Would you Cruise on a 9,000 Passenger Cruise Ship? I Just Learned There are 2 Being Built (One Already Headed for Scrap)

mnocket

So many Questions as to why a company decided this was a good idea.  First off.... are there many popular ports that could accommodate a cruise ship of this size?

This may be old news to many, but I was amazed when I came across this story.  Would you consider sailing on a ship of this size?

https://jalopnik.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-to-be-scrapped-before-first-1849501828

• Thanks 1

You make the assumption that such a ship would be stopping at ports of call.  More likely was the intent to build a pure floating resort at sea. The ship would have home ported from a port designed to embark and debark it and then spent, 5,7,10 days, whatever it was planned for as your full service floating island.  Not for me, but the company that originally planned it must have felt such a market existed.

It all depends. 50 years ago, we would have laughed at the concept of a 6,000 passenger ship. It's here and it is very popular. As long as venues are proportionately large enough to handle the traffic, then it could probably work. It would likely be very limited to ports.

Although, as evidence from this story, there doesn't seem to be the thirst for that type of ship at this current time. You never know....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mnocket said:

So many Questions as to why a company decided this was a good idea.  First off.... are there many popular ports that could accommodate a cruise ship of this size?

This may be old news to many, but I was amazed when I came across this story.  Would you consider sailing on a ship of this size?

https://jalopnik.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-to-be-scrapped-before-first-1849501828

They clearly didn't complete much fact checking for this article.

Global Dream class of ships, 2 of them, were ordered by Genting's Dream Cruise brand at their own German shipyard. Based on double occupancy they had a capacity of about 5,000 pax. At max capacity, with crew, the total compliment may be close to 9,000. However, they could not carry 9,000 pax.

When Genting and all their brands and shipyard filed for bankruptcy, the Global I was almost complete, so the liquidators are trying to sell the first ship in the Class. The 2nd ship, Global Dream II was early in construction. Since the shipyard was sold and the new owners are not building cruise ships, the partially completed hull of Global II was sold for scrap. 

At 208,000 GT, they do not have as much enclosed space as the RCCL Oasis Class ships.

Since our pax preference is 750 to 1,250, we clearly wouldn't sail on those types of ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

They clearly didn't complete much fact checking for this article.

The other facts they failed to correctly report, is that the ship being scrapped is the Genting Dream II, which exists only as some construction blocks, not a finished ship.  The shipyard where the Genting Dream was built (almost completed), was owned by Genting as well, and is in receivership as well, and the receiver has not gotten any bids yet for the nearly completed ship, but it will not very likely be headed for the scrapyard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

No, not for me.

I've sailed on ships of up to 3,000 passengers and have found that I do not enjoy them as much as smaller ships. Since then I look for smaller ships. Prefer the 750 range of Azamara/Oceania but for a good itinerary I am willing to go up to about 2,200 passengers. 

I have to agree that there are passengers that like small ships, ones that like medium-sized ships, those that like large ships, and those that like the mega-ships.  Those larger than about 1200 passengers are not my first choice, but, as has been stated, the RCL ships in the 6K passenger size are popular.  Some people go for the entertainment at sea, some people go for the solitude at sea, and some go for the ports.  Some say "to-may-to" some say "to-mah-to."

While I prefer small ships, DW and I have taken our grandkids on Disney cruises, and though there were about 2,500 passengers on those cruises, we had a great time on both.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bbwex said:

While I prefer small ships, DW and I have taken our grandkids on Disney cruises, and though there were about 2,500 passengers on those cruises, we had a great time on both.

Thanks for your post.  I am considering a Disney cruise for my Nephew and Niece-in Law and their children (along with me).  I have been wondering if this really is a good idea for me.  

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Another thing is that the ship was designed for the Chinese market,  and cabins are markedly smaller. 

A market that has failed to develop, so far, for several reasons.  If successful in that market, the size might make sense.  

Genting seems to have "eyes" about what they see as possible that is bigger than reality.  

I have had concerns about emergency disembarkation if required within the 30 minute time period for these large ships.  Even ships of the size that Princess and HAL sails could be difficult to manage if "things go South very quickly" and some of the guests and crew panic.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have had concerns about emergency disembarkation if required within the 30 minute time period for these large ships.  Even ships of the size that Princess and HAL sails could be difficult to manage if "things go South very quickly" and some of the guests and crew panic. 

