Chicken, chicken every where but not an ounce of Beef!

Cruisegoer

3 hours ago, rlbeck said:

Hi Denny! We are going to check this out for ourselves in a couple of weeks on the Summit. 🙂 Always have liked the Celebrity buffets.

Last week the buffet was 75% daily repeat except the grand buffet on the last day’s lunch. Daily feature changed approximately 3 dishes and Indian selections varied.  The rest was the same.  I walked thru the dinner buffet and that was mostly repetitive to lunch buffet as well.

• Like 1

I saw the same on Summit in June.  First day jumbo chicken legs were a lunch headliner when we boarded.  We love Summit but have to agree on a downslide in Oceanview.  Nacho station was always packed, as was panini station.  Not sure if its because of availability of product, or price cutting issues, or both.  Summit is very expensive to Bermuda outta Bayonne.  Never felt this way on several past Bermuda sailings, but this time, truly agree.  

Just off Equinox and can't say I even noticed this. We were so happy with the changing Indian dishes that I never even looked for beef at the buffet! Although I do remember seeing a fair amount of fried chicken one day (maybe more than one day), which seemed a little different. But neither of us was looking for roast beef or prime rib, so I admit we wouldn't have even recognized if it was there or not...

I might expect this in the Oceanview but just looking at the menus on our September cruise on the Solstice and saw that the same is true in the MDR.  Meals are more meatloaf and chicken and less steak and lobster.  On our last cruise a couple of months ago on the Summit, the New York strip steak was about 1/2 inch thick.  I ordered it only once.

Edited by earlydiner

I will be on a 9 night cruise on beyond. 3 Caribbean Sea days I’ll have lunch in port. 

I think I can find enough to eat for 6 lunches in OV. Surely I can find a good burger and fries somewhere 1-2 of those days. Salads a few other days. Indian food or Asian stir fry sounds good too. Chicken legs sound pretty good actually. Do they make fried chicken ?  

17 hours ago, calicakes said:

I for one, never though the food quality in OV was amazing.  After all, it is a buffet serving thousands.  I tend to stick to the vegetarian Indian options or salad.  Someone mentioned they never had any berries on their Baltic cruise and yet berries are so prevalent in the summer months. 

Totally true.  There is only so much any food served in such mass quantity can provide.  Not a buffet person, well maybe yogurt in sealed containers.  When people start talking about it not being freshly prepared etc....I always just think, AHHH that is what the MDR's and specialty's are for, buffets obviously serve a purpose and that is to feed the masses.  But if I were a buffet person, mostly chicken would suit me just fine, other than lamb on occasion I no longer eat red meat, so cluck cluck, a little bahh bahh and gurgling fish from the sea makes me very happy. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, earlydiner said:

I might expect this in the Oceanview but just looking at the menus on our September cruise on the Solstice and saw that the same is true in the MDR.  Meals are more meatloaf and chicken and less steak and lobster.  On our last cruise a couple of months ago on the Summit, the New York strip steak was about 1/2 inch thick.  I ordered it only once.

1/2" strip steak?!  Shall I joke about all the steak being 'stripped' out of that dish?

• Haha 1

I'll report back after our upcoming Reflection cruise.  However, I think( I've seen this at restaurants) with the rising food prices, every food service establishment is looking to cut back on expenses.  Were there ever berries on the buffet?  Removing expensive meat options is one way. 

Do folks eat meat heavy meals at lunch?  I for one, prefer quality over quantity, which is why we switched lines( to Oceania).  This upcoming cruise is using FCC, but after this, we're back to Oceania.  The food was so good, especially the pastries.  

I hate waste too, it irks me when I see full plates of food left on tables.  I try to take a small amount to see if I like it and then if I want more, I go back for more.  

Funny story, when I was a kid, I would watch LOVE BOAT and I would drool at the "midnight buffet".  I wanted to go on a Princess cruise so badly.  LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'll report back after our upcoming Reflection cruise.  However, I think( I've seen this at restaurants) with the rising food prices, every food service establishment is looking to cut back on expenses.  Were there ever berries on the buffet?  Removing expensive meat options is one way. 

Do folks eat meat heavy meals at lunch?  I for one, prefer quality over quantity, which is why we switched lines( to Oceania).  This upcoming cruise is using FCC, but after this, we're back to Oceania.  The food was so good, especially the pastries.  

I hate waste too, it irks me when I see full plates of food left on tables.  I try to take a small amount to see if I like it and then if I want more, I go back for more.  

Funny story, when I was a kid, I would watch LOVE BOAT and I would drool at the "midnight buffet".  I wanted to go on a Princess cruise so badly.  LOL

Your line about the midnight buffet cracks me up!  I remember the first cruise I ever went on (so long ago that it was the Carnival's Carnivale)...couldn't wait to try the midnight buffet, managed to stay awake for it and it was mostly cold cuts.  Yep, I had stayed up for bologna LOL.

On our last cruise in March of this year, food was very good in the MDR, OV and Murano - large variety of everything. I am not a big meat eater, but FM in MDR was excellent.

I guess inflation has not kicked in yet. Will see what will be in November.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would mention how I’m going to “beat up” the staff if I don’t get some beef.  But then I’d get in trouble.  😂

Be careful what you wish for.  I have stayed away from the beef carving station at the Oceanview as I found it tough.  But it is a good workout eating it. 😀 If you want excellent beef, splurge for a Specialty Restaurant.  

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I miss the midnight buffet or at least the gourmet bites the staff used to carry around in public areas. Some of us early diners like having some snacks to take the edge off our late night drinking lol.

That being said, I hope there's beef on the buffet. I'm bringing my 12 year old son on my next cruise and he's currently on a beef and bacon kick. Maybe I should call Celebrity and warn them that he currently is eating like four adult men despite being skinny as a rail 😄

52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would mention how I’m going to “beat up” the staff if I don’t get some beef.  But then I’d get in trouble.  😂

Indeed....but if you were to instead threaten to 'beef them up', that would be acceptable.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

If you order two of them, and stack them up, you have a 1" thick steak.

Reminds me of the poster who complained the TP was only 2-ply……i told him to fold it once for 4-ply, add another for 6-ply, and so on…..

den

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, calicakes said:

Someone mentioned they never had any berries on their Baltic cruise and yet berries are so prevalent in the summer months. 

On the Equinox in June, I found that you could only get berries for breakfast in the main dining room!  They didn't put them out in the buffet.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:46 PM, Cruisegoer said:

Okay yes I’m being a bit facetious but has anyone else felt the slide in food quality at the Oceanview Cafe?  just off the Summit 7 day Bermuda and chicken legs were the main meat!  Having sailed the Apex in February perhaps I am a bit spoiled but no steaks on the grill, no leg of lamb at the carving station, it was a bit disappointing.  My best guess is that inflationary pressures are causing meat selection to be somewhat limited. Still love the overall product however.

Mor Chikin, Fewer Cows? | Patch PM - Decatur, GA Patch