Euros How to handle?

kenphy

We have never been to Europe before.  We are booked on a HAL cruise in the Mediterranean next May, and we are trying to figure out what to do about money.  It is apparent that pretty much only Euros are used, but what does that mean?  Do we have to bring lots of Euros in cash, can we use credit/debit cards anywhere, do we still tip in American dollars on the ship, and how safe is it to have lots of Euros in cash?   

We have been on 17 cruises, but never to Europe, so we are confused.  I imagine lots of people can answer this, but we are in the planning stage.

Thanks to all!

Yes you can use credit/debit cards in Europe. While you can tip in US$, the workers on the cruise ship are sailing in Europe and would probably prefer receiving tips in Euros so they don't have to spend their off hours going to a bank to exchange.

When you cruise elsewhere how much cash do you take?  The same applies to Europe.

FYI - depending on your itinerary, some countries might not use Euros but have their own currency; they will still take credit cards.

• Like 1

Credit cards are very widely accepted in most tourist destinations in Europe. If your cruise is Northern Europe, they are probably more commonly used than cash. In southern European countries they are still very common but you may run across the occasional (usually small) establishment that prefers cash.

Since I travel to Europe regularly, I keep a stash of around 60-100 euros on hand just as a convenience. Once in Europe I use ATMs to replenish cash as needed.  I find I use much less cash than even 10 years ago.

I do not recommend carrying a large amount of cash around. When sightseeing, leave the majority of your cash and at least one (spare) credit card in your hotel room or cabin just in case you're pickpocketed. Pick-pocketing is rampant in many tourist destinations in Europe and they are very good at parting you from your money and credit cards.  If you are traveling and have to carry your money, make it as secure as you can -- e.g., in a money belt, secret pouch or inside pocket pinned shut, etc.

• Like 4

When we cruised to Europe, we took a stash of Euros. About $350 worth per person as we wanted to minimize issues with using a credit card. Most banks in the US can provide the Euros.  BOA will even mail it to you at home. 

We just carried what we needed for each port stop and stored the rest in the cabin's safe.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

Excellent advice from Cruisemom 42. If this is your first trip to Europe I highly recommend  gett8ng and reading the Rick Steves Mediterranean  Cruise guidebook. Besides dealing with the usual ports and their attractions, you'll find a wealth of information about the minutiae of money matters, getting around, how to DIY excursions, etc.

I would also recommend reading on the Med Ports boards, the Euros question is discussed there almost daily.

I second the notion that credit cards are accepted virtually everywhere. Pre-Covid, we did a land tour...3 weeks, ate out every day, big towns and small, and we spent around 200 euros in cash. Everything else was on credit cards.

The crew will accept tips in whatever currency you give. I definitely would not take euros just for the tips for crew.

16 minutes ago, mom says said:

Excellent advice from Cruisemom 42. If this is your first trip to Europe I highly recommend  gett8ng and reading the Rick Steves Mediterranean  Cruise guidebook. Besides dealing with the usual ports and their attractions, you'll find a wealth of information about the minutiae of money matters, getting around, how to DIY excursions, etc.

Thanks -- just ordered the book.   We appreciate everyone's help!

Note Master Card and Visa are pretty much accepted everywhere in Europe. American Express is accepted at many fewer places. I am not sure about Discover Card, but would not be surprised if it is pretty much not accepted.

When it comes to money in Europe the same concepts apply as handling dollars while travelling in the US - the pieces of paper look different, but their function is the same — as is the risk involved in carrying large amounts of cash (of any sort).  Credit cards (primarily Visa and Mastercard) are widely accepted and bank ATM’s are plentiful.  Hopefully you have a bank debit card which does not penalize for out-of- network use.  

And, just as in the US, proprietary (non—bank) ATM’s are best avoided.

• Like 1

OP,  lots of excellent advice has been offered.  When I travel in Europe, I will take with me a small amount of Euros so that I don't have to immediately find an ATM, particularly upon arrival at an airport.  I use two credit cards that do not charge a foreign transaction fee with a third card as a back-up in case something happens to the other two.  During sightseeing, I will take one card with me with a small amount of Euros.  I place these in an under the shirt neck pouch.  Keep only some tissues in a pants pocket.  