Lots of people misunderstand the "30 minute" evacuation time limit.  Time to muster passengers is not part of this time.  Further, the requirement is that each lifeboat or evacuation system is capable of being prepared, loaded, and launched in 30 minutes, not that the entire ship can be evacuated in 30 minutes.

And, things don't really "go south very quickly".  Even the Concordia, which breached 4 or 5 contiguous watertight compartments (which is considered a very rare occurrence), took nearly two hours to roll over, and it would not have rolled over had it not grounded a second time.  It would have sunk upright, but down by the stern, at a slower rate.  Had the passengers been mustered when the flooding was confirmed (about 10 minutes after striking the rock), the passengers would have been mustered, accounted for, and likely loaded into lifeboats and launched long before the ship sank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, mnocket said:

No,with a capital N

• Like 1

No!  But I don’t think I am their market.  I am sure there are people who would love it

every time these mega ships come up in the news it makes me worry that we are one mega-disaster from killing the industry 

Edited by Mary229

Anything ship carrying much more than 2,000  passengers is too big - aside from the mob at boarding, the limitations of available ports,  the likely crowds on board, the overwhelming of many small ports and the damn ugliness of such ships which look like floating urban public housing, I would prefer being on a ship  which not only appealed to me, but was also likely to be carrying people with a similar feeling about what makes an enjoyable cruise environment.

• Like 1

I think the key responses on this thread were those that pointed out that the ships were not being built to carry 9000 passengers.  It was 9000 people total at full capacity and with all crew.  That's pretty close to RCI's Oasis Class numbers.

I don't blame people for not wanting to cruise on ships that big.  I, on the other hand, have cruised Oasis Class several times and I thought those cruises and the ships were amazing.  I know I'm not alone because those 5 ships always seem to manage to sail full, and with an impressive number of repeat cruisers.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gerryuk said:

I think you will find that the vast majority of posters on here, will say no. The posters on here are only a small fraction of the cruise market though.

Yes, I think that sums up the answer to the original question exactly.

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I think the key responses on this thread were those that pointed out that the ships were not being built to carry 9000 passengers.  It was 9000 people total at full capacity and with all crew.  That's pretty close to RCI's Oasis Class numbers.

I don't blame people for not wanting to cruise on ships that big.  I, on the other hand, have cruised Oasis Class several times and I thought those cruises and the ships were amazing.  I know I'm not alone because those 5 ships always seem to manage to sail full, and with an impressive number of repeat cruisers.    

Yeah.  I'm the OP and it sure seems like the article was poorly researched and written.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

every time these mega ships come up in the news it makes me worry that we are one mega-disaster from killing the industry 

I doubt that would happen.  We have had mega air disasters and that has not killed the airline industry.  Maybe "chilled" it a bit in the minds of some potential passengers?  Probably, yes.  The same kind of reaction is what I would expect if such a disaster would take place again.  After the Costa Concordia accident, a couple of friends, who have never cruised, asked me if I was more "concerned" about being in such a situation.  My answer was "No.  I feel more safe on a ship than I do at home sometimes."  

Lots of debate about ship size among cruisers.  But folks should be tolerant of the fact that this is a different strokes thing.  For folks looking for a short (less than 10 day cruise) on a ship with lots of families, kids, amenities, toys, etc. it is hard to beat the mega ships often seen in the Caribbean.  On the other hand, for those of us doing longer more exotic itineraries (around the world) that often call at relatively small ports, a mega ship is not practical.  Imagine trying to tender 5000 into Santorini!  It would take about 4 hours just to move all those folks one-way on the cable car!   The reality is that many of the exotic ports around the world cannot handle mega ships.  Most folks who go on those more exotic itineraries are not looking for onboard water parks, bumper cars, etc.  

So I do think some folks need to be a little more tolerant.  Because that young couple or family looking for a typical 7 day Caribbean cruise on a ship with lots to do will generally love the huge ships.  And than there are folks like me who would rather be on a 400-600 passenger vessel that includes just about everything (including caviar) and has few children/teens running around screaming, playing , and having a great time.

Hank