything. Don't supply the rope for them to hang you 🤣

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 12:13 PM, jamie717 said:

If your husband requested time off and it was not approved then send the bill to his job with an itimized statement of damages including this No Show and ask his work for a 100 percent Future Cruise with Air  for both of you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travelplus said:

If your husband requested time off and it was not approved then send the bill to his job with an itimized statement of damages including this No Show and ask his work for a 100 percent Future Cruise with Air  for both of you.

They may have all the time in the world to cruise when his employer gets done laughing at this request and tells him he done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3