6 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

When we cruised to Europe, we took a stash of Euros. About $350 worth per person as we wanted to minimize issues with using a credit card. Most banks in the US can provide the Euros.  BOA will even mail it to you at home. 

We just carried what we needed for each port stop and stored the rest in the cabin's safe.

Agree completely with you. Just returned from our Arctic Circle itinerary last week where we needed Euros and Krone. I also easily ordered them from my local B of A. There was only one place in Amsterdam that the merchant would only take a credit card. We too only take a bit of local currency  with us when at a port stop.

In Europe I never convert more than $200 to cash and that was mainly for tour tips and rest rooms.  I buy everything with credit card at home and do the same there.    Since you need such a small amount of money and if you don’t want to preorder money from your bank HAL exchanges money on the ship. Use the remainder at the airport on chocolate.  It is the best conversion.  

• Like 1

Generic foreign currency exchange tip: Don't stress. I’ve seen people jump through all sorts of hoops to avoid a 3% fee. On a $600 exchange. On a $10,000 vacation. 

That said, here’s one “scam” that seems to be growing: The ATM machine* or credit card reader offers to charge your card in US dollars rather than the local currency. Don’t do it. It will undoubtedly use some god awful exchange rate. Just get charged in the foreign currency and let your bank do the exchange. It may not be the best possible rate, but it will be much better that what the ATM will use. 

* redundant, I know. Don’t get me stared on needing a PIN number to use one. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

In Europe I never convert more than $200 to cash and that was mainly for tour tips and rest rooms.  I buy everything with credit card at home and do the same there.    Since you need such a small amount of money and if you don’t want to preorder money from your bank HAL exchanges money on the ship. Use the remainder at the airport on chocolate.  It is the best conversion.  

Wow, you must “rest” a lot. 😎

I have to disagree with spending cash at the airport. Take it home with you. Then you will have to return to spend it on “resting.”

• Like 1

I think it has all been covered here.  Most important is that Amex is not widely accepted. Visa and Mastercard are good.  If your card is chip n pin, then I believe that the pin needs to be only a 4 digit number.

Since the various lockdowns the use of cash has decreased substantially all over Europe.  I have not had a cash transaction in months and months.  Cards are used for even the smallest of transactions.

Although Turkey and Albania do not use the euro, they are sometimes on an Eastern Med itinerary.

Croatia has adopted the euro as its currency from January 1st 2023, so you will be covered there.

• Thanks 1

In the last ten years, the only times I have needed Euros was at a few restrooms where there are attendants. These are often at the more isolated tourist sites. Spain, Portugal, Turkey and Israel, to name a few. Maybe a few kiosks here and there. 

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

In the last ten years, the only times I have needed Euros was at a few restrooms where there are attendants. These are often at the more isolated tourist sites. Spain, Portugal, Turkey and Israel, to name a few. Maybe a few kiosks here and there. 

While this is mostly true, there have been a few times, even recently where I was surprised that a card wasn't taken -- including my recent trip to Germany in late June.  In a couple of smaller towns I visited taxis would not take a credit card and a few other places as well -- small restaurants, a food shop, etc.

Surprising given Germany's development and economy. 

On the plus side, I used the train to get around and it was incredibly easy with the help of a couple of useful apps on which one can look up schedules and buy tickets with a minimum of fuss.  One will even provide your platform and warn of delays....

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Surprising given Germany's development and economy. 

Aren't we strange? 😉

Indeed there might be more places that take cash only in Germany than in some other countries.

Yet, here are just a number of examples from my last couple of month European trips where only cash was taken:

Ice cream from a street vendor

A flea market

Hundreds of Euros at a kind of traditional local festival for drinks and food at the various booths

Postcards

Taxis 

The most delicious porchetta from a small butcher in Rome

Some museums and churches

People who ask for a small contribution

• Like 2